GangsterBB.NET

Mario Puzo’s The Godfather, Coda:
The Death of Michael Corleone (Blu-ray + Digital)

GF3 restored, with a new beginning and ending,
as well as changes to scenes, shots, and music cues!
NEW -- Order Now!

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (chin_gigante, TheKillingJoke, 2 invisible), 58 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Gina's Artroom
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website

>MobPosters.com
>Puzo Amazon Store
>Ebay: Godfather
>Ebay: Scarface

>Live Chatroom
A word from our sponsors...

Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
MobNewsReport, pillsdr0p, Vongole, RhodeIslandRed35, Sidney
10034 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 57,693
DE NIRO 44,820
J Geoff 31,099
pizzaboy 23,291
SC 22,902
Mignon 19,066
Turnbull 18,687
Don Cardi 18,237
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
olivant 14,905
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics39,080
Posts981,127
Members10,034
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 65 1 2 63 64 65
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1008892
04/02/21 07:27 PM
04/02/21 07:27 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE MAURITANIAN

Based on true events, THE MAURITANIAN follows Mohamedou Ould Slahi, a man who is accused of aiding Al-Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks. (For those of you as unfamiliar with Mauritania as I was coming into this film, it's a country in Northwest Africa). The film opens with Slahi attending a wedding, before being kidnapped and taken to Guantanamo Bay where he is held for the next 14 years without being charged with a crime. Jodie Foster and Shailene Woodley play his defense attorney's who sue the U.S. government for them to either charge Slahi with a crime or release him. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the prosecutor in Slahi's case as Stuart Couch, a colonel with a southern drawl who quickly finds out what kind of government he's representing in the post-9/11 world. The film begins suspenseful and fast paced, developing the story and characters rather rapidly. However, by around the mid-point the pacing really slows down and the film seems to drag in some areas as a result of this. Cumberbatch is obviously fighting a cold during the shooting of this film as his southern drawl is noticeably stuffy and nasally in every scene he's in. The biggest star of the film, Foster, is also the one who is the most interesting character out of the cast. She plays Nancy Hollander, a no nonsense lawyer, who detached from her feelings long ago as she's made a career out of these types of cases. Here she works pro bono, and is somewhat villianized by the media and some pockets of citizens who believe Slahi should pay for his alleged role in the attacks and Foster for defending a "terrorist." She gives the most captivating performance, however, Tahar Rahim, who plays Slahi isn't far behind as the accused man. Being that this story takes place over 14 years and two Presidential administrations, I appreciate the fact the film didn't get caught up in a Republican/Democrat problem: this was a U.S. government problem, regardless of who was President at the time. If you're really interested in seeing it, it's worth a shot; otherwise, you're not missing much if you choose to skip it. 5.5/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1008952
04/03/21 07:30 PM
04/03/21 07:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Just rewatched THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956) for the first time in years in anticipation for Easter tomorrow. I love these huge, biblical stories that Hollywood used to produce and wish they'd make movies like this again. Charlton Heston was magnificent as Moses and I haven't been this moved watching a film since THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. Got a few more I'm going to attempt to go through here coming up: THE KING OF KINGS (1927), KING OF KINGS (1961), CLEOPATRA (1963), and THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (1964). With the exception of THE KING OF KINGS (1927), this will be my first time viewing these films.

***UPDATE***
Adding CLEOPATRA (1934), THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923), and SAMSON AND DELILAH (1949) to the list as well. First time viewing all of these also.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009018
04/04/21 02:01 PM
04/04/21 02:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No doubt about it, Irishman--Ten Commandments is a magnificent movie. DeMille knew how to entertain his audiences--pulled out all the stops. I read that at one point he used half of the Egyptian Army as extras. I hope you noticed the attention to design detail in many scenes, especially the costumes and jewelry, all of it custom-made. The credits alone are a work of art. Another plus: the movie prints are among the very few that the studios treated reverently--nearly all others (including GF) were simply dumped somewhere. So, high-quality prints of Ten Commandments were always available for reruns and remastering. They'll never make another like it again.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009020
04/04/21 02:11 PM
04/04/21 02:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
CONCRETE COWBOY (2020)

Cole (Caleb McLaughlin), expelled from his Detroit high school for fighting, is dumped by his mother on his long-absent father Harp (Idris Elba) in Philadelphia. Harp is part of a (real life) black cowboy coterie operating out of ancient stables in their inner city neighborhood (Harp actually has a horse in his home). Caleb hates his old man and his new situation, but the group gradually brings him into their fold by making him muck out stables. He bonds with a wild horse and is gradually accepted. He's also tempted into the criminal life by an older friend and is nearly killed.

This is an uneven, sometimes amateurish movie, loaded with F- MF- and N-bombs, but McLaughlin is outstanding as the rebellious but decent kid who goes right. Lorraine Toussaint plays the obligatory motherly member of the group. Elba, who is in more movies than the MGM lion, is curiously ambivalent in his role. The premise is unique, and carries through to the end. Ok for one viewing.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Turnbull] #1009027
04/04/21 06:13 PM
04/04/21 06:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Turnbull
CONCRETE COWBOY (2020)

Cole (Caleb McLaughlin), expelled from his Detroit high school for fighting, is dumped by his mother on his long-absent father Harp (Idris Elba) in Philadelphia. Harp is part of a (real life) black cowboy coterie operating out of ancient stables in their inner city neighborhood (Harp actually has a horse in his home). Caleb hates his old man and his new situation, but the group gradually brings him into their fold by making him muck out stables. He bonds with a wild horse and is gradually accepted. He's also tempted into the criminal life by an older friend and is nearly killed.

This is an uneven, sometimes amateurish movie, loaded with F- MF- and N-bombs, but McLaughlin is outstanding as the rebellious but decent kid who goes right. Lorraine Toussaint plays the obligatory motherly member of the group. Elba, who is in more movies than the MGM lion, is curiously ambivalent in his role. The premise is unique, and carries through to the end. Ok for one viewing.

The trailer didn't do anything for me so I passed. Thanks for the review Turnbull.

Rewatched THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST today and I enjoy this film and honestly, don't understand why it's so controversial? I've read the book and the film doesn't paint Jesus in a negative light. From the Bible itself, we're shown Jesus as God and man. What this film accomplishes is a portrayal of Jesus as simply man. Struggling with being God's Son and facing his death on the Cross. I loved the last part where He faces his final temptation and overcomes it. Anyone who hasn't seen this film, I endorse a viewing. And for those who have, what are your thoughts?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009105
04/06/21 06:40 PM
04/06/21 06:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)

Watched for the first time Cecile B. DeMille's original, 1923 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. It actually took me for quite a surprise as the film opens up with the story of Moses and the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. This may take not even a quarter of the film to portray and the rest of the time, it actually illustrates the Commandments at work during the present day this film was released. There's even a title before the second story begins about how the world doesn't feel the Commandments were applicable to life 100 years ago (remember this film was released on the heels of the end of the First World War). So DeMille uses this picture as a vehicle to say the Commandments are never outdated and they're not merely suggestions but rather, the law of God. A good film (not a huge silent film fan honestly) but compared to the 1956 version, this pales in compassion. I do appreciate what he's done here, trying to teach the audience rather than rehash a story many of us have heard plenty of times. I was also glad he was able to make a true version of the story in 1956, with the advancements in technology over the previous 33 years since this release. Both versions are good and worth a watch. 6/10

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Irishman12] #1009139
04/07/21 09:54 AM
04/07/21 09:54 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Underboss
DuesPaid  Offline
Underboss
Where ever needed.
Great movie i12

Did you ever see The Greatest Story Ever Told"[b][/b]

Amazing cast.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009177
04/07/21 06:41 PM
04/07/21 06:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Never did DP. Worth the watch?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009215
04/08/21 01:19 PM
04/08/21 01:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Destination Moon (1950)

In this early sci-fi, a scientist, an aviation builder and a retired general (John Archer, Warner Anderson, Tom Powers) put together an atomic powered spaceship that the government wants to shut down because of radioactive fears. They jump the gun by taking off for the moon, bringing along one of the site workers (Dick Wesson). They land on the moon, but they used up too much fuel maneuvering, so they have to lighten the spacecraft--possibly by leaving one of them behind. This movie is pretty good for its time, with good special effects, and a nice lesson in astrophysics courtesy of Woody Woodpecker(!). Only jarring note is Wesson, playing a Brooklyn dees-and-dozer--he's more annoying than Medavoy on "NYPD Blue."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #1009309
Yesterday at 06:06 PM
Yesterday at 06:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
BOSS

The Villa Quatro
VOYAGERS

VOYAGERS takes place 42 years into the future in the year 2063. The planet is heating up and mankind sends a ship full of teenagers and one chaperon (played by Colin Farrell) to supervise them all. They've found a new planet that they're attempting to explore to see if it can sustain the future of the human race. The only problem: it takes 86 years to reach, meaning the teenagers on our voyage will never see the planet but rather their grandchildren. While onboard, the teens are given a daily regimen of a blue liquid. They're told by Farrell that it's nothing more than vitamins; however, when researching the ingredients of the blue liquid, 2 of the teenagers become suspicious of Farrell, his motives, and whether he's being entirely truthful with them or not. As such, the 2 teenagers refuse to take the blue liquid and all hell breaks loose (think of Lord of the Flies in space). Factions are formed, and many themes are wonderfully woven into this tale such as betrayal, fear, love, and acceptance. Featuring a cast of up-and-coming talent starring Tye Sheridan and Lil-Rose Depp, VOYAGERS is well worth a ride. 6/10

Page 65 of 65 1 2 63 64 65

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull