GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Big_Tuna93, m2w), 217 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,051
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 86 of 91 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1063790
07/14/23 08:39 PM
07/14/23 08:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by DuesPaid
Originally Posted by Irishman12
FLAMIN' HOT

The true life story of Richard Montañez (Jesse Garcia), who works as a janitor at Frito Lays and whose entrepreneurial spirit inspires the inclusion (and explosion) of the Latino market.The story is inspirational but yet can't help itself to exclude the racist environment Richard was living in at the time. So while all white men are bad, they still gave him his shot and transformed his entire life. Average performances from all involved, this is a straight forward (and somewhat wanna-be gangster) film. Although at the end of the day, as the old saying goes, it's good to see the cream rise to the top. 5.5/10

We scored this a bit higher, a real feel good flick amd yes, it is refreshing to see the cream rise to the top.

What would you and the Mrs. score it DP?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1063791
07/14/23 08:40 PM
07/14/23 08:40 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
NO HARD FEELINGS

Maddie Barker (Jennifer Lawrence) agrees to date 19-year-old Percy Becker (Andrew Barth Feldman) before he heads off to college. Maddie, in need of a car after hers was impounded, takes Percy's parents up on their Craigslist ad which promised a car in exchange for dating their son and getting him out of his shell before he heads off to Princeton. What insures for the rest of the film is plenty of Maddie throwing herself at Percy, who's too sheltered to notice and at other times, too shy to respond. Lawrence and Feldman play well together with Maddie being the older, more mature, and experienced, trying to get Percy into bed. I give a tip of the hat to Feldman as he plays the socially awkward teenage quite well. Fortunately, there's laughs to go around as this isn't a movie where all of the funny parts are in the trailer and there's nothing left once your inside of the theater. Not worth venturing out to the theaters to see but you could find worse ways to spend 103 minutes once it's available to stream. 6/10

We are gunna give this one a view.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1063792
07/14/23 08:42 PM
07/14/23 08:42 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
SANCTUARY

Christopher Abbott (Hal) engages in and attempts to end a dominatrix/submissive relationship with Rebecca (Margaret Qualley). Hal's father, who was the head of a $185 million dollar hotel empire, recently dies and leaves the business in Hal's hands. However, after a final session with his mistress, Hal can't break free from Rebecca's string of lies. A decent enough film that allows both characters to express their own individual desires, even if at times, they are completely making them up in order to serve their own purposes. Nothing out of the ordinary here but keep your eyes on Rebecca as she has more to lose than Hal. 6/10

Thank i
We are going to check this one out also but plan on passing on the blackening

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1063929
07/16/23 01:43 PM
07/16/23 01:43 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

@Irishman

Will you go to Oppenheimer? Looking forward to that one!

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #1063954
07/16/23 05:17 PM
07/16/23 05:17 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Hollander
@Irishman

Will you go to Oppenheimer? Looking forward to that one!

Yes sir, seeing that on Thursday and BARBIE on Friday. Still haven't caught INDIANA JONES, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, or COBWEBS yet but I plan to this weekend. Was on vacation for a few weeks and didn't see anything so I'm playing catch up now.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064020
07/16/23 09:09 PM
07/16/23 09:09 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

NIce amigo enjoy them.

Cillian Murphy is one of my favorite actors. The cast went also on strike.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064021
07/16/23 09:44 PM
07/16/23 09:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thanks, I'll post my reviews after watching them.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064588
07/21/23 07:02 PM
07/21/23 07:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
OPPENHEIMER

A biography about the father of the atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimber (Cillian Murphy). The film is just as much about how the atomic bomb came to be but also the repercussions once it was released upon the world. Bouncing back-and-forth between timelines (color for present/past events and black-and-white for future events). The film boasts an impressive all-star cast with many established names (and some Oscar winners as well) who are at times mere bit players such as Oscar winners Rami Malek and Gary Oldman. This just proves the willingness in which actors want to collaborate with director Christopher Nolan. While the runtime clocks in at 3 hours on the nose, the story moves rapidly and never lets up. Nolan crams a lot into the film and does a good job telling his story and I didn't feel much, if anything, was left out. I will point out that Robert Downey Jr. was initially one of the bit players I described earlier as Lewis Strauss; however, towards the end of the film he's given a lot more screentime and really makes the most of it. Besides quite possibly Murphy's best performance, RDJ really shined in his limited screentime. Nolan's best picture in my opinion since 2012's THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. 7.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1064591
07/21/23 07:12 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

OPPENHEIMER

A biography about the father of the atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimber (Cillian Murphy). The film is just as much about how the atomic bomb came to be but also the repercussions once it was released upon the world. Bouncing back-and-forth between timelines (color for present/past events and black-and-white for future events). The film boasts an impressive all-star cast with many established names (and some Oscar winners as well) who are at times mere bit players such as Oscar winners Rami Malek and Gary Oldman. This just proves the willingness in which actors want to collaborate with director Christopher Nolan. While the runtime clocks in at 3 hours on the nose, the story moves rapidly and never lets up. Nolan crams a lot into the film and does a good job telling his story and I didn't feel much, if anything, was left out. I will point out that Robert Downey Jr. was initially one of the bit players I described earlier as Lewis Strauss; however, towards the end of the film he's given a lot more screentime and really makes the most of it. Besides quite possibly Murphy's best performance, RDJ really shined in his limited screentime. Nolan's best picture in my opinion since 2012's THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. 7.5/10

Thank you Irish, cast is amazing also big fan of Emily Blunt. I know you are pretty conservative with grades so I take a 7.5 as a top film.
3 hours was it not too long?

Last edited by Hollander; 07/21/23 07:14 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064592
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
COBWEB

Peter, an 8-year-old boy, begins hearing a knocking noise from within his bedroom walls at night. Terrified of what it could be and like any child would, he enlists the help of his parents Carol (Lizzy Caplan) & Mark (Antony Starr) only to be rebuffed that it's all in his head. After a while, the knock behind the wall begins talking to Peter, asking his assistance to get them out of where they are and in doing so, angering his parents who continuously tell him there's nothing there. Once Peter starts befriending the voice, he begins to wonder if his parents don't want to believe him in order to keep a dark secret from their past? The film starts out well enough like any spooky/ghost story would: set around Halloween, a creepy old house, wonderful decaying sets, etc. Visually the film kept my interest but the story moved along a little slowly, which is surprising being that it's only 88 minutes long. But, once it got to the third act and the payoff of what was behind his wall, it takes a HARD left turn that I was not prepared for. I'll give the film a lot of credit in being original and taking a risk, however, not all risks work and this is one of those instances. Peter's parents, Caplan & Starr, are the only worthy note I can write in this review about the film. Otherwise, the third act plays out like a trainwreck, one in which you're not even curious about viewing in order to see the carnage. Hard pass on this for anyone contemplating seeing it. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064594
07/21/23 07:26 PM
07/21/23 07:26 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE

Ethan Hunt and the gang are back at it again, this time in order to track down a key of which it unlocks, nobody knows as well as an AI program known as the entity. Of course, like any good spy movie the fate of the world hangs in the balance where failing is not an option for our heroes. A most respectable cast has been gathered for this entry besides regulars Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, and Simon Pegg newcomers Hayley Atwell, Vanessa Kirby, Esai Morales, Pom Klemeentieff, and Shea Whigham round out the roster. Another solid film for the franchise, although not as good as FALLOUT in my opinion and my reasoning is because I felt like they were holding back at times, building up this film to conclude with Part Two (whereas previous films went all out due to their individual film storytelling). Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of action and a fantastic train sequence that director Christopher McQuarrie personally wanted to put in. But the story and runtime feel a little bloated at times and I'm a bit nervous about the runtime of Part Two if they needed to take this much time to tell this part of the story. Esai Morales is wonderful as the baddie: cool, confident, and always has a devilish smile that says even if I don't get you right now, I will very soon. Atwell is also a great addition as she's a huge part of this story and the action seems to come naturally to her (probably didn't hurt playing in the MCU prior to this). This is the type of big budget, summer action movies audiences are used to and enjoy seeing on the big screen. 61-year-old Tom Cruise still has it. After last summer's behemoth TOP GUN: MAVERICK and now this, it proves he can still put asses in the seats. 7.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #1064596
07/21/23 07:29 PM
07/21/23 07:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Hollander
OPPENHEIMER

Thank you Irish, cast is amazing also big fan of Emily Blunt. I know you are pretty conservative with grades so I take a 7.5 as a top film.
3 hours was it not too long?

Not at all. Could it have been trimmed down a little? Sure, but it doesn't feel like 3 hours compared to others films that I've watched. Worth seeing if you're a fan of anyone in the cast or Nolan.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064660
07/22/23 10:51 AM
07/22/23 10:51 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HYPNOTIC

Ben Affleck plays Austin police detective Danny Rouke, a grieving father who's daughter went missing 4 years prior. He attempts to capture Lev Dellrayne (William Fichtner) a hypnotic who can influence people to carry out his wishes within seconds of making eye contact with them. A hypnotic differs from telepathy in that telepathy deals with individuals who can only control someones mind while hypnotics can control their mind and actions. This appears to be director Robert Rodriguez's attempt at a Christopher Nolan style INCEPTION, and although not exactly the same, the use of fake worlds and images gave me that feeling throughout. The film also gives off a minimum wage or bare bones vibe although I'm sure with Affleck's salary alone that's not the case. A few RR easter eggs make their way on screen (such as the name of the BBQ restaurant as well as frequent Rodriguez collaborator Jeff Fahey). Unfortunately, the film attempts to be smarter than it is and isn't executed well in its delivery. I wasn't invested much in the characters and as such, the payoffs in the third act didn't have the same effect on me I'm sure Rodriguez was hoping they would. I still like Rodriguez as a director and his work and I'll continue to see future projects until I'm proven wrong. This project was unfortunately a miss for him and everyone involved. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1064674
07/22/23 04:44 PM
07/22/23 04:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
BARBIE

A live-action film based upon the iconic doll, Margot Robbie stars as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken. The film opens with Barbie living her best life, until one day she notices changes going on with her: she becomes flat-footed, begins to think about death, experiences anxiety and the like. In order to correct the problem, she leaves Barbieland for the real world. Ken tags along, exposing them to the complete opposite of Barbieland where men have the power and not women. The acting was fine with Robbie and Gosling being great choices for starring and the set designs deserve a shout out as well. My main issue with the film was the heavy handedness and overly preachy tone from writer/director Greta Gerwig and writer Noah Baumbach. They said the quiet part out loud as this is completely a sexist and misandrist film. They must have set a record for the amount of times the word patriarch was used in a single film. Each actor must have had a quota to say it so many times the film should have been called BARBIE: ATTACK OF THE PATRIARCHY. Men are portrayed as bumbling idiots who only desire power and need the attention of women in order to survive. I thought Hollywood had gone "all inclusive" the last few years but Greta, WarnerBros and company must have missed that memo as this is anything but inclusive. The story is weak because Greta and Noah choose to pick and feast on long hanging fruit, revealing the limitations of their craft. Be better! 4/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1064989
07/27/23 02:49 AM
07/27/23 02:49 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
The Extraordinary End to the Nazi Nuclear Program - Finding Heisenberg

Gen. Groves put together a Task Force known as the ALSOS Mission.

Lt. Col. Boris Pash was appointed to lead the task force as they searched in occupied Europe for Nuclear sites and Nuclear scientists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvCYrHnJAc

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1065078
07/27/23 07:45 PM
07/27/23 07:45 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
BARBIE

A live-action film based upon the iconic doll, Margot Robbie stars as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken. The film opens with Barbie living her best life, until one day she notices changes going on with her: she becomes flat-footed, begins to think about death, experiences anxiety and the like. In order to correct the problem, she leaves Barbieland for the real world. Ken tags along, exposing them to the complete opposite of Barbieland where men have the power and not women. The acting was fine with Robbie and Gosling being great choices for starring and the set designs deserve a shout out as well. My main issue with the film was the heavy handedness and overly preachy tone from writer/director Greta Gerwig and writer Noah Baumbach. They said the quiet part out loud as this is completely a sexist and misandrist film. They must have set a record for the amount of times the word patriarch was used in a single film. Each actor must have had a quota to say it so many times the film should have been called BARBIE: ATTACK OF THE PATRIARCHY. Men are portrayed as bumbling idiots who only desire power and need the attention of women in order to survive. I thought Hollywood had gone "all inclusive" the last few years but Greta, WarnerBros and company must have missed that memo as this is anything but inclusive. The story is weak because Greta and Noah choose to pick and feast on long hanging fruit, revealing the limitations of their craft. Be better! 4/10

Now I have to see this fucking movie hahahah. Great review btw

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065149
07/28/23 06:54 PM
07/28/23 06:54 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
BEAU IS AFRAID

Writer/Director Ari Aster's first foray outside of horror involves Beau (Joaquin Phoenix) a man who suffers from anxiety, learns about the sudden passing of his mother. He must then make the long journey in order to bury her as her dying wish was for her not to be buried until Beau was present. A mildly funny film with some dark bits to it. Phoenix, in his first major role since winning his Oscar, is once again absolutely terrific as Beau. His presence and Asters are what got me to sit through this 3 hour journey and I'm glad that I did. It's something different, something original that was enjoyable up until the third act (which takes a decisively different approach to the story). This is the type of film that's better digested upon a second viewing. As much as I'd like to see Aster stick to horror (although I'm guessing he doesn't want to be typecast), I'm curious what he'll present to us next? 7/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065150
07/28/23 07:06 PM
07/28/23 07:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY

The latest installment (and final for Harrison Ford) involves his chase of Archimedes Dial of Destiny. The film wonderfully opens in 1944 Germany before the present day of 1969. I must applaud the de-aging technology as it rather added to the film rather than distracting or taking away from it. Ford wonderfully embraces the Indy character one final time. I must say I had my reservations about this after 2008's INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. But rest assured, this does the character justice that felt more of a hybrid between RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE LAST CRUSADE. James Mangold's efforts should be applauded as he slide into the directors chair marvelously (which are big shoes to fill after Steven Spielberg was responsible for the previous entries). Phoebe Waller-Bridge was likewise delightful as Indy's Goddaughter Helena. If online rumors are to be believed, she may take the franchise going forward and I'd be OK with that over Indy's son Mutt. This was probably the most appropriate way to send off such an iconic franchise. 7.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065243
07/29/23 04:58 PM
07/29/23 04:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE BEANIE BUBBLE

This film tells the story of the rise and fall of the beanie baby empire run by co-founder Ty Wagner (Zach Galifianakis). However, the story isn't just about him but the 3 women who helped shape the company into the behemoth it eventually became in co-founder Robbie (Elizabeth Banks), Ty's right hand assistant Maya (Geraldine Viswanathan), and Ty's fiance Sheila (Sarah Snook). Living through the 90's, I grew up with the beanie baby crazy but never did follow along about how the company crumbled. This provides an insightful behind-the-scenes story about that time involving these 4 characters. Terrific performances all around, although Galifianakis and Viswanathan make the movie even more special in my opinion. The story appears to show the collapse could have been avoided had Ty heeded Maya's always spot on advice about the future. But, when you're making $1 billion profit in a single year back in the 1990s, I suppose you start to believe your own hype. For anyone else who doesn't know the story of what happened or are just looking for a solid film, this is worth watching. 7/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1065261
07/29/23 07:35 PM
07/29/23 07:35 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY

The latest installment (and final for Harrison Ford) involves his chase of Archimedes Dial of Destiny. The film wonderfully opens in 1944 Germany before the present day of 1969. I must applaud the de-aging technology as it rather added to the film rather than distracting or taking away from it. Ford wonderfully embraces the Indy character one final time. I must say I had my reservations about this after 2008's INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. But rest assured, this does the character justice that felt more of a hybrid between RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE LAST CRUSADE. James Mangold's efforts should be applauded as he slide into the directors chair marvelously (which are big shoes to fill after Steven Spielberg was responsible for the previous entries). Phoebe Waller-Bridge was likewise delightful as Indy's Goddaughter Helena. If online rumors are to be believed, she may take the franchise going forward and I'd be OK with that over Indy's son Mutt. This was probably the most appropriate way to send off such an iconic franchise. 7.5/10

GREAT they deserve it ! I always loved Harrison big time actor !

Last edited by Hollander; 07/29/23 07:40 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065368
07/30/23 08:03 PM
07/30/23 08:03 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL

Set in Las Vegas, The Driver (Joel Kinnaman) heads to the hospital for his wife's birth (their second child). However, upon arriving at the hospital parking garage, he's held at gunpoint by The Passenger (Nicolas Cage). Keep in mind Kinnaman is not a taxi or Uber/Lyft driver. He's just a regular guy who is held hostage while Cage asks him to drive the hour to Boulder City. The story then takes a cat-and-mouse approach while the backstory slowly unfolds. Cage has been knocking it out of the park recently with his independent films but sadly, this is one of his few misses. The story is thin and doesn't do much to keep the audience engaged. Cage is his usual brilliant and eccentric self while Kinnaman finds himself a new a role. Typically the alpha male in any room due to his domineering physical features, he's relegated to a more humble, nervous, and quiet character so I applaud his range. But again, outside of the actor's performances, the film does little in terms of the story and the big reveal in the final act isn't really big at all but more of a meh reveal. As a Cage fan I sat through this but I warn others, while this isn't terrible, it's not that great either. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065757
08/03/23 06:24 AM
08/03/23 06:24 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Finally watched Cocaine Bear lol, and it's astonishingly ridiculous! Entertaining, but you'll only appreciate it if you accept its massive stupidity

6/10

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065828
08/03/23 08:37 PM
08/03/23 08:37 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE MEG 2: THE TRENCH

5 years after the release of the original, Jason Statham and company are back (with the notable exception of Suyin (Bingbing Li)). Similar to last time, the researchers are on a exploration below the thermocline, when they encounter not 1, not 2, but 3 Megalodons. They return to the surface through the thermocline, following our cast out. Once they're at the surface, all hell breaks loose. If you enjoyed the first film as I did, you'll enjoy this as well as the film holds up well as a worthy sequel. The second act in particular was my favorite. It all takes place in the trench with some beautiful visuals and the story really begins to pickup then. Overall, you know what you're signing up for and this is an enjoyable popcorn summer flick. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1065981
08/05/23 03:53 PM
08/05/23 03:53 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
THE MEG 2: THE TRENCH

5 years after the release of the original, Jason Statham and company are back (with the notable exception of Suyin (Bingbing Li)). Similar to last time, the researchers are on a exploration below the thermocline, when they encounter not 1, not 2, but 3 Megalodons. They return to the surface through the thermocline, following our cast out. Once they're at the surface, all hell breaks loose. If you enjoyed the first film as I did, you'll enjoy this as well as the film holds up well as a worthy sequel. The second act in particular was my favorite. It all takes place in the trench with some beautiful visuals and the story really begins to pickup then. Overall, you know what you're signing up for and this is an enjoyable popcorn summer flick. 6/10

Thank you for your review i12, just read it to the Wife. we hope to see it tomorrow

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1065987
08/05/23 04:59 PM
08/05/23 04:59 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Let me know what you think if you do DP

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1066113
08/06/23 07:29 PM
08/06/23 07:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
KANDAHAR

After blowing up a nuclear facility in Iran, CIA black op Tom Harris (Gerard Butler) and his translator Mohammad (Navid Negahban) must get to Kandahar, which is 400 miles from their current location, in order to be safely extracted to safety. Based upon the premise alone, you'd consider this film to have a lot of suspense and action but sadly, that is not the case. There are in fact action scenes but they are few and far in between. The story moves at a snails pace, picking up the action every so many pages of the script; which as an audience member, lends to my lack of interest going forward as this roller coaster ride unfortunately does little to hold my attention. All involved (including Butler) seem to drown in the weak script as nobody stands out as noteworthy. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1066119
08/06/23 09:19 PM
08/06/23 09:19 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

The band's back together for one final ride, this time in search of The High Evolutionary (Chukwudi Iwuji) who created Rocket in order to save Rocket's life. Vol. 3 follows the same formula we've grown accustomed to from director James Gunn & Marvel: sweet soundtrack, banter throughout, and a film with a lot of heart. This was a beautiful goodbye from Gunn and the cast to these characters and Marvel and it was very nicely executed. This is hands down the best Marvel release since 2021's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, but yet again I have to take issue with the runtime. Recently Marvel has been pushing the runtimes more and more with their releases but for my money they begin to overstay their welcome after the 2 hours and 10 to 2 hours and 15 minute mark (this comes in at 2 hours and 30 minutes even). Another grip I had with the film was the portrayal of Adam Warlock by Will Poulter. I very much enjoy the actor but his character comes off incredibly weak. Yes, he's incredibly powerful but the man behind those powers is a mama's boy and could have come off so much stronger (but that might be dipping into the "toxic masculinity" waters according to some). Overall, this is a very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and I'm curious what the future holds for any or all of these characters. 7/10

Loved this, did you happen to see the Holiday special they filed with this?
It was really funny and will be a regular watch, every year.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1066170
08/07/23 07:26 PM
08/07/23 07:26 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by DuesPaid
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

The band's back together for one final ride, this time in search of The High Evolutionary (Chukwudi Iwuji) who created Rocket in order to save Rocket's life. Vol. 3 follows the same formula we've grown accustomed to from director James Gunn & Marvel: sweet soundtrack, banter throughout, and a film with a lot of heart. This was a beautiful goodbye from Gunn and the cast to these characters and Marvel and it was very nicely executed. This is hands down the best Marvel release since 2021's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, but yet again I have to take issue with the runtime. Recently Marvel has been pushing the runtimes more and more with their releases but for my money they begin to overstay their welcome after the 2 hours and 10 to 2 hours and 15 minute mark (this comes in at 2 hours and 30 minutes even). Another grip I had with the film was the portrayal of Adam Warlock by Will Poulter. I very much enjoy the actor but his character comes off incredibly weak. Yes, he's incredibly powerful but the man behind those powers is a mama's boy and could have come off so much stronger (but that might be dipping into the "toxic masculinity" waters according to some). Overall, this is a very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and I'm curious what the future holds for any or all of these characters. 7/10

Loved this, did you happen to see the Holiday special they filed with this?
It was really funny and will be a regular watch, every year.

Yes I did. I remember it being pretty fun. I do like the short one offs like that that they make every once in a while.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1066695
08/13/23 06:34 PM
08/13/23 06:34 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HEART OF STONE

Gal Gadot starts as Rachel Stone, a member of The Charter (a shadow peacekeeping agency) who's infiltrated MI-6 and who's current status is that of the "always stays in the van" tech support member of the group. While on a mission in Portugal, Stone's cover is blown in order to save her MI-6 members from assassination by a group of mercenaries. Although, the real story begins to take place as it was a ruse in order to flush Stone out in order to steal her organization's most valuable asset, The Heart, which can control any electronic device. We're talking stock markets, financial institutions, government defense systems, etc. Stone must track down and stop those who are after her, her organization, and The Heart. The film played somewhat like a female Bond film, with a brilliant opening parachute scene filmed at the Glacier Hotel Grawand in Senales, Italy that felt very much like the Piz Gloria Revolving Restaurant in Switzerland from ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. Throughout there were additional shots, including a motorcycle chase scene, that had a somewhat Bondesque quality to them. Gadot has proven time and again she is more than capable of handling a franchise as well as the hard action and this is just another example of that. She's joined by my first time being introduced to Alia Bhatt, who plays 22-year-old computer hacker Keya Dhawan. She's an orphan who was rescued from obscurity and trained to benefit her beneficiary. Although, Keya has a conscience and there's more to her than meets the eye. She typically works in Hindi films but I hope this can be her springboard towards more English language work. This was a very enjoyable ride that I can see having a franchise built around because as soon as the credits rolled, I was already ready for the sequel. Finally, instead of some of the recent talk about recasting the new James Bond as a female, I've always been of the opinion to create your own franchise. Stop standing on the shoulders of others and create something new, something original, something that's your own and I believe this film did just that. 7/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1067028
08/17/23 09:01 PM
08/17/23 09:01 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
BLUE BEETLE

Recent college graduate Jaime Reyes (Xolo Maridueña) returns home, only to find his family is about to be evicted due to the landlord tripling their rent. Getting a job with his sister Milagro (Belissa Escobedo) as a housekeeper for Victoria Kord (Susan Sarandon), Jaime and Milagro soon find themselves unemployed when Jaime interjects himself into a verbal altercation between Victoria and her niece Jenny (Bruna Marquezine). Grateful for Jaime's attempt to diffuse the situation, Jenny offers him employment in another capacity at Kord Industries (think of it as DC's Stark Industries). However, once Jaime arrives, he's quickly given a box from Jenny and told not to open it and to guard it with his life. Of course, once he gets home and shows it to his family, they open it and an ancient piece of alien technology (the Blue Beetle) chooses and attaches itself to Jaime, turning him into the superhero. I honestly didn't know anything about this character, nor had I even heard of him prior to the film being announced. But, with it being a comic book property, I gave it a shot and it's a fun ride. There were moments where Jaime felt like a crossover between Peter Parker and Tony Stark: a 22-year-old young adult given a technologically advanced suit and inadvertently becoming a super hero. It follows the same formula as every comic book movie nowadays and while the fatigue is starting to set in on me, this was a refreshing new entry. Family is at the core of the story, it's funny, has some great performances by Xolo, Bruna, and George Lopez, who I'm usually not the biggest fan of his work but he won me over in his role as Uncle Rudy. Supposedly this is the first entry in the rebooted DCEU and while it wasn't a homerun, it's still found solid footing. 6.5/10

Page 86 of 91 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull