GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (m2w), 207 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,047
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 84 of 91 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1054865
03/26/23 09:44 PM
03/26/23 09:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WINNIE THE POOH: BLOOD AND HONEY

Yes, you read that right. Much like COCAINE BEAR, the title tells the whole story. After having grown up with the friendly animals, Christopher Robin soon ventures off to college; however, while doing so, the animals are left to fend for themselves in order to survive. This creates hardship and resentment amongst the creatures until Christopher returns one day with his soon bride-to-be. During the visit, the animals are not the sweet and cuddly friends Christopher expected to greet upon his arrival. No, the animals have returned to their basic nature and kill whatever prey comes their way in order to survive. Knowing you're not going to be graced with a GONE WITH THE WIND type of performance, the film still takes itself seriously and puts forward a fine effort. It's a fun ride to see a much different, darker, and gorier take on the classic characters. I'm sure this will not be for everyone but I appreciate the genre expansion and also look forward to future efforts by director Rhys Frake-Waterfield, as rumor has it characters such as Bambi, Mary from Mary Had A Little Lamb, Peter Pan, and a sequel to this are already being discussed! 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1054943
03/27/23 08:18 PM
03/27/23 08:18 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by Irishman12

Yes, you read that right. Much like COCAINE BEAR, the title tells the whole story. After having grown up with the friendly animals, Christopher Robin soon ventures off to college; however, while doing so, the animals are left to fend for themselves in order to survive. This creates hardship and resentment amongst the creatures until Christopher returns one day with his soon bride-to-be. During the visit, the animals are not the sweet and cuddly friends Christopher expected to greet upon his arrival. No, the animals have returned to their basic nature and kill whatever prey comes their way in order to survive. Knowing you're not going to be graced with a GONE WITH THE WIND type of performance, the film still takes itself seriously and puts forward a fine effort. It's a fun ride to see a much different, darker, and gorier take on the classic characters. I'm sure this will not be for everyone but I appreciate the genre expansion and also look forward to future efforts by director Rhys Frake-Waterfield, as rumor has it characters such as Bambi, Mary from Mary Had A Little Lamb, Peter Pan, and a sequel to this are already being discussed! 5/10

We plan on streaming soon, thanks for the review i12

? Why do you think china has banned this movie…does it have a negative reflection of anything Chinese?

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: DuesPaid] #1054988
03/28/23 05:40 PM
03/28/23 05:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by DuesPaid

We plan on streaming soon, thanks for the review i12

? Why do you think china has banned this movie…does it have a negative reflection of anything Chinese?

Xi Jinping is always trolled online that he looks like Winnie the Pooh so anything having to do with the character is banned in China.

Attached Files 514vJm9mugS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055407
04/02/23 02:31 AM
04/02/23 02:31 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
NEWS OF THE WORLD (2020)

Capt. Jefferson Kyle Kidd (Tom Hanks), Civil War veteran,, makes a living in postwar Texas reading newpaper headlines and articles to local audiences. He agrees to return 10-year-old Johanna (Helena Zengel), raised by Kiowa Indians who killed her family, to an aunt and uncle hundreds of miles away in Castroville. She knows no English and doesn't want to go. The two make the perilous journey, encountering good people and bad, and many narrow escapes, gradually bonding along the way. The film is slow moving at times but it tells the story beautifully, with superb cinematography, and offers a happy ending without being mawkish or sappy. Hanks, always good, doesn't disappoint. Zengel doesn't talk much, but she's exceptionally expressive. Well worth watching.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055454
04/02/23 05:28 PM
04/02/23 05:28 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
TETRIS

Taron Egerton stars as Bullet-Proof Software salesman Henk Rogers. Based in Tokyo and struggling to compete with the big boys, he's soon turned onto Tetris. Flabbergasted after just 5 minutes of playtime, he soon scours the globe in order to obtain the distribution rights for PC's, arcades, consoles, and handhelds. But, he's up against media titan Robert Maxwell (Roger Allam) who is equally looking to capitalize on the Tetris brand. Taking place in 1988, towards the end of the cold war and communism in Russia, convincing the communist to sell their game to capitalist will be no small task. The film starts out very fun and visually beautiful, turning actual pieces of film into 8-bit characters. But, once Henk realizes he needs to deal with the Russians directly rather than the middle man he had previously been dealing with in Robert Stein (Toby Jones), the film becomes quite repetitive and political. I understand the political nature due to the politics involved at the time, but again, the story seemed to be going around in circles, bringing the advancement of the story to a school zone pace. Once the issue is resolved, it's quite astonishing the deal that's reached, although, with any film based on actual events, it's always interesting and curious to see how much of what's presented is fact or fiction. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055497
04/02/23 09:03 PM
04/02/23 09:03 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
[Linked Image]

CHAMPIONS
4 1/2 - stars

I love this feel good movie, it’s one of the Best Movies released in years.

I think Woody Harrelson and the entire cast did a great job.
THIS MOVIE WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF MY TOP 10 OF ALL TIME.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055686
04/06/23 01:55 PM
04/06/23 01:55 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
INSIDE

Art thief Nemo (Willem Dafoe) has a simple job: break into a New York City penthouse, grab a couple of pieces of art, and get out. However, the crown jewel of his heist is nowhere to be found and after the security system is activated, he's locked inside of the penthouse. The owner has gone out of the country for an undisclosed amount of time, meaning basic necessities, such as food and water (the water has been turned off) are far and few in between. Abandoned by his team on the outside who helped him get into the penthouse, Nemo must use his wits and determination in order to prevent his current circumstances from becoming his tomb. I love Willem Dafoe and the story looked interesting enough from the trailer so I gave it a try. I think most are curious to see how (or if) he can escape. The story unfolds slowly, showing how limited the resources surrounding Nemo are and how quickly he needs to get creative. No timeline is given as much like Nemo, the audience is stuck with him for the ride and we're not even afforded that luxury. The story essential boils down to the lengths individuals are willing to go through for both profit and survival, determination, and some could even read about the fragility of man (particularly in regards to nature as at times the heat in increased to over 100 degrees, before then dropping to 40). There are many consecutive scenes without dialogue, showing Nemo attempting to break out or preparing food. Dafoe's been better and this is a film even his most loyal supporters can skip. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055759
04/07/23 02:48 PM
04/07/23 02:48 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

After the debacle of SUPER MARIO BROS. (1993), I wasn't sure if I wanted this to be animated or live action? Live action is great but you have more freedom in animation. After watching this, it didn't matter to me because I'm just SO happy they hit it out of the park. So many references and it's oozing with Easter eggs throughout. Originally I was a little upset that Luigi was the one being captured and not Peach (for original storyline accuracy's sake) but looking back, I'm glad they didn't relegate Peach to that role as Anya Taylor-Joy who voices Peach is a delight. This is easily one of my favorite video game movies as the team and studio finally got it right. It's fun, for all ages, doesn't overstay it's welcome, and left me wanting more (which I'm already eagerly anticipating a sequel). If you've ever loved any of the Mario games, you're going to love this film! 8.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1055927
04/08/23 08:45 PM
04/08/23 08:45 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
AIR

The true story of Sonny Vaccaro (Matt Damon) and his attempt to lure Michael Jordan from rivals Converse and Adidas to sign a basketball shoe contract with Nike. Set in 1984, the wardrobe's are loud, the music is chill, and the world doesn't yet know that Michael Jordan will be the greatest basketball player to ever step onto a NBA court. Surrounded by an All-Star cast featuring the likes of Ben Affleck, Chris Tucker, Jason Bateman, and Viola Davis, Damon and Afflect appear to have free rein to do what they do best: craft a great and touching story and they do just that. The story may come as a surprise to some but for those sneakerheads or Jordan obsessed fans (of which I'm a part of), broadly speaking, there's nothing new here except a few minor details. Jordan placed Nike third and wanted to sign with Adidas as he liked their tracksuits and always wore their shoes. However, in an industry changing signing, he would up going with Vaccaro and Nike. And while Michael Jordan (Damian Delano Young) is never properly shown onscreen (only the back of his head is), it's not needed. We know the man and I quite enjoyed not seeing his face as it adds to his mystic. However, while the movie is enjoyable, it's not Affleck's best. I liked it, but didn't love it and the story ran out of stream towards the end when it should have been gaining it unfortunately. Still a very enjoyable film and worthy of your time, but a little disappointed compared to the early reviews I had come across. 6.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1056341
04/13/23 09:27 PM
04/13/23 09:27 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RENFIELD

A story that focuses on the relationship of Dracula (Nicolas Cage) & Renfield (Nicholas Hoult) from Renfield's perspective. Set in the present climate, Renfield regularly attends therapy group sessions in order to deal with his narcissistic boss. In addition, he falls for a local cop he helped rescue from assassination (Awkwafina). Honestly, the world didn't need a story about the Renfield character and this output is exactly why. The story is basic and average while there is zero onscreen chemistry between Hoult and Awkwafina. It's marketed as a horror comedy and the only part they got right was the former because this film is not the latter. The death scenes are obscenely over-the-top with bad CGI blood to go along with it. Let's be honest, the only reason you're seeing it is for Cage's Dracula, which of course he nails because he's Nicholas Cage. At times he seems to be channeling a bit of Castor Troy from FACE/OFF because he appears to be having so much fun. Unfortunately, he and his Dracula are not enough to save this. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1056582
04/16/23 04:34 PM
04/16/23 04:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
CRIME WAVE (1953)

Three escapees from San Quentin (Ted de Corsia, Nedrick Young, Charles Buchinsky aka Bronson) pull off a string of two-bit robberies and murders to mislead the cops as they prepare for a big bank heist. They need Steve Lacey (Gene Nelson), a Quentin parolee living the straight life as an airplane mechanic and pilot, to fly them to Mexico. Lacey refuses, but the bad guys hold his cute wife (Phyllis Kirk), leaving her hostage in the tender care of Timothy (Eternal Lunatic) Carey. Meanwhile, ultra-hardass LAPD Lt. (Sterling Hayden), who's already onto the scheme, tries to force Lacey to rat them out. Director Andre De Toth keeps up the pace and the unbearable pressure on Lacey to build up a first-class film noir with a nice twist at the end. He assembled a choice bunch of plug-uglies and other colorful characters (Dub Taylor, Jay Novello, James Bell), working with a snappy script and giving their all, especially di Corsia, Eternal Thug with Leadership Qualities. Hayden, just about my favorite actor of that era, is perfect for his role. This movie is a little (73 minutes) gem.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057251
04/21/23 04:39 PM
04/21/23 04:39 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Check out Evil Dead Rise. Just a bad ass movie!! If you're an Evil Dead fan, you won't be disappointed. Horror is alive and well ladies and gentlemen!

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1057304
04/22/23 12:40 AM
04/22/23 12:40 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

After the debacle of SUPER MARIO BROS. (1993), I wasn't sure if I wanted this to be animated or live action? Live action is great but you have more freedom in animation. After watching this, it didn't matter to me because I'm just SO happy they hit it out of the park. So many references and it's oozing with Easter eggs throughout. Originally I was a little upset that Luigi was the one being captured and not Peach (for original storyline accuracy's sake) but looking back, I'm glad they didn't relegate Peach to that role as Anya Taylor-Joy who voices Peach is a delight. This is easily one of my favorite video game movies as the team and studio finally got it right. It's fun, for all ages, doesn't overstay it's welcome, and left me wanting more (which I'm already eagerly anticipating a sequel). If you've ever loved any of the Mario games, you're going to love this film! 8.5/10

Thanks Irish, to me the first Mario Bros game on the NES is the best all-time video game.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giacalone] #1057312
04/22/23 02:48 AM
04/22/23 02:48 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacalone
Check out Evil Dead Rise. Just a bad ass movie!! If you're an Evil Dead fan, you won't be disappointed. Horror is alive and well ladies and gentlemen!

Yeah saw it last night. That movie slapped lol.
The original will always be my favorite, but it's unreal how good the 2013 version and this new version are.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #1057318
04/22/23 07:04 AM
04/22/23 07:04 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander
to me the first Mario Bros game on the NES is the best all-time video game.

Oh hell no lol. Ain't nothing better than Vice City. Hell I can think of so many games better than Super Mario

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1057319
04/22/23 07:06 AM
04/22/23 07:06 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

Yeah saw it last night. That movie slapped lol.
The original will always be my favorite, but it's unreal how good the 2013 version and this new version are.

Glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to watch it again

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Hollander] #1057388
04/22/23 07:58 PM
04/22/23 07:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Hollander

Thanks Irish, to me the first Mario Bros game on the NES is the best all-time video game.

My favorite is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the NES. Really hope they make that into a movie next but I know it'll just be Punch-Out and not Mike Tyson's. I think they should pony up the money and include Mike!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057474
04/23/23 01:49 PM
04/23/23 01:49 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
[Linked Image]

It covers a story of addiction after a life changing car accident.
And if that was not bad enough, it gets worse.

3 stars

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057479
04/23/23 03:20 PM
04/23/23 03:20 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Which comedies do you guys love? I think I'll watch something funny tonight

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giacalone] #1057483
04/23/23 05:05 PM
04/23/23 05:05 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly

All these yrs. later , TRADING PLACES always still get's a belly laugh from me..among many others...

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: hoodlum] #1057519
04/24/23 04:52 AM
04/24/23 04:52 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by hoodlum

All these yrs. later , TRADING PLACES always still get's a belly laugh from me..among many others...

Been awhile since I saw Trading Places. Yeah, it's definitely one of the more funnier comedies of the '80s. I thought Jamie Lee was kinda hot during that era lol

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057537
04/24/23 04:20 PM
04/24/23 04:20 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
The Big Lebowski never fails to crack me up.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1057540
04/24/23 04:56 PM
04/24/23 04:56 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
The Big Lebowski never fails to crack me up.

One of the best. Loved Goodman's intensity

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057884
04/27/23 09:21 PM
04/27/23 09:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
BIG GEORGE FOREMAN: THE MIRACULOUS STORY OF THE ONCE AND FUTURE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD

Yes, just like Big George himself, the title reflects the larger-than-life man and his story. A biopic about the former 2-time heavyweight champion of the world and his call to ministry later in life. Khris Davis stars as George and does a wonderful job embodying him. He has the size and physical appearance but also his gentleness as well. Forest Whitaker is the only name most audiences will be firmly with to lend some respectability to the project. Whitaker plays Doc Broadus, a former superior of his in the job corps who is the one who introduces George to the sport, before being his trainer as well. Like any biopic, this film hits the highs and lows, from his fight against Muhammad Ali (Sullivan Jones) to Michael Moorer (Charles Brewer Jr.) on his comeback bid. However, the film is just as much about George's faith as it is about his boxing as he walked away from the ring while still in his prime in order to minister. It's a well-done, heartfelt, and inspirational film that in today's oversensitive and hyper-politicized climate, we could use more of. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1057888
04/27/23 10:11 PM
04/27/23 10:11 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
No one hit harder than Big George

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1058017
04/29/23 12:20 PM
04/29/23 12:20 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Great review i12

Thanks, will try to catch that this rainy weekend.

Right now streaming The new Scream

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1058018
04/29/23 12:24 PM
04/29/23 12:24 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
SCREAM VI

The 4 survivors of SCREAM (2022) have all relocated to New York: Tara (Jenna Ortega), Mindy (Jasmin Savoy Brown), and Chad (Mason Gooding) to attend college while Sam (Melissa Barrera) attempts to keep an eye on her baby sister. As with any sequel, the audience knows what to expect: bigger body count, more gruesome murders, etc. and although the level of violence is turned up, I don't believe it's done in a gratuitous way. As last year's Scream followed the original, this gave off a very SCREAM 2 vibe other than just the story taking place outside of Woodsboro. Overall, I'm more satisfied with this entry than I was with last year's; however, this was the first and only Scream I was able to figure out who the killer(s) was before the halfway point (which was a let down). And my biggest grip with this is the reasoning for his/her/their killing spree as it yet again comes off light. As you can guess, the film leaves itself open to a third entry, which now will probably come in a few short years because the basic rule of any horror franchise is quantity over quality. With the exception of the opening kill scene, which has a nice and new hook to it, everything else here is again regurgitated. 7/10

Wow, a 7.

We are watching now and enjoying, looks like they did a good job on this one.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1058539
05/04/23 09:33 PM
05/04/23 09:33 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

The band's back together for one final ride, this time in search of The High Evolutionary (Chukwudi Iwuji) who created Rocket in order to save Rocket's life. Vol. 3 follows the same formula we've grown accustomed to from director James Gunn & Marvel: sweet soundtrack, banter throughout, and a film with a lot of heart. This was a beautiful goodbye from Gunn and the cast to these characters and Marvel and it was very nicely executed. This is hands down the best Marvel release since 2021's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, but yet again I have to take issue with the runtime. Recently Marvel has been pushing the runtimes more and more with their releases but for my money they begin to overstay their welcome after the 2 hours and 10 to 2 hours and 15 minute mark (this comes in at 2 hours and 30 minutes even). Another grip I had with the film was the portrayal of Adam Warlock by Will Poulter. I very much enjoy the actor but his character comes off incredibly weak. Yes, he's incredibly powerful but the man behind those powers is a mama's boy and could have come off so much stronger (but that might be dipping into the "toxic masculinity" waters according to some). Overall, this is a very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and I'm curious what the future holds for any or all of these characters. 7/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1058666
05/06/23 08:25 PM
05/06/23 08:25 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE

8 environmental activists from various parts of the country (California, Oregon, North Dakota, and Texas) meet in West Texas in order to, as the title suggests, blow up a pipeline. They believe the only way to get attention to their cause (fighting climate change and protecting the environment) is to make a statement with their actions as opposed to their words. I'll start out by stating I was impressed and a little shocked actually the film was not preachy in any sense. The writers and characters don't mock individuals or audience members who do not believe in their cause (so the film is very watchable from that perspective). It's told with the group meeting up to carry out their mission, while their backstory and how they came to find themselves in this situation, told through various flashbacks. Also, the film had a wide range of actors from various backgrounds so again, it's not another "white man bad/oppressor" even though the word oppressor does sneak its way in at one point. A decent enough story that had me curious from the original trailer but overall, doesn't do anything to move the needle. Seemed more of a voyeur type film. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1059090
05/11/23 09:46 PM
05/11/23 09:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
BLACKBERRY

Yes, the phone everyone had before the iPhone. I never owned one myself and didn't know too much about the company, other than they're no longer around. The film chronicles the rise and fall of the empire and stars Glenn Howerton as co-CEO Jim Balsillie, Jay Baruchel as fellow co-CEO/co-founder Mike Lazaridis, and Matt Johnson as co-founder Douglas Fregin. The film opens with Mike & Doug pitching their product (then called Phone Link) to Jim. Being preoccupied with another deal he himself is trying to close, Jim blows off the 2 entrepreneurs. However, when Jim is unable to close his deal and is out of a job, he decides to go in with the partners for 50% of the company with Jim being the salesman and Mike & Doug being the techs. The relationship worked well until the networks they were on weren't able to keep up with the amount of Blackberry users data they were consuming. This was their first issue and then Apple came into the marketplace and we all know what happened from there. Glenn Howerton and Jay Baruchel both deserve the most credit for making this film as enjoyable as it was. Howerton is the constant, fiery, takes a lot of risks, alpha male; wheres Baruchel is the painfully shy, unsure of himself, socially awkward but technically genius partner. And while the film didn't drag for me, for those who may find it so, Howerton has enough fire in his belly to keep you awake, engaged, and entertained. 6.5/10

Page 84 of 91 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull