GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,759
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Al Capone #191582
08/02/05 02:41 AM
08/02/05 02:41 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
about 4 days ago I saw the movie Al Capone with Rod Steiger in the lead role. My cable company was offering it on it's PPV channels.

My question is just how authentic is this movie? From what I know(make that what I think is actual fact, it's not very authentic) I'm sure Turnbull or another knowledgeable individual can bring me up to date. I do however think Rod Steiger did a good job portraying Al Capone.

All in all I'd give it about a **1/2

Re: Al Capone #191583
08/03/05 03:19 AM
08/03/05 03:19 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Iceman, the broad facts of Capone's career were portrayed more or less accurately in the film. But:
--His romantic interest, "Maureen Flannery" (Fay Spain) was total fiction. The real life Capone married Mae Coughlin very young and had a son with her. Though he had many floozies (mostly prostitutes in his brothels), none of his biographers ever credited him with a serious mistress.
--The police captain "Schaefler" (James Gregory) is very loosely based on a Captain Stege of the Chicago Police who tried, unsuccessfully, to nail Capone. But neither the Chicago Police nor the FBI nor the so-called "Untouchables" got him--he was nailed by Treasury Department agents on an income tax rap.
--"Mac Keeley" (Martin Balsam) is loosely based on Jake Lingle, a rewrite man for the Chicago Tribune. "Keeley" is portrayed as Capone's closest adviser. The real-life Lingle was on Capone's payroll but was never close to Capone--he was one of hundreds who were paid off by "The Organization" for various purposes. In fact, it's not altogether clear that Capone ordered his murder.
--When Capone came to Chicago, he did not go directly to work for Johnny Torrio. He worked for Jake (Greasy Thumb) Guzik, who mentored him. He got close to Torrio later.
--Although Torrio is generally credited with ordering the murder of his uncle, Big Jim Colosimo, and Capone with carrying out or taking part in the murder, Capone's latest biographer, Lawrance Bergreen, says Capone hadn't yet arrived in Chicago at the time of Big Jim's murder. Bergreen says the murderer was Francesco (Frankie Yale) Uole, Capone's Brooklyn mentor. (To be fair, Bergreen never makes a convincing case as to why Yale came all the way to Chicago to kill Colosimo.)
--Although Capone was slashed once by a prisoner at the Atlanta Federal pen and assaulted once in Alcatraz, he was never attacked by a mob of prisoners as portrayed at the end of the film.

I came out about where you did on "Capone." A great performance by the great Steiger (IMO, the best of his career, and certainly the best Capone portrayal of all those in movie history). But an undistinguished film overall. BTW: Nehemiah Persoff, who did a nice job playing Torrio, was the cabdriver in the famous "I coulda been a contenduh" scene in "On the Waterfront."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Al Capone #191584
08/03/05 03:42 AM
08/03/05 03:42 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Thanks Turnbull yeah I knew his romantic interest in the movie was total fiction. I guess one of my main gripes deals with the hit on Big Jim Colosimo. In the movie it's portrayed that Al Capone pushed John Torrio to have it done. It was always my understanding that John Torrio didn't have to be pushed he willingly had it done. Cause he knew Big Jim was a major roadblock in terms of profits from prohibition.

Re: Al Capone #191585
08/03/05 11:03 PM
08/03/05 11:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by The Iceman:
I guess one of my main gripes deals with the hit on Big Jim Colosimo. In the movie it's portrayed that Al Capone pushed John Torrio to have it done. It was always my understanding that John Torrio didn't have to be pushed he willingly had it done. Cause he knew Big Jim was a major roadblock in terms of profits from prohibition.
That's what I believe, too, Iceman. Torrio had the most to gain from Big Jim's demise. Bergreen's premise that Yale did it to enhance his influence in Chicago lacks conviction. Bergreen provides no followup. The next time Yale appears in Bergreen's bio of Capone is years later, when Torrio and Capone hired him to whack Dion O'Banion. That leads to yet another question: Why would a big-time Brooklyn racketeer like Yale hire himself out as a hitman for an assassination in Chicago?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull