GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 290 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,178
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tricks used to make us love a character #167983
06/27/02 11:33 PM
06/27/02 11:33 PM
M
Machiavelli Offline OP
Made Member
Machiavelli  Offline OP
M
Made Member
In the book, The Godfather, Don Corleone bullies union members. He believes that monopoly is efficient. He wreacks havoc any business that's in competition with his and he ruthlessly deals with those who cross him as casually as a child would squash an ant. So let's face it, Don Corleone is a degenerate slime of the first class.

Since he seem to have no regard for the law or for values, why do we all love him so much?

I think that Puzo makes us love him and his family with several strokes of genius. From the first 3 pages of the novel, he introduces Bonasera to us and other people who are in serious trouble and need to go to the great Don for help. From then on we automaticly think of Don Corleone as a modern day Zorro or Robin Hood. And we are fascinated by the imply power of the Don when he camly tells his godson that he would get what he want.

Then later in the book Puzo shows us that Don Corleone has limits even in his illegal activities: He would not deal drugs under any circumstance. Then the only favor he asks Bonasera in return is, him, Bonasera, fixing his dead son so he would look good for his mother. These little details can only make us love a man even if he's a criminal.

What do you think? What were the tricks used by Puzo that made you love his characters or even dream about being a Don?

Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167984
07/02/02 11:15 PM
07/02/02 11:15 PM
M
Machiavelli Offline OP
Made Member
Machiavelli  Offline OP
M
Made Member
By the way, does any one have an idea on how Don Corleone managed to pass Jack Woltz private security in his estate to get to the house? And how did they put the horses head in the bed without waking up Woltz or the butler?

Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167985
07/03/02 09:58 AM
07/03/02 09:58 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
I think we are led to believe it was Luca Brasi's doing. Bribing whoever needed be. Without waking up Woltz would nearly be impossible. It's a great scene but very far fetched. Maybe he had his drink spiked to put him deep into sleep.

I'm quite surprised your initial question hasn't been answered. It's a good topic.

My vote is for Luca Brasi. Definatelly the most interesting character in the book. Now during the book we are forced to read about his evilness, the baby and the Capone's men incidents. But somehow because of his loyalty to Don Corleone we accept him because we like Vito Corleone for all the reasons Machiavelli wrote. It's just a pity the film made him out to be a bumbling idiot.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167986
07/03/02 10:46 AM
07/03/02 10:46 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
If you remember in the novel Woltz was a pedophile who liked YOUNG girls, I'm surprised the Don didn't have him killed! Nothing was too far-fetched for Luca Brasi, if you read the novel and know what he did to his own baby you wouldn't be surprised at anything he'd get done for his "Don".

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167987
07/04/02 01:43 AM
07/04/02 01:43 AM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
You're absolutely right, Scarlett.

And your observation is right on too, Machiavelli. I think the "Robin Hood" analogy is the clincher. Not just the don's benevolence, but also his unwavering loyalty attracted others and gained him respect. Charisma, determination, trustworthiness, and danger: what a mix! Puzo couldn't have painted a better don.

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167988
07/05/02 06:39 AM
07/05/02 06:39 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Machiavelli:
In the book, The Godfather, Don Corleone bullies union members. He believes that monopoly is efficient. So let's face it, Don Corleone is a degenerate slime of the first class.

Since he seem to have no regard for the law or for values, why do we all love him so much?

I think that Puzo makes us love him and his family with several strokes of genius. we think of Don Corleone as a modern day Zorro or Robin Hood. And we are fascinated by the imply power of the Don when he camly tells his godson that he would get what he want.

Then later in the book Puzo shows us that Don Corleone has limits even in his illegal activities: He would not deal drugs under any circumstance. Then the only favor he asks Bonasera in return is, him, Bonasera, fixing his dead son so he would look good for his mother. These little details can only make us love a man even if he's a criminal.

What do you think? What were the tricks used by Puzo that made you love his characters or even dream about being a Don?
Yes Puzo was very clever at making us take the characters to heart. Showing the family scenes around the table and the love they all have for each other. The film to me is more a study of family and the disintegreation of it than an out and out mobster film.
We think the characters are not all bad because of the morals they hold in other areas of life like for family or Vitos reluctance to enter the drug trade. Hell,I even ended up feeling sorry for Michael who was a right bad ass underneath the nice college boy exterior.
Puzo is a genius Tho I have seen it wrote some people thought by doing this he glamorized the mafia style and made it not so much a black life as a varying shade of grey
FH

Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167989
07/05/02 09:57 AM
07/05/02 09:57 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
"Your sins are many, it is good that you suffer". The Cardinal during Michael's confession to him in The Godfather III.

I think Michael was 2nd in line in the cold-hearted dept. after Luca Brasi. To kill his own BROTHER, the Congressional Medal of Ugly for that one!

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167990
07/05/02 10:56 AM
07/05/02 10:56 AM
M
Machiavelli Offline OP
Made Member
Machiavelli  Offline OP
M
Made Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett:
"Your sins are many, it is good that you suffer". The Cardinal during Michael's confession to him in The Godfather III.

I think Michael was 2nd in line in the cold-hearted dept. after Luca Brasi. To kill his own BROTHER, the Congressional Medal of Ugly for that one!
Absolutely right. That's a sheer disregard for humanity.

Re: Tricks used to make us love a character #167991
07/05/02 05:25 PM
07/05/02 05:25 PM
Paris, France
Almammater Offline
Underboss
Almammater  Offline
Underboss
Paris, France
Machiavelli wrote :
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Scarlett:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely right. That's a sheer disregard for humanity.
I couldn't agree more but that's how Mafia is in real life. And think abt royal families, they used to kill each other to get closer to the throne. Read Shakespeare plays, he's a master at telling such stories (based on true facts), and think abt the Borgias that got mentioned in GF III.

"There's such a meanness in this world..."

"Come heavy or not at all." Uncle Junior to Tony S.
"Nenti dire ca nenti si capi" come disse quello. (Say nthg when U know nthg.)
"Chi non ci vuole stare, se ne vada." (If U don't like it here, go somewhere else.)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull