GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 596 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,082
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,542
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Italian Slang #20424
01/03/05 01:52 PM
01/03/05 01:52 PM
B
BEdad Offline OP
Associate
BEdad  Offline OP
B
Associate
I need an Italian slang lesson. In GF2 when Frankie is talking to Michael at the communion and says, "Clemenza promised them ?ougotz?", then excuses himself and says "Clemenze promised them nothing.."
My dad used the expression but never told me its meaning.

Re: Italian Slang #20425
01/03/05 01:53 PM
01/03/05 01:53 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

it means nothing lol

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Italian Slang #20426
01/03/05 03:35 PM
01/03/05 03:35 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by BEdad:
I need an Italian slang lesson. In GF2 when Frankie is talking to Michael at the communion and says, "Clemenza promised them ?ougotz?", then excuses himself and says "Clemenze promised them nothing.."
Was it "stugots" or "oobats"? Stugots means balls (which makes sense). Oobats is "crazy" but I don't think Frankie is name calling with that mystery word. He name calls well enough in the discussion. orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Italian Slang #20427
01/03/05 04:43 PM
01/03/05 04:43 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I'm reading Joe Pistone's book, "The Way of the Wiseguy - Donnie Brasco". In it he refers to a wiseguys girlfriend as his "gumata". I've seen that word spelled other ways; like "cumad". Does anyone agree with Joe Pistone?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Italian Slang #20428
01/03/05 05:02 PM
01/03/05 05:02 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
pronounced "oo-GOTS" = nothing. Less offensive than using the word sh*t in english or italian. "He promised them 'ugotz'," sounds better than saying, "He promised them sh*t."

pronounced "goo-MAR-eh" = mistress or girlfriend. ("Have you met my niece? Well, this ain't her...")

Like a lot of Italian slang, I have no idea what the correct spelling should be...I only know it when I hear it. And some of that slang is affected by the region of Italy in which it is spoken as well as the American translation on the street. So what Pistone says is accurate for him, but might be slightly different for someone else who learned Italian then English in another part of Italy and the States.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Italian Slang #20429
01/03/05 05:08 PM
01/03/05 05:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by BEdad:
"Clemenza promised them Ugotz!"

Transalted : Clemenza promised them "balls"

Loose slang translation was the he promised them balls, nothing!

But he does say Ugotz!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Italian Slang #20430
01/03/05 08:07 PM
01/03/05 08:07 PM
Malmoe, Scania / Perugia, Ital...
Don Larzono Offline
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline
Made Member
Oogatz, Ugatz etc is from the Italian word Il cazzo, meaning c*ck, not balls. (cazzo is the most common italian curse words btw)

Il cazzo in Sicilian/southern Italian dialect is U cazzu.
U cazzu -> U cazz' -> Oogatz

Same with Oobatz which comes from pazzo = crazy

Allora, Pentangeli said, "Clemenza promised them dick (nothing)"

Pro Scania et Libertum
Re: Italian Slang #20431
01/03/05 11:21 PM
01/03/05 11:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In some parts of Italy, "ugaz" (pronounced "oogats") means "f*** you." The full expression is "ugaz a tan cul," meaning "f*** you up your ass." It always has a negative connotation, so everyone's post is right in their own way.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Italian Slang #20432
01/04/05 02:39 AM
01/04/05 02:39 AM
Don Larzono Offline
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by Turnbull:
In some parts of Italy, "ugaz" (pronounced "oogats") means "f*** you." The full expression is "ugaz a tan cul," meaning "f*** you up your ass." It always has a negative connotation, so everyone's post is right in their own way.
Interesting. Which parts are you talking about? It's most definantely southern italian, but do you know which part?

But still the "ugaz", even though in this case it is a shortening of a longer term, would be a local word for "Il Cazzo". Ugaz a tan cul -> The c*ck up your ass, i.e, f*** you.
You most certainly are correct about this Mr Turnbull, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just clarifying the word Ugaz.

Pro Scania et Libertum
Re: Italian Slang #20433
01/04/05 10:43 AM
01/04/05 10:43 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally posted by MaryCas:
I'm reading Joe Pistone's book, "The Way of the Wiseguy - Donnie Brasco". In it he refers to a wiseguys girlfriend as his "gumata". I've seen that word spelled other ways; like "cumad". Does anyone agree with Joe Pistone?
In my family, I've also heard it used to describe a child's godmother or a bride's maid of honor, as well as meaning someone's mistress, so I guess it all depends on context!! lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Italian Slang #20434
01/04/05 11:07 AM
01/04/05 11:07 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
[b] I'm reading Joe Pistone's book, "The Way of the Wiseguy - Donnie Brasco". In it he refers to a wiseguys girlfriend as his "gumata". I've seen that word spelled other ways; like "cumad". Does anyone agree with Joe Pistone?
In my family, I've also heard it used to describe a child's godmother or a bride's maid of honor, as well as meaning someone's mistress, so I guess it all depends on context!! lol [/b]
SB,

I'm not quite sure if this is the same word, and will only attempt to spell it correctly. However, my parents had good friends who were in their wedding party and their whole lives they call each other: Cumadee & Cumbadee (one male, and one female version). This held true, in my family, to anyone who was in your wedding party. I always assumed "Goombah" was a shortening version. confused

TIS

PS. I spelled it wrong I think. It's Compare' like in the Julius LaRosa song "Hey Compare'"

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Italian Slang #20435
01/04/05 11:27 AM
01/04/05 11:27 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS - It always sounded the same, and I assumed that they were interchangeable, but you may be right. It certainly sounds close enough that you'd have to watch how it was interpreted! wink

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Italian Slang #20436
01/14/05 08:25 AM
01/14/05 08:25 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the funniest thread I ever read!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull