GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Irishman12, TheKillingJoke, 1 invisible), 208 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,758
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,311
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,428
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Print Thread
Come to think of it... #275309
04/01/06 03:37 AM
04/01/06 03:37 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
...I've been thinking. I *have* been getting kinda busy lately with work and all, and while I've enjoyed fantasy the past few years, I'm not really sure I could devote as much time as I'd like in them this year. I know I've been kinda gung-ho in the past, but, this isn't a great time right now - I think I'm gonna have to quit for a while...

I know the fishing and horses and nascar and shit won't matter, but, the majors... hopefully my basketball scores will hold up for the next 3 weeks. And baseball, unfortunately, I just can't do it. It's just a good thing it hasn't even started yet! I really shouldn't even have done that draft, cuz I wanted to make it work, I just can't, though....

I'll hopefully be able to give away my drafted yahoo baseball team, first come, first served... I'm sure some would love to have some of my roster! So act quickly!!

Otherwise, I designate Plaw as Uber Commish. Kinda funny, since *I* was the one all into the Uber since like 1996 -- 10 years ago! Yet all of a sudden I gotta give up almost a full season of fantasy...

Anyway, carry on, peeps! I'll try to check in every now and again, when time permits...!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Come to think of it... #275310
04/01/06 03:46 AM
04/01/06 03:46 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
This game really doesn't require much time now. The draft was the hardest part. You can pretty much set your roster and forget it if you want to. Just check every now and then in case someone is hurt, etc.

Re: Come to think of it... #275311
04/01/06 04:30 AM
04/01/06 04:30 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
How sad... this coming from the guy who'd say "I'm in" to any game, even if it was like "Fantasy Dog Show" or something equally lame.

"Damn that mutt Fluffy! What a wuss. I shoulda gone with Muffin." :p

Re: Come to think of it... #275312
04/01/06 04:40 AM
04/01/06 04:40 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
"Fantasy Dog Show" sounds AWESOME!! Wish I could...!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Come to think of it... #275313
04/01/06 04:54 AM
04/01/06 04:54 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
LMAO! You would too, wouldn't you? Well lucky for you, as far as I know it doesn't exist. So even if you have to take a break from the other ones, at least you're not missing out on that, too.

This isn't for good though, right? Just like one season or something? I hope your schedules clear up soon. If you want, I'll pull an Analyze This and "clear your schedule" for you.

Hey, at least now I'll be closer to regaining my rightful place in Fast Break. If it weren't for that missed day... tsk tsk.

Re: Come to think of it... #275314
04/01/06 04:59 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Happy Birthday Don Sicilia  Offline

JG is quitting fantasy sports, the board will be shut down and Wrigley Field is going to be renamed "Walter E. Smithe Field" all in the same day??!!

What is the probability of that? Maybe 1 in 365. 1 in 366 if it's a leap year.

Re: Come to think of it... #275315
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Apparently my (now, lack of) presence in fantasy sports is pretty laughable it seems....

Hey, I'll try my best, of course, but just don't be surprised if I have to go weeks without being able to make changes, starting Monday...

Re: Come to think of it... #275316
04/01/06 09:06 AM
04/01/06 09:06 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I was certainly happy to read your last post, JG, since you saved me the considerable trouble of writing a short essay entitled "Not Enough Time For Fantasy Sports: Myth or Reality?"

But...a few needless comments anyway:

As far as the ESPN "Salary Cap" game goes, there's no way your score or first place standing will hold up unless you change your team every day.

Fortunately, however, there are only 19 days to go and unless it's one of those two or three remaining days when almost every team is in action, we're still pretty much at the point cap-wise where you can pick just about anyone you want to, so it really shouldn't take you more than about two minutes every day to stay abreast of that game.

With respect to Yahoo Basketball, only you can decide how important it is to try and stay out of the cellar.

I will say, however, that with 19 days to go it shouldn't take you more than about fifteen minutes total to set your lineups for every day for the rest of the season, in which case you will only have to worry about a case where someone misses a game unexpectedly.

Even so, I'm fairly certain (although I haven't done the math and this is based only on a quick look) that it's mathematically impossible for DM to reach his 984 game maximum, and your current points lead over him may very well hold up as long as you don't miss too many games yourself.

So, as I say, only you can decide on the importance of not finishing last, but I would think that you should be able to find the fifteen minutes necessary to insure that you won't.

That brings us to the upcoming ESPN Salary Cap Baseball game.

Despite what you perceive as a lack of enthusiasm on my part, I really am looking forward to the game.

I was hoping it would be our first real "All-Star" field - the first game ever with you and I, along with DB and JL and, presumably (or hopefully) DM once tomorrow night rolled around and he realized that if he didn't get into this one he's be reduced to a summer of Diamond Daily.

Not to mention, of course, that with the up-and-coming and dedicated Gina, the comebacking Beth, the ever-present TM, the bleeding-Dodger-blue LZ, and perhaps most interestingly of all, Don Cardi, this was shaping up as possibly one of our best fantasy games ever.

Of course, as you well know, of all the games we play, this is the one that probably requires the greatest amount of daily attention if you’re gonna “play it right”, what with looking at individual hitter vs. pitcher matchups and everything, and I could certainly understand if you didn’t have the 10-15 minutes a day time-wise, nor in the inclination stomach-wise, to play, although it is my fervent hope that you will.

So that leaves us with Yahoo Baseball.

The way that game is set up, you can really devote as much or as little time to it as you wish.

Unfortunately, however, Yahoo does not allow for the transferring or changing ownerships of a team, so it looks like we’re stuck with you.

Fortunately, though, this is not a head to head game, and indifference by one of the participants does not affect anyone else, so feel free to get involved as much or as little as you wish.

The only other option that occurs to me is if you are certain that you don’t want to play, or play at the level necessary to make a respectable showing, you might want to consider turning your team over to DM (assuming that he’d even be interested in taking it over) or possibly Don Cardi (who expressed a late interest in possibly wanting to join the game) which would involve your sharing your password and Yahoo ID with him.

In any case, and all of that drivel said aside, I have a feeling that once the umpire yells “Play Ball” for the first time, and you see that April sunshine and smell that grass and feel that warmth in the air that means it’s time for a young man’s fancy to turn to love and baseball, you’ll be right there in the thick of things.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Come to think of it... #275317
04/01/06 09:20 AM
04/01/06 09:20 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Wow, you people start April's Fools jokes around here early. But since the board will cease to exist after April 10th does it really matter? :p

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Come to think of it... #275318
04/01/06 09:50 AM
04/01/06 09:50 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
This better not be no April Fool's joke after I went and wrote 700+ words of drivel in which I basically begged JG to stay and play.

Re: Come to think of it... #275319
04/01/06 09:53 AM
04/01/06 09:53 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
This better not be no April Fool's joke after I went and wrote 700+ words of drivel in which I basically begged JG to stay and play.
You're right, it's not a joke. So I suppose after April 10th we all need to congregate at another place too. :p

Better not be no???? I expected more from you Neal.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: Come to think of it... #275320
04/01/06 09:59 AM
04/01/06 09:59 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
The "better not be no" was intentional, believe me.

Re: Come to think of it... #275321
04/01/06 10:03 AM
04/01/06 10:03 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
The "better not be no" was intentional, believe me.
Beings that you say it, I believe you. :p

Re: Come to think of it... #275322
04/01/06 11:37 AM
04/01/06 11:37 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
quote:

it was funny to read all your argumments and then see that you resumed everything in "begging JG to stay"

I personally don't believe JG will wuss out. he's just waiting until he figures out a way of robbing me Varitek in a one sided deal :p

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Come to think of it... #275323
04/01/06 01:04 PM
04/01/06 01:04 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I can grab Veritek in one press of the mouse button, I just haven't decided whether or not to take him from you. :p

Oh, Plaw...

Re: Come to think of it... #275324
04/01/06 08:43 PM
04/01/06 08:43 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
As "Plaw's Junior Windbag," I just have to say, that was a low-down and dirty trick, JG. The General thread was bad enough, but now you've made enemies in Sports, and that's the greatest mistake anyone can ever make. :p

Edited to say: Plaw, that last section you wrote was beautiful. Seriously, that's the spirit of baseball talking.