GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 270 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,003
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,277
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paulie #20158
12/19/04 02:45 AM
12/19/04 02:45 AM
Munster, Indiana USA
L
Lockformer Offline OP
Associate
Lockformer  Offline OP
L
Associate
Munster, Indiana USA
Paulie was killed because he "sold out the old man." What was meant by that? Also, what did Clemenza mean when he told Paulie to pick up all those mattresses? How could he haul them all in a car?

Re: Paulie #20159
12/19/04 10:34 AM
12/19/04 10:34 AM
dunsatble, england
jordyallen101 Offline
Button
jordyallen101  Offline
Button
dunsatble, england
In the novel its explained in more detail. I haven't read it for a while so im aa bit dusty on this one, but... They looked at the days Paulie had been off and they showed a pattern. So Sollozo must have paid him to be off sick because he knew fredo was the weaker more clumsy charecter and that he would be the driver. Also they feed the matress rubbish to him to see how enfusiastic he was. ie. in the book it says how interested he was in where the matresses would be; he could give the other familys the info for money. In my opinion they made up the matress stuff to see if he was intersed. Giving away he was the traitor. I think.

While im here... Why did they ever suspect clemenza of seeling Vito out? Isnt he the last person to?

errrr
Re: Paulie #20160
12/19/04 12:15 PM
12/19/04 12:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
"Setting up " the old man means that Paulie was the one to turn against the Corleone's by informing Barzini/Sollozo of Don Vito's daily routine. On the day that Don Vito was shot, it is obvious that Paulie knew what Vito's schedule would be like that day, and let Sollozo/Barzini know and then called in sick at the very last minute fully knowing that the weak Fredo would have to fill in for him to drive Vito that day.

As for the matresses reference, what are you guys watching/reading? lol Going to the matresses is a phrase that is used by mobsters when a war breaks out and everyone must go into hiding and the soldiers must also go into hiding but stay together. Apartments are rented, and matresses are brought in and placed all over the floors so that the soldiers can crash at those apartments, hide there and at the same time be on call when needed by the bosses to carry out a hit, or whatever. Basically a family may put 2 dozen soldiers in one apartment, therefore putting "matresses" all over the rooms for these men to sleep on. So if a boss says that we are going to the matresses, it is understood that we are going to war and need to go underground.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Paulie #20161
12/19/04 12:19 PM
12/19/04 12:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by jordyallen101:
Why did they ever suspect clemenza of seeling Vito out? Isnt he the last person to?
They suspected Clemenza because Clemenza was the one who brought Paulie into the Corleone family. On the DVD bonus disc there is a deleted scene explaining this whole scenario regarding Sonny suspecting Clemenza, but they soon find out that Clemenza had nothing to do with Paulie setting up the old man. It's a really informative scene and as I've said many many times before it should have been left in the movie.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Paulie #20162
12/19/04 01:01 PM
12/19/04 01:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Paulie was "a little sick all winter." I infer that Paulie was setting up a test for Sollozzo--checking to see if Fredo would drive for his old man, or somebody more formidable, and also seeing if the Don would leave the office at the same time even when Paulie wasn't there.
DC explained "going to the mattresses." In the film, Clemenza told Paulie to "order" the mattresses, not to transport them in his car. It was a ruse in any event, though the family eventually did go to the mattresses.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Paulie #20163
12/19/04 01:04 PM
12/19/04 01:04 PM
dunsatble, england
jordyallen101 Offline
Button
jordyallen101  Offline
Button
dunsatble, england
ive seen that scene because I have the DVD but it doesnt say why Clemenza would turn agints vito.
There releationship is strange; vito, teesio and Clemenza. Theyve none eachover for years but Vito seems to look downt on them. Do you think he would be insulted if they didnt kiss his hand or anything like that. Or would he understand os there friends. Also do you think the 3 could ever sit down and have a laugh together or was it a "non-sociable relationship? "

Thnks Don Cardi!

errrr
Re: Paulie #20164
12/19/04 06:32 PM
12/19/04 06:32 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Also do you think the 3 could ever sit down and have a laugh together or was it a "non-sociable relationship? "

Im sure the 3 of them was close friends and did alot of things together.its just something we will never know.As that wasnt in the story.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Paulie #20165
12/19/04 06:37 PM
12/19/04 06:37 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by DE NIRO:
[b] Also do you think the 3 could ever sit down and have a laugh together or was it a "non-sociable relationship? "

Im sure the 3 of them was close friends and did alot of things together.its just something we will never know.As that wasnt in the story. [/b]
If you watch the movie closely Clemenza and Tessio are hardly ever together, their areas are even very far apart.

It was in vito's best interest to keep them seperate so they don't work together and try and take over the family or something along those lines.

So maybe when they started out they were good friends but as the years went on they slowly seperated.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Paulie #20166
12/19/04 07:01 PM
12/19/04 07:01 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:

[/qb]
So maybe when they started out they were good friends but as the years went on they slowly seperated. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thats true.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Paulie #20167
12/19/04 07:12 PM
12/19/04 07:12 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Just to add to what I was saying before:

Vito himself the physical person is not "powerful" the thing that makes him powerful is the connections he has and the men he has working for him.
So say Clemenza and Tessio are good friends and decide they want to take over the family, vito no longer has the power because who does he have working for him? Luca? Sonny's "Crew" if he had one.

Another thing that I read somewhere and I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is this (turnbull will be able to correct it if it is wrong):
The family's TOP enforcer (Luca) was usually very well taken care of, sometimes to the point where he was almost "having a better life" than the Don himself. It was a way of keeping the Enforcer loyal and making sure he never tried anything against the Don, almost as if trying to take over the Family would actually be like a demotion.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull