GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 47 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,680
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038403
08/08/22 07:20 PM
08/08/22 07:20 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
There is Michael Franzese similar to Michael Corleone, college dropout turned gangster but his life was colorful not legitimate!

I don't think there was any older brother stepped over situation in real life

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038422
08/09/22 05:03 AM
08/09/22 05:03 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
let him banging cocktail waitresses two at a time!

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Capri] #1038543
08/11/22 12:06 AM
08/11/22 12:06 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
You are not wrong! Capri the best option for Fredo, in hind sight, make a deal with Greene and let Fredo continue banging cocktail waitresses two at a time!

Whilst Vito could have guided, mentored, nurtured and embraced Fredo, Fredo still would have been a bad Don not dissimilar to Sonny for different reasons, nothing but the Donship would have sufficed for Fredo as we saw during Fredo's boathouse outburst

Perhaps some sort of consigliere role - an elder statesman - under the watchful eye of Tom....

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038588
08/11/22 06:35 PM
08/11/22 06:35 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lana

Perhaps some sort of consigliere role - an elder statesman - under the watchful eye of Tom....

This might, just might work Something important not just a living

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038595
08/12/22 12:03 AM
08/12/22 12:03 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man – Vito take note!

Vito not foreseeing the problems that arose in giving “I could be doing a lot more for the Family” Carlo, a living, not something important

Vito had such contempt for Carlo yet let Carlo marry his only daughter?
Then treat Carlo like an outcast “Give him a living but never discuss the Family business with him”

Vito doing nothing when disgruntled Carlo was beating up Connie even when Connie was pregnant
Vito was instrumental in Sonny getting killed, rushing to Connie's aid due to Vito's inaction

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038678
08/13/22 08:27 PM
08/13/22 08:27 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
What could Vito have done to steer his children away from a life of crime, for them to try and live as normal lives as possible instead of always having to kill or be killed

He could have handed over the business to Clemenza and Tessio with tribute kicked up to him
Still wealth beyond, with all the money laundered through Genco Olive Oil and stashed away, in addition to the tribute pouring in

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038680
08/13/22 09:12 PM
08/13/22 09:12 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Originally Posted by Evita
What could Vito have done to steer his children away from a life of crime, for them to try and live as normal lives as possible instead of always having to kill or be killed

He could have handed over the business to Clemenza and Tessio with tribute kicked up to him
Still wealth beyond, with all the money laundered through Genco Olive Oil and stashed away, in addition to the tribute pouring in

Just my opinion,but as we know,Tessio is an ambitious snake.
So what's to stop Clemenza and Tessio ,after being given control of the Corleone Business from telling Vito "what tribute?"
Without his crew,which would now belong to 2 outsiders,Vito has no choice but to shut up and take it,especially since his kids have been steered away from the rackets.
He goes full time in the olive oil business and his legitimate investments for income.
Then a couple years goes by,and Tessio whacks his "good friend" Clemenza to gain sole control of the whole shebang.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lou_Para] #1038689
08/13/22 10:17 PM
08/13/22 10:17 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
True Lou but Tessio wouldn't dare try anything with Luca around

Well, Vito needs him He helps him get in and out of the car. Carry his briefcase

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lou_Para] #1038693
08/14/22 12:04 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, for what it is worth!
Tessio was protecting his territories rather than being "an ambitious snake"

Tessio should have had more faith in his Don/s and trusted their judgement

I believe, Tessio only became a "snake" because Tessio felt Michael would be no good as Don even though Michael kept reassuring including -
Be patient There are things being negotiated now that are gonna solve all your problems and answer all your questions

always smarter! Tessio jumped what he thought was the Corleones' sinking ship
Barzini's people chisel my territory and we do nothing about it
Pretty soon there won't be one place in Brooklyn I can hang my hat!

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038694
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Extract: He [Vito] could have handed over the business to Clemenza and Tessio with tribute kicked up to him
a la Michael / Pentangeli It could work....

• There is much we can learn from the Great man, Mr Roth [apart from the Pentangeli set up!]

"Something in it for me"
Extract: All Roth wanted was Michael dead exactly what he set out to do and his job done
He goes back to living his retired investor on a pension exactly as he planned
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Yes, Roth's primary goal for the Tahoe attack was to get rid of Michael, who'd been horning in on his gaming empire ever since he returned from Sicily, and to blame it on Pentangeli
Sure thing Evita and Turnbull, getting rid of Michael was indeed Roth's overarching goal
However “and to blame it on Pentangeli” was Roth's Achilles heel

Extract: [Roth] sits back and waits for all the Corleones' in-fighting to be over and then perhaps even picks up, the Corleones' business after all the bloodshed
Secondarily, chaos would have ensued among the Corleone survivors--all of it to Roth's advantage. If Pentangeli were killed in revenge, or took it on the lam, the Corleones' NYC muscle would have fallen to the Rosatos, Roth's allies. A power struggle among Rocco, Neri and Fredo would have distracted and weakened the Corleones in Nevada

I believe Roth was not a greedy man but of course if the Corleones' business fell into Roth's lap, Roth will take it Bonus!

At Anthony's party
Ola to Michael: Hyman Roth is the only one left because he always made money for his partners
and the reason, nobody tried to machine gun Roth's bedroom!

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038695
08/14/22 12:05 AM
08/14/22 12:05 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
True Lou but Tessio wouldn't dare try anything with Luca around

Well, Vito needs him He helps him get in and out of the car. Carry his briefcase

Again,just speculation on my part,but once Clem and Tess decided to double cross Vito, Luca would have been the first to go.
They were both street smart and ruthless enough to understand that you always take out the strongest,most loyal bodyguard before you make a move on a Boss.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lou_Para] #1038739
08/14/22 08:02 PM
08/14/22 08:02 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Valid point Lou if Luca is taken out, you are right, they're in a lot of trouble, believe you. A lot of trouble.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038751
08/15/22 04:37 AM
08/15/22 04:37 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man – Vito take note!

Vito not foreseeing the problems that arose in giving “I could be doing a lot more for the Family” Carlo, a living, not something important

Vito had such contempt for Carlo yet let Carlo marry his only daughter?
Then treat Carlo like an outcast “Give him a living but never discuss the Family business with him”

Vito doing nothing when disgruntled Carlo was beating up Connie even when Connie was pregnant
Vito was instrumental in Sonny getting killed, rushing to Connie's aid due to Vito's inaction

no time for family too busy with business

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038805
08/16/22 12:27 AM
08/16/22 12:27 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Extract: Wonder whether there are any older brother stepped over situation and if so how it panned out, in real life? Thanks
There is Michael Franzese similar to Michael Corleone, college dropout turned gangster but his life was colorful not legitimate!

I don't think there was any older brother stepped over situation in real life

Whilst doing a Search for something, I stumbled across the below thread and Turnbull's post of 27 July 2006
Looks like nothing much has changed!

could some please like give me a list of characters to real life mobsters
Extract: No Fit:
Michael Corleone No son ever succeeded his father as Don, much less surpassed his father
But: Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno was being groomed as his father’s successor until the “Banana Wars” caused his father’s retirement and Bill’s imprisonment on credit card fraud charges. Also: John Gotti designated his son as Don, but Junior wasn’t even able to run a phone-card scam successfully, was not accepted by many factions in the Family, and is in trouble with the law
No wonder Tessio was not impressed!

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038911
08/17/22 08:06 PM
08/17/22 08:06 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Interesting So only the Corleones had their son as father’s successor

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1038971
08/19/22 12:05 AM
08/19/22 12:05 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
I wonder where Puzo got this idea of father-son successor if "No son ever succeeded his father as Don" [Godfather] "much less surpassed his father" [Godfather Part 2 and perhaps 3] in real Life

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1038999
08/19/22 09:12 AM
08/19/22 09:12 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I wonder where Puzo got this idea of father-son successor if "No son ever succeeded his father as Don" [Godfather] "much less surpassed his father" [Godfather Part 2 and perhaps 3] in real Life

I don't think it's a mafia novel at heart. With Stracci and Cuneo placed away from New York City and minimized to almost nothing, what you have are three warring kingdoms set against a mafia backdrop.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: mustachepete] #1039011
08/19/22 03:43 PM
08/19/22 03:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by mustachepete

I don't think it's a mafia novel at heart. With Stracci and Cuneo placed away from New York City and minimized to almost nothing, what you have are three warring kingdoms set against a mafia backdrop.

I agree that GF Trilogy and the novel are not about the Mafia per se. I put it a bit differently: GF is a saga about a family, with the Mafia as a defining milieu. To make an analogy: "Gone With the Wind" isn't a Civil War movie and novel per se, it's a saga about a family with the Civil War as a defining milieu.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039052
08/19/22 08:12 PM
08/19/22 08:12 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
according to Wikipedia
The Godfather is a crime novel by American author Mario Puzo. Originally published in 1969 by G. P. Putnam's Sons, the novel details the story of a fictional Mafia family in New York City (and Long Island), headed by Vito Corleone, the Godfather. The novel covers the years 1945 to 1955 and includes the back story of Vito Corleone from early childhood to adulthood.

The first in a series of novels, The Godfather is noteworthy for introducing Italian words like consigliere, caporegime, Cosa Nostra, and omertà to an English-speaking audience. It inspired a 1972 film of the same name. Two film sequels, including new contributions by Puzo himself, were made in 1974 and 1990.

The Corleone family, one of the Five Families of the New York Mafia, fights the other four families in a brutal war in the years after World War II.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lou_Para] #1039143
08/21/22 12:07 AM
08/21/22 12:07 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Fredo's Life and Treatment
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
I think the big difference between Sonny and Fredo as far as being Don,is that Sonny turned out to be a bad pick in hindsight because of his temper and the emotionally driven decisions he made after taking the reins, but before that,he had the makings to be successful,and was a good choice.
Fredo,on the other hand,was already out of the running,because he was never seen as anything but weak and stupid.
Sonny had the potential to run the Fanily right,whereas Fredo had nothing from the get-go
Exactly Lou Fredo was dismissed as amounting to nothing, all his life, pretty much by everyone indeed
"Fredo had nothing from the get-go" because poor Fredo was never given the chance Boy, oh, Boy didn't Fredo show us all?!

• What did Vito do, to guide, mentor, nurture and embrace his different sons?
Vito's fatherly views! of his sons – Thanks! Pop

Fish tank scene:
I thought -- Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace

Garden scene:
I knew that Santino was going to have to go through all this [even though Santino was a bad Don]
And Fredo -- well -- Fredo was -- well --
But I never -- I never wanted this for you [Michael]

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1039209
08/21/22 07:30 PM
08/21/22 07:30 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
When Michael survived and came back, he could have had a "legitimate future" but Vito dragged him into the criminal business

Vito could have retired, and handed over the reins of the Family then, cut their losses and walked away from Mafia, leaving Clemenza and Tessio in charge but he didn't because he wanted, needed the Corleone family reputation, standing, history etc. to be restored, leaving a murderous legacy for Michael even if it meant dragging his never wanted this for you son as Mob Boss

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1039216
08/22/22 12:08 AM
08/22/22 12:08 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Fredo's Life and Treatment
Ref: Turnbull, Don Cardi, Lou_Para and Evita's 21 August 2022 posts Page 2

• If Michael had been killed in the car bomb in Sicily

Originally Posted by Don Cardi
Turnbull, I agree with all that you say about what would have taken place if Michael had been killed in Italy. But I also believe that some how, in some way, Don Vito would have avenged the killing of Michael and that both Barzini & Tattaglia would have been taken out
Spot on! no matter what, settle all Family business

Whilst Vito would have been "weakened by the shooting and devastated by the loss of two sons" the Corleones' muscle even without Luca Brasi, still formidable with Clemenza and Tessio's crew full strength

My take, for what it is worth!
Vito retains control of the "Olive Oil Business" drinking wine and growing tomatoes
Don Clemenza and Don Tessio kick up monetary tribute

Whilst nothing happens to Carlo as long as Vito's alive because nice guy! Vito won't make his daughter a widow [leave his dirty work for others like he did for Michael to make his sister a widow] Carlo has to answer for Sonny

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1039222
08/22/22 08:28 AM
08/22/22 08:28 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
"Fredo had nothing from the get-go" because poor Fredo was never given the chance Boy, oh, Boy didn't Fredo show us all?!

What did Vito do, to guide, mentor, nurture and embrace his different sons?
Vito's fatherly views! of his sons – Thanks! Pop

I think that it's a premise of both the book and at least the first movie that the sons' qualities are inborn. Michael is not just rational - he's representative of the rational man. He's both guided and bound by his intellect. Likewise, Sonny does his emotional things because he's emotional by nature.

I'll submit that Fredo represents the physical man in the novel. Feed him, sex him, and he's happy. Pointedly, he actually does pretty well for himself in the novel, as he's alive at the end and has a "legitimate" job. Coppola changes that Freddy into the first movie's Fredo, and endows him with his father's "sweet nature." Having assigned Fredo that role, Coppola seems to apply the rule of "nice guys finish last" to him, and just knocks him around for three hours.

Last edited by mustachepete; 08/22/22 08:28 AM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: mustachepete] #1039237
08/22/22 07:11 PM
08/22/22 07:11 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
True Pete Feed him, sex him, just don't step over for his kid brother and he's happy.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Lana] #1039240
08/22/22 07:19 PM
08/22/22 07:19 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Had Michael been killed in Sicily, Vito, weakened by the shooting and devastated by the loss of two sons, still would have had Tess and Clem's loyalties, as well as their formidable regimes. He also would have retained his even more formidable police/political contacts, which the other families needed:

To them, Vito was a beaten man, but they needed his police/political protection. That would give Vito time to think, to plan, to remain the head of the family for several years, as we saw..

As he approached his death, and with Barzini chiseling Corleone territories, I believe he would have counseled Tess and Clem to make their peace with Barzini and go with him, since he would be gone and Fredo couldn't lead them. They might not go for it, but that would be their problem.

Would beaten and weakened Vito still retain his police/political contacts?
You see -- all these people are business men, their loyalty is based on that

If Michael had been killed in the car bomb, would Barzini still chisel Corleone territories?

Tess and Clem hate that goddamn Barzini! can't see them operating under Barzini's thumb
He also would have been suspicious it was a plot by Vito (a la Luca/Tattaglia) to suss out Barz's intentions

Originally Posted by Lou_Para

plus it would disrupt Vito's plans to gradually get out of the crime "business" and retire peacefully.

Don't know Lou He left the legitimacy burden for Michael
I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the string, held by all those -- bigshots. I don't apologize -- that's my life --

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: mustachepete] #1039265
08/23/22 09:44 AM
08/23/22 09:44 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted by mustachepete

I'll submit that Fredo represents the physical man in the novel. Feed him, sex him, and he's happy. Pointedly, he actually does pretty well for himself in the novel, as he's alive at the end and has a "legitimate" job. Coppola changes that Freddy into the first movie's Fredo, and endows him with his father's "sweet nature." Having assigned Fredo that role, Coppola seems to apply the rule of "nice guys finish last" to him, and just knocks him around for three hours.

Murderous Vito "sweet nature." Murdering his brother Fredo "nice guy

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1039307
08/24/22 02:18 AM
08/24/22 02:18 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Would beaten and weakened Vito still retain his police/political contacts?
You see -- all these people are business men, their loyalty is based on that

I

One of the reasons that Vito accumulated great police and political power was that they regarded gambling as a "harmless vice," which made it easy for them to accept bribes to look the other way. Drugs, on the other hand, was "a dirty business,"
Vito also had the unions--a great source of votes and big contributions for politicians. As long as he tetained both rackets, he'd have his cops and politicians eating out of his hand.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039333
08/24/22 08:32 PM
08/24/22 08:32 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Good point they regarded gambling as a "harmless vice,"
Wouldn't all that change when he agreed to provide political protection for "a dirty business,"

Why did Barzini try to kill Michael in Sicily? The killing wouldn't go unavenged

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Evita] #1039357
08/25/22 03:08 AM
08/25/22 03:08 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Good point they regarded gambling as a "harmless vice,"
Wouldn't all that change when he agreed to provide political protection for "a dirty business,"

That's why Vito said no to Sol initially- that his "friends in politics wouldn't be friendly very long if they knew my business was drugs." The novel provides more detail: Sol said at the meeting that he'd use operatives with clean records "so it will be logical for judges to give light sentences." And, after the Commission meeting, Vito told Tom that if the families used "real snowbirds" (meaning guys with drugs arrests) "we'll throw up our hands and say there's nothing we can do" (or some words to that effect). IMO, both Sol and Vito were deluding themselves about drug operatives with "clean records" --greed trumps restraint and common sense every time.

Why did Barzini try to kill Michael in Sicily? The killing wouldn't go unavenged

Perhaps he tried to have Michael killed to prevent Michael from eventually avenging Sonny's murder. Then you might ask, why did Barzini agree not to interfere with Michael's return to the US? Because he and the other Dons were greedy for the drugs profits Vito's political protection would open up. They deluded themselves into believing that Michael--who had already shown his stuff by killing Sol and Mac--wouldn't be a threat to them. Greed trumps caution every time.

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039358
08/25/22 05:10 AM
08/25/22 05:10 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
After getting what they wanted all along, why chisel Corleone territories?

Barzini, Tattaglia, Cuneo, Stracci, Greene killing did go unavenged

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull