GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 259 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom's "family"? #1066121
08/06/23 11:30 PM
08/06/23 11:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
The movies and the novel tell us that Sonny found Tom, as a child, wandering in the streets. He brought Tom home. He was raised in the Corleone home, and Vito treated him like a son, Sonny like a brother. Michael introduced him to Kay as “My brother, Tom Hagen.”

But, was he really “family” to the Corleones?

--Ever notice that Tom never calls Vito “Pop,” as did Sonny and Michael; or “Papa,” as did Fredo, or “Dad,” or “Father.” Nor did he call him “Godfather,” “Don Vito” or “Don Corleone.” In fact, Tom never calls Vito anything—he uses no form of address to the man who supposedly treated him as a son.
--When talking to Sonny, Fredo and Michael—his “brothers"—Tom always refers to Vito as “your father,” not “Pop.” “Your father wouldn’t want to hear this,” he tells Sonny after the shooting, when he wants to launch an all-out war. “They shot my father,” Sonny replies.” Tom tells Sonny, “If your father dies, you make the deal [with Solozzo], Sonny.” He replies: “It’s easy for you to say, he’s not your father.” “I’m as much a son to him as you or Michael.” Says Tom. Sonny just shrugs.
--In the flashback scene at the end of II, after Michael reveals that he’s joined the Marines, Tom says, “Your father and I have discussed your future many times.” Michael gives him the Dreaded Corleone Stare and intones, slowly: “You talked to my father…about my future…?”
--After the Tahoe shooting, Michael, setting up Tom to take over while he goes to Miami, NYC and Havana, says, “You’re my brother, Tom.” Tom practically breaks down in tears: “I always wanted to thought of as a brother by you, Mikey -- a real brother,” which to my ear sounds like Tom never thought Michael regarded him as a brother.

What’s going on here? What do you think?
?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Turnbull] #1066144
08/07/23 10:58 AM
08/07/23 10:58 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
It's certainly meaningful, and it runs back into the novel. As I mentioned in a comment on that board, when he's first introduced in the novel he's called "Thomas Hagen." Thereafter in the book and movie he's called "Tom" or "Tom Hagen," never Tommy or Tommaso. And the full name "Tom Hagen" is used in situations where it seems unnecessary, like when he's in the room and everyone there knows him. There's at least one instance where Puzo calls him "Tom Hagen" in three consecutive sentences. My thought is that Puzo, at least, was trying to present as something of a mechanical man, a robot that served Vito but wasn't a fully functioning person.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Turnbull] #1066146
08/07/23 01:00 PM
08/07/23 01:00 PM
G
Gudfadern Offline
Button
Gudfadern  Offline
G
Button
Also from the flashback Tom says; "Pop had to pull a lot of strings to get your deferment".

Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Turnbull] #1066313
08/09/23 12:04 AM
08/09/23 12:04 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Did Sonny regard Tom as a real brother? really “family”?
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Extracts: Sonny: “They shot my father,” “It’s easy for you [Tom] to say, he’s not your father.”
Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it!
If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got
(then, after exhaling)
I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. Ma made a little dinner -- it's Sunday....

Vito didn't take consiglieri Tom into his confidence and kept Tom totally in the dark about the Baptism massacre
Again, Tom was not really “family” to the Corleones? or ?!!
Vito: Michael has all my confidence as -- as you do But uh -- there are reasons why you must have no part in what is going to happen
Michael: Yeah -- there's a lot I can't tell you -- but it's -- it's because I admire you and I love you that I kept things secret from you

• Side question please
Normal procedure, Barzini's consiglieri would approach Michael's consiglieri that “Barzini wants to arrange a meeting. He says we can straighten any of our problems out....”
Vito: Now listen -- whoever comes to you with this Barzini meeting -- he's the traitor. Don't forget that

If Tom had been approached and Tom not a wartime consiglieri -- believing it was a genuine offer! and took it to Michael -
  • Then what happens?!
  • why didn't Barzini get his consiglieri to approach Michael's consiglieri
  • also Barzini had been chiselling Corleone territories and suddenly this Barzini meeting --

If Barzini had been smart! and gone through their respective consiglieris could have thrown everyone off and may have been All over Red rover! for Michael. Barzini now the Top Mafia Don

Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Lana] #1066579
08/12/23 04:37 AM
08/12/23 04:37 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
he was not really “family”

If Tom had been approached and Tom not a wartime consiglieri -- believing it was a genuine offer! and took it to Michael - Job for Neri

If Barzini had been smart! and gone through their respective consiglieris could have thrown everyone off and may have been All over Red rover! for Michael. Barzini was slippin'

Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Gudfadern] #1066637
08/13/23 01:27 AM
08/13/23 01:27 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by mustachepete
My thought is that Puzo, at least, was trying to present as something of a mechanical man, a robot that served Vito but wasn't a fully functioning person.

I came to somewhat the same conclusion in a thread I started in the "Novel" board a long time ago, Pete:
http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=900431&Searchpage=1&Main=35815&Words=%2BDid+%2BTom&Search=true#Post900431

Originally Posted by Gudfadern
Also from the flashback Tom says; "Pop had to pull a lot of strings to get your deferment".

Good catch, Gud! Perhaps Puzo and FFC, taking pity on Tom, threw him one "family intimacy" for the last time we see him in the Trilogy. wink

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Turnbull] #1066710
08/13/23 08:09 PM
08/13/23 08:09 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I thought Tom said Pop at least once, thanks Gud

Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Lana] #1066753
08/14/23 09:12 PM
08/14/23 09:12 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
I reckon Tom always knew he was not regarded as a real son, a real brother, really “family” he is not Corleone blood
Carlo, a Sicilian marries into it -- treated like an outcast!

Originally Posted by Lana
If Tom had been approached and Tom not a wartime consiglieri -- believing it was a genuine offer! and took it to Michael - Then what happens?!

He knew this Barzini meeting was coming. He said he thought it would've been Clemenza, not Tessio...
How he knew when he was out and was kept totally in the dark!

He was not present at the new Don Corleone hand kissing, by Clemenza and Rocco.
Interesting Neri didn't kiss Just shut the door in Kay's face

Originally Posted by Gudfadern

True Then goes on "your father has big plans for you."

Re: Tom's "family"? [Re: Evita] #1067200
08/20/23 12:05 AM
08/20/23 12:05 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
You are right!
Originally Posted by Evita
"He knew this Barzini meeting was coming. He said he thought it would've been Clemenza, not Tessio..."

Tom's sixth sense!
Originally Posted by Evita
How he knew when he was out and was kept totally in the dark!

Vito and all his sons, visited the dying consiglieri Genco, he is not gonna last out the night
Vito's all his sons included Fontane but not Tom

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull