GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BugsyM), 321 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,812
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170518
01/09/02 08:38 PM
01/09/02 08:38 PM
Great, let me repeat that, Gre...
D
Don Noledge Offline OP
Underboss
Don Noledge  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Hey guys! I thought you guys might wanna have a read of an analysis I did of The Untouchables film poster...

I've got to a presentation on in in college sometime, so any feedback would be appreciated, even though it is pretty crap and is writtin in kind of note form... But go easy, i'm only a first year.....

I've also included a picture of the poster'video case, so you guys can refer to it while you read...
--------------------------------------------------

The Untouchables film poster

Tagline plus Al Capone/Robert DeNiro:

The first thing you notice when you look at this poster is the large figure dominating the top half of the poster. This is Al Capone portrayed by the films biggest star, Robert DeNiro. The way Al Capone is displayed in black and white, whilst the rest of the poster is in colour seems to be homage to the classic genre of film noir. The fact that both Robert DeNiro and Al Capone were the films biggest "stars' would seem to imply why he has the largest picture on the poster, even though Robert DeNiro only took 4th billing for the film. Another reason for this could be, is the fact that Al Capone's character is far "superior' and "higher up' than "The Untouchables' below him, which is backed up by the tagline:

“…AL CAPONE. He ruled Chicago with absolute power. No one could touch him. No one could stop him. - Until Eliot Ness and a small force of men swore they'd bring him down…”

The phrase "higher up' doesn't mean he's greater person or a better person, more the fact that's he far more powerful, influential and rich than those beneath him are. A true fact that is played out to the maximum in the film. On the poster, Al Capone is in black and white, smoking an expensive cigar and wearing an expensive suite. He is hard to recognise as Robert DeNiro. This just goes on to show how rich, powerful and "connected' he is.

The above tagline gives us a brief insight into the film's story. It tells us the background to the story and one of the main characters – Al Capone. It tells us his position and what the story is about – a small group of men led by a man called Elliott Ness will bring Al Capone down. Although it doesn't actually tell who the characters are or what they do, common audience knowledge of Al Capone will let it be known that he was a famous Mafia Don, who controlled most the illegal bootlegging of liquor in Chicago and the US in the 1920's. The image of Al Capone taking up half the poster, the fact that he is "above' "The Untouchables' and the phrase:

“He ruled Chicago with absolute power. No one could touch him. No one could stop him”

All imply just how powerful he really was when compared to the four small men standing beneath him.

Also the phrase “No one could touch him” seems to imply that Al Capone was "Untouchable' himself. For people watching the film for a first time, they would think that the title of the film – “The Untouchables” was referring to Al Capone himself, as members of the Mafia are always referred to as a member of an organisation, in plural E.g. "La Cosa Nostra' or "Gangsters' rather than as individuals. They are referred to as part of a Crew or a Family. But if you have watched the film before, you will know that the title is referring to Elliott Ness and his men, which would seem to imply that although Al Capone "couldn't be touched by anyone', he could be touched by other "Untouchables' which is mainly what the film represents.

The phrase:

“Until Elliott Ness and a small force of men swore they'd bring him down”

Focuses our attention on the men at the base of the poster who are obviously Al Capones rivals and the men who will "bring him down'. The way the tagline says, “No one could stop him. Until Elliott Ness and a small force of men swore they'd bring him down” seems to imply the films outcome, that Elliott Ness will stop him. The use of the word "small' as in "small force of men' also goes on to imply just how small they were when compared to Al Capones criminal empire, even though they would almost certainly "bring him down' in the end. Also the use of the word "'swore' would seem to imply that they are policemen.

Eliot Ness and his men:

We now focus out attention on the four men at the base of the poster. They are "The Untouchables'. From their stance and the fact that they are holding guns, strongly implies that they are the men who are going to bring Al Capone down. We notice that they are all staring directly at us, as if to transfix us with their eyes. The man standing at the front of the group is Elliott Ness. We can tell from the fact that he is mentioned in the tagline and the fact that he is larger than the other men that he is obviously the leader of the group. This is also evident by the fact that he is pointing his gun at us, as if to imply an aggressive or action sense to the film.

The posters background:

We see that the group of men at the base are standing against a city background. We learn from the tagline that this is obviously Chicago, and that this is where the majority of the film will take place. The phrase “…He ruled Chicago with absolute power…” is backed up by the way Al Capone's character is positioned above the city background. These two things strongly imply Al Capone's rule and power over Chicago. This is a strong contrast to the way Elliott Ness and his men are positioned in front of the city seems to imply that they are protecting it, whether from higher influences and corruption, or actual physical violence.

Posters Title.

The placing of the title "The Untouchables' changes positions from the film poster and on the DVD and video cases. On the poster, the title is placed below the main bulk of the poster, with all the characters above it. This would seem to imply that the small group of men at the base of the poster just above the title are the untouchables, which is true. But when the title is placed at the top of the poster, above everyone, this one seem to imply that everyone beneath it is an untouchable, so this may confuse anyone who hasn't seen the film. Also the title is written in large and bold letters, to make it stand out and to covey the sense of overall strength and power.

Background:

Made in 1987 and directed by Brain DePalma. Based on a true story. There was a black and white TV series called "The Untouchables' which ran from 1959-63. There was also a series made in 1959 called "The Scarface Mob'. Scarface was Al Capone's nickname E.g. Al "Scarface' Capone. The series starred mainly the same actors as "The Untouchables' and was based on how Elliott Ness and some other policemen helped put Al Capone behind bars.

There has been a more recent series based on the story. A series also entitled "The Untouchables' was aired in 1993.

The film belongs to the crime/action/drama genre. This is clearly evident in the poster. There is the short description of the film, which gives us the specifics of crime, the use of aggressive poses and guns imply action and the overall tone or mood of the poster seems to stress that the film is a drama, and not a comedy of musical.

Stereotyping:

There is some evidence of stereotyping in the poster. For example, the small group of men at the base of the poster. They represent the classic example of stereotyping in film. There is the young, enthusiastic, honourable and "by-the-book' Eliot Ness. There is the accountant type, who is made to look intelligent with glasses and who looks totally out of place holding a gun. He also provides minor comic relief in the film. There is the young foreign sharpshooter and the older, wiser and more experienced member of the group Jimmy Malone. Al Capone's character is also somewhat stereotyped, as most people seem to think of gangsters as rich, dominant, well-dressed, feared and respected. This is evident in the way Al Capone is represented by Robert DeNiro by the way he commands respect and attention while in a fairly casual pose, and the way he is smoking a large and obviously expensive cigar and wearing dark glasses which obscure his eyes, which give him a more mysterious or 'removed' presence.

Historical accuracy:

Although the film is based on a true story, historical accuracy in terms of character representation, content and story all took a backseat to make the film more watchable and ultimately enjoyable. E.g. the character of Jimmy Malone played by Sean Connery in the film was totally invented for the film and the famous shootout on the railway station steps never even occurred. But the characters and story are represented fairly accurately on the poster.

Target Audiences:

The designers of the poster have catered very well for the perceived target audience. The Untouchables was voted the 50th best film of the 1980's, has been included in many "top 100' film polls and has since proved very popular, mainly with males, of all ages. The design of the poster seems to pay homage to the classic "film noir' style of film making, which would appeal to fans of the genre and members of the older generation. They way that the films main stars are represented also appeals well to target audiences. It shows three generations of actor's which would appeal to three generations of moviegoers. The older generation would remember Sean Connery from his roles in the James Bond films from the 1960's. Robert DeNiro was now at the height of his career, with groundbreaking films such as Godfather: Part II, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter and Raging Bull under his belt, not to mention his two Oscars. He would appeal to the current selection of moviegoers, as he was still at the height of his career. Young actors like Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia would appeal more to the younger generation of filmgoers, who can identify with actors of the same generation. So the way the poster makes the film appealable to all generations of moviegoers is a very clever technique, which would make the film more popular and ultimately more successful.

[img]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004CK8M.02.LZZZZZZZ[/img]

noledge

"If you win you win. If you lose you still win. Theres no way you can lose." Joey - Raging Bull
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170519
01/09/02 10:37 PM
01/09/02 10:37 PM
Brooklyn,NY.
T
Tyler Durden Offline
Capo
Tyler Durden  Offline
T
Capo
Brooklyn,NY.
nicely done my man

Tony Montana

First rule of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club. Third rule of Fight Club, when someone say "stop" or goes limp, the fight is over. Fourth rule of Fight Club, only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule of Fight Club, one fight at a time. Sixth rule of Fight Club, no shirt, no shoes. Seventh rule of Fight Club, fights go on as long as they have to. Eighth and final rule of Fight Club if this is your first night at Fight Club you have to fight.
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170520
01/10/02 12:28 PM
01/10/02 12:28 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
What class is this for? Sounds cool.

Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170521
01/10/02 08:55 PM
01/10/02 08:55 PM
D
Don Noledge Offline OP
Underboss
Don Noledge  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Its for a B-TEC (ND) in Media Production... I thoguht that it was mainly all gonna be on film studies and film production etc, but we only have one lesson (an hour) of film studies after we've watched a film, and just don't do anything! Arrrhgh! We do make small video productions though... Any Brit's might be familiar with the BBC Video Nation programme. Its just a short, about 2-3 mins, on something thats special to people... So I did mine on my fave film...

The poster assignment above is for Key Skills Communication, so since we are doing a media course, this was a fitting key skills assignment... Although I would have liked to have done it on The Godfather, what would I talk about? "Um, yeah, well theres the black background and the white lettering, an thats about it"...

noledge

"If you win you win. If you lose you still win. Theres no way you can lose." Joey - Raging Bull
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170522
01/14/02 05:01 PM
01/14/02 05:01 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
I hope you got a good grade on it...it was done very well.

Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170523
01/15/02 02:21 PM
01/15/02 02:21 PM
S
Sonny Offline
Underboss
Sonny  Offline
S
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Noledge:
Hey guys! I thought you guys might wanna have a read of an analysis I did of The Untouchables film poster...

It's a good analysis, but why analyze a "poster"??? Was that required??? Gee, good luck mate, you must have a Psycho as a professor...

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170524
01/16/02 04:11 PM
01/16/02 04:11 PM
Brooklyn,NY.
T
Tyler Durden Offline
Capo
Tyler Durden  Offline
T
Capo
Brooklyn,NY.
i think i read something about this type of class somewhere.sounds pretty cool...good work noledge...

Tony Montana

First rule of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club. Third rule of Fight Club, when someone say "stop" or goes limp, the fight is over. Fourth rule of Fight Club, only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule of Fight Club, one fight at a time. Sixth rule of Fight Club, no shirt, no shoes. Seventh rule of Fight Club, fights go on as long as they have to. Eighth and final rule of Fight Club if this is your first night at Fight Club you have to fight.
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170525
02/02/02 01:50 PM
02/02/02 01:50 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
im impress. very well done Don Noledge. . .
Quote:
"say goodnight to the bad guy."

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170526
02/02/02 02:56 PM
02/02/02 02:56 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I never thought I'd read a study of a movie poster, but I enjoyed it Don Noledge, and found it to be well written. Good luck with getting a high grade!

Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170527
02/03/02 09:00 PM
02/03/02 09:00 PM
D
Don Noledge Offline OP
Underboss
Don Noledge  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Hey guys, thanks for the postive comments and having the time to read it! But it looks like I won't be doing the presentation now as the lecturure who set it has left our course...

Aparently, he's having the same problems as Kevin Spacey in American Beauty... So I expect to see him working in McDonalds tomorrow! "Smile! Your at Mr. Smileys!"

Anyway, I enjoyed working on the poster and I have lots of other assignments coming up such as designing a poster, video cover for GF4 and also writing a script outline for it as well!

noledge

Re: My Untouchables Film Poster Presentation... #170528
02/04/02 09:06 AM
02/04/02 09:06 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
I thought it was an enjoyable read Noledge, pity you wont be able to use it. I've never seen The Untouchables before so I avoided this topic till the other day.

Oh and whilst your on about mental teachers. I remember a few of mine having real emotional breakdowns and breaking down and crying. I even felt sorry for them sometimes. I could never be a teacher if I had to teach someone like me. It is a real stressfull job though, the ones that do last have got some pretty big Cajones. Bigger than any Mafioso boss.

So die all who betray Giuliano

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull