GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (VanillaLimeCoke, Irishman12, 2 invisible), 260 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,489
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,915
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,769
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* #278665
11/20/04 12:29 PM
11/20/04 12:29 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline OP
Capo
waynethegame  Offline OP
Capo
Tampa, FL
CAUTION: In my review I do mention some plots and happenings in the book.. so here's another SPOILER WARNING. Proceed at your own risk

Well my book arrived the other day and I just finished reading it yesterday (yeah, I read fast!). I have to say.. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Winegardner tried WAY too hard to mimic the style of the original novel, and failed miserably at it. His writing is just stupid in certain parts, and he throws in a lot of unnecessary description (I know that Puzo did the same, but his descriptions added to the mood. Winegardner's didn't). Some things from GFII weren't mentioned at all or changed completely. The new storylines were ridiculously stupid (Fredo being bi and Sonny's daughter running over her husband) and half the characters didn't act a thing like they did in the movies (for example, Tom shooting that one guy on the gondola).

The writing was decent, but I have to admit the novel came off more like someone's attempt at fanfiction (and not a good one, at that) than an actual sequel. I also didn't like the fact that, while certain characters (Roth, Johnny Ola) were mentioned, important characters like Pentangeli weren't even acknowledged.

So my final verdict is a big thumbs down on The Godfather Returns. It doesn't do the novel or the films any justice at all and half of the plots are too cliche and/or stupid to make the novel enjoyable. I could probably find much better writing online, and not have to pay any money for it.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* #278666
11/20/04 08:17 PM
11/20/04 08:17 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I must say i have to agree with you. Winegardener tried way to hard to squeeze into a writng style which didnt suit him. Did anyone notice there are exactally the same amount of "books" in each book, and if I'm not mistaken, roughly the same amount of chapters in each book, not to mention the flashback in the middle.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* #278667
11/20/04 10:20 PM
11/20/04 10:20 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline OP
Capo
waynethegame  Offline OP
Capo
Tampa, FL
Exactly. Being a Floridian, I publicly apologize for this garbage

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* #278668
11/21/04 03:41 AM
11/21/04 03:41 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Did anyone notice there are exactally the same amount of "books" in each book, and if I'm not mistaken, roughly the same amount of chapters in each book,
He told me that it started unintentionally, but after a while he noticed it. So then he didn't try too hard NOT to follow the same trend, just for fun...

I thought I mentioned that in my "questions?" thread :p

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull