GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, 3 invisible), 366 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,850
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,407
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) #625764
12/19/11 09:29 PM
12/19/11 09:29 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

The first trailer comes out this Thursday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHAm9LUDpA

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #626203
12/23/11 03:20 AM
12/23/11 03:20 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #632452
01/30/12 09:00 PM
01/30/12 09:00 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
...so wait, is it Ridley Scott?

EDIT: Yep.

TAKEN FROM WIKIPEDIA:
Conceived as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien, script rewrites developed the film into a separate story unconnected to the films of the Alien franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", Prometheus will explore its own mythology and universe and is not directly linked to Alien.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)

With Aussie actor Guy Pearce, Michael Fassbender (who was GREAT as IRA martyr Bobby Sands in Hunger), Charlize Theron and Idris "Stringer Bell" Elba. Looks pretty damn good.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 01/30/12 09:05 PM.

(cough.)
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #638690
03/07/12 08:41 AM
03/07/12 08:41 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #649262
05/31/12 09:53 AM
05/31/12 09:53 AM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Just saw the movie. Without giving any spoilers: loved it. If you like this kinda movie, go see it. Scott's in great form. And all this bull that Ridley sold us about the movie only having "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak": IMO, it's a full blown prequel to Alien.

Last edited by Chopper2012; 05/31/12 10:04 AM.
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: Chopper2012] #650103
06/05/12 03:28 PM
06/05/12 03:28 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Chopper2012
IMO, it's a full blown prequel to Alien.

That's good to hear chops. Going to see it pretty soon.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: Chopper2012] #650144
06/05/12 07:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Chopper2012
Just saw the movie. Without giving any spoilers: loved it. If you like this kinda movie, go see it. Scott's in great form. And all this bull that Ridley sold us about the movie only having "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak": IMO, it's a full blown prequel to Alien.

I suppose because they wanted to market this on its own merits and not just as another ALIEN sequel/prequel/whatever. Which is of course nonsense, but whatever.

Twice, two seperate occassions when that trailer played at theatres, I heard people in the backseats murmuring "looks like ALIEN" and "looks like an ALIEN rip-off."

I hope it's good.

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #650145
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I plan to see it.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #650315
06/07/12 04:44 AM
06/07/12 04:44 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651217
06/12/12 08:58 PM
06/12/12 08:58 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Saw it today. Left as many questions as it answered. But incredible production design and special effects. Could be argued to be a prequel, as well as set up for another movie, despite Scott saying it could be a "stand alone" film. Don't really see the point in that since the rest of the series is what gives it it's context. 3/4 stars.

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651267
06/13/12 03:23 AM
06/13/12 03:23 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Color me disapointed.

It's strange to say that for a movie that ultimately left a bad taste in my mouth, I actually was enjoying it for about 2/3rds of it. From reading alot of the mixed reviews (and even the mixed positive reviews), I was watching PROMETHEUS and wondering why the heavy backlash? It was something we unfortunately don't get from Hollywood, a "hard" science fiction movie and a decently engaging one at that.

The cast was good, I was intrigued by both the extra-terrestrial mystery afoot and Michael Fassbender's character. I dug those flying scout spheres maping out caverns and that automatic surgery pod. The enigmatic opening set the mood. Hell I even liked that we have a nice rarity at the movies: a religious scientist without her once having to choose between the two, a childish tendency that Hollywood and right-wing culture usually demand. (Newton & Darwin would like her.)

Click to reveal..
Plus it gives excuse for that one fucked up sequence when she more or less "aborts" an alien parasite fetus. Sounds like an idea Scott had earlier from ALIEN and finally got to use it.

But honestly I don't think she's overall that interesting enough of a character (or Rapace was the wrong actress) to focus your movie around. If anything I wondered why Fassbender's android wasn't the protagonist. I mean it's obvious from the start he's complex and fascinating, both a willing curious servant to his "creators" (who are off to find their own ironically) and pissed that he's seen by the crew at best a pet, at worst a walking talking toaster oven. When Rapace was onscreen, I kept wanting to go back to Fassbender.

But otherwise, this was good chugging along. So I'm thinking maybe the Internet is pissed because they hyped it up to Mars, and got pissed that it only reached the Moon, i.e. it's not as good as ALIEN. I mean surely that's the problem because they're infamous for such expectations gaming bullshit. (That's a recent phenomenon I really hate: movies/TV shows having pre-established online fanbases before the damn thing is even released. I mean I get STAR WARS having a rabid fanbase because at least those geeks have seen it.)

Then the 3rd act happens, and I now perfectly understand now why alot of folks got pissed. Sloppy and arbitrary, neither which would describe the movie up to that point. A late plot twist that given any slight reflection just comes off as dumb, and really I don't want to spoil things but more or less becomes a mindless uninspired dull man-in-suit monster movie that I couldn't care less about. (The same sensation I felt when rewatching ALIEN RESURRECTION the other week.)

Ever felt like you defended your kid on charges from everybody else of being a bully, only for the little bastard to reward you with a swift kick to the balls? The movie makes me feel like an asshole for enjoying it in the first place.

I know it's unfair to compare this with a classic like ALIEN but I must for making this point. ALIEN in plot was those trashy low budget drive-in creature features (it even originally was scripted as one) but Ridley Scott brought sophistication, style, and big budget FX into what was traditionally an unrespectable B movie field and turned it into respectable (and entertaining) high art. Spielberg and Lucas were doing similar things around the same time.

PROMETHEUS (3rd act at least) really comes off like those endless ALIEN knock-offs we've gotten over the decades where they too have the big budgets and good casts and great FX, but still as dumb and "cheap" (in storytelling) as those B creature features. I mean ALIEN told a very simple story in an intelligent and captivating fashion where you're shown (not told) little details that soon add up for viewers on their own. Even when ALIEN's own unforeshadowed surprise twist happens, one that's technically arbitrary, it never felt arbitrary.

PROMETHEUS followed this route initially, then it went slacker in class and cheated and you want to take a ruler and whack their knuckles repeatedly like straight out of BLUES BROTHERS. Not out of malice, but out of love.

This is the angriest *** rating I've given in a dog's age.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 06/13/12 03:25 AM.
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651269
06/13/12 04:10 AM
06/13/12 04:10 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Revised review...

I don't know, maybe I need to see it again to "absorb" it all, but right now I'm thinking I would give Prometheus 2 1/2 stars. It had incredible production design and great special effects. But, as usual, that was about all you could say. Fassbender did a fine job, as always, but I'm not sure there was a well written or cohesive story there. The movie was over two hours but I'm not sure it really went anywhere.

** 1/2

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651448
06/14/12 02:46 AM
06/14/12 02:46 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
IVL - I'm afraid it's one of those movies that the more you think about it, the more it fades. At least that's the situation with me. Yet some folks, whether Ebert or Bret Easton Ellis or David Poland or whoever I usually like to read their opinions on shit seemed to get much more out of PROMETHEUS than I did. *shrugs*

But the Internet is being brutal.

Galactic Goofs: The 10 Stupidest Crew Mistakes in ā€˜Prometheusā€™

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/prometheus-mistakes-rfure.php

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #651449
06/14/12 03:20 AM
06/14/12 03:20 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
IVL - I'm afraid it's one of those movies that the more you think about it, the more it fades. At least that's the situation with me. Yet some folks, whether Ebert or Bret Easton Ellis or David Poland or whoever I usually like to read their opinions on shit seemed to get much more out of PROMETHEUS than I did. *shrugs*

But the Internet is being brutal.

Galactic Goofs: The 10 Stupidest Crew Mistakes in ā€˜Prometheusā€™

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/prometheus-mistakes-rfure.php

I agree with the fading comment. Especially when put up against Alien and Aliens, which have stood the test of time.

I do think too much credit or blame falls on a director. I always look at the writer(s) of a movie as well, who often get overlooked despite being such a big part of it all. Though I suppose one could blame Scott for taking on this project with the problems in the script. And more problems stand out after reading that rundown. confused

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651652
06/15/12 05:16 PM
06/15/12 05:16 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #651679
06/15/12 10:21 PM
06/15/12 10:21 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

I do think too much credit or blame falls on a director. I always look at the writer(s) of a movie as well, who often get overlooked despite being such a big part of it all. Though I suppose one could blame Scott for taking on this project with the problems in the script. And more problems stand out after reading that rundown. confused

I'll repeat what a buddy e-mailed me: "You know how people say good movies age like wine? This aged like milk." lol

Usually directors get too much credit when things go right. When they don't, they get too much blame.

I think the only saving grave Scott has is that he claims he cut off 30 minutes off for the theatrical edit. I'm pretty sure that lost half-hour can save the movie for me, but again this was the guy behind BLADE RUNNER. That went from hated flop to classic after his original version was released.

Another example was KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, a movie I saw in theatres and sorta hated. Reluctant for years to watch his DC of that one because life's too short. But then I saw it, and that was a very good movie with moments of true greatness.

So maybe he'll do it again? But this comes to mind that story about THE GODFATHER when Robert Evans and Paramount tried to get Coppola to cut that movie and cut cut cut because 3 hours was way too long for theatres. Only ultimately for everybody in the room realize that they were needlessly gutting the picture and just let out Coppola's cut.

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #651710
06/16/12 10:25 AM
06/16/12 10:25 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I think the only saving grave Scott has is that he claims he cut off 30 minutes off for the theatrical edit. I'm pretty sure that lost half-hour can save the movie for me, but again this was the guy behind BLADE RUNNER. That went from hated flop to classic after his original version was released.

Another example was KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, a movie I saw in theatres and sorta hated. Reluctant for years to watch his DC of that one because life's too short. But then I saw it, and that was a very good movie with moments of true greatness.

So maybe he'll do it again? But this comes to mind that story about THE GODFATHER when Robert Evans and Paramount tried to get Coppola to cut that movie and cut cut cut because 3 hours was way too long for theatres. Only ultimately for everybody in the room realize that they were needlessly gutting the picture and just let out Coppola's cut.

Usually Scott's theatrical release is also his DC. Examples are Gladiator and Alien.

Scott explicitly says at the start of Gladiator that the extended cut is not his DC, as that was the theatrical cut. With Alien he has stated the same.

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: Sonny_Black] #651794
06/17/12 12:38 AM
06/17/12 12:38 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Usually Scott's theatrical release is also his DC. Examples are Gladiator and Alien.

Scott explicitly says at the start of Gladiator that the extended cut is not his DC, as that was the theatrical cut. With Alien he has stated the same.

True.

Man that ALIEN "Director's Cut," when Scott explicitly said it wasn't his prefered cut...how does that work outside of shameless congaming the audience?

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #653043
06/24/12 11:26 PM
06/24/12 11:26 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
I saw Prometheus a week ago. I enjoyed it, probably the most interesting Sci-fi flick i've seen lately (since District 9). The David character was the most interesting, in my opinion. Everytime he came on screen, every smile he gave, it just creeped me out. The self abortion scene was well done, and had me holding my breath. Were the characters a bit weak? Yes! Charlize Theron's character, while nice to look at, almost served no purpose. And Idris Elba, whom i enjoy watching on The Wire (i've just gotten into it), seemed to just play the token black guy. Still, i enjoyed it. I'm still trying to figure out how this ISN'T some sort of prequal or tie-in to Alien. If they make a sequal, i can see how that could break away from the Alien series though.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: mr. soprano] #653050
06/25/12 12:50 AM
06/25/12 12:50 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline OP
IvyLeague  Offline OP
I

Originally Posted By: mr. soprano
I saw Prometheus a week ago. I enjoyed it, probably the most interesting Sci-fi flick i've seen lately (since District 9). The David character was the most interesting, in my opinion. Everytime he came on screen, every smile he gave, it just creeped me out. The self abortion scene was well done, and had me holding my breath. Were the characters a bit weak? Yes! Charlize Theron's character, while nice to look at, almost served no purpose. And Idris Elba, whom i enjoy watching on The Wire (i've just gotten into it), seemed to just play the token black guy. Still, i enjoyed it. I'm still trying to figure out how this ISN'T some sort of prequal or tie-in to Alien. If they make a sequal, i can see how that could break away from the Alien series though.

It certainly could be seen as a prequel to Alien, at least indirectly. But I remember Ridley Scott saying something about wanting it to be able to stand on it's own too.

Re: Prometheus (Alien prequel....kind of) [Re: IvyLeague] #655202
07/12/12 03:03 PM
07/12/12 03:03 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I found this film to be enjoyable, but also slightly disappointing.

Re: Alien [Re: IvyLeague] #1069162
09/14/23 08:38 PM
09/14/23 08:38 PM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Alien [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1069208
09/15/23 01:48 PM
09/15/23 01:48 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by U talkin' da me ??

My favorite sci-fi movie by far. It also might be the greatest horror movie ever made

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Alien [Re: Giacalone] #1069337
09/17/23 02:17 PM
09/17/23 02:17 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacalone

My favorite sci-fi movie by far. It also might be the greatest horror movie ever made

No doubt my favorite sc-fi. I think I'm gonna watch it again tonight. Been way too long.

Re: Alien [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1069342
09/17/23 03:45 PM
09/17/23 03:45 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

No doubt my favorite sc-fi. I think I'm gonna watch it again tonight. Been way too long.

Best part: when Sigorney gets in that suit in her panties....pause button back in 85...love her..seriously though.. good movie.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Alien [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1069364
09/17/23 04:53 PM
09/17/23 04:53 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss

It amazes me how great that movie is after all these years. To me, it's almost better today than it was when I first saw it. Truly a timeless masterpiece. It was Ridley's second movie and he's made many good ones, but he's never topped Alien if you ask me. And I loved Blade Runner!

Re: Alien [Re: hoodlum] #1069365
09/17/23 04:57 PM
09/17/23 04:57 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by hoodlum

Best part: when Sigorney gets in that suit in her panties....pause button back in 85...love her..seriously though.. good movie.

Sigourney Weaver is the original female action hero

Re: Alien [Re: IvyLeague] #1069395
09/17/23 06:42 PM
09/17/23 06:42 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Ridley Scott is already 85 damn one of the all time great directors.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull