GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 279 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,036
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,363
Posts1,059,357
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184248
07/05/03 04:39 PM
07/05/03 04:39 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline OP
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline OP
Underboss
Iowantonia
I'm gonna stop pretending I know what this movie is all about in the end...so I'm gonna ask, What's going on there? Didn't Max die? What's he doing as Senator? What's with the garbage truck? Help me, please.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184249
07/05/03 06:47 PM
07/05/03 06:47 PM
Toronto
Nick. V Offline
Nick. V
Nick. V  Offline
Nick. V
Button
Toronto
Hey! Yea I was quite confused myself. There's just so much going on in that scene alone. I mean I would like to see the Directors Cut, which is 10 hours long.

Max(Woods) faked his own death, as I understood. He changed his identity and became a senator. He is being investigated, and is afraid his empire will collapse. So he calls on De Niro to kill him. Woods only wanted to die from De Niro's hand. If De Niro did kill him by the time he would get outside he would be killed, and put in to the garbage truck. Woods wanted to die, but he didn't want to leave De Niro alive. When De Niro didn't proceed with the murder, we see Woods call of the garbage truck. The real reason why Woods called of the attack is because he realized the real reason why De Niro betrayed him. When the truck leaves and enters the tunnel, we see Max's face(body double who looks similar). The truck symbolizes Max.

I think we also hear a gun shot which is the mystery part of the movie(Did De Niro get Shot or not). But I don't recall hearing it in my version. Maybe I wasn't paying close attention.

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice" Tony Montana(Al Pacino) from Scarface
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184250
07/05/03 07:07 PM
07/05/03 07:07 PM
UK
Knocc Out Offline
Underboss
Knocc Out  Offline
Underboss
UK
I Just saw this for the first time the other day and it confused the fuck outta me lol, great film tho

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184251
07/05/03 07:24 PM
07/05/03 07:24 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
i believe it was Almamatter who wrote something about Sergio Leone. he read the book and said Once Upon a Time in America was wrote to have an ending that depends on the viewer. the viewer can set different endings, its like a fantasy book for adults. that garbage truck also confused me but what came to my mind first was James Woods committed suicide by grinding himself . . .

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184252
07/08/03 11:52 AM
07/08/03 11:52 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Look. I saw it this way.

Max faked his death and became a senator with a huge empire that had only recently in the movei started to crumble. Max Call on David to murder him because Max screwed Dave over by making him think he died and making him live with it. When Dave didn't do It Max commited suicide (Garbage Tuck. Owch!) The Truck driving off is Max symbolicly.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184253
07/08/03 01:23 PM
07/08/03 01:23 PM
Australia
TonySoprano Offline
Made Member
TonySoprano  Offline
Made Member
Australia
Quote:
The ending of Once Upon a Time in America is amazing, because it brings us back full-circle to the beginning, which is actually the middle. The degree of ambiguity contained in the final shot is astonishing, because it provides a plethora of possible interpretations. With a story like this, it's far more intriguing and satisfying than almost any other ending imaginable. Because we've entered Noodles' world and story through the portal of his mind, there's no telling what this last shot means. Is the "future" portion of the narrative a construct of his imagination? An act of penance (loss of money, exile, etc.) followed by resolution and redemption and the undoing of his culpability in the death of Max? Is it his imagined future... the one he hopes to live through? Or is that last shot simply indicative of the moment when the drug kicks in and pulls him out of the world he has created, giving him relief and peace, however false? Or is it the moment when he realizes that--with Max and the others dead--he is finally free of that life, and a (presumably) wealthy free man, to boot? This is, after all, a shot that would precede his discovery of the empty suitcase in the locker. Or is he merely smiling at the distorted Noodles that he sees in the mirror (who looks, by the way, a heck of a lot like the "aging" Noodles because of that distortion)? I have no idea which--if any--of these interpretations applies to Leone's intent. I like to think it amused him to boggle the minds of his audience, because despite the fact that we've just been on a tour of the life of Noodles, he's still an enigma at the end... as all people outside of ourselves must necessarily be. This is the sort of ending that makes you want to sit through the entire movie again in hopes of finding the "answer." But there is no answer to be had. Just questions and speculations, which swim about and nag you if you let them. This was my third viewing of the film, and I still don't have the foggiest idea how to read it beyond Leone's intent to intrigue. It's almost as if he mocks the very notion of comprehending humanity, or conveying comprehension through a neatly-resolved story on film. Which is just fine with me, because I don't disagree with that sentiment at all.
Taken from http://www.aboutfilm.com/movies/o/onceamerica.htm

Chris: "He could be out there stalking us right now..." -Paulie: "With what...his cock!

Tony Soprano : You're looking good. Looking better.
Junior Soprano: Tony, if you're gonna lie to me, tell me there's a broad in the car waiting to tongue my balls.
Tony Soprano : Hey, you want that, it's a phone call away.
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184254
07/08/03 05:41 PM
07/08/03 05:41 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Knocc Out:
I Just saw this for the first time the other day and it confused the fuck outta me lol, great film tho
You MUST watch the uncut version. There is a short version that is extremely confusing. The uncut version makes a lot more sense and is the ONLY version to watch!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184255
07/08/03 05:46 PM
07/08/03 05:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick. V:
The real reason why Woods called of the attack is because he realized the real reason why De Niro betrayed him. When the truck leaves and enters the tunnel, we see Max's face(body double who looks similar). The truck symbolizes Max.

I haven't watched the movie in a couple of years.Waiting for it to come out on DVD. However if memory serves me correctly, MAX kills himself in the garbage truck because DeNiro REFUSED to kill him. I always felt that in order for Max to clear his conscience, he needed Noodles to kill him, and therefore he would die with piece of mind. Noodles sees this when he meets Max, and realizes that the best payback to Max is for him ( noodles ) NOT to kill Max. Again, I haven't seen this movie in several years, so my memory of the ending may be a bit clouded.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184256
07/08/03 08:20 PM
07/08/03 08:20 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline OP
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline OP
Underboss
Iowantonia
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Waiting for it to come out on DVD.
Wait no longer. It's already out.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184257
07/08/03 10:31 PM
07/08/03 10:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Thank You Joltin Joe!!!!!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184258
07/09/03 12:22 AM
07/09/03 12:22 AM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by Knocc Out:
[b] I Just saw this for the first time the other day and it confused the fuck outta me lol, great film tho
You MUST watch the uncut version. There is a short version that is extremely confusing. The uncut version makes a lot more sense and is the ONLY version to watch!

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]the version i've seen is 226 minutes. is it the uncut version? if not how long is the uncut version?

GoodFella

Life Goes On

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184259
07/09/03 01:18 PM
07/09/03 01:18 PM
Nederland
Michael Corleone 14 Offline
Underboss
Michael Corleone 14  Offline
Underboss
Nederland
Quote:
Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
the version i've seen is 226 minutes. is it the uncut version?
Yes, it is the uncut version. The Two-Disc Special Edition is 220 minutes long, including extras. I'm intending to buy it, but I also want the uncut version, do you have it on VHS?

Quote:
"As boys the sweared they they would die for each other, as men they did."
Regards.

"I won't be a man like you." - Michael to Vito, orginal Part II ending
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184260
07/09/03 03:57 PM
07/09/03 03:57 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Corleone 14:
[quote]Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
[b] the version i've seen is 226 minutes. is it the uncut version?
Yes, it is the uncut version. The Two-Disc Special Edition is 220 minutes long, including extras. I'm intending to buy it, but I also want the uncut version, do you have it on VHS?

Quote:
"As boys the sweared they they would die for each other, as men they did."
Regards. [/b][/quote]Thanks MC14!

GoodFella

Life Goes On

Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184261
07/09/03 04:06 PM
07/09/03 04:06 PM
Nederland
Michael Corleone 14 Offline
Underboss
Michael Corleone 14  Offline
Underboss
Nederland
Quote:
Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
Thanks MC14!
Some day, and that day may never come I'll call upon you to do me a service.

"I won't be a man like you." - Michael to Vito, orginal Part II ending
Re: Help > Once Upon a Time in America... #184262
07/09/03 04:49 PM
07/09/03 04:49 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Corleone 14:
[quote]Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
[b]Thanks MC14!
Some day, and that day may never come I'll call upon you to do me a service. [/b][/quote]Stay with me MC14, help me meet death.

GoodFella

Life Goes On

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull