GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, The_Marble_Guy), 277 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,772
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278686
11/21/04 09:41 PM
11/21/04 09:41 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
For now, I'll say that the ending was better than the beginning.

It answers many questions, not the least of which is who killed JFK. :rolleyes:

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278687
11/21/04 09:45 PM
11/21/04 09:45 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
not the least of which is who killed JFK. [Roll Eyes]
Maybe JFK didn't die in this version :p :p

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278688
11/21/04 10:05 PM
11/21/04 10:05 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I must agree. At the end we see a glimpse of human inteligence in Winegardener-he didnt try to explain how Tom died. If I get enough time tomarrow to write it, I'll post my review of it.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278689
11/22/04 05:06 AM
11/22/04 05:06 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
I must agree. At the end we see a glimpse of human inteligence in Winegardener-he didnt try to explain how Tom died. If I get enough time tomarrow to write it, I'll post my review of it.
Well, the USA Today story indicates a sequel is already in the works. The resolution of the Tom Hagen-Michael dynamic has to be one of the main themes of that sequel.

"You did good."
Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278690
11/22/04 08:16 AM
11/22/04 08:16 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
***********THIS POST CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS***********

More observations....

-- I agree 100% with Don Provalone in his previous posts. What Puzo originally wrote in The Godfather, and what he co-authored with Coppolla in the three screenplays, is the gospel, even though some details the films do diverge a bit with the original novel.

Any attempt at sequels should stick 100% to the facts already presented by the original author(s).

-- Fredo's involvement in Roth's plot against Michael which lead to his (Fredo's) death, are unbelievably glossed over to the point of ridiculousness. Fredo is a major character in GFR, at least while he is still alive, and while you know his death is coming, you expect a lot more detail (or, at least some). I certainly would have been interested in Winegardner's theory of how the assassination attempt in Tahoe went down and what Fredo's exact role was, but he gives us nothing.

-- No Pentagelli, not even is passing. Even the Rosato Bros. and Don Altobello get at least a mention.

-- One of the things I loved about Puzo's original was the unique writing style that I felt he employed. For me at least, The Godfather had, at certain times, some characteristics of a book that was written in another language (Italian?), and then translated into English.

Whether intentional or not, Puzo uses certain idioms that ordinarily would not be used when writing in English. At one point, Puzo uses the term "racing tracks", rather than "racetracks", he writes of Don Corleone's men "having their pockets stuffed with silver and paper money", and almost always refers to "cars" as "automobiles".

Now, while I'm not saying that Winegardner should have been imitative of Puzo's style, and altho there were a few instances where he was, overall I didn't care for the style in which the book was written.

-- The plot was weak and predicatble to a certain extent...."Michael wants to become completely legitimate, but first he must eliminate his enemies who are plotting against him". Where have we heard that one before?

-- The character of Nick Geraci, who, according to the flyleaf of the book is Michael's "most dangerous adversary yet" and "every bit as deadly and cunning as Michael", is a huge disappointment, and the promise of this character is never delivered. He doesn't even begin to compare with Hyman Roth (to whom the GFR gives an all-too brief acknowledgement) for dangerousness and cunning, and, in fact, can barely be considered any more of a major character than many of the others.

I did like the end of the book far more than the first 400 pages or so. Despite it's many flaws, after reading the whole thing I was naturally curious to see how the plot threads would be tied up.

**********MAJOR SPOILER COMING HERE**********

I particularly liked the way the sub-plot with Franscesca was resolved. The irony of how a phone call from her husband's "whore" girlfriend ( a la Connie & Carlo) led to the death of her husband, and the ironic twist at the end of how Billy was really working for the Corleones, rather than against them.

I also liked the way it was implied that it was the Bocchicchio clan who were responible for the assassination of President Shea as an act of revenge for the death of Carmine Marino, the CIA sponsored would-be assassin of Castro.

***********END OF SPOILERS***********

Anyway, I recommend the book for all Godfather fans, if only to see where a professional writer takes the story.

Fortunately, though, I don't think too many people other than GF fans are gonna read it, and I predict a short run on the bestseller lists, followed by a quick fade into oblivion.

And hopefully, no more sequels by this guy.

Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278691
11/22/04 03:54 PM
11/22/04 03:54 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
For now, I'll say that the ending was better than the beginning.

It answers many questions, not the least of which is who killed JFK. :rolleyes:
*****SPOILER ALERT*****

I finished the book too. I don't think the ending was any better than the beginning. Every preview, review, and even the book itself made Nick Geraci look like he was going to be Mike's
biggest enemy. He turned out to be nothing more than another tool Mike used.When was he ever a real threat to Mike? I must have missed it. The whole book was pretty predictable. Mike has everyone killed that's against him. Yawn. Speaking of killing, the funniest part of the book has to be Hagen and a civilian killing the Head of the Chicago family and his two bodyguards. GMAFB.
:rolleyes:

Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278692
11/22/04 04:33 PM
11/22/04 04:33 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Speaking of killing, the funniest part of the book has to be Hagen and a civilian killing the Head of the Chicago family and his two bodyguards. GMAFB.
The SAME Hagen who wouldn't accept a letter because it COULD POSSIBLY "tarnish" his record and he would no longer be squeaky clean, HE KILLED someone.

yeah that makes a whole lotta sense :rolleyes:

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278693
11/22/04 06:11 PM
11/22/04 06:11 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
I finished the book too. I don't think the ending was any better than the beginning. Every preview, review, and even the book itself made Nick Geraci look like he was going to be Mike's
biggest enemy. He turned out to be nothing more than another tool Mike used.
That's pretty much what I said about Geraci. A big nothing.

You didn't like the two little surprises at the end with Francesca and the Bocchicchios? Those were the only reasons I thought the ending was better than the rest of it.

Re: I Finished It (CONTAINS SPOILERS) #278694
11/22/04 07:19 PM
11/22/04 07:19 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by Just Lou:
[b] I finished the book too. I don't think the ending was any better than the beginning. Every preview, review, and even the book itself made Nick Geraci look like he was going to be Mike's
biggest enemy. He turned out to be nothing more than another tool Mike used.
That's pretty much what I said about Geraci. A big nothing.

You didn't like the two little surprises at the end with Francesca and the Bocchicchios? Those were the only reasons I thought the ending was better than the rest of it. [/b][/quote]I almost thought my book must be missing some chapters when nothing really happened with Geraci. You're 100% correct.... The little surprises were Ok, but by then I knew the book was coming to end and had a very closed mind to anything that was going to happen.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull