GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,728
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186105
01/20/04 09:17 PM
01/20/04 09:17 PM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline OP
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline OP
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
Hey!

After viewing Carlito's Way I started to respect Brian De Palma, and when I watched Scarface the deal was sealed.

Carlito's Way: Has one of the most mesmerizing shoot outs I have ever seen. Ok well that's not exactly true, but I was amazed at how much tension there was. The beginning of the film revealed the ending, but when the ending came it was indeed thrilling.

Scarface: The ending shoot out was also great. I didn't feel the same kind of tension, but it had many great lines and the spectacular(World Is Mine) Reference.

Now here comes my Question.

Was the ending in the train station in Untouchables as good as Scarface and Carlito's Way?

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice" Tony Montana(Al Pacino) from Scarface
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186106
01/31/04 11:45 AM
01/31/04 11:45 AM
D.C./ MD or somewhere between
Scarface4ever Offline
Capo
Scarface4ever  Offline
Capo
D.C./ MD or somewhere between
yeah DePalma really knows how to do the shootouts, the Untouchables shootout was even more tense than Carlitos Way, still Scarface was the best shootout of them all

Ranked
1.Scarface
2.Untouchables
3.Carlitos Way

A Couple of Bulls Are Sitting On A Hill Looking Down Toward A Herd Of Cows, The Young Bull Says "Dad, Lets Run Down The Hill And Fuck One Of Those Cows" The Older Bull Says "No Son, Lets Walk Down The Hill And Fuck Them All" -Colors
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186107
01/31/04 12:04 PM
01/31/04 12:04 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
I still think the one in Scarface was the best, but the one in Untouchables was brilliant as well. The addition of the baby carriage rolling down the stairs is what made it so memorable.

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186108
01/31/04 12:28 PM
01/31/04 12:28 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
yeah Brian DePalma's shootouts are full of suspense and action. I enjoy them greatly. I like The Untouchables one as full of suspense and well done, but Scarface's final shootout is his best work ever for action scenes.

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186109
01/31/04 05:29 PM
01/31/04 05:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'd like the shootout in Scarface the best. I've only seen Carlito's Way once so I don't remember a shoutout (it's been awhile), but I did like the Untouchables shootout as well. The only problem with it, for me at least, is that it seems a little slow. It has A LOT of tension in it, but I think it could have been a little shorter.

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186110
01/31/04 08:21 PM
01/31/04 08:21 PM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline OP
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline OP
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
Thanks for all the feedback. I will rent the film tomorrow, and then post my thoughts. I will also do a comparison between Scarface, Carlito's Way, and Untouchables.

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice" Tony Montana(Al Pacino) from Scarface
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186111
01/31/04 08:34 PM
01/31/04 08:34 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I don't rate De Palma. Scarface was highly overrated, and I was expecting too much from The Untouchables. I taped Casualties of War through the week, so I expect a bit better from him, though if he does all that slow motion attempt at tension in a war film it may just suck big time as well. I will definitely give The Untouchables and Scarface another watch some time though.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186112
01/31/04 08:57 PM
01/31/04 08:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
I don't rate De Palma. Scarface was highly overrated, and I was expecting too much from The Untouchables. I taped Casualties of War through the week, so I expect a bit better from him, though if he does all that slow motion attempt at tension in a war film it may just suck big time as well. I will definitely give The Untouchables and Scarface another watch some time though.

Mick
Hey man, how can you say that Scarface (my favorite movie of all time), is overrated? I just gotta hear the reasoning behind it. Please dont' tell me your a LOTR fan, because if any movie is overrated, all 3 of them are!

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186113
01/31/04 09:03 PM
01/31/04 09:03 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Have you seen ALL THREE? I love them, and still think they're overhyped.

Scarface.... I posted my thoughts a while back, and have pasted them here....

My review on Scarface:

I am disappointed. Scarface is probably the most overrated film I've seen in a long time. Besides from Pacino's performance (which is not all that great anyway), it holds no entertainment value whatsoever, for me anyway; it is overlong, and I was bored withint half an hour of it starting. You don't have to think about the plot, it has no depth, and the action sequences when they come are very far-fetched. The support cast was...well, where is it?!

Before watching this film tonight my favourite De Palma film was Mission: Impossible. After seeing Scarface, it is still M:I. It is a gruesome flick that is perfect to watch when you have been belittled.

I would be happy to try it again as it probably is a movie that grows on you, but by Pacino's standards, the acting is poor at least for him (IMO) and the directing: well, De Palma exaggerates everything, so he should stick to films like Mission: Impossible, where realism isn't required.

Capo's rating: 6/10, or * out of ****.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186114
01/31/04 09:50 PM
01/31/04 09:50 PM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline OP
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline OP
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
Quote:
Capo de La Cosa Nostra I don't agree with most of the things you sad, but this is your opinion and I respect it. Brian De Palma is a genius. But I could only say this after I watched Carlito's Way ending shootout. It's masterfully shot, and had so much tension. He is overrated, but you have to give some of his movies a chance.

Casualties of War is a very hard movie to watch and I personally didn't like it myself either. But there was one spectacular scene involving Eriksson being trapped in the tunnel. I haven't seen any other war films having a scene like this, and I think De Palma knew this as well. While he copies, he can also be original. Also Ennio Morricone's score was excellent but not as good as some of his previous work. I suggest that you watch Blow Out and Body Double. Both underrated by the public, and at the same time very overrated by the fans. But both are very exiting, with some mild boring parts in between.

Quote:
Hey man, how can you say that Scarface (my favorite movie of all time), is overrated? I just gotta hear the reasoning behind it. Please dont' tell me your a LOTR fan, because if any movie is overrated, all 3 of them are!
Simple, because it's his opinion and he can say whatever he wants to. I also think Scarface is very overrated. This is the only time I will agree on with Capo de La Cosa Nostra. Except maybe the ending shoot out. It was also very overrated, and there wasn't as much tension as I was hopping for. But it's beautifully shot, with great dramatic moments(Al Pacino's Death Followed By yet Another "The World is Yours" Reference), amazing music in some places, and the famous line(Say hello to my little friend). Oliver Stone's script is not spectacular, but its definitely memorable. And sometimes that's better. I think the scene with the most tension is when Al Pacino had to blow up the car. That scene was truly amazing, and is on the same level as the ending of Carlito's way.

But in the end Scarface does indeed live up to it's reputation.

P.S I am a LOTR fan(Not a fanatic), but I do admit those films are very overrated.

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186115
01/31/04 11:42 PM
01/31/04 11:42 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Besides from Pacino's performance (which is not all that great anyway), it holds no entertainment value whatsoever, for me anyway;
Capo de La, that hurts me that you say that. I understand that it's your opinion & we are all entitled to our own, but how can you not think Pacino's performance was good? What's your favorite Pacino role? This is my favorite Pacino role because after seeing this countless times, I STILL have a hard time convincing myself that this infact Al Pacino. He's just so authentic!

Re: Shoot Out in Untouchables: As good as in Carlito's Way and Scarface? #186116
02/10/04 05:26 AM
02/10/04 05:26 AM
Helsinki
Charlie M Offline
Associate
Charlie M  Offline
Associate
Helsinki
Carlito's way is totally underrated! The storĂ½line is fascinating and the final shootout is tense! IMO the best de Palma film!

Charlie M?! You made me put your head in the fucking vice and make your fucking eye pop out for fucking Charlie M?!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull