Sonny Forelli: "So Tommy, what was the big plan? You think I was gonna take the fake cash, save face, and walk away with my tail between my legs?"
Tommy Vercetti: "No. I just wanted to piss you off before I killed you."

For the Last few years, many high profile video games have had celebrities and actors appear in "Voice-Over" work a substantial fee.

One intriging aspect is actors replaying certain famed roles of theirs once again in the digital world. For example, there is Marlon Brando(before he croaked), James Caan, and Robert Duvall reprising their characters in the upcoming THE GODFATHER videogame. Then recent-Oscar winning Clint Eastwood is taking up the Colt Magnum again in a DIRTY HARRY game. Then there's rumors of Al Pacino reprising the title role of the favorite film of his in SCARFACE(which would be odd since he apparently turned down reprising the character of Michael Corrleone in THE GODFATHER game) and Richard Roundtree returning as SHAFT(but who cares?).

Of course, when this subject comes up, the GRAND THEFT AUTO video game series comes to mind in how besides good voice-acting(a talent that is hard to control and harness), the castings are dead-on perfect for the video games' scripts, but also in terms of homages(like Joe Pantilano, Michael Madsen, and Frank Vincent in the broad mob-movie salute in GTA3, or then several actors in VICE CITY featured one way or another in the 1980's or 90's crime flicks, like Luiz Guzman, who was in Brian DePalma's pretty damn good CARLITO'S WAY, and now Chris Penn(TRUE ROMANCE, RESERVIOR DOGS) in SAN ANDREAS).

However, of all the rash of celebrity-brand-name driven castings, the best one I've ever witnessed comes in VICE CITY where Ray Lliota, after whacking some competition in the legendary GOODFELLAS and one lame movie star career, kicks ass as Tommy Vercetti, who channels of sorts the absolute respect that the writers showed for over-the-top masculine-driven action with memorable lines in many movies like Brian DePalma's SCARFACE(which by the time of VICE CITY, they used up their bank account in terms of "respect" and actually ran into deep debt!)

Anyway, I want everyone to post their thoughts on the matter, and if possible, what is the best voice-over acting in a video game you've witnessed?

P.S. - This just in, Sean Connery is back as JAMES BOND......for a video game that is. CHUD reports (http://chud.com/news/1986) that Connery will reprise his iconic role once again in a video game "adaptation" of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE for EA(or Electronic Arts to you non-video game fans out there).

Could be good, but then again, Bond's track record with video games has been along the lines of quality like say THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, THUNDERBALL, A VIEW TO A KILL, etc. In other words, they were playable, but flunkin mediocre enough to make you wanna check your watch time to time.

Then again, the GOLDENEYE videogame for the old N64 system kicked serious ass, possibly the best title that format ever had. I also enjoyed, if slightly forgotten already, that one recent Bond game where Brosnan reprised as 007 and Willhem Dafoe played the villain...I just forgot the title. See?