GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,583
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,057
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,421
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Wire #192404
08/12/06 11:26 PM
08/12/06 11:26 PM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline OP
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline OP
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
Anyone else seen this show on HBO? I think it's pretty cool and a nice contrast to the Sopranos, and the new season starts Sept. 10th I believe.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SPOILERS HERE

Last edited by SC; 12/01/08 12:30 AM. Reason: To add "Spoiler" Warning

Re: The Wire [Re: ap_capone48101] #345510
11/25/06 05:20 PM
11/25/06 05:20 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Can't believe i missed this post.....well maybe i can believe it
I watch " The Wire". It is an excellent show!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #478249
03/07/08 05:29 PM
03/07/08 05:29 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Any watching the series finale of The Wire this Sunday?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #478257
03/07/08 05:50 PM
03/07/08 05:50 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
New series has'nt even made it over here yet but i will be keeping a weather eye out for it!

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #478275
03/07/08 07:31 PM
03/07/08 07:31 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
One of my favourite programmes

ive seen the first series im halfway through the second

i love it absolutley love it!!!

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: The Wire [Re: chopper] #478969
03/11/08 07:38 PM
03/11/08 07:38 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I wish more folks had seen it so I could discuss it here. Anyway I really think that the show should have won some Emmys.
The finale was ...impressive.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #478979
03/11/08 08:15 PM
03/11/08 08:15 PM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
Great finale, I love Slim Charles!

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #478998
03/11/08 11:32 PM
03/11/08 11:32 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The Wire [Re: chopper] #479025
03/12/08 08:37 AM
03/12/08 08:37 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
 Originally Posted By: chopper
One of my favourite programmes

ive seen the first series im halfway through the second

i love it absolutley love it!!!

It gets better mate....i promise ya

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #479680
03/15/08 05:49 AM
03/15/08 05:49 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Looking forward to it mate

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
Re: The Wire [Re: chopper] #481058
03/22/08 03:42 PM
03/22/08 03:42 PM
24framespersecond Offline
Made Member
24framespersecond  Offline
Made Member
Greatest American television series ever made. I'd love to drop "American," but I haven't seen any non-American television drama series yet. I wouldn't even know what U.K., French, Italian, or Candian series that holds that distinction. Anyone have recommendations?

"There aren't intelligent television shows" is a common complaint. Well, The Wire is an extremely intelligent show that at the same time has humor, wit, and action/thrill value. In other words, it's intelligent entertainment; it's not a damn dissertation or thesis.

I'm surprised this show hasn't taken off on this site. It does delve deeply, and I mean deeply, into American and European organized crime - drug war in Baltimore and the international aspect of smuggling. Secondly, I notice quite a few of Law and Order fans here. I see no reason why those fans wouldn't enjoy the police and legal procedural aspects that is a huge part of The Wire.

Part of the attraction of The Godfather, The Sopranos, and other mob movies is that they grant us access to a world that most of us wouldn't have in a million years. The Wire does the same.

As for the series finale, the only other satisfying and great series final I know of is Six Feet Under's.

Re: The Wire [Re: 24framespersecond] #481624
03/27/08 06:53 AM
03/27/08 06:53 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
 Originally Posted By: 24framespersecond
Greatest American television series ever made. I'd love to drop "American," but I haven't seen any non-American television drama series yet. I wouldn't even know what U.K., French, Italian, or Candian series that holds that distinction. Anyone have recommendations?

"There aren't intelligent television shows" is a common complaint. Well, The Wire is an extremely intelligent show that at the same time has humor, wit, and action/thrill value. In other words, it's intelligent entertainment; it's not a damn dissertation or thesis.

I'm surprised this show hasn't taken off on this site. It does delve deeply, and I mean deeply, into American and European organized crime - drug war in Baltimore and the international aspect of smuggling. Secondly, I notice quite a few of Law and Order fans here. I see no reason why those fans wouldn't enjoy the police and legal procedural aspects that is a huge part of The Wire.

Part of the attraction of The Godfather, The Sopranos, and other mob movies is that they grant us access to a world that most of us wouldn't have in a million years. The Wire does the same.

As for the series finale, the only other satisfying and great series final I know of is Six Feet Under's.

I couldn't have said it better. It was always a cult hit though. Maybe it will get wider appreciation on DVD. I enjoyed The Sopranos immensely but I enjoyed The Wire even more-thus my signature quote from Wee-Bey..

Winter is Coming

Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #481628
03/27/08 09:27 AM
03/27/08 09:27 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Last ever series of The Wire comes to the UK in July on FX.

Still a while away that \:\/

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #481783
03/28/08 12:46 PM
03/28/08 12:46 PM
Don_Gordhi Offline
Don of Corleone
Don_Gordhi  Offline
Don of Corleone
Wiseguy
is it really a gangster tv shows?

Re: The Wire [Re: Don_Gordhi] #481792
03/28/08 01:04 PM
03/28/08 01:04 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yes it is!

It features the (well organised) black, street gangs of Baltimore who control the drug trade therein!

Re: The Wire [Re: Don_Gordhi] #481796
03/28/08 01:14 PM
03/28/08 01:14 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yes, it does show gangster activities. It also shows the effects of those activities, how good people and bad people on both sides of the law get caught up in institutions they can't control and make compromises.

It also links together widely disparate criminal groups -some more greedy and vicious than others-some just trying to make a (dishonest) buck. It shows folks from the white importers, for whom drugs are just one business of many, to the interlocking major Black organizations, to the slowly dying waterfront unions, down to the street level thug.

But ultimately The Wire is really about the city of Baltimore-though it could be any large city.

What I like most about it is that it doesn't neatly divide people up as good or bad. It's also got the strongest writing on TV as well as some of the best acting...

Winter is Coming

Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #481815
03/28/08 02:17 PM
03/28/08 02:17 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Fans of the show will find some good discussion here.

Re: The Wire [Re: Don_Gordhi] #482591
04/04/08 08:26 PM
04/04/08 08:26 PM
24framespersecond Offline
Made Member
24framespersecond  Offline
Made Member
 Originally Posted By: Don_Gordhi
is it really a gangster tv shows?

It's not the only thing the show is about, but yes, organized crime is maybe 80%-90% of the entire series and even the other 20%-10% is still tied to - in that it affects and is affected by - organized crime.

Lilo and Yogi broke it down concisely.

Trivia: law enforcement in NY said that drug crews in NY were trying to copy what the crews in The Wire were doing.

Another fun fact: Police rank-and-file, FBI agents, and lawyers praise the reality of The Wire.

Re: The Wire [Re: 24framespersecond] #482805
04/06/08 12:11 PM
04/06/08 12:11 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Just popping in without looking at other posts (due to spoilers), to say I finished season one in a few days. It's very good.

My thoughts:
Warning, Spoiler:
Greggs should have died. Key cops should be as expendable as key villains; the scene where she gets shot is masterfully done, but it won't have any emotional impact for me on a re-watch knowing that she survives (despite the slim probability). Minor niggle, though. While we're on niggles: Freamon getting with Shardene? C'mon!

Looks like Avon is going to be out for at least a while now; liked the slow-mo of him leaving the courtroom - one of my favourite moments of the season was when he made Daniels and McNulty in slow-mo in "The Game" episode.

I'm very reluctant to look at which actors play which characters, because I might come across major spoilers for seasons to come; even IMDb tells you how many episodes each actor is in, and I'd be able to work it out whether they're around for long or not. So, bear with me:

Favourite characters are McNulty, Daniels, Stringer and Bubbles. Also fascinated by any scenes with Rawls, Burrell and Phelan. The actors playing Rawls and Phelan are excellent; as is the guy who plays Stringer. The latter episodes, and the increasing emphasis on corruption at higher levels, are brilliant: in many ways, these big guns are the real baddies of the show. McNulty's outburst to the "empty suits" at the Feds meeting is admirable at the same time as frustrating; Stringer's charismatic enough for me to like him, while the men in suits on the right side of the law are just fucking sleazebags; love the scene wherein Daniels walks out on Burrell and Clay Davis.

I like the constant references to "the game", and the moral and political (the latter determine the former) conflicts that come with it. Since much of the characterisation of the show is developed via and within the workplace and people's careers, there's much to be said about existential dilemma in most of the characters. I love it.

I feel for McNulty when he finds out Rawls is after his badge, but then I feel (perhaps even more) for Bubbles when McNulty gives him money to get back to CI work on the street (if Greggs wasn't incarcerated, would that have happened?). That moment of resignation when McNulty says "You sure?" to Bubbles about giving Greggs's money back. Ya gotta feel for the guy, despite how fucking cool his strut is.

Oh, and you know what I love? That sudden crescendo of the opening title music after each initial scene. Forgive me, but when I first heard the music, I felt it was a tad cheesy; but no: love the bossa nova. Gets you in a great mood.

Pleasantly surprised to see Tim Van Patten directing the season 1 finale, too. \:D Also noticed Omar from "Army of One", the season 3 episode of Sopranos.

Warning, Spoiler:
On directing: also like the casual tracking(/crane) shots throughout the show; there's one in one episode that follows an orange cable from Omar's boy's corpse up into Wallace's place; and the commotion with which "The Hunt" opens, with the camera tracking through all the different characters.

Very De Palma-like.

Also: the ultimate character I love to hate is Levy. Fucking sleazebag.

Re: The Wire [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #482844
04/06/08 03:24 PM
04/06/08 03:24 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

In a somewhat ironic twist of fate, The Wire actor Christopher Clanton was stabbed on March 23, 2008.

The Wire actor Christopher J. Clanton is recovering in a hospital after he was stabbed in an attack in Baltimore, Maryland, on Sunday. The 22-year-old, who plays Savino Bratton on the hit TV show, suffered a knife wound to his chest and buttocks when a fight broke out at the Overlea Caterers Inc. social hall in the early hours of Sunday. Police were called to the scene and officers were forced to use pepper spray to disperse the 30-strong crowd, according to local newspaper the Baltimore Sun. But Clanton, who was taken to the nearby Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for treatment, claims he was not directly involved in the brawl. He says, "Mayhem broke out. I was trying to get out of the way. I wanted to get past one of the guys that was involved... It escalated from there." Clanton's injuries are not thought to be serious and he is expected to be released on Tuesday.

Last edited by Beth E; 04/06/08 03:26 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: The Wire [Re: Beth E] #485033
04/20/08 02:09 PM
04/20/08 02:09 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
It's a sad reality in Baltimore. The inner city Middle School picture is very much like Season 4. Remember the beating of the city school teacher that was videotaped a few weeks back? That was in an inner city Baltimore School. Very scary. The WIRE was very reflective of how it really is in Baltimore.My husband is from there and grew up in the Fells Point section in Baltimore and my mother in law retired from City Schools in 2002 and a big factor was the violence in the schools and no one does a damn thing about it.

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: The Wire [Re: Meggie] #486602
05/01/08 02:02 PM
05/01/08 02:02 PM
Chicago/KC
F
Frankie_Castellamare Offline
Associate
Frankie_Castellamare  Offline
F
Associate
Chicago/KC
I love the show as well. I think the first season was just as good as any. I like how they focused on the dealers, the junkies, the cops,inocent victoms, the politics involved. how the drugs are bought, packaged, and sold. everything is top of the line.
great show.

Re: The Wire [Re: Frankie_Castellamare] #487804
05/11/08 10:19 AM
05/11/08 10:19 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Im on season 4 at the minute looking forward to the second episode of the season on Monday.

Absolutley love the show

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
Re: The Wire [Re: chopper] #491052
06/02/08 02:53 PM
06/02/08 02:53 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
This show is an amazing achievement. For sheer narrative pace, momentum, intricacy, everyone interested in creative writing or writing for the screen should watch it. For social relevance alone, I genuinely think it's unsurpassed. As far as police procedurals go, its authenticity is unsurpassed. Gritty, realistic and utterly compelling; watch it also if you're a fan of court cases, political hierarchies, capitalistic institutions and urban structures, the decay of the working classes, chain of command bullshit and the drug runners (sellers, addicts, kingpins, dealers, etc.).

As far as portraits of failures in grand policies and the destructive process(es) of capitalism (degradation of human life, people treated en masse and not individually, the impossibility of chasing a career without some sort of compromise in day-to-day honesty) go, I can't think of anything more devastating or convincing.

Without doubt, the greatest thing I've seen so far this year (that includes films, too; each season here is like a long film, and the series itself constitutes a coherent, 60-hour epic). Inspirational isn't the word.

I fired through seasons 2-5; for those who are thinking of watching the show, do not hesitate. Seasons 1 and 2 are gripping, but it's seasons 3 and 4 that takes it to the highest levels of artistry.

This should definitely be moved to the general Film/TV forum.

Re: The Wire [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #494864
06/22/08 11:23 AM
06/22/08 11:23 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Open bracket hello full stop close bracket

Re: The Wire [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501125
07/21/08 04:42 PM
07/21/08 04:42 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Season 5 episode 1 finally on in the UK...in about 20 mins time on FX grin

About bloody time!

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #501335
07/22/08 03:32 PM
07/22/08 03:32 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Damn good it was too!

Click to reveal..
The bit at the start where they hooked the kid up to the photocopier and pretended it was a lie detector machine?

Hilarious lol

Last edited by SC; 12/01/08 12:33 AM. Reason: Add Spoiler

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #509086
09/11/08 04:07 PM
09/11/08 04:07 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Click to reveal..
Poor old Omar ohwell

He was my favourite character as well!

Last edited by SC; 12/01/08 12:34 AM. Reason: Add Spoiler

Re: The Wire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #510622
09/20/08 12:52 PM
09/20/08 12:52 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
GAH! Spoiler tag, Yogi!

I'm about to sit down right now to finally start watching season one of The Wire. I can't wait to get into the discussion with everyone!

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: The Wire [Re: Blibbleblabble] #511156
09/23/08 10:01 AM
09/23/08 10:01 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Sorry Blib, i just assumed that everyone in the world had already seen the Wire..... sick

Anyways i watched the last one ever last night. Not a bad way to end it but of course i am sad it has finished now frown

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull