GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (thebarber, TheKillingJoke), 264 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,686
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito and Baby Michael #21037
01/22/05 02:20 PM
01/22/05 02:20 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
In GFII after Vito kills Fanucci and he returns to the steps, sits down, and holds Michael, he says something in Italian to Michael that I can't quite make out right when he also says "Your father love you very much." Anyone know for sure what Italian words he speaks? It's not in the script on the board.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21038
01/22/05 06:11 PM
01/22/05 06:11 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I don't know what the exact translation is, but as you say, he was saying " Michael, your father loves you, very much, very much." That scene combined with the scene on the train leaving Italy where Vito is holding Michael, the scene in GF I when Vito looks out the window and sees Michael, and Vito's refusal to take the family wedding picture without Michael, are good indications that FFC wanted to show that Michael was Vito's favorite son. In retrospect, if the GF trilogy was originally put in chronological order and shown that way, we would see many different signals from several scenes that indicate that Michael was Vito's favorite and it was inevitable that his favorite son would be the one to "save" the Corleone family!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21039
01/23/05 01:39 PM
01/23/05 01:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Don Cardi, I agree. Wether intentional or not, I think the repetitive evidence of Vito's affection for Michael did tend to emphasize the contrast between Vito and Michael. Vito could be a ferocious character just as Michael could be. But Vito really did it all for his family while Michael was more pedantic, doing much of it just to satisfy his own cravings for revenge. Just like he told Tom, "Idon't feel I have to wipe out evryone, just my enemies."

Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21040
01/24/05 11:54 AM
01/24/05 11:54 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
"Ti voglio ben' a sai" is the Sicilian (excuse my spelling, by the way) phrase that Vito uses, which means "I love you very much".

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21041
01/24/05 07:51 PM
01/24/05 07:51 PM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline
Made Member
South Jersey
it's strange to take into account all of these signs that Vito wanted Michael to take control of the family, and then see Vito's reaction when he finds out Michael killed Sollozzo and McKluskey. You would think he would be sort of happy to see that his favorite son had finally given up on his staunch anti-mafianess and joined the ranks of the family business.

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21042
01/24/05 08:25 PM
01/24/05 08:25 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by MistaMista_Tom_Hagen:
it's strange to take into account all of these signs that Vito wanted Michael to take control of the family, and then see Vito's reaction when he finds out Michael killed Sollozzo and McKluskey. You would think he would be sort of happy to see that his favorite son had finally given up on his staunch anti-mafianess and joined the ranks of the family business.
Let us remember the conversation between him and Michael in the garden AFTER Michael returns from Italy. Vito tells him that he never wanted this for him. He wanted him to be a Senator or a Governer. Michael was like the "independant" son who wanted to make his own way in life, on his own. Out of all the sons, Michael had the traits that young Vito had, in that he, like young Vito, would not allow anyone to choose or shape his destiny. Like young Vito it would have to be of his own choosing. Yes Vito wanted his favorite son to stay by his side and allow him to guide him, but Vito's intentions were for a legitmate life for Michael, with Vito's guidance of course. Vito showed his disgust at his other sons when he comes home from the hospital and asks "where's Michael" and they tell him that Michael was the one who killed McClusky and Sollozo! It was not the guidance that he had in mind for Michael, but because he, Vito, was not around to put a stop to this, his other son's had now allowed Michael to take the path that Vito had not wanted him to and this all must have went through Vito's mind when they told him that it was Michael who did it!
He wanted his son to stay close to him and seek out his father's guidance, but Vito would have never allowed Michael to take the path that he had chosen for himself had he been healthy and around.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21043
01/25/05 12:01 AM
01/25/05 12:01 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Thanks, Babe!

Re: Vito and Baby Michael #21044
01/25/05 12:11 PM
01/25/05 12:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally posted by olivant:
Thanks, Babe!
You're welcome!

DC - I must agree with your assessment. Remember, the Don wanted legitimacy for those family members that he felt were capable. He knew Sonny and Fredo's limitations, and he knew that the life was their fate. However, he had higher hopes for Michael, and even Tom. However, Vito also knew that every man has his destiny, and although this wasn't the life he would've chosen for his sons, he knew that this was what they were meant to do.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull