GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Signor Vitelli), 132 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Archetype of today's American Mobster #1016222
07/17/21 07:32 AM
07/17/21 07:32 AM
LuanKuci Offline OP
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline OP
Underboss
I always get flamed by David Chase fanboys when I say that “The Sopranos” is now outdated.
Here’s what 95% of today’s American mobsters are really like:

- current era Tony Soprano lives in a triple-mortgaged home;

- he heads a “cowboy” crew of heist men, home invaders and hardcore cons who heist dope dealers;

- he never has any money;

- the money he does have he kicks it up, gambles it or it goes up his nose;

- he’s divorced;

- he’s done at least 5 (probably more, like a dozen) years in the pen;

- he’d rat without blinking if facing serious time;

- at least one of his kids has an opioid addiction;

- he’s doing what he does because he came of age in the drought era of LCN and didn’t have the brains or the legit connections to get out of the guinea ghetto;

- his buddies run poker machines in dive bars, keep books and do poorman’s shy;

- the new “generation” are pumped-up gym rats running sleazy strip joints where they pimp the girls out, handle their own security and deal with nickel-dime ops like slinging benzos and oxys;

- he, his buddies and the youth are constantly getting shook down by the higher ups, the 5% ;

- the higher up 5% is basically royalty: wary, nepotist, smug and loaded. Old enough to have benefited from better times, lucky enough to be born into established dynasties, or smart enough to have married into them;

- links overseas and to Canada are privilegedly limited and a massive headache to keep up with.

Bottom line is that American LCN is grimy as hell. All over the place, not just smaller groups like Philly and Boston. And it looks like things are this way in Canada as well. The gap between them and the US has shrunk exponentially in the last decade alone.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016224
07/17/21 08:18 AM
07/17/21 08:18 AM
Word Wide
MolochioInduced Offline
Underboss
MolochioInduced  Offline
Underboss
Word Wide
Thanks for that explanation, it makes a lot more sense for outsiders.

Woodbridge and Montreal in Canada from what I’ve been told, you can still find people that are a lot more like ‘mafiosi’ opposed to what you’re explaining.

Hamilton, however, is a dive, with both the Musitanos dead and the ageing Luppinos, those type of ‘mafiosi’ type are basically gone as well.

“ the new “generation” are pumped-up gym rats running sleazy strip joints where they pimp the girls out, handle their own security and deal with nickel-dime ops like slinging benzos and oxys;”

Basically sounds like the bikers in Canada, is there such an overlap between 1%er and the America Mob?

Do you know what 1%ers in Canada the American mob works with, people say the Hells Angels control Canada, so why wouldn’t the 5Families need to deal with them, especially if they operated in ‘their’ country?

Last edited by MolochioInduced; 07/17/21 08:23 AM. Reason: Grammar

In Sicily, women are more dangerous than the shotgun.
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016229
07/17/21 09:34 AM
07/17/21 09:34 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

The 'prototype' of what a traditional old-time mafioso or racketeer looked like decades back is a far cry from today's 'so-called' mobsters.

From how the dressed and carried themselves, to how they thought, spoke, and acted, is completely alien to what 'passes' for a mob guy nowadays.

Many guys who were technically 'associates' decades ago, were of such a high quality of individual compared to the 'made' guys and even bosses of today, that its a stark contrast in quality and ability.

Many "associates" of yesteryear were more capable and of a better quality (for lack of a better term), than many of the soldiers, capos, and bosses of today. Hence, the current state of the mob.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: NYMafia] #1016233
07/17/21 09:47 AM
07/17/21 09:47 AM
Word Wide
MolochioInduced Offline
Underboss
MolochioInduced  Offline
Underboss
Word Wide
Originally Posted by NYMafia
The 'prototype' of what a traditional old-time mafioso or racketeer looked like decades back is a far cry from today's 'so-called' mobsters.

From how the dressed and carried themselves, to how they thought, spoke, and acted, is completely alien to what 'passes' for a mob guy nowadays.

Many guys who were technically 'associates' decades ago, were of such a high quality of individual compared to the 'made' guys and even bosses of today, that its a stark contrast in quality and ability.

Many "associates" of yesteryear were more capable and of a better quality (for lack of a better term), than many of the soldiers, capos, and bosses of today. Hence, the current state of the mob.

It’s exactly was Andrea Scoppa is talking about in his book, if this is the trend, will the bikers surpass the mob in America, like it apparently has in Canada?

I personally never see that occurring in Europe.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: NYMafia] #1016237
07/17/21 11:14 AM
07/17/21 11:14 AM
S
southshorekid Offline
Made Member
southshorekid  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Absolutely. There are thousands of guys who operated under a flag who’s name would never show up in a place like this. And most of them were stand up guys all the way.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: MolochioInduced] #1016240
07/17/21 11:36 AM
07/17/21 11:36 AM
S
SimonChen Offline
Capo
SimonChen  Offline
S
Capo
Originally Posted by MolochioInduced

Woodbridge and Montreal in Canada from what I’ve been told, you can still find people that are a lot more like ‘mafiosi’ opposed to what you’re explaining.

Hamilton, however, is a dive, with both the Musitanos dead and the ageing Luppinos, those type of ‘mafiosi’ type are basically gone as well.

“ the new “generation” are pumped-up gym rats running sleazy strip joints where they pimp the girls out, handle their own security and deal with nickel-dime ops like slinging benzos and oxys;”

Basically sounds like the bikers in Canada, is there such an overlap between 1%er and the America Mob?

Do you know what 1%ers in Canada the American mob works with, people say the Hells Angels control Canada, so why wouldn’t the 5Families need to deal with them, especially if they operated in ‘their’ country?

Hells Angels control Canada? Italian mafia is still quite powerful in the Canadian east coast or no? I mean from what I heard in the GTA area Ndrangheta is stronger than Hells Angles and in Montreal the mafia was weakened by the internal feud in the recent decade but still a considerable force. American LCN will work with any of these groups before having anything to do with the bikers I think.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016243
07/17/21 12:27 PM
07/17/21 12:27 PM
D
DillyDolly Offline
Underboss
DillyDolly  Offline
D
Underboss
I have to agree with you, the modern American Mafia stopped resembling anything like The Sopranos since the early 2000s, especially since Massino flipped. It's a complete shit show now.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016245
07/17/21 12:34 PM
07/17/21 12:34 PM
S
SimonChen Offline
Capo
SimonChen  Offline
S
Capo
So basically the modern LCN had become more and more like your average street gangs?

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016246
07/17/21 12:39 PM
07/17/21 12:39 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
The Commission Trial was obviously the turning point in a lot of ways. The Mob was still powerful fir the rest of the 80’s and into the early 90’s but the structure had been damaged. The Sopranos took place from 98-2006 and even at that point the mob was much weaker than they used to be. Obviously they they overdramatized a lot of things in the Sopranos in particular the amount of killing occurs g at that period as well as Jersey’s strength

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016247
07/17/21 12:43 PM
07/17/21 12:43 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted by LuanKuci

- links overseas and to Canada are privilegedly limited and a massive headache to keep up with.

Arrest in Torretta few days ago prove that links still exist , especially with Gambinos , some of Gambinos traveled to Sicily. But they did ask for cocaine once they landed in Sicily.

Last edited by Strax; 07/17/21 12:44 PM.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: JCrusher] #1016251
07/17/21 01:05 PM
07/17/21 01:05 PM
D
DillyDolly Offline
Underboss
DillyDolly  Offline
D
Underboss
I've seen enough surveillance photos of the DeCavalcantes to convince me that they did indeed dress that way and were living like that. The thing is that it's NO LONGER that way.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: Strax] #1016252
07/17/21 01:24 PM
07/17/21 01:24 PM
D
DillyDolly Offline
Underboss
DillyDolly  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted by Strax

Arrest in Torretta few days ago prove that links still exist , especially with Gambinos , some of Gambinos traveled to Sicily. But they did ask for cocaine once they landed in Sicily.

Bonannos have been traveling to Sicily in recent years as well

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016260
07/17/21 04:02 PM
07/17/21 04:02 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Interesting thread.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: SimonChen] #1016268
07/17/21 05:23 PM
07/17/21 05:23 PM
LuanKuci Offline OP
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by SimonChen
So basically the modern LCN had become more and more like your average street gangs?

I wouldn’t say that.

The NY5 stand on an undeniable higher pedestal than not only your average street gang, but also a significant number of other criminal organizations in the Tristate area/northeast. Their manpower, connections and diversity of activities keep them extremely relevant.
It’s the percentage of those who make a *great* living through mob activities that has shrunk compared to decades ago. This cannot be unnoticed.
The higher ups I mentioned in my opening post do exist and have the legit connections to make things happen, there’s just much less of them.
The mob “middle class” is the one that suffered the most. They have to hustle for real this time and the booty might not always be worthwhile.
The bottom feeders, on the other hand, have always been animals, nothing really changed there...

Perhaps you could make that argument with certain lower tier families. That said, those small outfits are operating under a larger family (DeCavs under the Gambinos, Philly allegedly under the Genovese) so they can live off and benefit from their handlers’ clout.

As for biker clubs shoving around the American LCN, I don’t think so. Never forget that in Canada (especially Montreal, the Prairies and BC) they have always operated on a higher level than their American “brothers”. America is a much larger playground and I don’t believe that these two criminal subcultures will ever clash as much as it’s happening up north.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016273
07/17/21 07:05 PM
07/17/21 07:05 PM
S
SimonChen Offline
Capo
SimonChen  Offline
S
Capo

As for biker clubs shoving around the American LCN, I don’t think so. Never forget that in Canada (especially Montreal, the Prairies and BC) they have always operated on a higher level than their American “brothers”. America is a much larger playground and I don’t believe that these two criminal subcultures will ever clash as much as it’s happening up north.

I don`t think it's because America is larger. It`s because the mob in Canada plays a big part in international drug trafficking so every criminal organization in the country would have to deal with them. But even then they mostly cooperate and coexist instead of fighting, Ontario and Quebec are actually quite big so there is enough business for both parties.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016275
07/17/21 07:57 PM
07/17/21 07:57 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

LCN and outlaw bikers often associate socially, also many Italian-Americans in the 1% clubs.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016312
07/18/21 11:43 AM
07/18/21 11:43 AM
Word Wide
MolochioInduced Offline
Underboss
MolochioInduced  Offline
Underboss
Word Wide
Originally Posted by MolochioInduced

Hells Angels control Canada? Italian mafia is still quite powerful in the Canadian east coast or no? I mean from what I heard in the GTA area Ndrangheta is stronger than Hells Angles and in Montreal the mafia was weakened by the internal feud in the recent decade but still a considerable force. American LCN will work with any of these groups before having anything to do with the bikers I think.

It’s been stated a couple times on here that the HA are the Top in Canada 🇨🇦, I find it hard to believe as well. I was in Canada right after Rizzuto’s death and all through his incarceration, the Hells Angels I was around and observe were mostly in Ontario. They definitely think and act as if they are #1, they have a bunch of French guys around them all the time, so they definitely give off the vibe that they are in charge.

There was an interesting book written about the province of Ontario, regarding the Outlaw Motorcycle Club, the Hells Angels and the Cops and a war they fought for control of Ontario after the biker war in Quebec. Turns out that the Cops & Hells Angels must of won, now it’s like the Hells Angels and the Cops are on the same team, bikers basically as a whole in Canada 🇨🇦. From my own personal experience that’s the only reason they come off so strong.

I’m in Europe now, practicing my English, I had a serious situation that developed as a result of this in Hamilton in April 2014 that brought me to Montreal in June 2014 (basically same timeline as Verducci and Ducarme Joseph) then, both those places became battlefields, if NYC or any group is working with those type of people hope they consider the above.

Look what happened to the Violis, it sounds like a case of entrapment. What people don’t know is the bikers in Ontario and California which are both HA are involved in setting up the meetings the Violis are getting busted in lol

Then I read this an it explains the bikers in Canada to the ‘letter’

There was also the Panepinto issue with the bikers then and the fact the Michael Cudmore was basically HA Hamilton contract killer, who target Saverio Serrano, the son of Diego Serrano, member of the Ndrangheta. As well, as murdered Angelo Musitano, so from what I’ve lived, at least some of those bikers/cops whatevers think they are definitely the Top in that Ecosystem.

I’m not as familiar with America or NYC, but I assumed that the disrespect the mob gets shown by the bikers in Canada, would never happen in the States, probably because of the less likely of clashing.

Prior to John Papalia’s death and the Musitanos incarceration the mob controlled everything in Ontario and Quebec, that money all flowed to the 5 Families. With the Hells Angels and the Cops defeating the Outlaws in Southern Ontario which were very mob friendly, NYC and the families in Canada have been under attack and making a lot less money. Now they say it’s the bikers and their street gangs that ‘tax’ the mob.

Last edited by MolochioInduced; 07/18/21 11:44 AM. Reason: Grammar

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016316
07/18/21 12:25 PM
07/18/21 12:25 PM
L
Louiebynochi Offline
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline
Banned
L
Underboss
Johnny Papalia was with Buffalo. He answered directly to the Todaros...

Last edited by Louiebynochi; 07/18/21 12:25 PM.

A March 1986 raid on DiBernardo's office seized alleged "child pornography and financial records." As "a result of the Postal Inspectors seizures [a federal prosecutor] is attempting to indict DiBernardo on child pornography violations" according to an FBI memo dated May 20, 1986.
Thousands of pages of FBI Files that document his involvement in Child Porn
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/star-distributors-ltd-46454/
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/0...s-Miporn-investigation-of/7758361252800/
https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1526052/united-states-v-dibernardo/
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: Hollander] #1016331
07/18/21 01:19 PM
07/18/21 01:19 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander
LCN and outlaw bikers often associate socially, also many Italian-Americans in the 1% clubs.

Which clubs have the most Italians by region?

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: Hollander] #1016346
07/18/21 02:20 PM
07/18/21 02:20 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy

Because its more simple to join a biker club that a mob family plus more clubs like the Angels control large drug and gambling rings and in some cases even white collar rackets and in prison have more allies and doesn't pay for protection.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016349
07/18/21 03:27 PM
07/18/21 03:27 PM
L
Louiebynochi Offline
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline
Banned
L
Underboss
Once your made in NY your able to borrow money for between half a point and a point. That should be a guaranteed earn because they can loan it out for 3 points to those who need money in the street quick ... like was said above the middle class really suffered. Even a bum like lefty guns was making 2-3k a week it’s just he was a degenerate gambler that pissed it away but that’s the streets. What’s the old line “streets school us to spend our money foolish”
And if you were making 2k a week 30 years ago your making 1k a week now which isn’t shit in that life especially when you gotta kick up $500 a month and a few thousand at Xmas
But captains are still making atleast 20-30k a month and the bosses are still making millions...

Last edited by Louiebynochi; 07/18/21 03:28 PM.

A March 1986 raid on DiBernardo's office seized alleged "child pornography and financial records." As "a result of the Postal Inspectors seizures [a federal prosecutor] is attempting to indict DiBernardo on child pornography violations" according to an FBI memo dated May 20, 1986.
Thousands of pages of FBI Files that document his involvement in Child Porn
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/star-distributors-ltd-46454/
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/0...s-Miporn-investigation-of/7758361252800/
https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1526052/united-states-v-dibernardo/
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016377
07/19/21 05:22 AM
07/19/21 05:22 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
I think another archetype would be:

Born in a family of long mob tradition;

Married with a woman from a same family of long mob tradition;

Made in early age due his father connection;

Inherit his father crew;

Made milions thanks as his crew of white collar racketeers;

Accept long sentences in prison without flip so his sons can continue their road in the mob.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: furio_from_naples] #1016390
07/19/21 12:13 PM
07/19/21 12:13 PM
B
Beenaround Offline
Capo
Beenaround  Offline
B
Capo
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
I think another archetype would be:

Born in a family of long mob tradition;

Married with a woman from a same family of long mob tradition;

Made in early age due his father connection;

Inherit his father crew;

Made milions thanks as his crew of white collar racketeers;

Accept long sentences in prison without flip so his sons can continue their road in the mob.

Your pretty much correct on everything. I know a few that your analysis bears truth.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016448
07/20/21 08:50 AM
07/20/21 08:50 AM
S
spartan Offline
Button
spartan  Offline
S
Button
Bikers in Canada have not "surpassed" the various Italian TOC. Italian OC is still number 1 on the food chain in Canada.

And ppl need to understand, the Hells Angels in Quebec (amongst the "strongest" and wealthiest biker groups in the world) are not traditional bikers as you would see in California. Quebec HA are basically French (Canadian) Mafia. Ontario HAs (and Ontario has the highest concentration of bikers in the world, except for maybe Australia now) are not like Quebec HAs. And Ontario HAs have deep respect for Italian TOC.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016451
07/20/21 10:01 AM
07/20/21 10:01 AM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
The current era Tony Soprano does not live in a triple mortgaged home lol. The guys who get made these days are almost all earners. It's no longer about loyalty, honor and respect. It's all about money

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: jace] #1016484
07/20/21 07:21 PM
07/20/21 07:21 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by jace

Which clubs have the most Italians by region?

I was talking about the East Coast, Pagans, HA and Outlaws.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016500
07/20/21 09:13 PM
07/20/21 09:13 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

I don't know about the other clubs, but the Pagans have a significant percentage of Italian members

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: LuanKuci] #1016503
07/20/21 10:39 PM
07/20/21 10:39 PM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
I think people here get so hung up on attire. Most people wore suits even well into the 90’s. That isn’t the case for people with real jobs anymore and hasn’t been for some time. Why would you expect people that don’t even work for a living to put on business attire while they sip anisette, gorge on food, and talk about getting working peoples’ money into their pockets?!

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: FrankMazola] #1016505
07/20/21 11:40 PM
07/20/21 11:40 PM
D
DillyDolly Offline
Underboss
DillyDolly  Offline
D
Underboss
It's because many of them just look downright bummy. I mean, they don't have to wear suits necessarily, they don't have to be John Gotti everyday but they don't have to be slobs either.

Re: The Archetype of today's American Mobster [Re: DillyDolly] #1016508
07/21/21 12:42 AM
07/21/21 12:42 AM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
Fair enough (those 3 fat Bonnano guys being drug into arraignment in Fila and Puma attire, not even suits but like cut off sweats with fringe threads hanging off come to mind). They have sort of an urban-redneck motif to them, I feel like.

But remember, these are a fairly slothful people. “Enterprising” and “conniving” though they may be, the lion’s share of gangsters are too fucking lazy to work for a living. I just don’t expect much out of their dress, either.

Last edited by FrankMazola; 07/21/21 12:43 AM.

F. Mazola, Esq.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull