GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, Big_Tuna93, ChiTown), 126 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,643
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Attention Carol: "Turi" Vs. "Turrido" #168855
09/18/01 09:50 PM
09/18/01 09:50 PM
S
Sonny Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny  Offline OP
S
Underboss
Question 4
Several sources that I have come across have mentioned Salvatore Guiliano as being nick-named "Turrido". Do you have any idea as to why Mr. Puzo nick-named Salvatore Guiliano "Turi" in The Sicilian? I think that "Turi" sounds more child-fitting than "Turrido", to my non-Italian ears. Was that Mr. Puzo's objective; to emphasize Salvatore's innocence and child-like nature? In other sources, most people named "Salvatore" would be nick-named "Sal" or "Sally" (as Tessio in GF or Sal in Dog Day Afternoon). Was using a similar "Sal" variation in The Sicilian an option for Mr. Puzo as far as you know?

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Attention Carol: "Turi" Vs. "Turrido" #168856
09/18/01 10:43 PM
09/18/01 10:43 PM
Long Island, NY
C
Carol Gino Offline
Wiseguy
Carol Gino  Offline
C
Wiseguy
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny:
Question 4
Several sources that I have come across have mentioned Salvatore Guiliano as being nick-named "Turrido". Do you have any idea as to why Mr. Puzo nick-named Salvatore Guiliano "Turi" in The Sicilian? I think that "Turi" sounds more child-fitting than "Turrido", to my non-Italian ears. Was that Mr. Puzo's objective; to emphasize Salvatore's innocence and child-like nature? In other sources, most people named "Salvatore" would be nick-named "Sal" or "Sally" (as Tessio in GF or Sal in Dog Day Afternoon). Was using a similar "Sal" variation in The Sicilian an option for Mr. Puzo as far as you know?

Hi Sonny,
I like your analysis. Mario chose Turi because he often chose nicknames by how they looked on a page. Turi was chosen so that the readers could remember his name easily, but also because it implied a fondness from the villagers for the child who grew up among them.

Re: Attention Carol: "Turi" Vs. "Turrido" #168857
09/19/01 11:23 PM
09/19/01 11:23 PM
Ohio
Don Lagrassa Offline
Made Member
Don Lagrassa  Offline
Made Member
Ohio
In my readings on Giuliano, I also find Salvatore called Turiddu. (For more info on this visit http://www.sicilian.net and click on Salvatore Giuliano) I'm hazarding a guess here, but I've often found that the difference between the Italian I learned in college and the Sicilian dialect is that the o's are replaced by u's. I'd love to go to Sicily and learn firsthand if i'm right or wrong.
By the way...for the Turi Giuliano that posts on this message board...thanks for that beautiful picture of Sicily's coastline.
Where is that exactly?

Re: Attention Carol: "Turi" Vs. "Turrido" #168858
09/22/01 01:59 PM
09/22/01 01:59 PM
Long Island, NY
C
Carol Gino Offline
Wiseguy
Carol Gino  Offline
C
Wiseguy
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lagrassa:
In my readings on Giuliano, I also find Salvatore called Turiddu. (For more info on this visit http://www.sicilian.net and click on Salvatore Giuliano) I'm hazarding a guess here, but I've often found that the difference between the Italian I learned in college and the Sicilian dialect is that the o's are replaced by u's. I'd love to go to Sicily and learn firsthand if i'm right or wrong.
By the way...for the Turi Giuliano that posts on this message board...thanks for that beautiful picture of Sicily's coastline.
Where is that exactly?

One of those pictures is the coastline of Sicily and the other is Sicily as we got off the airplane. I guess about an hour away from Palermo.

Re: Attention Carol: "Turi" Vs. "Turrido" #168859
09/22/01 02:00 PM
09/22/01 02:00 PM
Long Island, NY
C
Carol Gino Offline
Wiseguy
Carol Gino  Offline
C
Wiseguy
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lagrassa:
Where is that exactly?

One of those pictures is the coastline of Sicily and the other is Sicily as we got off the airplane. I guess about an hour away from Palermo.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull