GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,987
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO #1063622
07/13/23 11:18 AM
07/13/23 11:18 AM
M
MafiaStudent Offline OP
MafiaStudent  Offline OP

M
Underboss
Really interesting article about RICO

An Offer You Can’t Refuse? | How a Mob Statute Metastasized
PIPER FRENCH

For Shani Robinson, an activist and former educator in Atlanta, the ongoing racketeering trial against the rapper Young Thug and his record label YSL has occasioned a strong sense of déjà vu. Robinson has been ensnared in her own RICO — Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations — case for a decade now. Along the way, she has become a reluctant expert on the statute, but back when she was first charged in 2013, she remembers marveling: What, like Sons of Anarchy? “That was the only thing I knew about RICO,” she told me. “I was thinking, I know they don’t think I was part of some cartel.”

You could be forgiven for wondering what exactly Robinson, an idealistic first-grade teacher who had been at the job just three years when she was indicted for allegedly changing answers on standardized tests, has in common with Young Thug, a famous rapper and fashion maven who stands accused of participating in a criminal street gang. A comparison of the two indictments yields few answers. The alleged conspiracies: the Atlanta public school system is, well, a school system, but Fulton County prosecutors painted it as a criminal enterprise involved in the systematic manipulation of students’ test scores in order to garner bonuses from the state; YSL is a rap label, but prosecutors say it is also a gang involved in drug distribution, theft, and occasionally murder. The leaders: Superintendent Beverly Hall, alleged orchestrator of the cheating scheme, who created “unreasonable pressure” to hit testing targets that caused her employees to resort to fixing exams; Young Thug, born Jeffery Williams, who cofounded YSL and elevated its profile through his music. The charges: Robinson was accused of violating Georgia’s RICO Act, while Young Thug is merely charged with conspiracy to violate it; each possesses one count on top of that. Most striking, however, is what they have not been charged with: the indictments associate Robinson and Young Thug with a laundry list of other crimes allegedly committed by their respective “organizations,” of which neither has been directly accused. By the logic of the teacher case, “anyone who receives a paycheck from Atlanta public schools can be classified as a racketeer,” Robinson said. “A lot of people don’t realize how easily anyone could have been involved in this.”

RICO seems to be everywhere in the news lately, and if you are a fan of rap, HBO, or the films of Martin Scorsese, you’ll likely notice it everywhere in pop culture, too. Most people associate RICO with the Mob, for good reason: the statute is best known as the silver bullet that finally took down the New York Cosa Nostra in the 1980s, allowing federal prosecutors to connect crimes committed by its low-level henchmen to its uppermost echelon. And though the law’s exact scope and intent has always been contested, RICO’s principal author, the legal scholar G. Robert Blakey, maintains that it wasn’t crafted purely to target the Mafia, but rather a wide array of crimes that would otherwise slip beyond the reach of the state. In the half century since RICO became law, that aim has been realized beyond his wildest dreams.

Besides the aforementioned targets, the statute has been applied variously to labor unions, tobacco companies, MS-13, abortion protestors, the Hells Angels, corrupt politicians, white-collar criminals, R. Kelly, FIFA, NXIVM, and Major League Baseball. Fani Willis, the district attorney of Fulton County, Georgia, who led the case against the Atlanta teachers and is currently prosecuting YSL, may be RICO’s number-one fan; in March, CNN reported that she was considering using the the statute against Donald Trump. As of this writing, there are whisperings that RICO may be deployed against the protesters opposing a police training facility known as Cop City in Atlanta as well.

It is hard to imagine that Blakey intended his act to apply to someone like Shani Robinson. He’s 88 years old now; when I emailed him, he responded from a smartphone inviting me to send a list of questions, then never replied, so we can’t know for sure. But many of his thoughts are a matter of public record. Blakey has said that he designed RICO as a score settler, “the slingshot the Davids of this world can use to have a fair fight with the Goliaths.” To him, the Cosa Nostra, which was siphoning money and resources off from practically every industry in New York City and could neutralize powerful enemies without repercussion, looked an awful lot like a Goliath. But because the legal system was so exclusively focused on individuals, whenever mobsters did get their day in court it was always the little guys, the ones who actually did the dirty work, who ended up taking the fall. The people with real power could afford to keep their hands clean. And Blakey wanted RICO to be marshaled against corporate bigwigs, too. “We don’t want one set of rules for people whose collars are blue or whose names end in vowels, and another set for those whose collars are white and have Ivy League diplomas,” he told Time in 1989.

In reality, RICO has for the most part exacerbated these imbalances, rather than rectifying them — more atom bomb than silver bullet. Its passage into law in 1970, just as Lyndon B. Johnson’s “war on crime” gave way to Richard Nixon’s “war on drugs,” coincided with the start of a vast evolution in the criminal legal system. Over the past 50 years, that system has grown far more sophisticated, interconnected, and well-resourced. It reaches farther into people’s lives than ever before: not just within the thousands of prisons and jails and detention centers that span the country, but in predictive policing technology, court-ordered electronic supervision, social-media surveillance, and increasingly complex charges and cases. RICO has been both a metaphor for that transformation and an engine of it.

Like that of many well-educated strivers of his time, Blakey’s involvement in the major flashpoints of latter twentieth-century American history can appear almost Gumpian. He cut his teeth in Robert F. Kennedy’s Department of Justice and later served on the House assassinations committee that retrod the Warren Commission’s steps, eventually writing two books arguing that JFK was killed by the Mob.

You can read the rest of the article here:

https://www.thedriftmag.com/an-offer-you-cant-refuse/

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063629
07/13/23 01:39 PM
07/13/23 01:39 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Thanks for the article.

One question...i know that RICO law defines specific crimes but I wonder if one can be prosecuted just for being a member of the Mafia, without doing any crime? I think in Italy they have that type of law...

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063650
07/13/23 04:20 PM
07/13/23 04:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, a Mafioso can be prosecuted under RICO if the prosecution makes a case that his specifc crime or crimes were committed on behalf of a "Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization"--i.e., a Mafia family--and followed a "pattrern" of racketeering, like loan-sharking and gambling games. The Justice Dept. defines it this way: "The power of RICO lies in its conspiracy provision, based on an enterprise rationale, that allows tying together apparently unrelated crimes with a common objective into a prosecutable pattern of racketeering."

"Conspiracy" is extremely important because because it greatly eases the prosecution's ability to bring in a conviction vs. a standard felony charge. Two ways:
--They don't have to prove that you actually committed a crime, only that you were conspiring with others to commit a crime.
--The judge willl allow "uncorroborated testimony from unindicted co-conspirators." That's a fancy way of saying that if you are their prime target, and they think I was involved in some way with you, they can pull me in, threaten to indict me for the same crime, and then withhold indicting me if I agree to cooperate with them. In orher words, they can coerce me into testifying against you. And when I do, they won't have to produce corroborating witnesses who will back up my testimony against you.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063651
07/13/23 04:27 PM
07/13/23 04:27 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Thanks for the explanation TB. Cheers

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Toodoped] #1063656
07/13/23 06:05 PM
07/13/23 06:05 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Thanks for the article.

One question...i know that RICO law defines specific crimes but I wonder if one can be prosecuted just for being a member of the Mafia, without doing any crime? I think in Italy they have that type of law...

In Italy, under article 41bis, you can be charged just for mafia association, even without committing crime.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063657
07/13/23 06:10 PM
07/13/23 06:10 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by carmela
Thanks for the article.

In Italy, under article 41bis, you can be charged just for mafia association, even without committing crime.

100% right

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063706
07/14/23 05:35 AM
07/14/23 05:35 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Thanks for the article.

Carm!!!! Darling, nice to see you again after all these years! I/we missed you and your info and I hope this time you'll stick around. Cheers

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063721
07/14/23 09:21 AM
07/14/23 09:21 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Good to see you again Carmela!

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #1063731
07/14/23 11:13 AM
07/14/23 11:13 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times

Thanks, and thank you, TooDoped. I had gotten an email notification for a PM, so I logged in. Then I saw this post, which caught my interest.

Despite what others had said years ago, my husband, today, is facing 11 counts of state RICO charges. People thought I was storytelling back then when this all started.

Anyway, good to see you still around, both of you.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063732
07/14/23 11:41 AM
07/14/23 11:41 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Thanks, and thank you, TooDoped. I had gotten an email notification for a PM, so I logged in. Then I saw this post, which caught my interest.

Despite what others had said years ago, my husband, today, is facing 11 counts of state RICO charges. People thought I was storytelling back then when this all started.

Thanks Carm and yeah I know what you're saying since most of those guys are assholes and I literally banned myself from that place aka kamikaze style lol, so fuck em. Sorry to hear about your husband, since I remember back in the days you already told me some stuff. Dont forget that some of us are still here for you and again, Im glad to see you're ok after all this time. Salut'

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Turnbull] #1063734
07/14/23 12:52 PM
07/14/23 12:52 PM
Friend_of_Henry Offline
Underboss
Friend_of_Henry  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Yes, a Mafioso can be prosecuted under RICO if the prosecution makes a case that his specifc crime or crimes were committed on behalf of a "Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization"--i.e., a Mafia family--and followed a "pattrern" of racketeering, like loan-sharking and gambling games. The Justice Dept. defines it this way: "The power of RICO lies in its conspiracy provision, based on an enterprise rationale, that allows tying together apparently unrelated crimes with a common objective into a prosecutable pattern of racketeering."

"Conspiracy" is extremely important because because it greatly eases the prosecution's ability to bring in a conviction vs. a standard felony charge. Two ways:
--They don't have to prove that you actually committed a crime, only that you were conspiring with others to commit a crime.
--The judge willl allow "uncorroborated testimony from unindicted co-conspirators." That's a fancy way of saying that if you are their prime target, and they think I was involved in some way with you, they can pull me in, threaten to indict me for the same crime, and then withhold indicting me if I agree to cooperate with them. In orher words, they can coerce me into testifying against you. And when I do, they won't have to produce corroborating witnesses who will back up my testimony against you.

Years ago during Deer Season, I would get Charlie Murgie a Sunday Pittsburgh Post. After he read the article regarding the new RICO Law, he told the rest of the Guys that we better get different jobs as this new law will put us out of business.

"Never walk in a room that you don't know how to get out of"- Henry Zottola
Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063736
07/14/23 01:49 PM
07/14/23 01:49 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy

Welcome back Carmela!!! I'm glad that turn back to the forum.Sorry for your husband,he get a long sentence?

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: furio_from_naples] #1063739
07/14/23 02:04 PM
07/14/23 02:04 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

Welcome back Carmela!!! I'm glad that turn back to the forum.Sorry for your husband,he get a long sentence?

Hi Furio, and thanks! I just really saw this topic that caught my attention when I logged in to read a PM, that's all. Not really back to the forum.

Trial is set for January 8. This has been going on forever. Started out as a civil case back in 2014, and was settled. Reopened in 2018 as a criminal case. Then prosecutor went back to the grand jury for a superceeding indictment and got them turned over to (11) RICO charges (state). Covid slowed things down in the courts, too. If you're asking what the max sentence would be for convictions on all 11 charges? Something ridiculous like 113 years lol.

Biggest issue here is my husband never became a US citizen, only legal resident with a green card, so he faces deportation if convicted. Any sentence that's over one year is grounds for deportation under RICO.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Toodoped] #1063740
07/14/23 02:05 PM
07/14/23 02:05 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

Thanks Carm and yeah I know what you're saying since most of those guys are assholes and I literally banned myself from that place aka kamikaze style lol, so fuck em. Sorry to hear about your husband, since I remember back in the days you already told me some stuff. Dont forget that some of us are still here for you and again, Im glad to see you're ok after all this time. Salut'

I guess kamikaze is the way to go grin

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063743
07/14/23 02:44 PM
07/14/23 02:44 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

I guess kamikaze is the way to go grin

+1 smile

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063746
07/14/23 04:55 PM
07/14/23 04:55 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Good to see old posters again!!!!

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #1063821
07/15/23 02:27 PM
07/15/23 02:27 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Thats a great statement, meaning we should all get back together on this forum like in the old days.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Toodoped] #1063905
07/16/23 10:04 AM
07/16/23 10:04 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

Thats a great statement, meaning we should all get back together on this forum like in the old days.

Yeah, well, the old days weren't all that great. The new days aren't so hot either right now, though. ohwell

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: carmela] #1063906
07/16/23 10:13 AM
07/16/23 10:13 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Yeah, well, the old days weren't all that great. The new days aren't so hot either right now, though. ohwell

I agree Carm and I get what you're saying. Everything is about competition and backstabbing, while being on a ordinary mafia forum lol but still (dont get me wrong) i think there was more respect between members 10 or 12 years ago, than today. If you are gone for few months, all of the people that you personally brought on these forums are going to steal your stuff and will be against you. But as the song goes...Thats Life smile

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Toodoped] #1063934
07/16/23 02:40 PM
07/16/23 02:40 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

I agree Carm and I get what you're saying. Everything is about competition and backstabbing, while being on a ordinary mafia forum lol but still (dont get me wrong) i think there was more respect between members 10 or 12 years ago, than today. If you are gone for few months, all of the people that you personally brought on these forums are going to steal your stuff and will be against you. But as the song goes...Thats Life smile

Oh yeah, the forums you mean. I meant my own personal life as of now. It's been tough and I have a lot on my plate. Well, my husband, kids, and myself. It hasn't been easy and not going to be.

As far as the boards go, it was fun. You know these guys love to spread a good story, even made up and fabricated ones.
My days posting have been over obviously as of 2015, or so, a result of what's going on here. Again, I know they thought I was story telling, it didn't matter. All anyone had to do was ask, and I could show you what 11 RICO charges look like and whatever else they wanted to see for proof.

Stay well TooDoped, Jimmy Two Times, Furio, and others. And good luck to you and NYMafia on your endeavors.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063935
07/16/23 02:46 PM
07/16/23 02:46 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Thank you Carmela. That was a classy thing to say. We're not familiar with one another, but I definitely appreciate your outlook and kind words. And you seem like a class act.

And I obviously don't know what's going on with you and your family in your personal life. But whatever hardships your facing, I certainly hope they'll be in the rearview mirror for you soon.

Best of luck and good wishes

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: NYMafia] #1063938
07/16/23 03:18 PM
07/16/23 03:18 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Thank you Carmela. That was a classy thing to say. We're not familiar with one another, but I definitely appreciate your outlook and kind words. And you seem like a class act.

And I obviously don't know what's going on with you and your family in your personal life. But whatever hardships your facing, I certainly hope they'll be in the rearview mirror for you soon.

Best of luck and good wishes

+100

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: MafiaStudent] #1063950
07/16/23 04:46 PM
07/16/23 04:46 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Oh yeah, the forums you mean. I meant my own personal life as of now. It's been tough and I have a lot on my plate. Well, my husband, kids, and myself. It hasn't been easy and not going to be.

As far as the boards go, it was fun. You know these guys love to spread a good story, even made up and fabricated ones.
My days posting have been over obviously as of 2015, or so, a result of what's going on here. Again, I know they thought I was story telling, it didn't matter. All anyone had to do was ask, and I could show you what 11 RICO charges look like and whatever else they wanted to see for proof.

Stay well TooDoped, Jimmy Two Times, Furio, and others. And good luck to you and NYMafia on your endeavors.

Thanks Carmela.

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: furio_from_naples] #1064342
07/19/23 11:59 AM
07/19/23 11:59 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Thanks Carmela.

Fur you are also one of the original members around here and so thanks for all of your info from the past and in future, obviously in advance smile

Re: An Offer You Can't Refuse - RICO [Re: Toodoped] #1064351
07/19/23 02:21 PM
07/19/23 02:21 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy

Thanks Carmela.

Fur you are also one of the original members around here and so thanks for all of your info from the past and in future, obviously in advance smile

Thanks TooDoped. wink

Last edited by furio_from_naples; 07/19/23 02:21 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull