Charles Sobhraj was a jewel thief, smuggler, and trader, He was also a serial killer. He was the subject of the 1970's book Serpentine. A more recent book on his was the basis for the Netflix series The Serpent. He is said to have killed over 20 people in order to rob them. Since he traveled through Europe and Asia, and while in prison still had money and jewelry smuggled into him, I can't understand how he is not considered or talked about as part of an organized crime ring. His crimes that get he most attention are his murders of European toursits all through the 1970's. It is acknowledged that he had a small gang that he changed on occasion, but what about ties to bigger groups? I was hoping a few of the more educated on international crime who post here would know a few answers to this.

The smuggling of jewelry to him on a constant basis while he was in prison points to it. He was openly bribing guards in every prison he was sent to. The other thing is the times he moved large amounts of stolen jewels, one of his first big crimes was a million dollar diamond robbery that he pulled off alone. I was hoping a few of the more educated on international crime who post here would know a few answers to this question too.

Last edited by jace; 04/10/23 11:35 AM.