GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, CNote, 2 invisible), 361 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,850
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,411
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oppenheimer #1064473
07/21/23 02:56 AM
07/21/23 02:56 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline OP
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline OP
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
This movie has got YT giving me lots of Atomic Bomb videos to watch...

The Castle Bravo Disaster - A "Second Hiroshima"

On March 1st, 1954, the United States detonated the country’s first thermonuclear or fusion bomb at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, a small coral reef and 23 islands almost equidistant from Australia, Japan, and Hawaii. In the days and weeks following the blast, the United States would pay out millions of dollars in settlements, thousands of islanders would be evacuated and re-evacuated, and the Japanese public would deem the test “a second Hiroshima,” a comparison no citizen would dare make lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew064gt2thY

Joseph Rotblat -

Sir Joseph Rotblat KCMG CBE FRS (4 November 1908 – 31 August 2005) was a Polish and British physicist. During World War II he worked on Tube Alloys and the Manhattan Project, but left the Los Alamos Laboratory on grounds of conscience after it became clear to him in 1944 that Germany had ceased development of an atomic bomb.

His work on nuclear fallout was a major contribution toward the ratification of the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. A signatory of the 1955 Russell–Einstein Manifesto, he was secretary-general of the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs from their founding until 1973 and shared, with the Pugwash Conferences, the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize "for efforts to diminish the part played by nuclear arms in international affairs and, in the longer run, to eliminate such arms."

Rotblat felt betrayed by the use of atomic weapons against Japan, and gave a series of public lectures in which he called for a three-year moratorium on all atomic research. Rotblat was determined that his research should have only peaceful ends, and so became interested in the medical and biological uses of radiation. In 1949, he became Professor of Physics at St Bartholomew's Hospital ("Barts"), London, a teaching hospital associated with the University of London. He remained there for the rest of his career, becoming a professor emeritus in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Rotblat

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064544
07/21/23 04:20 PM
07/21/23 04:20 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
I found this bio on Oppenheimer to be well done.

Oppenheimer - Destroyer of Worlds Documentary
From The People Profiles Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s9fpFPAC94

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064587
07/21/23 06:58 PM
07/21/23 06:58 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Thanks that they bring him to big screen at a time of a war in Europe, is pretty cool.
Christopher Nolan is a legend !

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064625
07/21/23 11:56 PM
07/21/23 11:56 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
The Day After Trinity

The Criterion Channel

This essential, Academy Award–nominated documentary offers an urgent warning from history about the dangers of nuclear warfare via the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic physicist and all-around Renaissance man who led the Manhattan Project to develop the atomic bomb that America unleashed on Japan in the final days of World War II. Through extensive interviews and archival footage, THE DAY AFTER TRINITY traces Oppenheimer’s evolution, from architect of one of the most consequential endeavors of the twentieth century to an outspoken opponent of nuclear proliferation who came to deeply regret his role in ushering in the perils of the atomic age.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-day-after-trinity/videos/the-day-after-trinity

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064626
07/22/23 12:53 AM
07/22/23 12:53 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
I've decided, for convenience, to see the movie on a "small" screen at my neighborhood theater on Tuesday afternoon for $6.50. I will then decide if I want to try for the IMAX 70mm at the Dallas Cinemark, if the run is extended, for the chance of getting other than 1st three rows seating...

‘Oppenheimer’ Cast and Historical Guide: The Real People Behind the First Atomic Bomb

https://variety.com/lists/oppenheimer-cast-guide-manhattan-project/

The one thing you need to know about Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” is that it moves incredibly fast and covers a lot of ground. For most of its three-hour runtime, the atomic bomb epic can feel as if you’re reading a dense biography about J. Robert Oppenheimer at three times the normal speed. With so many scientist characters orbiting Oppenheimer at light speed, you’d be forgiven for feeling a little lost at times.

To help watch “Oppenheimer” with a bit more clarity, it’s important to know the movie takes place during three time periods. One timeline is set in 1954 as the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) holds a security hearing to investigate whether or not Oppenheimer (Cillian Murphy) is a Soviet spy. The hearing prompts the film to flash back to the events of Oppenheimer’s life, from his university days to his role in creating the atomic bomb. These portions of the film, shot in color, make up the bulk of “Oppenheimer’s” three-hour runtime.

A third storyline is shot in black and white and takes place in 1959 as Lewis Strauss (Robert Downey Jr.), the former chairman of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, is seeking to become U.S. Secretary of Commerce under President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Strauss finds himself at the center of his own U.S. Senate confirmation hearing, which threatens to expose his involvement in the events of the 1954 timeline.

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064705
07/22/23 10:48 PM
07/22/23 10:48 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
The Moment in Time: THE MANHATTAN PROJECT

University of California Television (UCTV)

The history of the bomb's development is traced through recollections of those who worked on what was known as "the gadget."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwpgmEvlRpM

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064713
07/23/23 03:06 AM
07/23/23 03:06 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Plutonium Production in WWII and The Cold War

The Building of the Hanford Site in Washington State

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

Hanford Engineer Works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Engineer_Works

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064782
07/24/23 11:02 AM
07/24/23 11:02 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Symposium where some Manhattan Project Russian espionage is discussed with some experts.
Given at the La Fonda - Sana Fe, NM Hotel in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5AU0Paf-eY

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064812
07/25/23 02:40 AM
07/25/23 02:40 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by U talkin' da me ??
This movie has got YT giving me lots of Atomic Bomb videos to watch...

The Castle Bravo Disaster - A "Second Hiroshima"

On March 1st, 1954, the United States detonated the country’s first thermonuclear or fusion bomb at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, a small coral reef and 23 islands almost equidistant from Australia, Japan, and Hawaii. In the days and weeks following the blast, the United States would pay out millions of dollars in settlements, thousands of islanders would be evacuated and re-evacuated, and the Japanese public would deem the test “a second Hiroshima,” a comparison no citizen would dare make lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew064gt2thY

This is a very thoughtful video. A couple of additions:

Castle Bravo wasn't the first US thermonuclear (fusion) test. The US detonated the first true fusion explosion on Nov. 2, 1952 in the Enewetak Atoll. It was called Ivy Mike and it yielded 10.4 Megatons. It demonstrated the Teller/Ulam Principle (which your video clip showed simply), which made workable H-bombs feasible. But, Ivy Mike wasn't a weapon: its thermonuclear fuel was 6,000 liters of liquid deuterium, cooled to cryogenic temperatures. It weighed more than 60 tons. Castle Bravo, shown in your clip, wasn't an actual weapon, but it was a weaponizable design, using dry fuel (Li6 Deuteride). The first US hydrogen bomb dropped from an aircraft was the Cherokee test (3.8 Megatons) over the Bikini Atoll in May 1956.

Here is a color clip of Castle Bravo from the movie, "Trinity and Beyond - The Atomic Bomb Movie." This film is brilliant--a work of art:

https://www.facebook.com/CTBTO/videos/operation-castle-bravo-1954-reloaded/10154046647629047/

Second: As your clip points out, Castle Bravo's fallout caused huge riots in Japan, and resulted in the "Gojira" movie, which was shown in the US as "Godzilla," starring Raymond Burr.. But, the original uncensored Japanese release didn't have Burr (his scenes were added for "Godzilla"), was considerably longer, and had a pointed message: Irresponsible US testing of atomic weapons not only awakened this Jurassic-era monster from aeons of slumber, it grew him to gigantic size--and made him immortal. It's vastly better than "Godzilla."

The two best Hiroshima movies, IMO, are "Hiroshima" (1995), a joint Japanese/Canadian production, and "Day One" (1989) featuring a great performance by Brian Dennehy.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1064813
07/25/23 02:58 AM
07/25/23 02:58 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Great Explanation/Animation Video
The animation is made in Blender 3.1 (EEVEE)

What's Inside the Atomic Bomb? | Insane Engineering of the Atomic Weapons | CURISM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLagTduqvI

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1065153
07/28/23 10:51 PM
07/28/23 10:51 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Atomic Blasts- Operations Greenhouse Through Upshot-Knothole - 1951-1953 - 29:22 - Color - Silent - This video shows a compilation of early atomic blasts taken from individual short films of the tests. These formerly classified films have never before been seen by the public. The video shows close up footage of boiling, tumbling, rolling fireballs of great destructive force as the nuclear power from the splitting of nuclei of atoms is unleashed. The blinding fury released by these early atomic devices demonstrates the show of power that was used by the United States to end World War II and establish a power base for the Cold War to follow.

The term "atomic" designated them as fission devices, as opposed to the later much more powerful thermonuclear devices, which used a fission test to start a fusion process. Eventually, the word "atomic" was replaced by the term "nuclear."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu_ZUl9YDM

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1065371
07/30/23 10:23 PM
07/30/23 10:23 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
The Evolution of Nuclear Bombs - 4K - Published 7/29/23

Swegle Studios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-blLT5QQa4

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1066123
08/06/23 11:55 PM
08/06/23 11:55 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Opinion: Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer’ marred by 5 historical inaccuracies

By Barton Bernstein, a Professor of History at Stanford

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/07...marred-by-5-historical-inaccuracies/amp/

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1067433
08/22/23 10:39 PM
08/22/23 10:39 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
I saw Oppenheimer at the Dallas IMAX today. It was like seeing a different movie, from when I saw it several weeks ago in a regular theater.

The thing that made the difference for me was the quality of the audio in the IMAX theater. The fact that the image was super large, didn't make all that much difference to me. So, the soundtrack came to life like it had not, watching Oppenheimer at a regular theater.

In fact, the explosions, were too much. But everything else in the film was made way more wonderful listening through the IMAX sound system!! The dialogue was crisp and clear, expect, there were just a few places where the music covered up the dialogue.

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1068934
09/12/23 07:36 AM
09/12/23 07:36 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
The People the Oppenheimer Film Erased

September 2023
By Chantell L. Murphy

Not a single ponderosa pine can be found in the new film Oppenheimer, about physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer. The locations chosen for the Manhattan Project that he led played a pivotal role in the story of the atomic bomb. Not casting the landscape accurately erases an important detail from the film’s portrayal of the development of the world’s most lethal weapon.

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2023-09/features/people-oppenheimer-film-erased

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1085220
03/10/24 10:37 PM
03/10/24 10:37 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

All eyes were on "Oppenheimer" starring Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr. and Emily Blunt at the Oscars on Sunday. The film dominated at the box office this year and throughout awards season.

Now it's been named Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

"Oppenheimer" won seven Oscars Sunday night, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor. It also won for Best Film Editing and Best Cinematography. Ludwig Göransson also took home the Oscar for Best Original Score.

Dutch cameraman Hoyte van Hoytema won an Oscar for the film Oppenheimer in the night from Sunday to Monday . He received the statuette during the ceremony at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. This is the first time that 52-year-old Van Hoytema has won the most important film prize in the world.

It is the second time that Van Hoytema was nominated for an Oscar. The first time was for his work on the film Dunkirk . Van Hoytema looked happy with his win. “Silly,” he began his speech. The cameraman read his words of thanks from a note he had brought with him.

ALSO LOOK AT:

Will cameraman Hoyte van Hoytema get an Oscar for Oppenheimer? 'His talent was not recognized in the Netherlands'

His main message was a plea for the use of celluloid - the material on which analogue film is shot - instead of digital recording. “For all aspiring filmmakers: try to shoot on that great new thing they call celluloid,” says Van Hoytema. “It's much easier, and the images look so much better.”

He also thanked director Christopher Nolan and his wife, producer Emma Thomas. They have already made four films with Van Hoytema. “You were the best thing that could have happened to me in my career,” said Van Hoytema. “Without you this would never have happened.” He also thanked his wife and daughter, who have always supported him in his work.

The Swiss-born Dutchman studied film in Poland and started his career in Sweden. Van Hoytema then moved to Hollywood, where he has worked on numerous major international films over the last twelve years.

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1085221
03/10/24 10:43 PM
03/10/24 10:43 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Tarantino has himself said that he would stop making films if he can't shoot on celluloid.

Re: Oppenheimer [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #1085259
03/11/24 03:34 PM
03/11/24 03:34 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Van Hoytema wrangled a huge IMAX camera, favored by Nolan, to film Oppenheimer from the famous explosion scene to some of the epic three-hour movie’s most intimate moments.

‘Nothing Beats Film’
As well as Nolan’s beloved IMAX format, van Hoytema also used the Panavision 65mm cameras favored by David Lean for the 1962 movie Lawrence Of Arabia, using color and black-and-white — the latter requiring Kodak to manufacture a new film stock especially for Oppenheimer.

The Eastman Double-X Black and White film in 65mm was specifically created by Kodak for use with the IMAX and Panavision System 65mm film cameras in the making of Oppenheimer.

The cinematographer said that he and Nolan were stunned by how “beautiful” Kodak’s newly-manufactured film stock was.

“We’d never seen anything like it — very special, very beautiful,” van Hoytema tells Kodak’s website.

“Although I shoot a lot of commercials using digital cameras, I still believe the film is more engaging to watch and is much closer to the human visual experience.

“There’s still nothing that beats the resolution, depth, color, and roundness of the analog image, nor in the feeling overall that film conveys.

“When you watch an analog print, especially in an IMAX theatre, the level of impact is freaking inspiring.”

https://petapixel.com/2024/03/11/op...ers-to-shoot-on-analog-in-oscars-speech/

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull