GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 91 of 91 1 2 89 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1087573
04/11/24 09:43 PM
04/11/24 09:43 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CIVIL WAR

America's at war with itself, the union against the Western Forces (made up of Texas and California). The reasoning for this highly unlikely alliance is to not single out any one party as well as show what we're capable of once we put our differences aside. The story follows 4 journalists: Lee (Kirsten Dunst), Joel (Wagner Moura), Jessie (Cailee Spaeny), and Sammy (Stephen McKinley Henderson) on their way to Washington D.C. (well, technically 3 as Sammy is only hitching a ride on his way to Charlottesville to see the fighting on the front lines). Joel wants to interview the President upon his arrival while Lee is a seasoned wartime photographer who takes young Jessie under her wing as Lee is someone whom he looks up to and aspires to be. Surprisingly, I was a little bored with the film. Jessie's character arc held my interest the most, followed by Lee, who was the team leader throughout. Some scenes are built for shock value which had very little effect on me. I'll again give the film credit as while it's dealing with a sensitive issue during these overly sensitive times, it doesn't take sides. The story focuses on us as Americans, not which party we affiliate with, which is effective in that regard as we're obviously stronger together than divided. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1088160
04/18/24 02:15 PM
04/18/24 02:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
JOHNNY GUITAR (1954)

Leonard Maltin calls this "the kinky Western" and he's not wrong. Tough cookie Vienna (Joan Crawford) runs a saloon/gambling den on the outskirts of a town that's about to get a railroad station that'll bring her lots of business. She hires Johnny Guitar (Sterling Hayden), a former lover and a retired gunslinger, to entertain. But the local cattle baron, McIver (Ward Bond) shows up with the sheriff and a mob, demanding that she clear out in 24 hours. Vienna backs them off with her trusty six-shooter, but hell-in-skirts Emma (Mercedes McCambridge) puts the spine back in the mob--seems she and Vienna once were rivals for the Dancin' Kid (Scott Brady), leader of a desperado gang. All leads to a war, a fire, plenty of shooting, and a showdown between the two women, who are a sight to behold--they make the men look like wimps. Crawford is excellent--strangely decked out in black shirt and pants, but with those flashing eyes and perfect diction. McCambridge is a tornado of energetic hate (she and Crawford had a real feud on the set). Hayden is subtly restrained and humorous. Cast includes John Carradine and Ernest Borgnine, and a pack of familiar Western faces. Director Nicholas Ray brings all this bizarre stuff together in the first feminist Western. Fascinating.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1088281
04/19/24 07:14 PM
04/19/24 07:14 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE

Based upon the true story of the first, and what later became known as Black Ops missions, a group of 7 (primarily British with a Swed added) attempt to sink Nazi U-boats in Nazi controlled waters in an effort to allow resources to enter Great Britain via the Atlantic Ocean. Henry Cavill stars as the teams leader Gus March-Phillips, who rumor has it was an inspiration for the James Bond character that Ian Fleming would write soon after (Fleming is actually a real character is this film BTW). Cavill comes across as much more looney and unhinged in the trailer but those are only passing moments throughout the film. He's much more polished than what's advertised. And while I have nothing against the cast as they were all enjoyable, I am going to call out both the casting director as well as director Guy Ritchie. This film is based on true events and pictures of the real life people whom these actors are playing are featured during the closing credits. As such, I find it to be a great disservice to them, their memory, and their families that some have been DEI-washed in order to gain brownie points within a small sector of society. If this story wasn't based on real events I wouldn't have such an issue with it. But again, for the fact it's based upon real people and their real experiences, it's shameful. If the shoe were on the other foot where white actors were taking minority roles, people would be yelling "whitewashing." Well, allow me to hold them to the same standard. I like Guy Ritchie and even though some of his latest efforts have been a little more uneven in terms of quality (this being boringly average), he should have known better and done a better job at preserving the memory of these individuals who risked capture by the British and torture and death by the Nazis. Be better Guy Ritchie! 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1088370
04/20/24 09:38 PM
04/20/24 09:38 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL

Halloween Night, 1977, New York City: late night host Jack Delroy (David Dastmalchian) invites a sordid group of guests onto the show in order to boost his sinking ratings. The featured guests are a psychic, a skeptical former magician, a parapsychologist author and her subject. The film plays out as an unearthed, original recording of the show, with the commercial breaks taking the audience backstage to see what transpired during breaks. I was rather impressed with Dastmalchian as he's usually a supporting actor but really finds his stride as the likeable host who's doing battle with Johnny Carson for viewership. In addition, he's recently experienced tragedy himself, having lost his wife and this show seems to be the last thing keeping him going. I hope he continues to find leading work as again, he's impressive in this. Also, this was my first introduction to Carmichael Haig who hams it up as the skeptical former magician, critiquing all of the guests gifts as nothing more than mere parlor tricks, the consummate cynic. He's enjoyable with his over-the-top, know-it-all attitude. I had heard good things about this and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I've never liked anything put out by Shudder but this is easily the best they've released IMO. 6.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089702
05/10/24 02:07 PM
05/10/24 02:07 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CHALLENGERS

From Italian director Luca Guadagnino comes the story of a love triangle between 3 tennis proteges: Tashi Duncan (Zendaya), and best friends Art Donaldson (Mike Faist), and Patrick Zweig (Josh O'Connor). The story bounces back-and-forth between the present and the past, opening with Art married and sharing a child with Tashi, coming back from an injury but who's career is skating on thin ice. In order to boast his confidence, he agrees to play in a challenger event against inferior opponents. Patrick, having never made an impact in the sport and broke, needs to money while hoping he can still win and get a spot on the tour. Naturally they play each other in the finals and their interconnected story involving themselves and Tashi unfolds. The film starts out well with an intriguing setup and a little faux tennis to keep the audience awake; although by the end, its time has definitely expired and should have known when to throw in the towel. The cast was average, with no one really standing out much except Zendaya who is the biggest name on the poster and out of the three gave the best performance. In addition, Guadagnino, unwisely, choose a few times to have a camera act as a tennis ball while Art and Patrick play. I don't get motion sickness but I could easily see how others could while watching this unnecessary setup. The film had potential but ultimately lost it 2/3 of the way in. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089706
05/10/24 02:19 PM
05/10/24 02:19 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
TAROT

7 friends from Massachusetts rent an Airbnb in New York to celebrate one of their owns birthday. Once out of alcohol, the group decides to snoop around the mansion in order to find more; however, they come across old relics/obscure objects in the bowels of the basement (one of them happening to be a deck of tarot cards). Luckily for the audiences sake, group member Haley (Harriet Slater) previously taught herself how to read tarot cards and is pressured by the rest of the group into reading each of their futures. But an unwritten rule with tarot is to never use a deck that doesn't belong to you. The group brushes it off as superstition and has their fortunes read anyway. Once back in Massachusetts, group members begin dying in the same manner their fortunes were told. I took a flyer on this as the trailer looked decent enough to give it a shot and the film was mid. A PG-13 rating and plenty of DEI on display, I'm sure the studio and crew were hoping for a younger audience and they just didn't show. While not a lot of marketing was put behind this in order to keep the bottom line low, the film plays just as it is: a fantasy story. No emotional investment from the audience, a couple of jump scares, and while an original story idea, one that couldn't sustain the full 92 minute runtime. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089709
05/10/24 02:29 PM
05/10/24 02:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE FALL GUY

A love letter from director and former stunt performer David Leitch, gives us Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling), a stunt guy who's on the top of his game when the film opens but soon suffers a devastating back injury that nearly costs him his life. In turn, he walks away from his career and his girlfriend Jody (Emily Blunt) to remain in obscurity while he works as a valet at a Mexican restaurant in LA. He's given a call by the same producer who worked with him on the film in which he sustained his injury. The film's current stunt man has gone missing and they need him to fill in for him (he's also lured by the fact he's told Jody has personally requested him to fill in). He soon fly's to Australia to fill in as well as (hopefully) rekindle things with Jody. A lot of action and humor packed in here and I'm surprised it hasn't made more noise at the box office. It's not a classic film and may even be forgotten soon but it's still a fun time and with talent like Gosling and Blunt who've proven to hold their own at the box office, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed this hasn't been appreciated more. However, for all the men and women who take the bumps and make the stars look like a million bucks, I'm happy they finally got their time in the sun. 6.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089715
05/10/24 03:05 PM
05/10/24 03:05 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Great review Irish! Emily Blunt is my all-time favorite actress

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089732
05/10/24 04:58 PM
05/10/24 04:58 PM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
I'm going to give Kingdom a shot this Tuesday in IMAX. It's beautifully filmed, so at the very least, I'll enjoy the scenery. (Senior Disc Price is $11.37)

To prepare to enjoy The Kingdom, I watched a film about humans interacting with compassionate, and violent apes...
The Legend of Tarzan

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giacalone] #1089834
05/12/24 12:21 PM
05/12/24 12:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Giacalone
Great review Irish! Emily Blunt is my all-time favorite actress

Thanks Gia. Did you see it yet?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1089940
05/12/24 11:18 PM
05/12/24 11:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
ROAD HOUSE (1951)

Joe Peters (Charles McGraw, Eternal Tough Guy with Brains) is a hard-boiled but honest insurance detective who's conned at an airport by Diane Morley (Joan Dixon), an equally hard-boiled but conniving kept woman. She''s the mistress of Kendall Webb (Lowell Gilmore), a smooth-talking racketeer, and she tells Peters he'll always be a small-timer unless he gets richer and less virtuous. Peters falls hard for her, eventually scheming with Webb to pull of a major heist which, predictably, goes bad. This trim little (73 minutes) movie has all the elements of a good film noir--taut dialog, interesting twists, excellent photography on urban streets, credible acting. Very good!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089975
05/13/24 09:34 PM
05/13/24 09:34 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
ABIGAIL

A 6 person crew of criminals who don't know each other and in need of money, decide to take on a kidnapping job. Once they have the child, they only need to wait out a 24-hour period before they split $50 million between them. The only issue is, the young teenage ballerina is actually Dracula's daughter. Directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett (READY OR NOT, SCREAM, and SCREAM VI) bring another fun horror adventure to the big screen. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this but it turned out to be a more enjoyable ride than I expected. I'm not sure it'll have the same effect upon repeat viewings but I had a good time with it at least once. The cast is wisely chosen as everyone of these characters would stand out in other films but putting them together was a lighting in a bottle. Quite a bit of humor throughout to aid in the digestion of the story. Better than expected. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1089976
05/13/24 09:48 PM
05/13/24 09:48 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
IMAGINARY

Children's author Jessica (DeWanda Wise) moves back into her childhood home with her husband Max (Tom Payne) and his two daughters: Taylor (Taegen Burns) and Alice (Pyper Braun). Upon arriving Alice finds a bear named Chauncey, who soon becomes her best friend. However, Jessica soon suspects the bear is actually more dangerous to Alice than good. Another Blumhouse flop here and this was painful to sit through. The story crawls at a snails pace to unfold and the story (particularly by the third act) is rather out there. With a PG-13 rating, it's watered down for a bigger audience that never showed. The only credit I can give here is towards young Pyper Braun who put together an enjoyable performance for such a young actress at only 10-years-old. Outside of that, I cannot recommend this enough to avoid this snooze fest. Blumhouse better go back to the drawing board because the films they've been putting out as of late just are not working on so many levels. 4/10

Page 91 of 91 1 2 89 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull