GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,306
Posts1,058,306
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do we ever see the other side? #1009064
04/05/21 01:55 PM
04/05/21 01:55 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I've always thought that one of the confusing aspects of GF2 is that what we're seeing is a chess match, but only one side of it. We don't see Roth and Ola talking over what they're going to do next.

It's occurred to me that that seems a pretty consistent practice through the novel and the first two movies. We don't see Sollozzo and Tataglia planning, or Barzini plotting with either, or with Moe, Carlo, or Tessio. The book has a little narrative about McCluskey, but all he's considering is how to get maximum value for some betting slips he's seized.

I think that about the only place we see that kind activity is in the Ola-Fredo "wrong number" call. That view, of course, requires that Fredo be considered an antagonist, rather than a dupe. I've long wondered if that scene wasn't inserted just to establish that Ola (and by extension Roth) is definitely an antagonist.

Am I forgetting other stuff, or is it very consistent that you never get a window into what the other side is thinking?

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: mustachepete] #1009075
04/05/21 05:21 PM
04/05/21 05:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think it's because the novel and films' protagonists are the Corleones and we want and are given a good bit of information about them. Of course, as you state, the novel does probe the backgrounds and maneuvering of some other characters, but at 3.5 hours, already, the films would be stretching viewer's attention spans to go much longer. It's the Corleones we want to know about.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: olivant] #1009088
04/06/21 02:47 AM
04/06/21 02:47 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
What Oli said.
Plus: There's a good deal of violence in the Trilogy, but it's not overwhelming because it's spaced out among three long movies. Most of it comes as a surprise, making it more effective and dramatic. Those virtues would be diminished if, say, we saw Sol and Tatt plotting Vito's shooting, or Ola and Roth planning the Tahoe attack, etc...

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: mustachepete] #1009258
04/09/21 12:27 AM
04/09/21 12:27 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, for what it is worth!

The “surprise” agony! and ecstasy!! indeed

Sure thing Turnbull The suspense, subtlety “making it more effective and dramatic”
Also it gets and keeps the audience engaged especially fanatics like us for 50 odd years! Otherwise what will we debate!

Pete, It seems to me there are times we don't “get a window into what the [Corleones] is thinking” either

Whilst we have our 'novice' theories, they are not quite conclusive until Checkmate! If my memory serves me right, among others -

Godfather
  • why is Carlo being made Michael's right hand man just because Carlo grew up in Nevada?
  • when Michael tells Tom “You're not a wartime Consiglieri Tom things may get rough with the move we're trying” what is the move they are trying?
  • if the move is taking over the Hotel the Corleones bankrolled for Greene, Corleones giving up all their interests in the olive oil business and settling out in Nevada why may it get rough?
  • when Michael told Vito in the Garden scene “I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it” what was it Michael going to handle? until the Baptism, Greene and Carlo murders
  • when Michael agreed to Tessio brokered meeting with Barzini at Vito's funeral - oh, no! Has Michael forgotten Vito's warning that “whoever comes to Michael with this Barzini meeting he's the traitor” until Cicci tells Tessio “Boss says he'll come in a separate car” screwing up all Tessio's arrangements!
  • Carlo's involvement in Sonny's death until Michael's “You have to answer for Santino, Carlo”
  • Did we think Carlo had gotten away with it because Michael won't make his sister a widow until seeing Clemenza sitting in the back seat

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Lana] #1009333
04/09/21 09:51 PM
04/09/21 09:51 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
The suspense, subtlety “making it more effective and dramatic” and no doubt our debates

Carlo was smug he had gotten away with murder!
1. Smirking at being made Michael's right hand man
2. Thanking Papa for finally fast-tracked what he deserved, entitled
3. Believing he was just out of the family business even after seeing Clemenza sitting in the back seat

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Evita] #1009346
04/09/21 11:29 PM
04/09/21 11:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The answers to the Lana/Evita posts are found in II, in the scene when Michael visits Pentangeli. He tells Frankie, "My father taught me many things in this room [the home's office]...keep your friends close but your enemies closer." He also said he wanted Roth "relaxed...to think our deal is still good..." Those were Vito's teachings and they applied to Carlo. He was an enemy, but killing him right away would have let Vito's enemies, still at war with him, know that he discovered who was behind Carlo's treachery. Better to make them think he was weak, and focus on getting Michael back to the US safely--then Michael could deal with revenge at the right time ("Revenge is a dish best eaten cold," Vito said in the novel).

As for things getting "rough": Michael needed Tom as his legitimate front man in Nevada, not as a wartime consgliere (which Tom wasn't, anyway).

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Turnbull] #1009421
04/10/21 08:51 PM
04/10/21 08:51 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
True but unknown in Godfather

The reasoning behind their strategy to deal with revenge at the right time, Vito's teachings and application until which our theories as they unfold are inconclusive
we're seeing a chess match, players' strategic moves, our theories until Checkmate!

Michael needed Tom as his legitimate front man in Nevada like who doesn't remember him from the old days!

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Evita] #1009429
04/11/21 02:46 AM
04/11/21 02:46 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Evita

Michael needed Tom as his legitimate front man in Nevada like who doesn't remember him from the old days!

Johnny Ola remembered Tom from the old days--but not the Nevada Gaming Commissioners, and not the local and state politicians whom Michael needed to help establish his "legitimate" front. A good part of Tom's value to Vito was that he was accepted by the largely Irish and Jewish judges and politicians in NYC because he was a) a lawyer, not a gangster; b) not Italian; and c) never associated with the muscle end of the family. Those same virtues would make Tom effective with the largely Mormon politicos who controlled Nevada.

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Turnbull] #1009671
04/14/21 06:26 AM
04/14/21 06:26 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
mob lawyer

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: mustachepete] #1010726
04/30/21 01:25 AM
04/30/21 01:25 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Fredo must die?
Originally Posted by Questadt
Originally Posted by Turnbull
I believe Fredo was far more involved with Roth than he let on:

Fredo/Roth conspiracy

I read the thread, TB. Truly a fascinating deconstruction of means and motives that are not obviously in evidence. You have a genuine talent for circumstantial inference that is well-matched to the Godfather plot line.

The Mario Puzo / FFC collaboration produced a plot of impressive sophistication and nuance, especially intriguing being the elements of the story that are merely implied - not stated outright - but are nevertheless essential to a complete understanding of the characters and the various dynamics in play, as you've accurately expounded.

You've made a believer out of me. Clearly Fredo must have been into the conspiracy far deeper than meets the naked eye
And the things Turnbull is teaching! and showing Coppola up!!

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Lana] #1010730
04/30/21 06:15 AM
04/30/21 06:15 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Pete your answer

Re: Do we ever see the other side? [Re: Lana] #1011170
05/07/21 08:30 PM
05/07/21 08:30 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
If only! Then he would have done a better job with The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull