GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mike68), 361 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,438
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide Release Planned November 2006 #224785
03/15/06 11:12 AM
03/15/06 11:12 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

PS3 Delay Official (Source: Gamespot.com)

Quote:
It's Official: PS3 launching worldwide November 2006
[UPDATE] Sony confirms delay for next-gen console, says it will support an Xbox Live-like online gaming service; console will require a 60GB Linux HDD--but will it be sold separately?

TOKYO--Today at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutagari made it official--the PlayStation 3 has been delayed. The news confirmed widely circulated Japanese newspaper reports, which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Kutaragi told the crowd at the event that the PS3 would now launch in November 2006 worldwide. That dispelled fears that the console would make it to Japan in time by the fall, but would miss the all-important holiday shopping season in the US and Europe. In fact, Kutaragi explicitly told the crowd of game retailers and journalists present that the PS3 would arrive before Thanksgiving in all territories.

Besides the delay, Kutaragi also made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the service to be "free."

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

Kutaragi also said that PS3 games would be released only on Blu-ray discs, as DVDs have become too easy for software pirates to duplicate. The high-capacity format is capable of storing around 50GB on a single disc. Sony reps confirmed the PS3 will still play DVDs and CDs, as well as PS2 and PSone discs, as previously announced.
By Tor Thorsen, Brendan Sinclair, Henry Niizumi -- GameSpot
Posted Mar 14, 2006 11:07 pm PT
I'm not surprised, but at least we'll see it for the holiday season which, if the price is around $299-$399, I'll still be purchasing one. I still believe they will need to have a price of $299 USD, since anything higher is too much for casual gamers (i.e. only play Madden).

Thoughts?

Re: PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide Release Planned November 2006 #224786
03/15/06 11:16 AM
03/15/06 11:16 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Also of particular interest - Kutaragi says that the 60 GB HD must be present to play PS3 games (though that doesn't mean it would be needed to emulate PS1/2).

Many are speculating that Sony could pull a fast one and make people buy the HD peripheral in order to provide the needed functionality for the console - similar to X-Box forcing users to buy the DVD kit...but does anyone really think Sony would be that stupid to not include the HD in the package?

Re: PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide Release Planned November 2006 #224787
03/15/06 11:58 AM
03/15/06 11:58 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I read about this earlier this morning. Not surprising, but at least it'll be a worldwide release this fall, rather than a fall release for Japan, Spring '07 release for the USA. If that were the case, Sony would have virtually no chance of winning the next-gen console war.

As for the 60GB HD add-on: If it's something that is necessary to actually use the PS3 to play PS3 games, they would absolutely have to package it in with the PS3. It would be career suicide on Sony's part not to do so. It'd be one thing if the HD was only needed to play certain games (like PS2's was necessary for FFXI), but to not package something that is actually needed to make the system function as an actual gaming system would be stupid.

Now what I do think will happen is they'll pull something similar to what Microsoft did with the 360. They'll release two packages: the core system, with very little else, and a bundle package, with the system, maybe 2 wireless controllers, a year's subscription to their "new-and-improved" web-service, that sorta thing.

I also read in PSM that they will only be releasing the PS3 in one color scheme at first, the silver one. A lot of consumers are angered at this, but its a smart move on Sony's part. If they were to release 3 different colors of the PS3, they may be stuck with a million+ unsold systems, just because people don't like the color. And the PS3 won't have removable face-plates either.

I'll most likely be getting one this fall at release, but I may wait a little. Sony is notorious for having faulty hardware at launch.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide Release Planned November 2006 #224788
03/15/06 05:39 PM
03/15/06 05:39 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I've heard that PS3 will be priced at $399-$499.

Guarenteed they won't charge just $299, if the 360's Premium bundle cost $399.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide Release Planned November 2006 #224789
03/15/06 07:36 PM
03/15/06 07:36 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Don't believe everything you hear - PS3 is already putting itself behind the 8-Ball by pushing their launch further back, and they need to be competitive to take back some of the market they have been losing to the X-Box 360.

I would honestly be surprised if it was anything more than $399. But I suspect that it will be between $299 and $399. Most casual gamers won't spend more than that on a console, and Sony is going to want to take complete advantage of the holiday season.

Remember - consoles always represent a loss for a company, at least in the early stages of life. Of course the PS3 is going to cost between $400-$900 per unit to make, but they will eat that because they buy the parts wholesale and they are going to sell a shitload of the damn things.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull