GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 67 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,817
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Charlie on DVD July 19, 2005. #186889
07/07/05 07:41 PM
07/07/05 07:41 PM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline OP
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline OP
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
I personally feel that Get Carter is still one of the best film the British cinema had to offer in terms of Mafia Films. While the film had some flaws and shortcomings I felt that Mike Hodges did a spectacular job. I have never read the Original Novel by the unknown writer Ted Lewis but I have been searching for it and the two Prequels for some time now. Defiantly a timeless classic.

Recently I got the opportunity to watch Mike Hodges's return to the Mafia genre with a more or less Remake of Get Carter called I'll Sleep When I'm Dead. I was a bit doubtful of the film since it was basically yet another remake. But it worked on so many levels. Very different yet very similar. Clive Owen gave a competent performance and while this film is more of a character study the last ten or so minutes should please the die hard fans of the genre with its subtle yet bloody confrontation.

I missed an opportunity to watch Gangster No. 1 but it seems to be on later this month on IFC. The Preview made it look like a strange film but I am sure I will find something to like in it.

Which brings me back to this latest British offering called Charlie. It comes out in US/Canada July 19, 2005. Apparently profiling Britain's most notorious real life crime figure Charlie Richardson. Film received mostly bad reviews but it might be worth a rental.

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice" Tony Montana(Al Pacino) from Scarface
Re: Charlie on DVD July 19, 2005. #186890
07/07/05 11:57 PM
07/07/05 11:57 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick. V:

I missed an opportunity to watch [b]Gangster No. 1
but it seems to be on later this month on IFC. The Preview made it look like a strange film but I am sure I will find something to like in it.

Which brings me back to this latest British offering called Charlie. It comes out in US/Canada July 19, 2005. Apparently profiling Britain's most notorious real life crime figure Charlie Richardson. Film received mostly bad reviews but it might be worth a rental. [/b]
Gangster 1 is a very good film.

Was Charlie Connected to the krays!

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Charlie on DVD July 19, 2005. #186891
07/08/05 01:51 AM
07/08/05 01:51 AM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline OP
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline OP
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
Not positive mate. I did read one or two Reviews which mentioned the Krays. But how it is all connected or related I am clueless about.

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice" Tony Montana(Al Pacino) from Scarface

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull