GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 259 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,845
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,344
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The most powerful of these five Gambino Capos #1056075
04/10/23 07:41 PM
04/10/23 07:41 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

The five men listed below were all top Gambino Family capo-regimes during Carlo Gambino's tenure as boss of the family.

Who, in your opinion, was the most important and respected of these five mafiosi?

Starting with letter A, list them in the order of their overall power, respect, and importance. With letter A being the most powerful, down to letter E, as the least powerful.

A) Salvatore (Toddo Aurello) Avarello
B) Vincent (Jimmy the Blond) Corrao
C) Rosario (Charlie Brush) Dongarra
D) Carmine (Charlie Wagon Wheels) Fatico
E) Ettore (Terry) Zappi

Last edited by NYMafia; 04/14/23 05:52 AM.
Re: Who was the most powerful of these Caporegimes? [Re: NYMafia] #1056132
04/10/23 10:57 PM
04/10/23 10:57 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
A) Rosario Dongarra
B) Ettore Zappi
C) Salvatore Aurello
D) Carmine Fatico
E) Vincent Corrao

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Who was the most powerful of these Caporegimes? [Re: NYMafia] #1056141
04/11/23 06:01 AM
04/11/23 06:01 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Ok Giacomo, I can see you thinking on this.

Anybody else care to give an opinion?

Re: Who was the most powerful of these Caporegimes? [Re: NYMafia] #1056148
04/11/23 08:45 AM
04/11/23 08:45 AM
B
Big_Tuna93 Offline
Capo
Big_Tuna93  Offline
B
Capo
A.) Ettore Zappi
B.) Carmine Fatico
C.) Toddo Aurello
D.) Rosario Dongarra
E.) Vincent Corrao

Re: Who was the most powerful of these Caporegimes? [Re: NYMafia] #1056329
04/13/23 06:09 PM
04/13/23 06:09 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

MY OPINIONS FOR THIS POLL:

The fact that each of these five men were elevated to a rank of “capo di decina” and given a contingent of soldiers and associates to oversee, I think speaks volumes about their perceived capabilities and dedication to boss Carlo Gambino himself to have even been chosen for such a position to begin with. In a sense, these appointments speak for themselves.

And in their own way, each of these mafiosi were accomplished enough to be considered for that role within the Gambino Family hierarchy.

That said, I do have my personal opinions as to who would, in my mind at least, rank accordingly from first through fifth, letters (A) to (E) on this list.

So, like the man once said, “Here goes nothing.” Lol

A) Ettore (Terry) Zappi. This man, although Napolitano by birth, was one of the closest and most trusted aides to Carlo Gambino for decades. They were so close in fact, that Terry and Carlo purchased private homes together directly next door to one another, on Club Drive, in the upscale oceanfront community of Massapequa, L.I. Zappi was a very low-key guy who oversaw a large crew. But he, himself, specialized in labor-union racketeering for the borgata and controlled a huge loan-sharking business. The man never served time to speak of behind bars, and until his later years he was also a virtual unknown to law enforcement. Legitimate interests included the famous Castro Convertible Company, Bobby Rubino’s Famous Ribs franchise, and extensive real estate holdings. His son Tony headed Teamsters Local #854. Zappi was a multimillionaire many times over.

Note: The next four men are separate, but considered almost equal to me for different reasons. But I had to rank them. So I did so the best I could….

B) Rosario (Charlie Brush) Dongarra. A Sicilian, he was another very low-keyed capo who oversaw one of the Family’s larger crews Downtown Manhattan. A highly respected old-timer, who, in his younger days, was reportedly a top-contract killer for the borgata. He died relatively young, but while he was alive he helped control the Gambino Family’s extensive Manhattan and Bronx based rackets. Dongarra is also suspected to have been a major heroin trafficker.

C) Vincent (Jimmy the Blond) Corrao. Another very respected old-timer from the Mulberry Street section of New York’s Little Italy. Corrao controlled many operations in Downtown New York, including floating crap games, Ziganette games, policy rackets, and narcotics (heroin) trafficking. He also headed a large and deadly crew. His sons were later inducted into the ranks under his sponsorship. Corrao held a documented ownership as well as hidden interests in several lucrative trucking companies.

D) Carmine (Charlie Wagons) Fatico. Based out of the East New York section of Brooklyn, Fatico and his kid brother Danny headed a very large and deadly crew of truck hijackers, thieves, bookmakers, shylocks, and other varied hoodlums. He was more of a street hoodlum type of capo who operated from the infamous Bergin Hunt & Fish Club. And of course, the Gotti brothers and several other young hoodlums who later made a name for themselves were known to have come up under his tutelage. Fatico is thought to have held a piece of several businesses, but Fatico himself was not a business-oriented guy. He was strictly a hoodlum.

E) Salvatore (Toddo Aurello) Avarello. This man’s current notoriety is largely due to one of his early minions, Sammy Gravano, having turned FBI informant in later years and speaking about who Avarello was. But in truth, during his long career, “Toddo Aurello” was a near shadow to the general public and to law enforcement alike. The police knew him. Yet, his low-key style mostly kept him below law enforcement’s radar. He headed a Brooklyn crew active in gambling, shylocking, hijacking and thefts. Probably his biggest claim to fame is the suspicion that he was one of the primary shooters who got the contract to kill rebel faction leader (and Carlo Gambino rival) Tommy Rava. This murder that helped pave the way for Gambino’s smooth transition to the boss seat.
-
The bottom line is that I truly believe Ettore Zappi was a first among equals as far as capos go. And judging from the way boss Carlo Gambino always kept him, in particular, so very close to him though the years. I suspect that Carlo felt the same exact way.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull