GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 312 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,114
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 45 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion #119596
05/30/06 04:53 PM
05/30/06 04:53 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago

Great book! A recommended book about a great star.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Books you just read discussion #119597
05/31/06 09:16 AM
05/31/06 09:16 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code I'd been meaning to read it for quite some time now. Then the film came out. I wanted to read the book before I saw the film...so I caved in and bought it. Excellent so far, I must say.

After that...I'm delving into this:

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion #119598
06/01/06 08:26 AM
06/01/06 08:26 AM
UK
DE NIRO'S SISTER Offline
Underboss
DE NIRO'S SISTER  Offline
Underboss
UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Last semester I read this and enjoyed it the most out of the first 4 books. It was the longest up to that point but in some parts it felt like it wasn't long enough. I can't wait until I can read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this summer.

I also got this for Christmas and read it while I was in New York. I enjoyed it but was very disappointed. I was hoping it would pick up right where For the Love of the Game left off but unfortunately it didn't. It was about his life but also about his Jordan Brand and business. Basically it was just about the qualities Michael Jordan possessed, how he's used them in the business world as well as the basketball court, and how he's been successful

Iv read nearly al of the books funnily enough however i havnt read the first one im half way through! Harry potter that is!

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119599
06/01/06 02:43 PM
06/01/06 02:43 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:

After that...I'm delving into this:

Yes! Rasputin! I haven't read it, but he is, to me, one of the most interesting figures in history, next to maybe Hitler. Rasputin absolutely fascinates me... Such a bizarre man.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Books you just read discussion #119600
06/01/06 03:13 PM
06/01/06 03:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by DE NIRO'S SISTER:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Last semester I read this and enjoyed it the most out of the first 4 books. It was the longest up to that point but in some parts it felt like it wasn't long enough. I can't wait until I can read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this summer.

I also got this for Christmas and read it while I was in New York. I enjoyed it but was very disappointed. I was hoping it would pick up right where For the Love of the Game left off but unfortunately it didn't. It was about his life but also about his Jordan Brand and business. Basically it was just about the qualities Michael Jordan possessed, how he's used them in the business world as well as the basketball court, and how he's been successful

Iv read nearly al of the books funnily enough however i havnt read the first one im half way through! Harry potter that is! [/b][/quote]I read books 1, 2 and 3 after viewing the movies last summer. I read book 4 before the movie came out and currently I'm reading book 5. I want to try to read book 6 as well before I have to go back to Texas for school in August.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119601
06/01/06 03:50 PM
06/01/06 03:50 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
Yes! Rasputin! I haven't read it, but he is, to me, one of the most interesting figures in history, next to maybe Hitler. Rasputin absolutely fascinates me... Such a bizarre man.
I agree, LLC. I watched a documentary on Rasputin a couple weeks ago, on the History Channel, I believe. Quite a fascinating character. This book was mentioned on the documentary, so I picked it up.

He was such a perplexing individual. His prediction of WWI, or the way he seemingly would alleviate the Czar's son's haemophilia, just through prayer. Some skeptics believed he achieved this through hypnosis, but no one has been able to figure out how he did the last time...all the way from his home in Syberia. And the way he died was remarkable as well. It seemed like no matter what they did to him...he just wouldn't go down.

I can't wait to read the book!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion #119602
06/01/06 03:53 PM
06/01/06 03:53 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I've just started reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson; a change in pace and direction for me, and I'm enjoying it so far.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion #119603
06/01/06 08:08 PM
06/01/06 08:08 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I'm gonna start reading The Godfather Returns tonight. I'm scared.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion #119604
06/01/06 08:15 PM
06/01/06 08:15 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Be afraid...be very afraid. Actually...don't be. Pick it up and start reading if you're having trouble sleeping. Not only is The Godfather Returns a book...but it also doubles as a terrific sedative.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119605
06/04/06 06:04 PM
06/04/06 06:04 PM
Bath, UK
Wiseguy_1872 Offline
Underboss
Wiseguy_1872  Offline
Underboss
Bath, UK
Just read The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler.

Chandler was a genius - superb plotting.

His books are far superior than the movies they became IMHO.

Not dismissing movies such as Hawks's version of The Big Sleep, just find the novels more stimulating.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119606
06/05/06 03:12 PM
06/05/06 03:12 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have nearly finished "Queen of the South" bt Arturo-Perez-Reverte. It is translated from Spanish and is about drug smuggling in Mexico,the Costa Del Sol & throws in the Sicilian & Russian Mafia's for good measure.
It is a good,thick book well worth a read by anyone.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion #119607
06/22/06 03:30 PM
06/22/06 03:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Well, I'm very proud that I got this book done is only 26 days. The length of the book didn't bother me as much except I felt it didn't provide a lot of "suspensfulness" as the other books did. In book 1, they're looking for the Sorcerer's Stone, book 2 the Chamber of Secrets, book 3 trying to figure out who how Sirius broke out of Azkaban and why he's after Harry/fighting dementors, book 4 the Triwizard Tournament. What really disappointed me in this book was just not a real interesting "central theme" as the other books had. I plan on reading The Half-Blood Prince before I go back to school in August.

SPOILERS

I loved the whole Harry vs Umbridge feud and the fact that Ron, Herminone and Malfoy were made prefects. Also that Ron, Ginny, Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle are all playing Quiditch. And I was VERY surprised to hear that Sirius died (I had no idea that was coming). But what pissed me off most about this book is that it was like reading a journal of Harry. It was like, today I went to Defense Against the Dark Arts class, got detention from Umbridge, got kicked off the Quiditch team and that's it. Then when it got to the end I was TOTALLY pissed that the fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort was so short and that Voldemort just ran with Bellatrix. The last 2 chapters were good (The Lost Prophecy and The Second War Begins) but overall I was disappointed with this book.

END OF SPOILERS

Re: Books you just read discussion #119608
06/23/06 01:03 PM
06/23/06 01:03 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Just finished "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. Great work of nonfic, highly recommend.

Now reading "My Antonia" by Willa Cather.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Books you just read discussion #119609
06/23/06 01:08 PM
06/23/06 01:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Saladbar:
Just finished "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. Great work of nonfic, highly recommend.
Seen the film? Not Capote, but In Cold Blood. Recommended.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion #119610
07/11/06 06:15 PM
07/11/06 06:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
All I can say after reading the final Harry Potter book is WOW! and give me more! I finished this book in 17 days and it didn't go fast enough. The cliffhanger at the end of this book is the best and I couldn't put this book down. Easily my favorite book of the series and I eageraly anticipate both this movie and the final book. I don't want to have to wait another year to read book 7!

SPOILERS I was so happy to FINALLY see Harry and Ginny hook up but was pissed when he broke it off at the end (although I understood why). I'm still waiting for Ron and Hermione to get together. Plus, I can't wait to see what Harry does to Snape, Malfoy and Voldemort. I think the next book will have to be longer than The Order of the Phoenix. END OF SPOILERS

Updated rankings:

Books
1) The Half-Blood Prince
2) The Goblet of Fire
3) The Prisoner of Azkaban
4) The Sorcerer's Stone
5) The Order of the Phoenix
6) The Chamber of Secrets

Movies
1) The Sorcerer's Stone
2) The Goblet of Fire
3) The Prisoner of Azkaban
4) The Chamber of Secrets

Re: Books you just read discussion #119611
07/11/06 06:52 PM
07/11/06 06:52 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
I'm gonna start reading The Godfather Returns tonight. I'm scared.
Bogey, I havent checked "random post whoring" for a century now, but I guess that if I do, I'll be reading the following :

post 9875 : ARGGG, my stupid roommate is driving me crazy!

post 9911 : Fucking roommates!

post 9913 : I really have to kill my roommate!

etc

Am I right?

well if she's still a problem, heres my solution :

Take the book, "The Godfather Returns", wrap it up real nice, and give it to her. It will be the "perfect" gift.

(...tell her that you'd be very upset if she wont read it all )

I can also suggest other "gifts" if you have more than one roommate...PM me for instructions!

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Books you just read discussion #119612
07/12/06 11:34 AM
07/12/06 11:34 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Originally posted by Fame:
Bogey, I havent checked "random post whoring" for a century now, but I guess that if I do, I'll be reading the following :

post 9875 : ARGGG, my stupid roommate is driving me crazy!

post 9911 : Fucking roommates!

post 9913 : I really have to kill my roommate!

etc

Am I right?

well if she's still a problem, heres my solution :

Take the book, "The Godfather Returns", wrap it up real nice, and give it to her. It will be the "perfect" gift.

(...tell her that you'd be very upset if she wont read it all )

I can also suggest other "gifts" if you have more than one roommate...PM me for instructions!
She'd probably read it and love it. But only if someone she liked said that it was the most amazing piece of literature ever to grace this Earth. Because that's just how she is. She bought The Godfather the game for the sole reason because our friend Gary said he liked the Godfather. I've been ranting and raving and quoting the movie for as long as she's known me, and she hasn't so much as bothered to rent the movie. Or hell, she doesn't have to spend a thing (even though daddy will pay for it ) I would have let her borrow it! But noooooo.

One time she told me she was going to make me 'play with the fishes'... I'm pretty sure that's what it was. At any rate, she completely butchered the "sleep with the fishes" reference.

Haha. But yeah, she's not so bad now.. but that's just because she started dating her old boyfriend again (my ex) so she's spending all her time with him and blowing me off. But I'm perfectly okay with that. The less time I spend with her the more I like her.

Haha, but I ended up not even reading so much as the first page of The Godfather Returns. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I got a couple Palahniuk books.. infinately better, I'm sure.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119613
07/12/06 07:37 PM
07/12/06 07:37 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Sounds like your roommate is in serious need of a personality.
and you want to tell me that you're living in the same house, you got the GF DVD lying there, and she never wanted to see it??? - she should be locked in prison for that! No parole!

(I wanted to say that she should be executed or something like that, but Im just gonna wait for DVC to show his face in this thread with his usual non-controversial comment: "I hope she'll die of cancer" )

"play with the fishes" ? AAAHHHHH my ears!!!
tell her to see the movie or shut the fuck up!
that reminds me of a stupid fella I met who told me "Im gonna make you an offer you cant deny"....he also told me that the name "Bada Bing" was invented by David Chase :rolleyes: ...but its getting worse, believe it or not, one time my friend was watching GF3 and this dumbass pops in asking if we got filtered water (of course we dont!and then he starts preaching to us about how unhealthy it is to drink from the tap...but thats another lame story about him)so anyway, he invited himself (as always) to watch the movie with my friend, and then when Michael said "Just when I thought I was out..." he got up screaming : "Hey, thats Sil's line! and this guy doesnt even know how to do it!" :rolleyes:

Palahniuk sounds much, much better -I've only read "Fight Club" and I loved it. Im gonna start reading "Survivor" soon.
Do u read Irvine Welsh as well? if not, u should, start with "Trainspotting" of course, neat stuff

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Books you just read discussion #119614
07/12/06 10:28 PM
07/12/06 10:28 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Oh god, don't even get me started about her so-called personality. She made fun of me for I don't know HOW long because I loved the Beatles. Then we get to college, and we meet this boy Chris. She was all "omgz hez so0o0o0o hawt".. (Personally, I found the kid to be quite hideous. But I digress) Anyway, Chris loved the Beatles too, so we'd talk about them.. and she'd be completely lost. The next day, she was a regular Beatlemaniac. So fake.

We weren't just living in the same house - Oh no. We were dormmates. We were in the same room and she never bothered to watch the movie.

As for DVC, don't mind him. He's Asian.

And I think I would have punched your friend in the face, had he said that to me.

Palahniuk is infinitely better. I've read a couple of his books, I'm currently reading Lullaby and Diary. Well, that is when I have time. Sooomebody likes to keep me glued to the computer. And that same soooooomebody suggested Irvine Welsh to me also. I'll give you a hint. He's got a fanclub. Hah.

But yeah, Jocelyn's just one big ball of fake. I rarely hang out with her anymore. If only she could be as musically and cinematically elite as I am. Then again, if only the world could be as elite as I, it'd be a much better place.

Yeah, I totally went there.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119615
07/13/06 01:37 AM
07/13/06 01:37 AM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Palahniuk is one of my favorite writers... I've read all of his work, except for his latest, Haunted. I would say Fight Club, Survivor, and Choke are his best. I really enjoyed Choke.

Anyways, while I am posting here I may as well put it to use. I just recently finished Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson (another one of my favorites). This book was absolutely histerical... More comedic genius from the worlds greatest journalist. I went through hell to get this book. I finally tracked the thing down at a Borders, after it being out of print for years, and recently re-released. The thing cost me fifty bucks, and is fucking huge. I mean, this thing is HUGE. It's about 1.5 times the size of my foot... and I wear a size 12 shoe. If I wanted, I could kill a bear with it, and skin it using the corner of the hardcover. But I would never do that; not when this is such a lovely piece of literature. It's a quick and easy read, and very amusing. Ralph Steadman's illustrations are sick, twisted, and excellent. In color, and about 20 inches tall.

I also finished Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter-House Five last night. Another astonishingly quick read. It was wonderful... Very well written.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Books you just read discussion #119616
08/02/06 06:46 PM
08/02/06 06:46 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I finally finished The Shining about a week ago - it was just incredible. I thought it might be silly to read the book after I'd already seen the movie, but the two ended up being quite different (if anyone else has read it, I'd love to discuss this). I was able to imagine Jack Nicholson the entire time, but also enjoy the many extra details and analysis of the characters. I especially loved the insight on Jack's character - the psychological aspect of it was wonderful.

I'm on a Stephen King kick, so I'm now working on Four Past Midnight , a collection of four novellas. I skipped to Secret Window, Secret Garden first, and I'm loving it. The best part is imagining Johnny Depp all throughout. The movie is a lot more true to this story, but I think it's always fun to experience the literary form, as well. I hope to read The Langoliers next. I remember watching the TV mini-series of this, actually - the story isn't so fresh in my mind, but I know I liked it.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119617
08/02/06 07:15 PM
08/02/06 07:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
I finally finished The Shining about a week ago - it was just incredible. I thought it might be silly to read the book after I'd already seen the movie, but the two ended up being quite different (if anyone else has read it, I'd love to discuss this). I was able to imagine Jack Nicholson the entire time, but also enjoy the many extra details and analysis of the characters. I especially loved the insight on Jack's character - the psychological aspect of it was wonderful.
I read The Shining too, although it was years ago. I don't remember much from it other than the fact, as you pointed out, how different it is from the movie. I also was imagining Jack Nicholson. I always do that when I watch a movie and then read the book (I did for The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter's and I'm sure I'll do the same if and when I get the Sin City graphic novels).

Re: Books you just read discussion #119618
08/06/06 12:12 AM
08/06/06 12:12 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
After finishing Secret Window, Secret Garden last night (and having a dream which involved me wearing Shooter's black felt hat and talking with a southern accent), I have to say that it also turned out to be way different from the movie.

I liked the book's ending a lot more - it just seemed more fitting - but I was so surprised by the contrast.

I love Stephen King!

Re: Books you just read discussion #119619
08/06/06 07:53 AM
08/06/06 07:53 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I used to read all of King's books, but stopped after Desperation, although I did enjoy From a Buick 8. It seemed like good old fashioned King.

My two favorites are still The Stand and It. I also liked his non-fiction book about being a writer. Whenever I think of The Shining, it reminds me of the episode of Friends when Joey and Rachel agree to switch and read one another's favorite books. Joey reads Little Women, and Rachel reads The Shining. It was one of the funniest episodes ever.

Mr. Babe does NOT like to read, but when he travels to Europe on business, I try to give him a book for the plane. He started The Stand on a trip to Germany a few years ago, and never finished it. I asked him HOW could he not finish a book about a plague that destroys the majority of the human race and then pits the survivors in a classic good v. evil scenario. I said, "Don't you want to know who wins????". He watched the mini-series instead.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion #119620
08/06/06 07:04 PM
08/06/06 07:04 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
I finally finished The Shining about a week ago - it was just incredible. \
Good to hear. I`ve been planning to read it for months, and I hope to finally start in a while from now.
Together with Salem`s Lot, which is also Stephen King`s, isn`t it?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Books you just read discussion #119621
08/07/06 12:29 AM
08/07/06 12:29 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
SB, I started It during this past school year, but things got busy, so I never finished. I really enjoyed it and read a good amount, but now that it's been so long, I'll probably have to read over a lot that I don't remember. I hate when I allow myself to take a "break" from a book, only to realize later that I've forgotten so much.

Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Together with Salem`s Lot, which is also Stephen King`s, isn`t it?
Yes, it is - I have it, as well, but haven't gotten to it. I also have Carrie (also half-read), Needful Things, Pet Sematary, and Misery to read. I guess I'm a slow reader - I think it's slight OCD, because I try to really take in all of the details - but I certainly do enjoy it.

Let me know how your reading comes along!

Re: Books you just read discussion #119622
08/07/06 12:49 AM
08/07/06 12:49 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
OCD
What is that thing? :p

I have a lot of Stephen King books at home, but I never read a single one.

They aren`t high on my priority list - I have like 6 feet of books to read - so I`ll just see how the Shining works out.
The Exorcist - which is somewhat the same genre - is also on my to-read list.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Books you just read discussion #119623
08/07/06 11:57 AM
08/07/06 11:57 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The Stand is definitely my favorite of all his books. I have to admire how King kept track all of the storylines and characters. He said that it was like tap-dancing on the grave of the world, to an extent. The mini-series was not bad. Rob Lowe and Gary Sinise did an excellent job, as did Bill Faggerbake (sorry if I spelled that wrong, but he was GREAT as Tom Cullen), but Molly Ringwald spoiled it for me. For me, trying to find her believable as the pregnant, heroic Fran was just TOO much of a stretch of the imagination.

I think that It was his scariest book, but maybe that's because I have clown-phobia as it is!! My nephew loves to call me up and say, "We all float down here!" because he knows it scares the bejeepers out of me. I also liked the one that King wrote with Peter Straub (the title escapes me), but the sequel was awful.

I have King's Hearts of Atlantis, but have been to lazy to read it. My daughter wants me to read Blackbird, but I just can't get motivated. She loved it, and the sequel, too. I bought my mother a book for Mother's Day called The Reluctant Tuscan, which is the true story of a man whose wife makes him move to Tuscany, and he hates it at first, but then falls in love with Italy. Been meaning to read that, too.

Maybe we should change this thread to "Books you HAVEN'T read" .

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion #119624
08/07/06 08:41 PM
08/07/06 08:41 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Quote:
I just finished Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company, and I loved it.

Amazon Page

It was beautifully written and, though an easy read, captured and held my attention completely. I've enjoyed Martin as a comic for years now, but I never would've expected to find such sheer poetry in his literary work.

I was certain that someone in my family had a copy of Shopgirl, so I'll hopefully get my hands on that, next.
I enjoyed both of Steve Martin's books. I was suprised he wrote so well.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Books you just read discussion #119625
08/28/06 11:45 AM
08/28/06 11:45 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Finished this book recentley very good read,from Cyn Lennon's side 6/10

[IMG] [/IMG]

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Page 6 of 45 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull