GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 63 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,385
Posts1,059,733
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia #1049652
01/26/23 01:39 PM
01/26/23 01:39 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Over time people learn from their mistakes. This can apply to the mob as well and whoever is involved in it.

So today lets list something in your opinion that doesn't really happen anymore compared to previous generations.

Last edited by RushStreet; 01/26/23 01:39 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049653
01/26/23 01:47 PM
01/26/23 01:47 PM
UsA
M
Mafia101 Offline
Underboss
Mafia101  Offline
M
Underboss
UsA
Well murder is the biggest one.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Mafia101] #1049656
01/26/23 02:00 PM
01/26/23 02:00 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Mafia101
Well murder is the biggest one.

Thats not creative enough. Lets get some answers that go deeper than that.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049661
01/26/23 03:20 PM
01/26/23 03:20 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member
Organized crime in The US honestly doesn't exist anymore. What we are seeing now are simply crews of crooks with little power and influence trying to hold on to dreams of old.

Businesses won't be shaken down by these guys anymore, they can't kill anyone and get away with it anymore, labor unions and construction are not going to kick back anything to a crew of nobodies who can't intimidate like they once did.

RICO, technology and the snitch culture makes it nearly impossible for a criminal organization to operate long enough to become a force to be reckoned with.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049662
01/26/23 03:22 PM
01/26/23 03:22 PM
GangstersInc Offline
Underboss
GangstersInc  Offline
Underboss
Killing snitches.

The best website about global organized crime & the Mafia: http://www.gangstersinc.org - Since 2001 - Want to write for us? Drop me a DM/mail!
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Iceveins] #1049667
01/26/23 03:52 PM
01/26/23 03:52 PM
UsA
M
Mafia101 Offline
Underboss
Mafia101  Offline
M
Underboss
UsA
Originally Posted by Iceveins
Organized crime in The US honestly doesn't exist anymore. What we are seeing now are simply crews of crooks with little power and influence trying to hold on to dreams of old.

Businesses won't be shaken down by these guys anymore, they can't kill anyone and get away with it anymore, labor unions and construction are not going to kick back anything to a crew of nobodies who can't intimidate like they once did.

RICO, technology and the snitch culture makes it nearly impossible for a criminal organization to operate long enough to become a force to be reckoned with.

Lol what?? You realize there was just a massive construction kickback scheme that funneled hundreds of thousands to mobsters just last week lol outside of bookmaking and loansharking construction is probably the biggest money maker for them still and they're rooted deeply in the industry. Business extortions are still a popular racket too.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Iceveins] #1049670
01/26/23 04:37 PM
01/26/23 04:37 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

-
Most of what you said Iceveins is true. But as Mafia101 stated, and last week's big mob-related construction indictment, as well as, several other construction bid-rig cases over the last year or so have proven, the mob is still firmly entrenched in the construction industry. Although, not nearly as pervasively as in years back when they held ironclad control over dozen of construction-oriented labor unions and labor officials.
In fact, "construction" per se, is one of the very very few legitimate industries the mob still exerts a measure of control over.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Mafia101] #1049671
01/26/23 04:51 PM
01/26/23 04:51 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member

Lol what?? You realize there was just a massive construction kickback scheme that funneled hundreds of thousands to mobsters just last week lol outside of bookmaking and loansharking construction is probably the biggest money maker for them still and they're rooted deeply in the industry. Business extortions are still a popular racket too.
I read about that and it's a totally different construction scheme than the mob used to run. They were basically using their own inside guys to steer subcontractors to their moles and then taking a kickback on top of it, which is not even extortion as much as it is an inside scam. It wasn't "You HAVE to do this or else", it was "Let's make them think our guys are their best option." That type of scheme happens every day in construction circles all over the The US but as the mob tends to do, they overdid it, got greedy and got caught.

Last edited by Iceveins; 01/26/23 05:15 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: NYMafia] #1049672
01/26/23 05:11 PM
01/26/23 05:11 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member
Originally Posted by NYMafia

-
Most of what you said Iceveins is true. But as Mafia101 stated, and last week's big mob-related construction indictment, as well as, several other construction bid-rig cases over the last year or so have proven, the mob is still firmly entrenched in the construction industry. Although, not nearly as pervasively as in years back when they held ironclad control over dozen of construction-oriented labor unions and labor officials.
In fact, "construction" per se, is one of the very very few legitimate industries the mob still exerts a measure of control over.
Well yes but since they still have so many people in construction is why they got busted, this was a scam ring with many people involved, they weren't muscling in on contracts with influence and intimidation like they once did. You can find this same kind of thing happening in every state, construction will ALWAYS be a business where people try to cut corners or do what they can to get contracts.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Iceveins] #1049673
01/26/23 05:22 PM
01/26/23 05:22 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

-
Well yes but since they still have so many people in construction is why they got busted, this was a scam ring with many people involved, they weren't muscling in on contracts with influence and intimidation like they once did. You can find this same kind of thing happening in every state, construction will ALWAYS be a business where people try to cut corners or do what they can to get contracts.

Iceveins, you are 100% correct. NO, you are 101% correct!

What "passes" for construction racketeering today, was but a bleep on the mob's radar screen decades back. Essentially, what they do today is "inflate" bids, and/or steer bids, toward friendly contractors. Ya DON'T have to be in the Mafia to do that. Even in NYC.

Sucker companies have been doing that foreverrrrrrr!

Years back? The mob exerted pivotal control over dozens of construction-related labor unions; laborers, concrete workers, carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers, electricians, drywall, roofers, excavation, demolition removal, etc., etc., all over NYC, all over the entire country in fact!

Straight-out extortion, sweetheart contracts, union pension fund embezzlements, padding payrolls, bloated expense accounts, selling union membership books, dictating and installing the actual union officials to their posts in various labor locals - from the president on down, kickbacks or every shape and size from vendors and anyone doing business within those sub-industries ie; building supplies, etc.

They had an absolute field day!...For many, many decades.

Today? Thats not the case...Not even close!

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: NYMafia] #1049675
01/26/23 05:31 PM
01/26/23 05:31 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member

-

Iceveins, you are 100% correct. NO, you are 101% correct!

What "passes" for construction racketeering today, was but a bleep on the mob's radar screen decades back. Essentially, what they do today is "inflate" bids, and/or steer bids, toward friendly contractors. Ya DON'T have to be in the Mafia to do that. Even in NYC.

Sucker companies have been doing that foreverrrrrrr!

Years back? The mob exerted pivotal control over dozens of construction-related labor unions; laborers, concrete workers, carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers, electricians, drywall, roofers, excavation, demolition removal, etc., etc., all over NYC, all over the entire country in fact!

Straight-out extortion, sweetheart contracts, union pension fund embezzlements, padding payrolls, bloated expense accounts, selling union membership books, dictating and installing the actual union officials to their posts in various labor locals - from the president on down, kickbacks or every shape and size from vendors and anyone doing business within those sub-industries ie; building supplies, etc.

They had an absolute field day!...For many, many decades.

Today? Thats not the case...Not even close!
I couldn't have said it any better if I tried! Bravo, you nailed exactly what I was trying to convey better than I conveyed it. Construction is a business that has many different ways to walk a legal tightrope and just as many ways that straight up break the law, hence why I say you can't label an insider construction scheme like what just occurred as organized crime.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049676
01/26/23 06:32 PM
01/26/23 06:32 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Iceveins,

Organized crime, in the "tradition" sense that we know and discuss it? No! But the fact that "connected" guys whether or not they themselves are, in fact, "members" of the Mafia, are involved in criminal acts within the construction industry, with construction companies, does indeed turn this "general" business fraud case, into an "organized crime" related indictment. That is a fact!

But as I stated earlier, I understand where you're coming from with this, and I completely agree with you. This is NOT "traditional" mob activity. Even what passed for "traditional" construction racket activity years back.

But like everything else in life, nowadays the mob is attempting to "adjust" to the current times and conditions out there in the marketplace...Can you really blame them?

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: NYMafia] #1049678
01/26/23 06:54 PM
01/26/23 06:54 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member
Iceveins,

Organized crime, in the "tradition" sense that we know and discuss it? No! But the fact that "connected" guys whether or not they themselves are, in fact, "members" of the Mafia, are involved in criminal acts within the construction industry, with construction companies, does indeed turn this "general" business fraud case, into an "organized crime" related indictment. That is a fact!

But as I stated earlier, I understand where you're coming from with this, and I completely agree with you. This is NOT "traditional" mob activity. Even what passed for "traditional" construction racket activity years back.

But like everything else in life, nowadays the mob is attempting to "adjust" to the current times and conditions out there in the marketplace...Can you really blame them?
It was indeed a crime which was organized...maybe we can agree that while there are still organized crimes which take place, it's nearly impossible nowadays for an organization to operate as a criminal enterprise engaging in a broad spectrum of crimes for a period of time long enough to be considered a viable organized crime entity.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049679
01/26/23 07:06 PM
01/26/23 07:06 PM
UsA
M
Mafia101 Offline
Underboss
Mafia101  Offline
M
Underboss
UsA
Right because the 5 families aren't doing exactly that

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049683
01/26/23 07:18 PM
01/26/23 07:18 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Maybe less about what they don’t do and more about avoiding attention? Easier said than done to be sure.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Mafia101] #1049690
01/26/23 07:26 PM
01/26/23 07:26 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member
Right because the 5 families aren't doing exactly that
Don't forget I said "to be considered a viable organized crime entity". They can do these white collar crimes and construction schemes all they want but FEDs don't view what's left of the 5 Families as being a real threat anymore. The same can be said of the Triad, the Russian Mafia and Israeli Mafias, they've all been crushed.

Organized crime is a more serious problem on the internet than anywhere else. Groups running global cryptocurrency schemes probably rake in 50x more a year than all of America's mafia families combined.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049691
01/26/23 07:29 PM
01/26/23 07:29 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
I strongly disagree with you, the 5 Families are operating as viable criminal entities, and people like you give the government too much credit. The feds really ain't as badass as bootlickers like you would lead people to believe.

Last edited by Liggio; 01/26/23 07:30 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Liggio] #1049705
01/26/23 08:13 PM
01/26/23 08:13 PM
I
Iceveins Offline
Made Member
Iceveins  Offline
I
Made Member
Originally Posted by Liggio
I strongly disagree with you, the 5 Families are operating as viable criminal entities, and people like you give the government too much credit. The feds really ain't as badass as bootlickers like you would lead people to believe.
You definitely sound like a gangster....and not the real life kind.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049707
01/26/23 08:32 PM
01/26/23 08:32 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
No doubt, but in all seriousness, it hasn't declined as bad as people make it out to be. Lots of guys have recently been made, and trust me, sooner or later, the feds will begin treating them as viable criminal entities again. That's how they get funding for organized crime cases, otherwise they might as well faze out the entire organized crime division. They're just focused elsewhere right now.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049732
01/27/23 07:11 AM
01/27/23 07:11 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Another things is to have relations with the mafia in italy.
For sure the Gambinos in Palermo and DeCavalcantes in Ribera butbthe other families?
I dont think that they must turn to import zips but have common bussinesses in drug traffick and maybe try to made deals with the ndrangheta,that is the top dog in italy underworld.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049753
01/27/23 01:03 PM
01/27/23 01:03 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
In all fairness, Iceveins makes a very solid point. And that one doesn't only ring true for the USA. I'd even go as far as saying that for any First World nation "organized crime" as we once knew it is done.

Is "organized criminal activity" still happening as we speak? Of course it is. Illegal drugs are still being brought in and sold, people are still taking illegal bets and loans, girls are still being forced into prostitution, people are still being extorted, etc... That will never go away. There'll always be people willing to choose that path and wherever there's a pervasive history of organized criminal activity there'll always be younger guys wanting to follow the footsteps of their predecessors. Doesn't matter how many other opportunities are available.

However, can you truthfully say that the imprint of criminal organizations is still as far reaching, still as influential when it comes to the social dynamics, still as ingrained in the very fabric of a city...as it once was? I highly doubt it.

In NYC, do you still see wiseguys openly being treated as royalty in any historic Italian American neighborhood? Can you still spot a vibrant social club?
Can you show me where to spot the Russian/Ukrainian/Jewish gangsters in Brighton Beach?

And even when we're not talking about the USA;
London for instance was well known for having big time crime families that wielded power over their manor and had the local police on their payroll. Everybody knew their faces, everybody knew who the local "hard men" were and locals came to them when they were in need of something. Much like the mafia. That kind of visible out-in-the-open interaction between "civilians" and "gangsters" isn't there anymore. And you can make the same case for Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Nottingham...for that matter.
In Hong Kong in the 90's you used to have neighborhoods and markets where Triad members were openly running things. I was in Hong Kong a few years ago in those very neighborhoods and Triad members were nowhere to be seen.
In Tokyo or Kobe the Yakuza has become a ghostly presence much like LCN has become on the East Coast.
In Amsterdam local underworld figures used to associate in tourist areas. Not anymore.
Hamburg, Copenhagen, Stockholm...all used to be the decor of property visibly and openly owned by outlaw motorcycle gangs. That's not the case today.

Forget about the first world.
If you've been to Moscow in the last ten years even in a notoriously corrupt country like Russia it's clear that it's not the 90's anymore. You don't have Russian, Chechen, Georgian, Armenian or Azerbaijani gangsters ruling their respective communities with an iron fist any longer. They're completely out of the public view.
In Turkey you don't have people kissing the rings of their Black Sea or Kurdish "babas" in public anymore like they used to in the 80's and 90's.

None of those group mentioned above completely disappeared, but all of them basically had to go underground. The pervasive control and influence over their respective areas has waned. You can see underworld figures being on the run every day. Gangsters have a solid run of a few years, get nicked, get out, repeat. These days they're not the larger than life characters they used to be. Not even in the most "ghetto"-like areas out there. Of course criminal organizations still exist, but they're getting busted all the time.

It's not worth it anymore. It's over.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049756
01/27/23 01:36 PM
01/27/23 01:36 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
Lol because it's not visible it's not there anymore, what a stupid fucking waste of several paragraphs.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Liggio] #1049757
01/27/23 01:41 PM
01/27/23 01:41 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Liggio
Lol because it's not visible it's not there anymore, what a stupid fucking waste of several paragraphs.

Where exactly did I say that it's not "there anymore"? Maybe you just skipped over the "stupid fucking waste of a paragraph" where I stated;

"Is "organized criminal activity" still happening as we speak? Of course it is." and "None of those groups mentioned above completely disappeared, but all of them basically had to go underground."

Of course they're still there, but if you actually claim that it's the same it used to be, you just show that you never actually dealt with anyone involved in organized crime.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049759
01/27/23 01:54 PM
01/27/23 01:54 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
Actually, if you look all throughout the Mafia’s history, you will see boom and bust cycles. There were decades when they were all-powerful, followed by years of not-so-powerful, and periods of being so far from power they were considered dead, to returning to far greater power than ever before. Of course in America, or really anywhere, they can't be as bold and out in the open as before. But they're not supposed to be! They're SUPPOSED to be invisible. It's supposed to be a world where those who know, know, those who don't, don't. The fact that they were as open as you mentioned is what brought them so many problems to begin with.

Last edited by Liggio; 01/27/23 01:55 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049760
01/27/23 03:05 PM
01/27/23 03:05 PM
UsA
M
Mafia101 Offline
Underboss
Mafia101  Offline
M
Underboss
UsA
When?

The only time they were considered dead were the 1990s to today. That is obviously not the case but I have no idea what you're talking about when you say in the mafia's history there's decades when they were all-powerful, followed by years of not-so-powerful, and periods of being so far from power they were considered dead, to returning to far greater power than ever before

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049761
01/27/23 03:06 PM
01/27/23 03:06 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Just start your own crew. Walk around with a couple Super Bowl square sheets see how many guys you can get to buy them. Sell each square for $25 then when they want their $$$ charge them interest.

You can play pretend.

Last edited by RushStreet; 01/27/23 04:17 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049763
01/27/23 03:11 PM
01/27/23 03:11 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
I'm talking about the Mafia in Sicily, because he started talking about other countries. And you're one of the main ones on here talking about them still being alive, I'm surprised that you agree with him. Or you just trying to pick a fight?

Last edited by Liggio; 01/27/23 03:38 PM.
Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049768
01/27/23 04:02 PM
01/27/23 04:02 PM
UsA
M
Mafia101 Offline
Underboss
Mafia101  Offline
M
Underboss
UsA
It's not picking a fight when you're questioned on some wack claim you stated. If you were talking about Italy okay but that's not the way I read it.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: RushStreet] #1049778
01/27/23 04:59 PM
01/27/23 04:59 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
It's fine bud, but yes I think the Sicilian Mafia is the perfect textbook example of how a criminal organization can rise and fail just to rise and fall again. For all the talk of their downfall, they might not be at their peak, but they're far from their worse. Their worst years were probably the Mussolini days, and I believe the 1950s or 60s one of those decades was pretty rough too. Compared to those time periods, Cosa Nostra is doing pretty well.

Re: Things that just don't happen anymore in the mafia [Re: Liggio] #1049789
01/27/23 06:00 PM
01/27/23 06:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Honoring and observing omerta just doesn't happen anymore.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull