GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209722
04/14/06 02:24 PM
04/14/06 02:24 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
If the film did become a reality, where would you like to see The Godfather, Part IV go?

I know I have often repeated myself about this plot, but I personally would like to see a Part IV involve Michael's exile to Sicily, Vincent's dealings with a corrupt baseball owner (the Cornelones own a portion of the team), as well as his struggle to keep the family legitimate, as well as Anthony's descent into the family business.

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209723
04/14/06 03:00 PM
04/14/06 03:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
...I personally would like to see a Part IV involve Michael's exile to Sicily...
It can probably be assumed that Michael Corleone is a broken man once his daughter is murdered. Therefore there would be little if anything of interest to be illustrated in his 'exile to Sicily'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209724
04/14/06 05:09 PM
04/14/06 05:09 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[quote]Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
[b] ...I personally would like to see a Part IV involve Michael's exile to Sicily...
It can probably be assumed that Michael Corleone is a broken man once his daughter is murdered. Therefore there would be little if anything of interest to be illustrated in his 'exile to Sicily'.

Apple [/b][/quote]Agreed, which is why Michael would play a secondary part in this film. I agree that that in itself is blasphemy, but I still think his role would be important. When Michael finds out that Anthony has become part of the family business, he is kind of forced to give advice to protect him.

After all, Michael will do anything to "protect his family" even if it means becoming the Corleone family's consigliere in one way or another.

And there are obviously still a lot of other details to work out.

But I knew I could count on a cynical & skeptical opinion from you, Apple!

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209725
04/14/06 05:26 PM
04/14/06 05:26 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Michael is the last link to the 'old' Corleone family. What value would there be in a story in which he plays a 'secondary' role?

It's like the Kennedy's. Once you go beyond the first & second generations, the interesting members who actually made the name famouse (Joe, Rose, Jack, Bobby/Vito, Michael, Sonny, Tom etc...), once you start delving into the grandchildren, cousins, etc, and begin stetching the story into a million different directions, the dynamics that made it so compelling are forever changed. The overall story loses so much of the magnetism and intrigue.

It becomes CHEAP. It loses its CLASS!

It's over.

Skeptically yours,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209726
04/14/06 05:49 PM
04/14/06 05:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
[QUOTE]... Michael will do anything to "protect his family" even if it means becoming the Corleone family's consigliere in one way or another...
That is your assumption. More accurately, it is what you, as a fan, would possibly like to see.

This now a man who has suffered the ultimate loss of his child, his only daughter, in a horrible, violent way...because of the very 'Family' he's been protecting for all these years. It is quite debatable whether he'd want anything to do with it beyond the point of Mary's death.

But please do go on, all you GFIV dreamers. It's begun to be a source of great entertainment reading the truly amazing stuff some of you have managed to come up with.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209727
04/15/06 12:18 AM
04/15/06 12:18 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Apple's right.

Keep it in the golden years, don't defame it by branching out. Make a new classic instead of something entirely different.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209728
04/15/06 04:28 PM
04/15/06 04:28 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Quote:

But please do go on, all you GFIV dreamers. It's begun to be a source of great entertainment reading the truly amazing stuff some of you have managed to come up with.

Apple [/QB]
And you wonder why I joked about you being cynical and skeptic? It's not a joke any more.

Look, I know as well as anyone that a Part IV would be a stretch -- but that doesn't mean there aren't interesting stories to be told in that universe. I've mainly only thought over these plot points in my head and as you can see they haven't gone very far.

Forgive me for loving The Godfather too much, I guess...

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209729
04/15/06 05:48 PM
04/15/06 05:48 PM
Hampton, Virginia
Antoni Canoli Offline
Made Member
Antoni Canoli  Offline
Made Member
Hampton, Virginia
I would just like to weigh in for a Part 4 (not that they will ever make one now) that covered Vito's rise (much as Mr. Puzo wanted to do before he died---as referenced on the Godfather DVD collection extras).

Finance is a gun, Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209730
04/15/06 05:59 PM
04/15/06 05:59 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
[QUOTE]...you wonder why I joked about you being cynical and skeptic? It's not a joke any more.
I wasn't wondering. And I really didn't care whether it was a joke or not. And I AM cynical and skeptical about a GFIV in any form, because I don't think it would work no matter what the scenario.

Quote:
[QUOTE]...that doesn't mean there aren't interesting stories to be told in that universe. I've mainly only thought over these plot points in my head...
And I've countered at least one of your 'plots' explaining why in my opinion it wouldn't work.

Quote:
[QUOTE]...Forgive me for loving The Godfather too much, I guess...
You are forgiven. Forgive me for respecting it enough to realize that stretching the story any further than it has gone would only ruin it.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209731
04/16/06 04:53 AM
04/16/06 04:53 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
It's like the Kennedy's. Once you go beyond the first & second generations, the interesting members who actually made the name famouse (Joe, Rose, Jack, Bobby/Vito, Michael, Sonny, Tom etc...), once you start delving into the grandchildren, cousins, etc, and begin stetching the story into a million different directions, the dynamics that made it so compelling are forever changed. The overall story loses so much of the magnetism and intrigue.
One part in all of these fanscripts that keeps returning, is a series of flashbacks (à la GF II) with the rise of Vito and the old guys, you know, the '27 - '45 years.
Do you oppose that as well? Since that isn't in conflict with your commplains about stretching the story too far.
The characters are there (from Part I and Part II) and the storylines are there too (the Book, now known to you).

I have a slight clue :rolleyes: you will be against any GF IV, but I just wanted to point out that your argument isn't always true.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209732
04/16/06 07:59 AM
04/16/06 07:59 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Enzo,

Puzo and FFC managed to make the 'flashback' and 'future' combination somehow work in GFII. Frankly, the way in which Vito & Michael's stories were woven together was a miracle of artistry.

How many times do you think that could be repeated successfully?

You can't just keep going back & forth to certain years that haven't been covered. It would become little more than a comic book series.

The story has been told. It's over.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209733
04/17/06 10:28 AM
04/17/06 10:28 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Apple, did you read The Godfather Returns and will you read The Godfather's Revenge?

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209734
04/17/06 10:45 AM
04/17/06 10:45 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
1. Yes (partially, and only because someone gave me the book)

2. No.

3 (even though you didn't ask).

Novels and films are different. Sequel books can be written ad-infinitum and it doesn't mean they're going to be good, or worthy of being made into a film or tv miniseries. Nobody's going to make a movie out of a bad novel unless they don't mind losing money. Any producers out there scrambling for the rights to 'GF Returns'?

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209735
04/17/06 02:23 PM
04/17/06 02:23 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
So if a Part IV was made, would you go see it?

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209736
04/17/06 02:40 PM
04/17/06 02:40 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Probably not.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209737
04/17/06 03:45 PM
04/17/06 03:45 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm betting you would.

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209738
04/17/06 04:00 PM
04/17/06 04:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Fine, if it's that important to you .

Place your bet.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209739
04/18/06 09:16 AM
04/18/06 09:16 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I bet you an and two cannoli's.

Just messing with you Apple.

And you're probably right about everyone's grand illusions about a Part IV. It will never happen. We should just move on...

But. It's still fun to fantasize.

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209740
04/18/06 03:22 PM
04/18/06 03:22 PM
Illinois
P
PaulyWalnuts Offline
Associate
PaulyWalnuts  Offline
P
Associate
Illinois
Well id say Apple is set in his belief and wont be persuaded. Im new to this board but i know alot obout these movies and the book and I think it would be easily possible to make a good sequel better than 3 id wager.
There are plenty of plots and stories that didnt make the screen, Id like to see a young Luca Brasi just under the employ of the don, the stories that shape Clemenza,Tessio and Al Neri. Also the future after 3 needs to be explored somewhat. Michael need not be a main character and the future of the family in a modern world would be intriging. You all act as if Puzo thought this all up from scratch and he did not. The stories of the real mafia are the basis for most events in the book and films and Im sure there are plenty more that could be reworked. There is twenty years of the mafia that could be explored in a part 4. Some of the families are named after new men and why this is, the rise and fall of John Gotti and the preceding war, the banker and industrialist don such as castellano being murdered for his progressive thinking, the turning of a families underboss and exposure of the omerta ceremony and popularization of the mafia all could be dealt with within the context of the Corleone family and I think with the correct writers be very enjoyable and by the way I doubt there will be a movie of the new books also but apple is dead wrong here, I doubt if the author has the rights to the film or if film rights would even be offered to the publishor. This is common when writing in a franchise, Such as Star Wars the Timothy Zahn novels had enourmous film interest but Lucas made sure in negoitiating that no film rights were even discussed and they will never be available except to Lucas himself and im sure Puzo's estate as the same assurances
Just to show you what you believe is not law apple

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209741
04/18/06 04:53 PM
04/18/06 04:53 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Excellent point about these movies always mirroring things that have happened in real life, especially when it comes to the mafia. That is why I want to place my Part IV idea in the world of modern baseball -- or professional sports -- which is run more like the mafia in many ways than a legitimate business.

However, I think it would be very easy to have the modern world of the mafia become cliche in a Godfather movie. The rats, the double crosses, the need for material things, etc... We've seen all of this done in GoodFellas, Donnie Brasco and The Sopranos.

The Godfather was always one step ahead of everyone else -- and if that was the path they took, it wouldn't be the case any longer. You saw the toll that modernization took with Part III -- it de-glamourized the movie. I have a feeling much of the same would happen with a Part IV.

Handled well, I think it could be about as good as one of those films mentioned above, but when it carries the title of The Godfather, it's supposed to be the very best.

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209742
04/19/06 03:25 PM
04/19/06 03:25 PM
Illinois
P
PaulyWalnuts Offline
Associate
PaulyWalnuts  Offline
P
Associate
Illinois
you make very good points also death but i have a few counter points here. True the modernization hurt three but I think alot of true fans were turned off by one actors not reprising there roles, two the story I mean the catholic church was the wrong way to take the corporate half of the film and three just plain elitism being fans of the first two they wont lower themselves to watch a sequel made in the modern times. Other than that I think that The Godfather has always tried to portray the reality of the Mafia whether it be glamorous or horrible. If the modern reality of the mob isnt the high drama of the first two so be it I think it could still be told as an engaging story no matter who they make the focal point and no flashbacks im withy ou there

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... #209743
04/19/06 04:47 PM
04/19/06 04:47 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Maybe before The Sopranos a modern-era Godfather film could have worked. But after that show has ingrained itself into society, I think a Godfather film about those same themes (rats, depression, double crosses, technology, culteral clashes) would feel like a rip-off. And when taking into consideration all the GF references in The Sopranos, it would be ironic.

Kind of like how James Bond movies just never seemed as cool as they were after Austin Powers came out.

Re: Your version of The Godfather, Part IV... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #388082
04/23/07 09:01 PM
04/23/07 09:01 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
Maybe before The Sopranos a modern-era Godfather film could have worked. But after that show has ingrained itself into society, I think a Godfather film about those same themes (rats, depression, double crosses, technology, culteral clashes) would feel like a rip-off. And when taking into consideration all the GF references in The Sopranos, it would be ironic.

Kind of like how James Bond movies just never seemed as cool as they were after Austin Powers came out.

All the more reason to make GF4. People will be yearning for a NEW mafia story after Soprano's end.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull