GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 128 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,542
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 70 of 91 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1017944
08/13/21 02:41 PM
08/13/21 02:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
FREE GUY

FREE GUY stars Ryan Reynolds, a NPC (non-player character), who is an AI and grows a conscience of his own. Upon finding his new found consciousness he meets and falls in love with Millie (played by Jodie Comer). Millie, along with Keys (Joe Keery), had previously developed a game they suspect Antoine (Taika Waititi) has stolen and rebranded as Free Guy. Millie enlists Guy's help to find evidence within the game to prove Antoine used their stolen code, availing them to millions of dollars through the proper litigation. For a Ryan Reynolds movie, the jokes were a mixed bag with some that stuck and others didn't (although it is slightly watered down to fit a PG-13 rating). This was my first introduction to Jodie Comer and for me, she honestly stole the show with a wide range of emotions. The film does display a lot of heartfelt emotions for a comedy and even the casual movie going fan can enjoy this while gamers should love it. I've seen Waititi in better roles as he appears aloof and mailed in his performance sadly as I expected more out of him. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018010
08/14/21 12:46 PM
08/14/21 12:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
DON'T BREATHE 2

Stephen Lang is back as Norman Nordstrom aka The Blind Man to inflict punishment on those who break into his house and wish to take what's his. In this follow-up (although we're unsure how long after the events of the first film this takes place), Norman now has a daughter. After watching the previous film, I can only hope it wasn't in the way he originally intended to with Cindy and Rocky. Once again set in Detroit, the film opens with his daughter Phoenix (wonderfully played by 14-year-old Madelyn Grace) being trained survival skills by her unrelenting and harsh father. Before long however, a truck of criminals soon descends upon the house, looking for Norman and Phoenix. While there are some plot holes and the story isn't as strong as its predecessor, this surprised me as I wasn't too invested in seeing a sequel. However, in some ways it rehashes the original yet also expands upon it. The first film was a psychological thriller where sound was your enemy, which made for a very quiet film. This is the complete opposite: loud, violent, and bloody! It's also hard to be sympathetic to Norman's character after the events of part 1 and even parts of his storyline in this film. The film took a hard left about two-thirds of the way in that continued to raise my eyebrows as it grew but I'll give the crew and studio credit for having the balls to go through with it. Overall, I still prefer the original but this was a worthy sequel (still surprised I'm saying that) and could even be up for a third, given the right story. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018012
08/14/21 01:02 PM
08/14/21 01:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RESPECT

Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson is perfectly cast as the late Aretha Franklin. Judging by the previews and Hudson's known musical talent, this seemed like an early Oscar contender for her (and even after watching it, I still believe that to be the case). However, she didn't do enough with the role to win me over and I see her gaining nothing more than a nomination, rather than a win. She plays Aretha wonderfully, always poised, respectful, and humble being able to show her full acting talents towards the later part of the film. However, her performance, and film overall, felt very average. It's bloated with a runtime of 2 hours and 25 minutes and a handful of scenes, particularly early in the film could have been trimmed down to assist with the films pace. Quite a bit of time is devoted to Aretha's youth to open with, which stalls any momentum out of the gate, before the audience is finally introduced to Hudson. She is remarkably surrounded by very strong supporting actors as well, especially when talking about Forest Whitaker, who plays her preacher father and Marlon Wayans who plays her first husband, Ted White. Both men are extremely demanding, controlling, and hard headed, who attempt to keep Aretha under their thumbs throughout the film, until she finally finds her self-worth and respect to stand up to the both of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see either or both of them land nominations as well (and I'd really be pulling for Wayans if that's the case). A film that looked to have more promise but failed in it's delivery. Unless your a fan of Aretha's, you can probably avoid the theaters for this. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1018090
08/15/21 11:45 PM
08/15/21 11:45 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Irishman12
DON'T BREATHE 2

Stephen Lang is back as Norman Nordstrom aka The Blind Man to inflict punishment on those who break into his house and wish to take what's his. In this follow-up (although we're unsure how long after the events of the first film this takes place), Norman now has a daughter. After watching the previous film, I can only hope it wasn't in the way he originally intended to with Cindy and Rocky. Once again set in Detroit, the film opens with his daughter Phoenix (wonderfully played by 14-year-old Madelyn Grace) being trained survival skills by her unrelenting and harsh father. Before long however, a truck of criminals soon descends upon the house, looking for Norman and Phoenix. While there are some plot holes and the story isn't as strong as its predecessor, this surprised me as I wasn't too invested in seeing a sequel. However, in some ways it rehashes the original yet also expands upon it. The first film was a psychological thriller where sound was your enemy, which made for a very quiet film. This is the complete opposite: loud, violent, and bloody! It's also hard to be sympathetic to Norman's character after the events of part 1 and even parts of his storyline in this film. The film took a hard left about two-thirds of the way in that continued to raise my eyebrows as it grew but I'll give the crew and studio credit for having the balls to go through with it. Overall, I still prefer the original but this was a worthy sequel (still surprised I'm saying that) and could even be up for a third, given the right story. 6/10

I stopped reading after the first sentence, because I have to see this. I have been hoping for a remake, the first one was great.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1018276
08/19/21 07:11 PM
08/19/21 07:11 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
RESPECT

Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson is perfectly cast as the late Aretha Franklin. Judging by the previews and Hudson's known musical talent, this seemed like an early Oscar contender for her (and even after watching it, I still believe that to be the case). However, she didn't do enough with the role to win me over and I see her gaining nothing more than a nomination, rather than a win. She plays Aretha wonderfully, always poised, respectful, and humble being able to show her full acting talents towards the later part of the film. However, her performance, and film overall, felt very average. It's bloated with a runtime of 2 hours and 25 minutes and a handful of scenes, particularly early in the film could have been trimmed down to assist with the films pace. Quite a bit of time is devoted to Aretha's youth to open with, which stalls any momentum out of the gate, before the audience is finally introduced to Hudson. She is remarkably surrounded by very strong supporting actors as well, especially when talking about Forest Whitaker, who plays her preacher father and Marlon Wayans who plays her first husband, Ted White. Both men are extremely demanding, controlling, and hard headed, who attempt to keep Aretha under their thumbs throughout the film, until she finally finds her self-worth and respect to stand up to the both of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see either or both of them land nominations as well (and I'd really be pulling for Wayans if that's the case). A film that looked to have more promise but failed in it's delivery. Unless your a fan of Aretha's, you can probably avoid the theaters for this. 5/10

Thanks i12
I will

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018278
08/19/21 07:21 PM
08/19/21 07:21 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
New Tomorrow

8/20 - Bios (‘21) Tom Hanks.

8/20 - Sweet Girl (‘21) Jason Mamoa.

8/20 - Reminiscence (‘21 HBOMax) w/Hugh Jackman; retrieving memories.

8/20 - TRUTH BE TOLD (‘21 S2)
(w/Octavia Spencer & Aaron Paul)
(AppleTv/AmazP)
S1 : 2019 8E 4 Stars.

8/20 - Flag Day (‘21) w/Sean Penn.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018285
08/19/21 07:42 PM
08/19/21 07:42 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Tomorrow I'm going to the theaters to see THE PROTEGE and THE NIGHT HOUSE. This weekend I'll watch REMINISCENCE on HBO Max.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018548
08/21/21 08:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE PROTEGE

Maggie Q stars as Anna, an assassin who's on a trail of revenge after her mentor (Samuel L. Jackson), is unexpectedly killed. Being this is a Lionsgate release, I'm sure the studio is hoping for this to become another of their franchises but I don't see that happening. For an action film, there's very few action scenes peppered throughout. I'm quite surprised with the cast they were able to assemble with Jackson, Robert Patrick, and Michael Keaton. I'm sure the studio was banking on their star power to bring in audiences but once there, you're duped by an average story that's all over the place, a weak villain who's not Keaton by the way (although that's not what the trailers want you to believe), and no other performances by any of the main players are of any significance. A very disappointing showing from director Martin Campbell, who's previous work alone within the James Bond franchise, proves he's capable of so much more. This is the type of film you take a gamble on while trapped on a long flight with nothing else to do. 5/1

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018549
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE NIGHT HOUSE

Rebecca Hall stars as Beth, a recent widow, who's husband Owen committed suicide by shooting himself in the head on a boat in the middle of a lake outside of their home. Self-medicating with various amounts of alcohol, she begins to unearth aspects of her late husbands life she was not previously privy to. An onion of a film that continues to keep you guessing with each layer that's peeled away as the film progresses and does a wonderful job at building the audiences suspense when multiple, unexplained disturbances occur within the house (such as the stereo constantly being turned on in the middle of the night). This leads Beth to believe her house is haunted and that her husband may be trying to make contact with her from beyond the grave. There's a lot to unpack here and this is one of those films where a second viewing is needed to really absorb everything being presented. An interesting story and twist at the end. This probably won't make much noise at the box office and from the previews I was only mildly interested; however, after seeing it, I look forward to getting back on this roller coaster. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018704
08/22/21 06:59 PM
08/22/21 06:59 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
REMINISCENE

In the future, Miami is a city underwater. As such, the future looks bleak, so society now turns to the past in order to cope via nostalgia (a water tank system people use to access and relive memories from their past). One day Mae, a nightclub singer, (Rebecca Ferguson) comes in to find her misplaced keys. Nick Bannister (Hugh Jackson) who oversees the nostalgia operation, quickly falls for the beauty. They soon develop a romance until suddenly Mae disappears without a trace. Head over heels for Mae, Nick frantically searches for her, while unexpectedly, uncovering a plot involving a rich property owner that has dire consequences for everyone involved. I'll give the writers credit for creating a new and enticing idea on paper, and even the initial setup worked; however, once Mae went missing and each memory of Nick's seemed to be another memory within a memory, it was easy to quickly lose interest. By the midway point, you're wondering what happened to Mae and for this story to be over with. A shame as the film had promise. 4/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1018971
08/27/21 08:29 PM
08/27/21 08:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CANDYMAN

A sequel to the original, this quasi-reboot stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Anthony McCoy, an up-and-coming artist in the Chicago area, who becomes fixated on the Candyman myth. Yahya is passable as the main star, but the film only works when Candyman is lurking and slicing and dicing his victims. Otherwise, this is just another "woke" piece from Jordan Peele, who IMO, hasn't done much since GET OUT. This film had much promise going in to it, but didn't deliver with the finished product. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019352
09/03/21 06:06 PM
09/03/21 06:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

Like many of the Marvel audience who went into this film, I didn't know anything about this character outside of what the previews showed. However, upon viewing, consider me a Shang-Chi fan! This was a legitimate, straight up Marvel kung-fu movie the likes of which I'd never thought I'd see. Simu Liu stars as Shaun/Shang-Chi, a Chinese immigrant living an ordinary life in San Francisco, working as a valet with his best friend Katy (Awkwafina), until a gang of ruffians attack him on a bus in an attempt to steal a pendant he's wearing. The gang is successful in their attempt and as such, Shang-Chi travels to Macao in search of the pendant and his sister as she's next on the gang's hit list. Plenty of action throughout (especially early on in the film) and Awkwafina passably plays the bumbling sidekick. However, the film comes to a screeching halt when Michelle Yeoh's character is introduced and more backstory is given. A fantastic third act that I won't spoil for you save for spectacular CGI. A few cameo's throughout, especially one who winds up playing a prominent role upon his introduction. This was a very action packed, funny, and at times, touching film that hit on all the notes and I eagerly anticipate not only a second viewing, but a sequel! 8/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019375
09/04/21 12:24 AM
09/04/21 12:24 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Arrived Today ! ! blush

[Linked Image]

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019543
09/06/21 12:40 PM
09/06/21 12:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WORTH

Based on true events, Michael Keaton stars as Ken Feinberg, an analyst who volunteers for the job nobody wants of attempting to determine how much a life is worth for the families of the victims of 9/11. Keaton is passable as Feinberg, who sticks to his formula's and numbers without getting emotionally involved with the victims (in fact, not until much further on in the film does his attitude change when he begins hearing victims stories firsthand, rather than passing them off to his staff). He and his team are given a deadline of December 24, 2003 to have at least 80% of the 7,000 potential plaintiffs agree to his formula and payment amounts, thus waiving their right to future litigation. The film goes in circles and repeats itself almost ad nauseam between Feinberg's formula and getting the 80% of participants before the deadline. A watchable movie, but nothing memorable upon completion, even with the delicate subject matter discussed and the 20th anniversary of the terrorists attacks approaching. Although I do applaud the film for not being political and sticking to what is relevant: the victims and their families. 5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019784
09/10/21 06:15 PM
09/10/21 06:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
MALIGNANT

James Wan's newest feature tells the story of Madison, a woman who believes she's being haunted by an evil spirit by the name of Gabriel. Madison sees vision's of murders in real-time, desperately attempting to convince the police she's trying to help, rather than committing the crimes herself. However, having so much intimate knowledge of the crimes, she's the cops prime suspect. I'm a fan of both star Annabelle Wallis and director James Wan but this story is too ludicrous to take seriously. The ending is too predictable within the first 20-30 minutes and the film does nothing to hold your interest throughout until you're proven right. Before the midway point, the film is a snoozefest and you're waiting for the credits to roll (in fact, the story becomes somewhat laughable by the third act). No scares in this one but plenty of gore to go around. Wan has proven he can deliver the goods within this genre but this was an extremely bad miss (although I do give him credit for originality). Is that really where we're at in society and fans of the horror genre where we're applauding attempts, rather than the finished product? A hard pass, even for those with HBO Max. 4/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019884
09/12/21 04:57 PM
09/12/21 04:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
KATE

KATE finds Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a retiring assassin, who during her final job, is poisoned and has 24 hours left to live. Set in Japan, Winstead begins a brief but very deadly journey of revenge against one of the most powerful Yakuza clans in the land in order to kill the person(s) responsible for her impending death. I'm really enjoying Mary Elizabeth stretching her chops as an action star and hope she continues as she kicks major ass in the film (particularly in her fight sequence in a Japanese restaurant that would make Quentin Tarantino proud). Woody Harrelson plays her mentor, Varrick. Harrelson always demands your attention with his powerful performances but here, he's somewhat wasted and used as filler as the character is very two dimensional, without much to work with. A fun and bloody journey to take a chance on Netflix. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019890
09/12/21 05:37 PM
09/12/21 05:37 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
I love reading your reviews, Irish. Your contribution is very much appreciated, I must say. Do you post these reviews elsewhere as well? You'd definitely score high on imdb. I'm a movie buff as well, but you sure put me to shame when it comes to combing through the new stuff lol

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019893
09/12/21 06:09 PM
09/12/21 06:09 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I appreciate that my man. Glad others enjoy reading them and am able to guide those to either avoid a bad picture or seek out a good one. I'm on Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes as well.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019901
09/13/21 03:57 AM
09/13/21 03:57 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
I'm gonna check out Malignant later this week. I know you didn't like that one, but people seem to either hate it or absolutely love it. At this point, I just have to see it to make sure lol. I do like the director, I will say

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019926
09/13/21 07:20 PM
09/13/21 07:20 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'm a James Wan fan as well and that's why this was even more disappointing for me. Curious as to your thoughts after viewing it.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1019969
09/14/21 06:22 PM
09/14/21 06:22 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE GUILTY

Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Joe Baylor, a LAPD officer who's recently been assigned to work as a 911 operator after being investigated for a shooting he was involved in while on duty. His attitude towards his current position is evident early on with callers as he's frequently blunt and even downright rude to people who are in emergency situations, looking for assistance rather than a 911 operator with an attitude. Playing against the backdrop of a California wildfire and resources that are stretched thin, Joe receives a call from Emily, who's been abducted. Trying to save Emily before any harm comes to her, Joe becomes overly invested in this kidnapping, going above and beyond (both legally and illegally) to rescue her. Director Antoine Fuqua and writer Nic Pizzolatto do a wonderful job at creating suspense, always wondering what the next phone call between the two will bring. At around 85 minutes, it doesn't sit around waiting to get revved up but rather gets right to the point. Gyllenhaal does a spectacular job as Joe, going from oftentimes tender to raging mad without much provocation and it's easy to see why he's currently sitting on the sidelines due to his violent temper. Be sure to check out this modern day Hitchcockian film when it drops on Netflix on October 1. 7.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020021
09/15/21 07:17 PM
09/15/21 07:17 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Saw The Guilty last night, Irish. Totally agree with your assessment. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It only gets a 6.1 on imdb, which is totally bizarre to me, but the masses ain't always right. Loved Gyllenhaal's performance. The way he's able to tap into those difficult feelings is quite impressive.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020031
09/15/21 08:20 PM
09/15/21 08:20 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I was very impressed with it as well (moreso than I anticipated going in to it). I'll be watching it again when it drops on Netflix). Going to see CRY MACHO on Friday and then a few more that I'll post over the weekend.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1020042
09/16/21 03:12 AM
09/16/21 03:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
CHERNOBYL DIARIES (2012)

A group of carefree twenty-somethings, vacationing in Kiev, sign up for an "extreme tour" with a local guide who says he can get them into Pripyat, the town abandoned after the Chernobyl reactor meltdown in '86. Guards block them, but the driver takes them in via a hidden entrance. They have an interesting time in the eerily abandoned ruins, but when it's time to go, the van has been sabotaged, and as night falls, they learn to their horror that they're not alone.

You could call this the Eastern European "Blair Witch Project" except that it's better filmed (color) in authentic, abandoned Soviet-era military bases. It's tense, often gripping, as the unseen forces reduce the tourists' numbers and they get more and more terrified. The ending is kinda lame, but getting there was most of the fun.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1020066
09/16/21 05:31 PM
09/16/21 05:31 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
I was very impressed with it as well (moreso than I anticipated going in to it). I'll be watching it again when it drops on Netflix). Going to see CRY MACHO on Friday and then a few more that I'll post over the weekend.

Looking forward to your Cry Macho review. I really enjoyed The Mule. It's crazy how many good movies Eastwood has made in his career. One of my all time favorite movies is A Perfect World, the one with Kevin Costner and Laura Dern.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020079
09/16/21 06:33 PM
09/16/21 06:33 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I never saw A PERFECT WORLD and I need to revisit THE MULE. Only saw it once in theaters. Didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it. I did enjoy RICHARD JEWEL however. Not crazy about CRY MACHO tomorrow honestly but I'll take a flyer on it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020209
09/17/21 05:12 PM
09/17/21 05:12 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CRY MACHO

CRY MACHO tells the story of Mike Milo, played by Clint Eastwood. A one-time rodeo star who's career was cut short by an accident. He's now far removed from his glory days, working as a horse trainer. The film opens with his boss Howard (Dwight Yoakam) firing him and bringing in a new trainer. Fast forward a year later and Howard needs Mike's help: he asks Mike to go to Mexico to bring his son, Rafo, to the States. At first Mike asks all the right questions such as "why don't you go through the authorities" and whatnot until Howard gives his reasoning before guilting Mike into going as repayment since Howard covered Mike's expenses once his family passed and left him a drunk and emotionally shattered man. For a film about Eastwood trying to find and convince Rafo to come north with him, all while staying off the police's radar, they certainly make a lot of stops along the way. Their car finally breaks down in a small town where a lot of the story is focused and Mike finds a new lease on life when he meets Marta and her 4 granddaughters. Eastwood's continuing to look frail, but what else is to be expected from a 91-year-old? I only bring it up because there's a couple of scenes where he's physical and it doesn't come off particularly well or believable because of it. Although, it is a decent enough story about an aging cowboy finally finding some peace and happiness before leaving this old earth of ours. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020245
09/18/21 04:07 AM
09/18/21 04:07 AM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
When I watched the Cry Macho trailer, I felt I had seen the movie. I'll probably watch it one of these days, but the trailer and your review make me think this movie is as predictable as it gets.

I have yet to see Richard Jewell. That's another movie that I felt I didn't need to see because I knew the story. What the feds did to that guy was unforgivable.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1020269
09/18/21 12:56 PM
09/18/21 12:56 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE POWER OF THE DOG

Brothers Phil (Benedict Cumberbatch) and George Burbank (Jessie Plemons) are wealthy ranchers in 1925 Montana. The film opens with them bringing cattle into town and settle themselves at an establishment run by a widow by the name of Rose (Kirsten Dunst) and her son Peter (Kodi Smit-McPhee). Phil and George couldn't be any different from each other. Where Phil is loud, aggressive, and rude, George is quiet, reserved, and well mannered. While dining after their journey into town, Phil continuously offends and bullies the fragile and delicate Peter. This leads George to not only settle the bill upon everyone's departure but also apologize to Rose for his brothers actions. The next day he visits Rose again and he continues to drive into town to see her until they're finally married. This does not go over well with Phil as Rose now moves into the house he shares with his brother George while Phil is sent away to medical school. A slow burn of a film that in some ways could act as a spiritual sequel to THERE WILL BE BLOOD; however, again they deal with cattle as opposed to oil. One of the finest performances I've ever seen from Cumberbatch and I'm fully aware of how bold a statement that is due to his very impressive body of work. This should at least garner him an Oscar nomination. Plemons and Dunst were equally as good and balance out a very strong cast, although for a period of time, Plemons does disappear from the story between acts 2 & 3. I cannot recommend this movie enough! 8/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Giacalone] #1020273
09/18/21 12:59 PM
09/18/21 12:59 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Giacalone
When I watched the Cry Macho trailer, I felt I had seen the movie. I'll probably watch it one of these days, but the trailer and your review make me think this movie is as predictable as it gets.

I have yet to see Richard Jewell. That's another movie that I felt I didn't need to see because I knew the story. What the feds did to that guy was unforgivable.

I agree with you on JEWELL, tragedy what they did to that poor man who wound up being a hero than a villain. I had nothing else to watch yesterday so I took a flyer on CRY MACHO. Yes, very predictable and average.

Page 70 of 91 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull