GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,811
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182433
01/11/03 10:30 AM
01/11/03 10:30 AM
C
Captain Howdy Offline OP
Wiseguy
Captain Howdy  Offline OP
C
Wiseguy
Opinions?

I read the book about a year ago, and thought it was OKish. It had some great parts to it, but on the whole it lacked real depth and subtlety.

Certainly not a patch on The Godfather, and just not as memorable.

Well, I watched the film adaptation of The Last Don, and it was pretty mediocre. The acting/directing/cast were all fairly run of the mill, and the dialogue wasn't all that either.

It wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't anything special either. I think what saved it was that Mario's overall plot was pretty eventful.

Just yesterday I got hold of The Last Don 2, and as I'd expected, it was on the verge of being lame. I don't think Puzo had anything to do with this (except the appearance of characters from Part 1), and so not only were the cast/directing/screenplay crap, but the plot was bad too.

Not to whine to much, but I have to admit I got pissed when I saw KD Lang in Part 1 and Patsy Kensit in Part 2.

KD lang's acting was plain apalling, and Patsy Kensit's american accent in Part 2 was about as convincing as Bill Clinton's "Monica" speech.

Anyone else seen em?

Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182434
01/13/03 10:56 PM
01/13/03 10:56 PM
California
DonColletti Offline
RIP :(
DonColletti  Offline
Underboss
California
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Howdy:
Opinions?

I read the book about a year ago, and thought it was OKish. It had some great parts to it, but on the whole it lacked real depth and subtlety.

Certainly not a patch on The Godfather, and just not as memorable.

Well, I watched the film adaptation of The Last Don, and it was pretty mediocre. The acting/directing/cast were all fairly run of the mill, and the dialogue wasn't all that either.

It wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't anything special either. I think what saved it was that Mario's overall plot was pretty eventful.

Just yesterday I got hold of The Last Don 2, and as I'd expected, it was on the verge of being lame. I don't think Puzo had anything to do with this (except the appearance of characters from Part 1), and so not only were the cast/directing/screenplay crap, but the plot was bad too.

Not to whine to much, but I have to admit I got pissed when I saw KD Lang in Part 1 and Patsy Kensit in Part 2.

KD lang's acting was plain apalling, and Patsy Kensit's american accent in Part 2 was about as convincing as Bill Clinton's "Monica" speech.

Anyone else seen em?
I saw them, they weren't the greatest, but they were what I was expecting. Not a blockbuster movie, but not all of Puzo's movies can be like Godfather, another example is The Sicilian

His whole life was a million to one shot
Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182435
01/14/03 01:29 AM
01/14/03 01:29 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I was disappointed with the book. The movie Last Don was better than the book, IMO, mainly because of Danny Aiello (always good) and Joe Mantegna (usually good). Plus, they cut out a lot of that Hollywood b.s. that cluttered the novel. Last Don 2 was awful.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182436
01/14/03 01:48 AM
01/14/03 01:48 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I saw both The Last Don and The Last Don II when they premiered on tv and on repeats. I also have read the book and am of the opinion that it is a solid story but is not at the same level as The Sicilian (book, the movie was dreadful) or The Godfather as few books by any author are. I don't remember too much about the movies other than the basic plot (could someone jog my memory?) as the last time I saw them was quite some while ago but I remember that I enjoyed the first one more than the second.

Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182437
01/18/03 03:51 AM
01/18/03 03:51 AM
California
DonColletti Offline
DonColletti  Offline
Underboss
California
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I was disappointed with the book. The movie Last Don was better than the book, IMO, mainly because of Danny Aiello (always good) and Joe Mantegna (usually good). Plus, they cut out a lot of that Hollywood b.s. that cluttered the novel. Last Don 2 was awful.
It was nice to see how the movie business works, I mean after reading 3 of his books so far, i've figured out he is a man of history and truth. I thought it was a good add-on, also a place to make conflict with Cross with Athena.

His whole life was a million to one shot
Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182438
01/19/03 02:35 AM
01/19/03 02:35 AM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Turnbull? What would have made the Last Don 2 a better movie?

I thought it was Pretty good. The Family tryin' to discover who is knocking them off. The truth is revealed that a high ranking greedy official wants to make it to the top of boss in the Family.

The only thing that was messed up was that a traitor had to be the main villain

Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182439
01/19/03 06:49 AM
01/19/03 06:49 AM
belgium
M
marco's lover Offline
Wiseguy
marco's lover  Offline
M
Wiseguy
belgium
Sorry, I didn't think that The Last Don had that much to offer. Only because Kristy Ally played in it, made me watch the whole thing. Oh and this actor playing Cross -- of course. For the rest; yuck--big time.

I thought that the movie "The Silician" was done much better. But then again, the book was a good one too.

I have the feeling that the script for the movie "the last don" wasn't Oscar material to begin with. IMO, the script sucked.

Re: Who else has seen either The Last Don 1 or 2? #182440
01/19/03 11:22 AM
01/19/03 11:22 AM
Michigan
DonPalentino Offline
Underboss
DonPalentino  Offline
Underboss
Michigan
The Last Don was pretty good, just because of Aiello and Mantegna. The Last Don 2 was bad, I think it was only 178 minutes long and the plot was not the greatest.

Leonard: I dont know. See, I have this condition.
Teddy: Well, I hope its not as serious as his, 'cos this guy's dead.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull