GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 393 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,094
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion #119566
01/27/06 12:16 PM
01/27/06 12:16 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Ovation Lavinia! I rarely feel such pleasure as I do reading you in this thread.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
I wish I could master English better. It's terribly hard to let myself completely understood.....
Lavi, you have brilliant English. Better then I do, possibly.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Books you just read discussion #119567
01/27/06 01:23 PM
01/27/06 01:23 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
So you believe that the only criterion for evaluating a work of literature (or, if we apply this concept to any form of art -- paintings, sculpture, music, whatever) is just the individual passion for it? No objective and absolute value, no intrinsic merit?
If the reader approaches both texts with an open mind and Harry Potter engages more, and he gets more from it, then yes, it is a better book.

If no work of art evokes some kind of response inside of you, then it isn't good. It's impossible to rate something as a masterpiece and at the same time taking some objective stance and claim you have no passion for it. If you recognise it as a masterpiece, you must hold some passion for it. Lav, you hold The Pieta as a masterpiece because of your personal attachment to it; there's nothing wrong with that. So do I. You don't rate Harry Potter a masterpiece because of your personal detachment, or rejection of it.

Quote:
Are you telling me if some spotty teenagers tell me MichaelAngel's Pity is nothing but a crappy piece of marble, should I respect him simply because he doesn't have passion for it?

If anybody claims anything to be "crappy" without giving some kind of personal elaboration, then no, their opinion merits no respect. If the same teenager responds to Harry Potter by saying it's a "boring piece of shit", I'd feel the same way. What if I say The Pieta fails to evoke in me any sympathy for the figures it depicts? Does that mean I'm wrong, because the work of Art's objective greatness automatically overrides my own opinion? And, for the record, I admire the sculpture's accurate representation of the human figure, and because of that, I rate it a masterpiece of form.
Quote:
Isn't the Pity a masterpiece per se, regardless of what you feel about it?
If I said Michelangelo's figures were too accurate, and argued that if Art represents the world we see in a way so as to look real, then you may as well just take a photograph of it, then I'd be wrong? What if I said it was an overly manipulative piece, intended to evoke certain emotions in us, and failed in its goal, because I rejected those values? What if I think his sculpting abilities are far inferior to other artist's? Am I wrong?

Everything, I think, is a masterpiece in its own right. It's just a case of whether or not you connect with that. You don't connect with the masterpiece inside of Harry Potter; I don't connect with the masterpiece inside of Georgia O'Keefe's work.

Quote:
How can you even think of comparing King Lear to Harry Potter with a sort of a neutral attitude?
Actually, it's quite the opposite. I'm comparing them with a personal attitude, judging their relative, intrinsic value upon me. You can't compare them in an objective way, I don't think. Or you could, but it defeats the purpose of Art appreciation, I think; these are literary texts, written by an artist and read by his/her audience. To value any work of art over another because it has stood the test of time more is unfair, I think (though I'm not saying you do). In fact, Harry Potter is part of my school's English syllabus now, and the year below me are studying it in comparison to Tom Brown's Schooldays as an academic subject.

Quote:
I totally agree, except that IMO it ALWAYS merits intellectual engagement, at least to some extent.
Yeah, it always merits intellectual engagement, but as long as it's studied.

Quote:
You read in order to understand and hopefully remember what you grasped precisely by means of an intellectual effort of some degree, depending on many variables. It's called learning. And you don't learn only when you study. On the contrary, this happens seldom. Unfortunately.
I don't mean studied in the sense of sitting down in class and answering questions on it. It can be done alone. Studying automatically implies some academic approach, and, actually, this approach is the one that is, for me, too fussy in trying to decode the meaning and messages of works of Art. There are more abstract, more pesonal, more rewarding ways to approach texts. Take this, for example: ever read when you're tired as hell, or with something distracting your mind, and you find yourself reading the same sentence over and over again, without it registering? This is, I think, reading without studying it. Thinking back to it after reading, you won't be able to respond in any way. But if you give everything to the text, then you're engaging in it, and that means you're studying it. In fact, I don't think things have to be studied post-reading, and that the actual reading of a text is good enough. The problem in some spotty teenager's rejection of Michelangelo lies not in his response, but in that he didn't give everything into his appreciation of it. This is why I always watch a film all the way through, or why I always insist on silence when watching a film with others, or why I wear headphones when watching them alone. So that, if I reject the piece, at least I've given everything into it.

Quote:
I basically consider good literature any work of literature which outlives fashions and time and (even if to a lesser degree) space, which gives me some deep intellectual emotions that I'm going to keep and hopefully share (if possible). "Trendy" literature only enriches its authors and is likely to be blown away without leaving any significant trace.
So this automatically places a prejudice against newer authors and works. It basically says that, the novels we're reading today, whichi were also written today, we have no say in the matter whether they're good or not, and it'll be long after we die when they're judged as to their greatness. Do you agree with this? I don't. Who decides what is trendy and what is "deep"? History? Perhaps, but what if you're alive in 1606, and have just seen King Lear for the first time. Everybody's raving about it; its author wrote it for a quick buck. Is it, then, only trendy Literature, and not good? Or what of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Written by Stevenson, again, for a quick buck,and yet there are endless social, psychological and historical comments to be found in the piece.

I don't read a novel to understand it. I read it to understand myself. All texts (works of Art) are mirrors for humanity to gaze into it. Some argue that it's the most confrontational, challenging works that make that mirror the most rewarding, and therefore award Tragedies and Drama as the best kind of Literature. But what if some philospher reaches a stage in his life of total self-contentment, and decides one day, to sit down and read a Mills and Boon novel, and thinks it's the best book he's ever read?

Thanks for reading.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion #119568
01/27/06 01:32 PM
01/27/06 01:32 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Mick, but you see any difference between, say, The Magus and Harry Potter? At least in their language? And how can you explain it?

Re: Books you just read discussion #119569
01/27/06 01:38 PM
01/27/06 01:38 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yeah.

The Magus explores far more interesting themes for me: Truth, facade, perception, love and obsession; whenever I read it it conjures up in me a zest for all the things Urfe goes through. I feel his betrayal every time I read it, and take relish in allowing myself to get lost in, and find new things in, Conchis' cryptic maze of Chinese boxes.

I've read Harry Potter, enjoyed it immensely, and therefore think its great. Approaching it with thoughtful analysis is the wrong way to judge it; of course, as a novel primarily intended for children (adults' love for it was a happy coincidence, I think), to reduct its quality due to it having no deep, inner meaning is like disclaiming The Magus because children can't understand it.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119570
01/27/06 01:43 PM
01/27/06 01:43 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
In case you reply before I edit, another paragraph:

If somebody said to me that they found Harry Potter far superior to The Magus because it spoke to them more, because they hold a personal love for fantasy fiction and how it inventively turns today's mundane education into some fantastical other world to which we can aspire and relate, then I have no problem with that.

If I said The Magus was better than Harry Potter because it had stood the test of time more, and was a more serious novel, I'd piss Potter-ites off; and in turn, I wouldn't respect anybody's opinion if they said The Magus was shit.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119571
01/27/06 01:51 PM
01/27/06 01:51 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Of course they explore subjects of different depth. But still there's the level of language. You think Harry Potter as well written?

Re: Books you just read discussion #119572
01/27/06 02:05 PM
01/27/06 02:05 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I find Rowling's language completely appropriate to the style and tone of the book. Do I find Fowles a better writer, though? Yes, because he engages me more. When I read Fowles' work, I suspend my disbelief emphatically, and embrace his characters and style as fictional embodiments of myself and my own world; I see many traits in Nicholas Urfe which I find in myself. When I read Harry Potter (which, ironically, was for school, about four years ago), I also suspended my disbelief. Which is, I think, good enough; especially for a fantasy novel.

Rowling is a far better writer than Puzo, I think.

To be fair, though, my thoughts on Rowling's language stems from my (vague) memory of it; if I revisited it today, I may well find it atrocious.

I know many girls who cried at the newest Harry Potter novel. If that doesn't merit praise for its use of language, I don't know what does. You need some kind of linguistic skill to evoke that kind of response in your readers when you're wanting to.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119573
01/27/06 03:52 PM
01/27/06 03:52 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
That must not lead you astray, girls often cry about sheer nothings.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119574
01/28/06 11:51 AM
01/28/06 11:51 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Rowling is a far better writer than Puzo, I think.
I cannot agree here.
Puzo's writing can be at times very uneven, but at his best he's a genius. His prose is excellent, deep, and able to say many things between the lines, which I value most of all in good literature. But I won't start one more discussion on Puzo here, I've spent enough time analyzing the depth of his writing talent in other sections of these boards.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119575
01/30/06 11:29 AM
01/30/06 11:29 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
If the reader approaches both texts with an open mind and Harry Potter engages more, and he gets more from it, then yes, it is a better book.
ok, there must be some generational gap here, Capo. I surrender! But you are still my fav BBs' spotless teenager. May I hope I'm still your fav BBs' teacher?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Books you just read discussion #119576
01/30/06 11:35 AM
01/30/06 11:35 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
Ovation Lavinia! I rarely feel such pleasure as I do reading you in this thread.
JM, this is extremely rewarding for me. No kidding!

Quote:
Lavi, you have brilliant English. Better then I do, possibly.
This is plain lie. But I'll pretend I believe it anyway. I'm in a desperate need of flattering words at the moment...

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Books you just read discussion #119577
01/30/06 11:49 AM
01/30/06 11:49 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
I'm in a desperate need of flattering words at the moment...
Lavi, you are just the best. The best. You are like sunshine. We all love you. I suggest we write your nickname LOVEY.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119578
01/30/06 12:05 PM
01/30/06 12:05 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Lavi, you are just the best. The best. You are like sunshine. We all love you. I suggest we write your nickname LOVEY.
WOW, that's some flattering stuff! I think I'm feeling better now. Thank you, JM. Anytime I need some outrageously flattering words I'll ask you!

Re: Books you just read discussion #119579
01/30/06 12:09 PM
01/30/06 12:09 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I'm no good with words.

Would you allow flattering actions? (Please, allow me.)

And that was too much of an easy surrender; I'm disappointed. But yeah, I'll be your student any day.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119580
01/30/06 12:15 PM
01/30/06 12:15 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
I'm no good with words.
you are more than good with words, Capo. Trust me.

Quote:
Would you allow flattering actions? (Please, allow me.)
You are legally an adult, right? I don't risk jail, do I?

Quote:
And that was too much of an easy surrender; I'm disappointed.
I cannot compete with Harry Potter, Capo. He uses his tricks and I refuse using mine on you, dear!

Re: Books you just read discussion #119581
01/30/06 12:22 PM
01/30/06 12:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Read The Camel Club this weekend. Typical potbopiler "thriller." Full of holes, cliches, and had an outcome I figured out halfway through the book. YAWN

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Books you just read discussion #119582
01/30/06 01:39 PM
01/30/06 01:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Last semester I read this and enjoyed it the most out of the first 4 books. It was the longest up to that point but in some parts it felt like it wasn't long enough. I can't wait until I can read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this summer.

I also got this for Christmas and read it while I was in New York. I enjoyed it but was very disappointed. I was hoping it would pick up right where For the Love of the Game left off but unfortunately it didn't. It was about his life but also about his Jordan Brand and business. Basically it was just about the qualities Michael Jordan possessed, how he's used them in the business world as well as the basketball court, and how he's been successful

Re: Books you just read discussion #119583
02/21/06 09:47 PM
02/21/06 09:47 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Mmmm....2 questions, one for Capo, one for Lavinia...

Quote:

I know many girls who cried at the newest Harry Potter novel. If that doesn't merit praise for its use of language, I don't know what does. You need some kind of linguistic skill to evoke that kind of response in your readers when you're wanting to.
Capo :

I know a dozen of girls who cry at "Armageddon" (there are at least 2 known tear-jerker scenes in this movie)and also at "Pearl Harbor" -(one of the last scenes)

Is Michael Bay a great director?

----
----

Lavinia :

Did you read any of the Harry Potter books?

-if you did, which one?

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Books you just read discussion #119584
02/21/06 10:05 PM
02/21/06 10:05 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I am currently reading "Shine" by Star Jones (Reynolds). I'm a big fan of hers (sorry I know most people here probably don't like her). I didn't realize how appropo (sp?) this book would be for me. She was 41 when she decided to make a change and when she realized how unhappy (although very successful) she was. She decided to lose weight and find the man of her dreams. The subtitle is Shine: A Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Journey to Finding Love And what do you know? She did, right in the middle of all that changing. It's a great book and I recommend it for all middle-aged women looking to improve ~ whether it be to marry, remarry or just feel better about yourself and life. Here's a link at amazon.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119585
02/22/06 06:34 AM
02/22/06 06:34 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Fame:
Lavinia :

Did you read any of the Harry Potter books?

-if you did, which one?
I read some extracts of the first one (can't remember the title). I had to because my pupils were absolutely thrilled with it and I wanted to realize what it was all about. And I still think what I thought then. It's harmless. If you add some "real" literature.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119586
02/22/06 12:02 PM
02/22/06 12:02 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California

Great autobiography! Very inspirational. I'm sure even non-wrestling fans would enjoy it.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion #119587
03/03/06 10:44 PM
03/03/06 10:44 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I just finished up reading The Great Gatsby for school, and, despite the depressed mood it put me in (realistic and too much like life... ), I really enjoyed it. I've had great luck with school books, and this is probably one of my favorites, now. I couldn't believe how easy it was to read, compared to ones like A Tale of Two Cities, yet it also had the "deep" meanings to it.

Anyway, after finding out that a movie was made of it, I'm hoping to rent it.

Has anyone here read the book or seen the film?

Re: Books you just read discussion #119588
03/03/06 11:12 PM
03/03/06 11:12 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I had to read the book and watch the movie for 11th grade English.

I really liked both, but maybe I'm weird. No one else in my class liked either.

Robert Redford was nice to look at anyway :p

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion #119589
03/03/06 11:33 PM
03/03/06 11:33 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Thanks, Bogey. Either you're not weird, or we're both weird. I always find myself getting much more into the books we read than most of my friends - English is my favorite subject, though, so maybe that's the reason.

I will definitely pay special attention to Robert Redford due to your recommendation...for character analysis, of course.

Gatsby's character was just so sad, though. I think I was just being greedy, and I wanted an idealistic story since it was just a story, and when it ended up reminding me so much of "real" life, it just left me feeling depressed. But it truly was a great book. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119590
05/20/06 07:36 PM
05/20/06 07:36 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

A friend of mine recommended I read this and the only reason I did was because she purchased me a copy. Not a bad book but it didn't have the affect on me that I think she was hoping it would.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119591
05/20/06 07:43 PM
05/20/06 07:43 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
"Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul" is certainly a tag line which would sell itself to me. You recommend it?

I've just finished, the other night, The French Lieutenant's Woman, by Fowles. A mesmerisingly seductive, always unpredictable, richly observed and brilliantly woven novel, layered, complex and utterly of its time. Perhaps a definitive dissection of Victorian society, sexual repression, social emancipation. I could almost read it again.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119592
05/20/06 07:46 PM
05/20/06 07:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
"Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul" is certainly a tag line which would sell itself to me. You recommend it
No I personally wouldn't recommend it

Re: Books you just read discussion #119593
05/21/06 06:32 AM
05/21/06 06:32 AM
UK
DE NIRO'S SISTER Offline
Underboss
DE NIRO'S SISTER  Offline
Underboss
UK
Im currently reading the book "REBECCA" i think the title is very catching and in your face. I first watched the film and thought it was good and now i am going to find out if the book is any better!

Rebecca (about the novel)

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119594
05/30/06 12:32 AM
05/30/06 12:32 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I just finished Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company, and I loved it.

Amazon Page

It was beautifully written and, though an easy read, captured and held my attention completely. I've enjoyed Martin as a comic for years now, but I never would've expected to find such sheer poetry in his literary work.

I found a lot of the character's OCD habits familiar, though to a less severe degree, thankfully. I've believed for a while now that many people possess at least a hint of OCD - in some way, we have our own distinct quirks that inhibit normalcy yet give us the sense of righteousness. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I truly felt for him and appreciated his feelings on love and life.

I was certain that someone in my family had a copy of Shopgirl, so I'll hopefully get my hands on that, next.

Re: Books you just read discussion #119595
05/30/06 07:09 AM
05/30/06 07:09 AM
Underboss
Underboss
I'd be interested in reading John Fante's "Ask the dust". I read enthustiastic reviews of it. Anybody read it?

Page 5 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull