GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,325
Posts1,058,642
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting Locations #1675
10/02/02 11:21 AM
10/02/02 11:21 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
This is about filming locations, not gunfire grin

Someone has asked me about the location of the church used for the baptism sequence, and noticed on the site that there are some locations challenged and unresolved. Can anyone please clarify, for sure, where the following locations took place?

1) Old St. Patrick's Cathedral on Mulberry Street was used for the christening scene. A real Bishop was used. Coppola's family is used as extras. [Challenged: Mt Loretto Church in Staten Island?]

2) The scene for the meeting of the Don's was filmed at the boardroom of the Penn Central Railroad on the 32nd floor above Grand Central Station [challenged]

3) The estate of movie czar Jack Woltz was really the Guggenheim Estate, Sands Point, Long Island [Challenged: Harold LLoyd Estate in Beverly Hills, CA]

4) The scene where Luca Brasi (played by ex-wrestler Lenny Montana) gets murdered was shot at the Hotel Edison, 47th Street in Manhattan -- in a hotel room [Challenged: Hotel St. George in Brooklyn]

5) The scene where Sonny was gunned down was filmed at tollbooths constructed on an abandoned airstrip out at Floyd Bennet Field in Mineola, Brooklyn. [Challenged: Mitchel Field in Mineola, Long Island - see explanation here ]

It's embarrassing that the site doesn't have the definitive info on this stuff eek Can those who know for sure help me out here? Grazie!! grin

JG

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Shooting Locations #1676
10/02/02 11:35 AM
10/02/02 11:35 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
1) Old St. Patrick's Cathedral on Mulberry Street was used for the christening scene. A real Bishop was used. Coppola's family is used as extras. [Challenged: Mt Loretto Church in Staten Island?]

Maybe the interior scenes, but I don't think the exterior scenes of the church could be on Mulberry Street. Look at the open space around the church. A friend of mine that lives on Longfellow Drive on Staten Island has always told me it was filmed at a church on Staten Island.

3) The estate of movie czar Jack Woltz was really the Guggenheim Estate, Sands Point, Long Island [Challenged: Harold LLoyd Estate in Beverly Hills, CA]

I thought the interior scenes were at the Guggenheim Estate. There are palm trees in the background of the exterior shots and I don't think that's possible in Sands Point.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Shooting Locations #1677
10/02/02 12:35 PM
10/02/02 12:35 PM
McCluskey 's Veal Offline
Capo
McCluskey 's Veal  Offline
Capo
According to IMDB, I looked up filming locations for the movie "The Bodyguard". The Greystone Estate in Beverly Hills is listed. Under "trivia", it says Rachel's mansion is the same one used for the horse's head scene in the Godfather. Mansion <~~is a website of famous filming locations. The pictures of the mansion look familiar. There's one picture if you click on it, it gives a view of Los Angeles from the house - the landscape is very similar when you see Woltz and Tom walking around the grounds.

Re: Shooting Locations #1678
10/02/02 03:32 PM
10/02/02 03:32 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Where ever the scenes were shot, I believe the realism of using "on location" places, really added to the greatness of all three of the movies. My personal favorite is the Luca Brasi scene in the Edison hotel. It was so realistic, right down to the squeaking of his shoes. A close second was the hospital scene where Michael moved his father. It really captured the dismal atmosphere of hospitals of years ago.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Shooting Locations #1679
10/02/02 03:53 PM
10/02/02 03:53 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The baptism scene (the interior shots) was definitely filmed in Old St. Patrick's Cathedral on Mulberry Street. See the picture of that church (below). Interestingly enough that picture was taken during John Kennedy, Jr.'s funeral service. He lived a few blocks away.

The interior of Old St. Patrick's Cathedral
[Linked Image]

I can't swear that the exterior shots of that scene were filmed there, too. The church, and it's steps look similar to those in the movie, but Mulberry Street is a narrow street, and the movie's scene made it appear that the church was in a more "suburban" setting. See the photo (below) of the exterior of Old St. Pat's.

The Outside of Old St. Patrick's Cathedral
[Linked Image]

Luca's death scene was definitely The Hotel Edison. Its still there, and the lobby and restaurant (used for Luca's bar scene) are absolutely gorgeous (see photo below of the lobby).

The lobby of the hotel used for Luca Brasi's death scene
[Linked Image]

Re: Shooting Locations #1680
10/02/02 06:39 PM
10/02/02 06:39 PM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
The hospital scenes in GF1 where the Don was in danger was shot (the inside scenes, not the outside ones) in Lincoln Hospital on 143rd street in the South Bronx, where my wife was born. It is called "The Old Lincoln" because the hospital was rebuilt on 149th St. and Grand Concourse. I wish I had pictures. frown

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: Shooting Locations #1681
10/03/02 03:44 PM
10/03/02 03:44 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
The outside shot of the Dons' meeting is, I believe, the Fed in NY (Maiden Lane & Liberty Streets in the Wall Street area of Manhattan).

Federal Reserve Bank of New York
[Linked Image]

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Shooting Locations #1682
10/04/02 04:30 AM
10/04/02 04:30 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Very interesting. If somebody has more pictures please post them. I'd like to see them.

Re: Shooting Locations #1683
10/04/02 09:16 AM
10/04/02 09:16 AM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
The outside shot of the Dons' meeting is, I believe, the Fed in NY (Maiden Lane & Liberty Streets in the Wall Street area of Manhattan).
I don't doubt you at all and you're probably correct, but I always thought it was the Waldorf. confused

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: Shooting Locations #1684
10/04/02 09:28 AM
10/04/02 09:28 AM
Michigan
DonPalentino Offline
Underboss
DonPalentino  Offline
Underboss
Michigan
Great pictures guys thanks That hotel where luca got killed looks very nice. Ive been to the St. Patricks Cathedral when I was on a field trip with my 8th grade class. I went to a Catholic school.

Leonard: I dont know. See, I have this condition.
Teddy: Well, I hope its not as serious as his, 'cos this guy's dead.
Re: Shooting Locations #1685
10/04/02 12:21 PM
10/04/02 12:21 PM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Originally posted by DonPalentino:
Great pictures guys thanks That hotel where luca got killed looks very nice.
I want to go here it looks absolutely gorgeous smile

[Linked Image]

Hope I wouldn't end up like luca eek

FH

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull