GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bronx), 388 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,459
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139357
12/25/05 09:38 PM
12/25/05 09:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
I saw it today. This Kong is a pretty decent actioner that raises the bar for special effects.

SPOILERS: Once you get past the interminable, time-destroying initial 45-50 minutes, there's action aplenty, starting with the near-shipwreck as they approach Skull Island. There are quite a few thoughtful and imaginative touches that give you more than your money's worth: the brontosaurus stampede; the initial billets-doux twixt Ann Darrow and Kong when he first gets her back to her lair; Kong's rampage in Times Square (the set has just the right theatrical touch, like the fireworks near the beginning of "Gangs of New York"), and Kong's ass-slide in Central Park. END OF SPOILERS
But too often the film lacks restraint and intelligence. The action sequences go on far, far, FAR too long: how many split second escapes, missed tyrannosaurus nips, getting caught by jungle vines, last-second rescues by the big ape, etc., can you endure before sheer exhaustion sets in? And the constant spinning camerawork during the action scenes (no doubt a device to keep you from focusing on the rather cheaply executed backdrops) are irritating and obvious. Restraint and intelligence enabled "Jurassic Park" to be not only a great specials-film, but a fine drama: Spielberg had the good sense to reserve his most hair-raising scenes for the smallest dinosaurs, not the biggest. Here, big (and long) are everything. And while Ann Darrow's attempts to rescue Kong had their touching (and yes, imaginative) moments, excessive length made them ridiculous (and director Peter Jackson couldn't resist throwing in 15 or 20 more hair-raising escapes for Darrow on the Empire State building alone--ye gods!). And Kong took longer to expire than Violeta, the heroine of Verdi's "La Traviata."
Naomi Watts makes a very appealing Darrow, right up there with Fay Wray. The rest of the cast is better than good, except for Jack Black, who, as director Carl Denham, does so much beady-eyed, gape-mouthed staring that he looks like he's been lobotomized and is just discovering it.

This Kong is about a thousand times better than the 1976 abomination. But so is just about every other movie I've seen since then. While I enjoyed it a lot on the big screen, I doubt that I could sit through it again. It made me appreciate more than ever the genius of the original, whose specials are still truly amazing for the time (and stand up superbly), and which told its story better, more succinctly and more credibly than this one.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139358
01/04/06 06:29 PM
01/04/06 06:29 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Saw it tonight.

The kind of remake nobody seems to be making--a passionate homage and aesthetic transcendence of the original; it is also an exhilarating piece of filmmaking, and a convincing portrayal of both the human condition and artistic principle. At times a very subtle film, at others an excessive, self-indulgent joy to behold.

Jack Black has been overlooked here. I found his performance full of charm and charisma, and I was on his Herzogian director's side all the way until he succumbed to the greed and cash of his own higher-ups. When the others are all reaching for their guns, Denham reaches for his camera. I loved him.

The opening third didn't drag at all; in fact, Jackson uses it wisely, for the most part, to set up character relationships. You have to admire the original though, for doing so in such a concise time (clocking in at just over eighty minutes). That this both transcends and enhances feelings of the original pays testament to Jackson's storytelling prowess. And this is a film as much about Film itself as it is about a giant gorilla falling in love with a girl.

Exhilarating and, ultimately, exhausting. One of the films of the year, and I have no reason to see it again.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139359
01/04/06 06:45 PM
01/04/06 06:45 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
:rolleyes: but....am I the only one here who isn't interested at all in watching this movie?
Nope, not at all. I saw some sort of interview w/ Jackson awhile ago, and he is so fucking arrogent. He believes that he is the one and only persdon doing anything "good" for cinema. Aside from the fact that I hate the director, I have also been less then impressed with his previous work (and yes, Im talking about more then just LOTR)and I also do not feel like wasting 3 hours of my time watching something that was filmed in front of a green screen. Is that enough rant for you?

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139360
01/04/06 08:18 PM
01/04/06 08:18 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
the brontosaurus stampede
Technically, the animals are named Apatosaurus. Brontosaurus is an incorrect name, used as a popular term by the big audience.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139361
01/06/06 12:22 AM
01/06/06 12:22 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Of all people, I figured Capo would be on my side, but alas perhaps the holiday sauce and (war crimes-like) British cuisine probably finally got to our comrade in arms.

Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139362
01/06/06 09:57 AM
01/06/06 09:57 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Yeah, Ron, I got caught up in that stampede. My final sentence sums it up for me: an extraordinary film, and I have no reason or desire to see it again.

If that makes sense. Not that I have to defend my opinion to an elitist nobjocky like you.

By the way, you\'re needed here . Pop in for a cup of tea sometime.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139363
01/06/06 12:40 PM
01/06/06 12:40 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Haha Capo. Wait, what the hell is a "nobjocky?"

Actually, I don't slam your opinion Capo, for hey I respect you on a very high level. I just wondered at the time....why 3/4 score for KING KONG? But now I understand quite clearly.

Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139364
01/06/06 12:46 PM
01/06/06 12:46 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
By the way, you\'re needed here . Pop in for a cup of tea sometime.
Hah, Capo. Never miss any opritunity to pimp the boards, huh?

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: "King Kong" (2005 Version) #139365
01/06/06 01:37 PM
01/06/06 01:37 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Hey, Capo has to feed his kids.....or whores, whatever which I can't remember.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull