GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 159 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,239
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Print Thread
The old ways. #197782
07/14/03 05:08 PM
07/14/03 05:08 PM
Surrey. England. In a house.
Researcher Offline OP
Capo
Researcher  Offline OP
Capo
Surrey. England. In a house.
1) What features of the "old ways" exist now in the Mafia? The Mafia seemed to have changed so much, it's now all about drugs, cash, and whacking, as a pose to it once being about honour and omerta and all that.
What titles still exist? I'm guessing 'soldier' and 'caporegime' still exist, but what about the others? Are there consiglieres? Are people still referred to as 'Dons' or are they simply bosses?
The old ways seemed to have shattered like frail mirrors, there seems to be no respect; I'm sure any gangster would piss himself laughing if you asked him about "Omerta". I mean, I'm not sticking up for gangsters here, but they were a whole lot better in the old days! They seem so degenerate now.

2) Henry Hill: What's with him now? Is he rich, poor? Is there any information on his life in the WPP? What about the mafia, are they still after him, or have the old vendettas been forgotten by honourless gangsters out to rip off the world? How in danger would you say his; what are his odds of getting killed were he to leave the WPP?

3)Many rich gangsters have huge estates, and are filthy rich. How do they avoid questioning on how they earned their living? What excuses do they come up with? Surely the FBI must query into how they've earned so much.

Thanks to anyone who answers the questions, over the months you people have almost fulfilled all my queries!

Re: The old ways. #197783
07/14/03 08:58 PM
07/14/03 08:58 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
1) I don't think there's a way of knowing if the induction or " making of " still abides today unchanged in the world of LCN, the tittles are still the same at least to law enforcement. One shrewd Don: Vincent " The Chin " Gigante who was boss of the Genovese family would never be referred to by his name but by: " that guy " or by a rubbing or scrapping of a family member's chin to avoid wiretap evidence.

2) Henry Hill is still trying to make money from his gangster era. I think the modern Mafia families today have too much to worry about, with their own inner problems, and modern technology to go after Henry Hill who's after the witness protection program; specially when it would not be hard to know who killed him, LCN does not need any more hard-on's from the American government. He wrote a cook book not too long ago. A man like him could never be rich off of anything else other then exploiting his past.

3)Rich modern gangsters oft-own legitimate fronts, in many fields. Many of their possessions are not under their name but under family members', as long as they pay their taxes they should be fine. Surely the F.B.I already do know how they earned their money, the problem is linking them to money coming off of their criminal enterprizes.

Re: The old ways. #197784
07/14/03 09:59 PM
07/14/03 09:59 PM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
Henry Hill is no longer in the WPP. It only lasted for a limited amount of time. Now, he has a different identity for legal bills and liscenses and what not, and is hiding somewhere in his house where nobody knows where he is at.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: The old ways. #197785
07/15/03 12:59 AM
07/15/03 12:59 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
1. Most of us (including me) tend to romanticize the "old" Mafia. But there's never been honor among thieves, never will be. Plenty of wiseguys broke omerta long ago, to buy favor with cops and to derail other Mob guys who were in their way. Charlie Luciano supposedly ratted out a partner in a drug deal when he was young, to avoid jail. Joe Valachi wasn't the first guy to break omerta--he was the first to do it on TV. The difference now is that with better surveillance, plus stiffer penalties for drugs and RICO offenses, there's more incentive for Mob guys to rat out others. But it's hardly new. As for titles: who knows? Mobs today operate with fewer "made" guys, because being "made" is an invitation to get new, close "friends" in law enforcement.
2. Henry Hill isn't in the Witness Protection Program anymore. He's all over like dog s**t. He's been on radio and TV; any minute I expect to hear that he's going to replace Jay Leno or host Saturday Night Live. He has his own website, http://www.goodfellahenry.com/home.html,
where one can show adoration for him by buying his merchandise. He visited the UK recently; I expect he stood for Parliament from Winston Churchill's old district. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's listed on NASDAQ. Once a con man, always a con man.
3. Very few gangsters have big estates in their own names. Some of them have learned that having such gaudy property makes them sitting ducks for income tax evasion charges. This is a slam-dunk conviction in the US--the government doesn't have to prove that you committed any crimes to make your money, all they have to show is that you're living beyond your means. The famous Aniello (Mr. Neil) Dellacroce, underboss to Carlo Gambino and Paul Castellano, and John Gotti's patron, went to the can for five years because he lost $30k gambling in Puerto Rico after declaring only $10k in income. So the mobsters put their property into others' names and hope for the best.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The old ways. #197786
07/15/03 04:50 AM
07/15/03 04:50 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
So the mobsters put their property into others' names and hope for the best.
Hope for the best? Didn't know they did that, but thinking about it, it is the only way in which they could continue to work. How do they go about not getting caught with this scam? Whose name do they own property in? I do realise though that a lot of gangsters have went down due their utter stupidity with regard to income tax evasion.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The old ways. #197787
07/15/03 01:21 PM
07/15/03 01:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[quote]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] So the mobsters put their property into others' names and hope for the best.
Hope for the best? Didn't know they did that, but thinking about it, it is the only way in which they could continue to work. How do they go about not getting caught with this scam? Whose name do they own property in? I do realise though that a lot of gangsters have went down due their utter stupidity with regard to income tax evasion.

Mick [/b][/quote]Mick, there are plenty of tax dodges in this country that rich, supposedly legitimate people use--and that Mob guys follow. Sometimes a corporation or a foundation owns real estate, and the CEO lives there, rent-free. Or, they take advantage of various state laws that make one's primary residence untouchable by any legal process, or that permit spouses to own your property without you being accountable for it.

"...their utter stupidity with regard to income tax evasion." Oho, you said it! Possibly the understatement of the year! Income tax evasion has put away more gangsters for more years than drugs and RICO combined. The irony is that it's easy--very easy--for them to avoid falling into that trap, but they're too stupid and greedy to do the smart thing.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull