GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,682
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Religion #111749
05/21/05 08:32 PM
05/21/05 08:32 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
You mean all those movies about Moses and Jesus are just fiction?

Funny thing, faith. Some historical writings indicate that there is a God. I was raised a Catholic. I have seen nothing to disprove my faith.....therefore - I believe, and it makes me feel good.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Religion #111750
05/21/05 09:06 PM
05/21/05 09:06 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
[quote]Originally posted by The Iceman:
[b] I have no beliefs one way or the other when it comes to heaven/hell. Now others do and that's fine by me, but the one thing I hate is when people try and force their religious beliefs on others...Now if anything I said offended anyone here then please accept my apologies in advance.
No apologies are necessary here, Ice! As Geoff says under this categorey, if folks don't like the topic or particular members, they can ignore them. I just wanted to respond mainly to your first statement. As I said, as carnal as I am, I'm no one to preach. But what you have to understand about Christians in particular, is that they do have a mandate to spread the Gospel. In Matthew 28:18-20, Jesus Himself made that clear.

I'm guessing your thoughts on that are probably a lot like mine: It's not the fact that people share their faith, but rather, how they share it. Far too many believers have a self-righteous, holier-than-thou approach and basically beat others over the head with the Bible. Truth be told, that's what turned me OFF from Christianity for years...that, and hypocrisy. Of course, by certain believers, I myself would be judged a hypocrite. I mean, hey, look at my avatar! And I know folks have seen how racy I can get in my posts. (There's even a poll on who's nastier, me or Part! ) But these are precisely the self-righteous type of believers to which I'm referring. What they fail to grasp is that Christ didn't come to convert "righteous" people; He came to transform sinners, and I certainly qualify! The holier-than-thou crowd neglects the grace of God in their techniques and in their lives. They forget that they, too, were just as vile and filthy in God's eyes as the worst sinner you can dream up, I don't care how "goody-goody" they were/are.

That's not to say that once converted, we're free to sin all we want. I readily confess that I'm not up-to-par on the moral level as I should be. But the difference is, the self-righteous won't admit their flaws. Jesus didn't condemn people who cursed (He hung out with Peter, who had a sailor's mouth on him!), or prostitues, or drunkards, or even homosexuals. Now, He didn't condone their behavior either. But my point is, what He did rail against and the sin that riled Him up more than any other was self-righteousness. The 4 Gospels are full of examples.

I guess what I'm saying, Ice, is that while you may not agree with what Christians believe and don't like them speaking out about their faith, try to understand that they believe they have a mandate to share it. Now, if one gets in your face and bashes you over the head with the Bible, you have my permission to kick his ass...In fact, I'd probably help you! [/b][/quote]Very well said Snake. I totaly agree with you.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Religion #111751
05/22/05 12:56 AM
05/22/05 12:56 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stiltz:
There is a heaven and a hell -You go to heaven by having an active relationship with Jesus Christ -if you dont have this you are going to the other place
So only Christians can go to heaven?

I guess I'd better go and re-pack. Looks like I'm gonna need some shorts and sandals.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Religion #111752
05/22/05 02:26 AM
05/22/05 02:26 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by Johnny Stiltz:
[b] There is a heaven and a hell -You go to heaven by having an active relationship with Jesus Christ -if you dont have this you are going to the other place
So only Christians can go to heaven?

I guess I'd better go and re-pack. Looks like I'm gonna need some shorts and sandals. [/b][/quote]well honestly plaw depending on who you ask you may be going there. From a strictly biblical point of view I've heard that the only way to get into heaven was to accept Jesus Christ as your savior, and from what I know of Judiasm I believe you consider him a prophet and not your savior. So according to that thought then you would.
I've had other people who have said (which is what I believe) that as long as you live a good life, are a good person etc.. then you would go to heaven.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Religion #111753
05/22/05 07:24 AM
05/22/05 07:24 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
I've had other people who have said (which is what I believe) that as long as you live a good life, are a good person etc.. then you would go to heaven.
Thanks DM, I feel much better now.

One of my big problems with religion is that there are so many "major" ones, each with a different belief system and concept of God, the afterlife, etc., that how do you know whose is right?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Religion #111754
05/22/05 07:49 AM
05/22/05 07:49 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] I've had other people who have said (which is what I believe) that as long as you live a good life, are a good person etc.. then you would go to heaven.

One of my big problems with religion is that there are so many "major" ones, each with a different belief system and concept of God, the afterlife, etc., that how do you know whose is right? [/b][/quote]I think we know which one isn't right; the one that says if you crash a plane into a building you get to live happily ever after with a bunch of virgins.

The religion that's right is the one that you follow. Key word being "follow". Some people subscribe to the ala carte religion. They pick the things in the religion that fit them. For it to work (getting to heaven), it's got to be the other way around.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Religion #111755
05/22/05 08:12 AM
05/22/05 08:12 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
One of my big problems with religion is that there are so many "major" ones, each with a different belief system and concept of God, the afterlife, etc., that how do you know whose is right?
Who has hijacked Plaw's account?! :p To be extremely cautious I suggest you to follow all three major religions. They have three different days of worship so it wouldn't overlap. Be a Muslim on Fridays, a Jewish on Saturdays and a Christian on Sundays. Guaranteed to be admitted to heaven!

Seriously though, all extremists of different religions believe unless you go by their religion you'd go to hell. I don't agree. Heaven and Hell is what you do and the choices you make in the way of your life.

This topic has diverted from the original question. Do you believe in afterlife and if you do, do animals have also one? It is pretty interesting if we stick to the argument.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Religion #111756
05/22/05 02:00 PM
05/22/05 02:00 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] I've had other people who have said (which is what I believe) that as long as you live a good life, are a good person etc.. then you would go to heaven.

One of my big problems with religion is that there are so many "major" ones, each with a different belief system and concept of God, the afterlife, etc., that how do you know whose is right? [/b][/quote]I don't think it has to do with whos is right I think every religion has the same "core values" *except Islam extremism* none of them would say its okay to kill an INNOCENT person or steal etc. So as long as you follow your religion then you are a good person and God would accept you.

But in all reality we will never know. Any Holy Book can be picked apart and have passages that say anything from everyone goes to heaven to everyone goes to hell, humans will never really know.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Religion #111757
05/22/05 08:52 PM
05/22/05 08:52 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
There are many similarites between Christians, Jews and Muslims. They all believe in the Old Testament. They all believe in Angels. They even all believe in Saint Michael the Arch Angel. Jews and Muslims both believe that Jesus Christ was a Prophet while Christians believe that he is God. very interesting I thought.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Religion #111758
05/22/05 09:42 PM
05/22/05 09:42 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Wow, I actually have time to post more than 3 lines :p

I was raised Catholic, was forced to go to CCD every Tuesday, all that stuff. However, I never really "believed" in Jesus. A few years ago I was told that it meant I was Jewish, I looked into Judaism, and I tend to agree with a lot of it, so I'm in the process of converting. Definately not orthadox though, still gotta eat my shrimp
Heaven and Hell- It really depends. I dont necessarily believe that people are going to burn in "hell" forever or what have you. If (and a big if) there is an afterlife, the "bad" people will just cease to exist, while the rest of us have fun. Heaven, Its really had for me to discribe it. There is no way that one place can furfill(sp) everyone's vision and make everyone happy.So I would imagine that everyone's heaven would be diffrent. However, I've been somewhat doubting an afterlife lately.Another though about Heaven I've had is that its all an illusion Again hard to describe exactly what I mean by that.
As for an "animal heaven"- Absolutely not. I'm sorry but religion is purely a human concept, same as reasoning. Dogs do not sit around contemplating the mysteries of the afterlife.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Religion #111759
05/23/05 04:36 AM
05/23/05 04:36 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Yes, there is an afterlife for animals too. They are part of the creation and since God breathed into everything his divine breath, they sort of share our immortal soul. Plus, I can't even image a perfect happiness (the one you are suppose to enjoy in Heaven) without my pets' company. I expect to find them waiting for me there when I die.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull