GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 74 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goodfellas question #192387
08/04/06 11:10 AM
08/04/06 11:10 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
When Tommy was about to be made, Jimmy & Tommy tell Henry the good news. Jimmy said that "Paulie's gonna make him," or something to that affect. Did Paulie set Tommy up directly and authorize that Tommy be whacked? Or were the guys that ordered it (not necessarily those who carried it out) higher on the command-chain than Paulie?

Re: Goodfellas question #192388
08/04/06 12:08 PM
08/04/06 12:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
When Tommy was about to be made, Jimmy & Tommy tell Henry the good news. Jimmy said that "Paulie's gonna make him," or something to that affect. Did Paulie set Tommy up directly and authorize that Tommy be whacked? Or were the guys that ordered it (not necessarily those who carried it out) higher on the command-chain than Paulie?
Tommy was never going to be made. It was a set up to lure him to his own execution. Now in real life Tommy was killed because he wacked Billy Batts, a made man, who I believe was a Captain no less( The go get your shinebox scene in Goodfellas). Under the rules of La Cosa Nostra, when they want to apply them, you cannot kill a made man, especially a Captain, without a bosses permission. So Tommy sealed his own fate when he killed Billy Batts. What probably happened is that when the Gambino crew found out that Tommy killed one of their own made men, in all likelyhood they went to Paulie and demanded that Tommy answer for his actions with his life. Paulie probably ordered the hit on his own guy in order to keep the peace with the Gambino crew.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Goodfellas question #192389
08/04/06 01:02 PM
08/04/06 01:02 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
Thanks Don Cardi. I guess the only clue in the movie is when, after Paulie & Henry are out of prison, Paulie gives the warning that Tommy is too wild and takes too many chances. Perhaps Paulie had made up his mind by then to whack Tommy.

Re: Goodfellas question #192390
08/04/06 01:05 PM
08/04/06 01:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
What probably happened is that when the Gambino crew found out that Tommy killed one of their own made men, in all likelyhood they went to Paulie and demanded that Tommy answer for his actions with his life. Paulie probably ordered the hit on his own guy in order to keep the peace with the Gambino crew.

Don Cardi
Yes, absolutely. And Paulie had the authority to order the hit.
I've often thought that Paulie handled that one pretty cleverly. Though the Gambino guys easily could have whacked Tommy on their own, they chose to dump it on Paulie because, even though Tommy wasn't made, he was one of his "associates" and Paulie was therefore responsible for him. Had Paulie refused, and the Gambino guys stepped in and whacked Tommy, Paulie would have lost face. And it could have led to war. Instead, Paulie, by stepping up to the plate, earned respect and perhaps a reciprocal favor from the Gambinos by "doing the right thing" (he chose to abide by Mafia rules, which as DC implied, aren't often applied). At the same time, he got rid of Tommy, whom he described as "a cowboy with someting to prove"--a danger to him and his organization. Also at the same time, he spared Henry and Jimmy, who were good earners for him and who could have gone down with Tommy as well. Not a bad day's work for Paulie.
BTW: Henry Hill, in his latest book, describes the Batts affair exactly as it was portrayed in the movie. Other authors give different accounts, and none of them, as far as I know, describe Batts as a captain or even a made guy.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Goodfellas question #192391
08/04/06 02:41 PM
08/04/06 02:41 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[ Other authors give different accounts, and none of them, as far as I know, describe Batts as a captain or even a made guy.
Most of the books that I read never say that Batts was a Captain. It may have been Alan May who described Batts as a Captain in one of his stories, and if memory serves me correctly one of the John Gotti books that was written mentions something about Batts being a captain. I know that I did read that somewhere.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Goodfellas question #192392
08/04/06 04:43 PM
08/04/06 04:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] [ Other authors give different accounts, and none of them, as far as I know, describe Batts as a captain or even a made guy.
Most of the books that I read never say that Batts was a Captain. It may have been Alan May who described Batts as a Captain in one of his stories, and if memory serves me correctly one of the John Gotti books that was written mentions something about Batts being a captain. I know that I did read that somewhere.

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Ok, this was driving me crazy because I knew that I read or heard somewhere that Billy Batts was a made man and also remember reading that he was a Captain in the Gambino family. So I did some research and came up with this :

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William "Billy Batts" Devino (January 19, 1921 - June 11, 1970) was born William Paul DeVinno in Brooklyn, New York and was described as a long time friend of John Gotti and a made member of the Gambino Family in the 1960s. After spending six years in prison he was killed by Tommy DeSimone, with the help of Jimmy Burke and Henry Hill.

Little is known about his early life. In 1959, he became a member of the Gambino crime family and was made in 1961.
For rest of story for anyone interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Batts

Then I found this :

At an unknown point in his career DeVino became a Capo, or Captain, in the Gambino family .

Not saying that this is accurate, butI knew that I had read this somewhere.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Goodfellas question #192393
08/04/06 05:06 PM
08/04/06 05:06 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Wikipedia is not always the most accurate source for information. Now, I'm not saying that Billy Batts wasn't a capo, but in general, I find flaws in their articles from time to time. In fact, the Internet Movie Database no longer accepts Wikipedia as the sole verifying source for new information submissions. (Of course, the Database can be sloppy and unreliable at times, too - but that's another story.)

The Crime Library story by Allan May (about the Lufthansa heist) doesn't refer to Devino/Batts as a captain, but does make for interesting reading. Here is that particular page:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/gang/heist/12.html

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Goodfellas question #192394
08/04/06 10:26 PM
08/04/06 10:26 PM
Martin Joseph Offline
Button
Martin Joseph  Offline
Button
ok here's a question:

Did paulie whack Tommy, or did he simply allow Tommy to be Whacked?
Did he turn his head so to speak?

Re: Goodfellas question #192395
08/05/06 11:12 AM
08/05/06 11:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
IF the rendering in the movie is correct (a big "if"), then Paulie approved and ordered it. He told Henry that the Gambinos were "busting my balls" [emphasis added] about Batts' disappearance. And the guys who whacked Tommy were Paulie's guys.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Goodfellas question #192396
08/22/06 08:52 AM
08/22/06 08:52 AM
Riva, Maryland
J
Janice Offline
Wiseguy
Janice  Offline
J
Wiseguy
Riva, Maryland
I just bought the two disc set of Goodfellas! Love this movie!

Tommy was offed because Batts was a made man, and Tommy wasn't made.

Re: Goodfellas question #192397
08/30/06 04:27 PM
08/30/06 04:27 PM
Connecticut
finsnasty84 Offline
Button
finsnasty84  Offline
Button
Connecticut
From the book Paulie knew that he was going to get whacked but because Paulie believed in Mafia codes, he couldn't do anything about it, because Tommy Killed a made man.

gdfella

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull