GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 321 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,672
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Article on new Godfather Book #278315
06/22/04 05:13 PM
06/22/04 05:13 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I just thought this was a good read about the new Godfather book and the author.

Quote:
After a search that made international news and resulted in submissions from dozens of established authors, Random House has selected acclaimed novelist Mark Winegardner to continue Mario Puzo's legendary Godfather saga, Random House publisher Gina Centrello announced today.

The announcement was made this morning on NBC's "Today Show," which followed the search over a period of three months. Winegardner, 41, author of the novels Crooked River Burning and The Veracruz Blues, appeared live on the program after a taped segment about the literary manhunt by reporter Jamie Gangel.

Said Winegardner: "I'm honored and thrilled to have this opportunity, and I'm going to do my best to make sure Godfather fans are equally thrilled when they read this book."

Winegardner, along with approximately three dozen other published authors, submitted a detailed proposal to Random House last November, when Random House vice president and executive editor Jonathan Karp announced that the publishing house was searching for a well-regarded novelist at mid-career who, like Mario Puzo when he began The Godfather, wanted to create an artful popular novel about crime and power in America.

"We were looking for an original writer who would bring his own vision to Mario Puzo's mythic characters, just as Francis Ford Coppola did in the films," said Karp. "After being deluged with proposals, it was immediately clear to all of us that Mark Winegardner is the one. Just as book reviewers said of Mario, he is a 22-caliber literary bigshot."

Winegardner, a resident of Tallahassee, Florida, is the director of the creative writing program at Florida State University. His first novel, The Veracruz Blues, uses baseball as a lens through which to contemplate America. "Winegardner's characters are believably white, beleivably black, believably Mexican, believably male, believably female, believably human," said National Book Award-winning novelist David Bradley. The Veracruz Blues was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year in 1996

Winegardner's second novel, Crooked River Burning (2001), is a darkly comic love story set against forty years of social and political upheaval in Cleveland. It was called "brilliant" by The New York Times Book Review and compared to the work of John Dos Passos and E.L. Doctorow. The book also has a prominent organized-crime plot and features several real-life members of the Cleveland mob. In 2002, Winegardner published a collection of his short fiction, That's True of Everybody.

"I'm not a Sicilian, it's true," said Winegardner. "Not even Italian-American. I'm just a novelist with a vision of how to write this book. I am, however, German-Irish, just like Tom Hagen. And he did just fine in this world."

The Godfather Returns will continue the story of the Corleone family, beginning where the action in Mario Puzo's original 1969 novel ends.

Winegardner was selected by Random House; Mario Puzo's son and literary executor, Tony Puzo; and literary agent Neil Olson of Donadio & Olson, which represents the Puzo estate and controls foreign rights. Winegardner was represented by his long-time literary agent, Harriet Wasserman.

Random House hopes to publish The Godfather Returns in the fall of 2004, but those plans are tentative. "We won't publish the book until we're sure it will satisfy millions of Godfather fans," said Karp. "Besides, you don't want to rush the mafia."

Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278316
06/22/04 09:44 PM
06/22/04 09:44 PM
D
Don Rypcord Offline
Don Rypcord of the Ametrano Family
Don Rypcord  Offline
Don Rypcord of the Ametrano Family
D
Button
So, how many Godfather books are there then?

Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278317
06/23/04 03:25 PM
06/23/04 03:25 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
There will be 2 when this one comes out, it and the original one by Puzo.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278318
07/23/04 08:50 AM
07/23/04 08:50 AM
UK
T
the angel of justice Offline
Capo
the angel of justice  Offline
T
Capo
UK
Won't it confuse things somewhat if this book follows on from where the original left off, because that's what the film (part II) does?

So it's either going to confuse things by following a different course or be predictable by following the same one?

"Neri, take a train to Rome. Light a candle for the Archbishop." - Vincenzo Corleone

"But if he betrays me your prayers will not be swift enough to catch him on his way to hell." - Salvatore Guiliano
Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278319
07/24/04 02:48 AM
07/24/04 02:48 AM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
Quote:
Originally posted by the angel of justice:
Won't it confuse things somewhat if this book follows on from where the original left off, because that's what the film (part II) does?

So it's either going to confuse things by following a different course or be predictable by following the same one?
Yea whats going on with that? So basically there is gonna be two part 2s one in a movie, the other a completely different story but in book form?

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278320
07/24/04 09:58 PM
07/24/04 09:58 PM
Desolation Row
Underboss
Underboss
Desolation Row
^^^^My guess is that this new book wil take place after Vito's flashbacks in GF2 and before GF1 ever starts.

Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278321
07/25/04 04:36 PM
07/25/04 04:36 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
But.. the novel explains that timeframe. the third section of the novel ends with something about everything being peaceful until the attempted hit on Vito (i.e. after GFI begins).

I heard that this novel will be Godfather Part II, but Part II following the book (i.e. Michael has two sons not a son and a daughter, Connie remarries a good Italian guy, the only dons killed were Barzini and Tattaglia and not all the family heads, etc. etc.) instead of the way Part II unfolds in the movies.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Article on new Godfather Book #278322
07/26/04 03:05 PM
07/26/04 03:05 PM
Desolation Row
Underboss
Underboss
Desolation Row
Quote:
Originally posted by waynethegame:
But.. the novel explains that timeframe. the third section of the novel ends with something about everything being peaceful until the attempted hit on Vito (i.e. after GFI begins).
It only briefly touched on that part. It said something to the effect of "....and that how it remained[peaceful]until the Don was shot." Really sealed up all questions you may have had. Real detailed description right there. :rolleyes: I think the book is going to go into that part w/ some detail.
Why would they write a book about GF2 that doesnt even remotely come close to the movie?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull