GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,889
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,649
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Answer to Turi vs. Turrido #169065
04/29/03 04:25 PM
04/29/03 04:25 PM
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
RosarioAlaia Offline OP
Wiseguy
RosarioAlaia  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
If indeed you read Turrido someplace it was a spelling error. In Sicilia the name Salvatore, has several nicknames, Toto',Turi, and Turiddu. Sal is an american nickname. Salvatore Giuliano was/is a real person whose nickname is Turi. Puzo did not choose anything, he went with the facts, just like his book "The Sicilian" it is based on fact. Aspanu is the sicilian nickname for Gaspare. Zaza is the nickname for Rosario,etc.. If that indeed WAS Carol Gino in that thread, how could she NOT know that?

Also, Puzo purposely spells Giuliano's name "Guiliano", I presume to get around some legal footwork with his family. The Giuliano family did not approve the book and was angered at the heroic portrayal of the backstabbing Aspanu Pisciotta.

Like the heart of a lion (Corleone) the warrior dies alone.
Re: Answer to Turi vs. Turrido #169066
04/29/03 06:12 PM
04/29/03 06:12 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Interesting and yes it WAS Carol Gino.

Puzo purposfully spelt it Guiliano so the novel he wrote didn't have to be a biography of the bandits life. Instead he could add his own writers license to it and create a fantastic novel.

Puzo used Turi instead of Turridu basically because of how he felt it looked on paper. It was his book, he wanted to use something comfortable for the reader to read. "Turi" works fine.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Answer to Turi vs. Turrido #169067
04/29/03 09:16 PM
04/29/03 09:16 PM
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
RosarioAlaia Offline OP
Wiseguy
RosarioAlaia  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
Turi-

Turi is the name that the actual Giuliano went by (as you probably know), that is what he was known as. It was not made up by Puzo or what he "chose" to call him.

Puzo's book is not so fictional where you can not decipher who the story is about. He did not employ allusions as he did in the GF novel where we could guess but not substantiate his allusions.

As for the spelling of the surname, Puzo spells his last name "Guiliano" thus giving a pronunciation of "Gwiliano" as opposed to the proper "Jooliano". I doubt its' purpose was for fictional purposes, he didn't fool anybody.I'd be inclined to agree with Ms. Gino if he would have changed the name to say Calo Sciacca, that would be fictitious.

Anyway, it is obvious that you and I both feel profoundly about Turi. Pick up the book written by his sister Marianna Giuliano, "My Brother Salvatore Giuliano- The True Story". It is filled with photos,poems, and letters, as well as containing a close account of his life. I loved Puzo's book, but I am skeptical about Ms. Gino's explanation that one letter would change anything. That's a conversation that obviously I can't win!

Like the heart of a lion (Corleone) the warrior dies alone.
Re: Answer to Turi vs. Turrido #169068
04/30/03 07:29 PM
04/30/03 07:29 PM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

You know, i've always tried getting hold of that book you've mentioned, a few years ago I saw the short online version of it. But with me being in England it's pretty damn hard to get hold of, i'll try more though.

I partly agree with you on the whole Giuliano spelling debate. But from what I understand from Carol Gino was that Puzo changed spellings to suit how he felt something looked better on paper, to the reader. You're correct with the pronunciation with Giuliano too. But I agree with what Ms Gino has told us. The Sicilian is a fictional novel based on fact. This way he didn't have to write it as a biography to Giuliano's life. Especially with bringing the fictional character of Michael Corleone into it. Something we may have to agree to disagree with.

Whilst we're on the subject of the true Giuliano i've read a very fair and balanced perspective of his life in Billy J Chandlers "King of the Mountain. Very detailed and goes into the whole politics situations deeply. I can't recommend it enough to you, especially to another Giuliano fan.

So die all who betray Giuliano

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull