GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 297 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,997
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,177
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
An idea for peaceful discussion #165792
09/24/06 11:33 PM
09/24/06 11:33 PM
Mad Johnny Offline OP
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline OP
BANNED
Let me stop here and say that I won't get mad if this thread gets shut down by JG or SC. I'm not starting another one of those kind of threads. However, at the same time I realize I post at the discretion of the moderators.

Here's the idea. Its very obvious that people do not have a basic understanding of each other’s cultures. And that's not only on the boards, but everywhere in the world.

I propose a discussion on how much does religion impact world decisions.

Basically, why do westerners have such a natural dislike for Islam? Is it based in religious ideological difference, or something else?

What is it? Let's face it, people in the west had misgivings about Islam before 9/11.

But what causes those misgivings and what is the view from the Islamic perspective.

I would appreciate it if people keep their cool on this and not fall back on rhetoric or highly biased opinions because let's face it, we're all guilty of posting crap on the boards. So let's try and avoid it.

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Double-J: may you serve us better from above, smile on from heaven

"Buh-Bye"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165793
09/25/06 12:36 AM
09/25/06 12:36 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Good luck cause as I've learned over the years, nothing causes more heat & controversy that religion & politics. And no matter how civil people try to be.

It almost always doesn't end up that way.

Me personally I have no use for religion at all.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165794
09/25/06 08:25 AM
09/25/06 08:25 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
How can the world possibly have peaceful discussions when we can't even get along on these boards? Seems like someone always has to have the last word, and then it starts an arguement with someone else. Granted, people are allowed to have their own opinions, but sometimes it gets ridiculous. That's why I sometimes don't post anything for a long time. Cripe, you can't even go on the games boards sometimes without there being a controversy on there.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165795
09/25/06 09:00 AM
09/25/06 09:00 AM
Mad Johnny Offline OP
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline OP
BANNED
While I'll agree with the last two posts, I do hope that people can act civilized.

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

"Buh-Bye"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165796
09/25/06 12:56 PM
09/25/06 12:56 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
You are not the first to request 'civility' on this board and you won't be the last.

While you probably have the best of intentions, this and most every other message board has moderators for a reason. If you can't handle criticism or debate, then don't bother posting.

For instance...what makes you assert that: "...westerners have such a natural dislike for Islam? ..." That right there is sufficient grounds for argument.

Best,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165797
09/25/06 01:34 PM
09/25/06 01:34 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Johnny:

Basically, why do westerners have such a natural dislike for Islam? Is it based in religious ideological difference, or something else?

Another Generalization! Another Generalization!

Why is it okay for you to throw out generalizations like chickenfeed, but you condemn perceived generalizations from those that disagree with you?

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165798
09/25/06 04:33 PM
09/25/06 04:33 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Don Alessandrio Offline
Capo
Don Alessandrio  Offline
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
Religion and Politics don't mix like money and blood, and two dicks with no chicks. That is why our fore fathers tried to seperate church and state. Too bad people don't follow this great idea.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165799
09/25/06 04:37 PM
09/25/06 04:37 PM
Mad Johnny Offline OP
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline OP
BANNED
You people are already starting. What was posted in other threads I would like to keep out of this one.

"Buh-Bye"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165800
09/25/06 05:10 PM
09/25/06 05:10 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
You people are already starting. What was posted in other threads I would like to keep out of this one.
There have been five members reply to you in this thread. All have "warned" of this happening.

Good luck (but don't hold your breath).

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165801
09/25/06 06:00 PM
09/25/06 06:00 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
If you can't handle criticism or debate, then don't bother posting.
Agree, but like Mad Johnny already tried to tell: there's a difference between debating and
Quote:
fall back on rhetoric or highly biased opinions
Quote:
Everything can be criticized. The idea of having a peaceful discussion is a good one. In the same post however, you also make political statements like "Why do Western people all have a distrust of Islam". That is debatable, and -this time I find myself agreeing with Apple and Klydon- a generalization. Maybe the majority of Western people distrusts Islam, but not all. I, for one, do not.

Quote:
What is it? Let's face it, people in the west had misgivings about Islam before 9/11.
And after it too. People have always had misgivings about other cultures, one of the reasons of war and racism.

Good intentions you have by the way, Mad Johnny.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165802
09/25/06 06:36 PM
09/25/06 06:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:

"An idea for peaceful discussion"

I propose a discussion on how much does religion impact world decisions.

Pope smokes peace pipe with Muslims

Castelgandolfo, Italy, Sept. 25 (Reuters): Pope Benedict today assured Muslims that he respected them and was committed to dialogue, in an unprecedented encounter to defuse anger at his use of quotes saying their faith was spread by the sword.

Reaction modest to pope's meeting with Muslims

September 25, 2006 1:44 PM

The Associated Press

CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy Iraq's Muslim envoy says it's time to leave behind the pope's remarks about Islam, and "build bridges."

===========================================================

Definitely a step in the right directions by BOTH religions towards respecting one another's beliefs. This meeting was an idea, by the Pope, for a peacful discussion.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165803
09/25/06 06:49 PM
09/25/06 06:49 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Definitely a step in the right directions by BOTH religions towards respecting one another's beliefs. This meeting was an idea, by the Pope, for a peacful discussion.

Don Cardi
Oh bull shit! What are you, a fockin' idiot? You don't know WTF you're talking about! You really believe that.......... oh wait, sorry.... wrong thread! :p

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165804
09/25/06 06:55 PM
09/25/06 06:55 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165805
09/25/06 06:58 PM
09/25/06 06:58 PM
Mad Johnny Offline OP
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline OP
BANNED
Its nice that there was a show of respect by both sides.

However, where do people go from here? I mean, what can people do to continue to close the gap?

There's a major hang up in Islam about the whole Holy Trinity thing. Is it differences like this that cause hatred, or does it expand beyond that?

"Buh-Bye"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165806
09/25/06 07:17 PM
09/25/06 07:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b]Definitely a step in the right directions by BOTH religions towards respecting one another's beliefs. This meeting was an idea, by the Pope, for a peacful discussion.

Don Cardi
Oh bull shit! What are you, a fockin' idiot? You don't know WTF you're talking about! You really believe that.......... oh wait, sorry.... wrong thread! :p [/b][/quote]The wrong thread? Oh shit! I must have posted on the wrong internet board!!!!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165807
09/25/06 07:26 PM
09/25/06 07:26 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
See it's all that Crown Royal you've been drinking

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165808
09/25/06 07:49 PM
09/25/06 07:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
... There's a major hang up in Islam about the whole Holy Trinity thing. Is it differences like this that cause hatred, or does it expand beyond that?
Don't you get it?

In the very same thread where you have asked for a 'peaceful discussion' about religion impacting world decisions, you have declared that 1) Westerners have a 'natural dislike' for Islam, and 2) Islam has a 'hangup' about the 'Holy Trinity Thing'.

You've asked what the view is from the Islamic perspective...yet you appear to have given it, according to your own POV, anyway.

You ask people to "...not fall back on rhetoric or highly biased opinions..." and yet that is EXACTLY what you are doing to initiate your idea of discussion.

You claim "...we're all guilty of posting crap on the boards..." and yet - oh, well you're right about that one.

But try & avoid it? After the blatant generalizations you've just made about BOTH cultures?

Valiant as your efforts are....you need to work on your style just a teensy bit. Otherwise, save it for the lieberry.

Like SC says...GOOD LUCK!!

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,

Amen.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165809
09/25/06 08:13 PM
09/25/06 08:13 PM
Mad Johnny Offline OP
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline OP
BANNED
I want both perspectives. And a majority of westerners do have some tense feelings about Islam. And Islam does take issue with the Trinity.

And your post is not promoting the discussion. Rather, you have seen fit to pick the idea apart instead of saying anything useful for the discussion.

I will not fall victim to your trap.

"Buh-Bye"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165810
09/25/06 08:14 PM
09/25/06 08:14 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,

Amen.

Apple
Someone looking for me?

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165811
09/25/06 08:37 PM
09/25/06 08:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
There's a major hang up in Islam about the whole Holy Trinity thing.
I don't know that "major hangup" is the right term to use. Perhaps a better term would be "major misunderstanding."

According to most religious scholars, Muhammad thought that Christians worshiped three gods: the Father, the Mother (Mary), and the Son (Jesus), (Sura 5:73-75,116).
But in reality, Christians believe in only one God who is in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They do not believe that Mary is a part of the Trinity.

And this is where the misunderstanding probably comes into play. Many Christians probably do NOT realize that the Muslims have been taught this way about the Holy Trinity. And many Muslims probably do not realize that what they've been taught is actually NOT what the Christian people believe.

This is why I feel that it is extremely important for the legitimate leaders of their respective religions ( not the extremists who teach hate and violence, but the true followers) to sit down with each other and educate each other on what each religion really teaches and represents.

Much of the world has been misguided because many who are followers of one religion do not really understand the true teachings of another religion. And the reason that many in the world have been misguided is because the fanatical extremists, be they Muslim, Christian, Jewish or whatever, have misrepresented and painted a false picture of those religions.

The leaders from all of these religions MUST speak out and make others realize that these fanatics do not represent the teachings of the religions that they claim to represent and that these fanatical extremists are NOT a part of the true religion itslef.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165812
09/25/06 09:08 PM
09/25/06 09:08 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Yeah, what DC said. Thank you.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165813
09/25/06 09:10 PM
09/25/06 09:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Ah, DC, if wishing only made it so!! I agree that education is key to tolerance. Only by learning, REALLY learning, about one another can we truly understand someone whose beliefs may be different than ours. Education washes away stereotypes and misconceptions.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165814
09/26/06 08:04 AM
09/26/06 08:04 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
and educate each other on what each religion really teaches and represents.
Most people don't even understand their own religion. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that this anxiety between the Western world and the Muslim world is more of a cultural problem instead of theological misgivings?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165815
09/26/06 10:10 AM
09/26/06 10:10 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[QUOTE]
Is it possible that this anxiety between the Western world and the Muslim world is more of a cultural problem instead of theological misgivings?
I concur. I disagree firmly that most westerners dislike Islam. I think many westerners don't pay enough attention to their own religion, so they certainly have no interest in the theological teachings of Islam. The tensions result from our perceptions. Ours in the west are shaped, in part, by the events in the Middle East, the string of terrorist attacks against us here and abroad, the taking of hostages, etc. and the responses among Muslim nations.

I can't speak for the Muslim people around the world, most of whom are good people. However, I doubt that even the extremists dislike Catholics because of the Holy Trinity. Just as the west's tensions do not result from problems with the religious beliefs of Islam. Both religions (and many others) profess the tenet, in some form, of "Do unto others as you will have done unto you."

Fanatic voices from the West and Middle East may try to frame the conflict in religious terms to inflame passions. But the gap between us on theological feelings is smaller than they would like us to believe.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165816
09/26/06 10:43 AM
09/26/06 10:43 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] and educate each other on what each religion really teaches and represents.
Is it possible that this anxiety between the Western world and the Muslim world is more of a cultural problem instead of theological misgivings? [/b][/quote]I believe that it is more of a cultural problem instead of theological problem. And what Klydon1 said is true.

However, I do believe that even though the anxiety between the Western world and the Muslim world is more of a cultural problem, at the same time the extremists have painted a false picture to the western world of what the Muslim religion really teaches and believes. They've also managed to deceive many good Muslim people into believing that the western world's beliefs are a threat to the Islamic religion itslef. And by the same token the extremist Christians and Jews have also deceived many from the western world into believing that the Islamic religion is a threat to the Hebrew and the Christian religions.

By the fanatical extremists misrepresenting their own religion and painting a false picture of all other religions, they've managed to add more misunterstanding, confusion and strife in regards to theological teachings from these religions. And for this reason I believe that one of the first steps in closing this huge gap between the two cultures is for religious leaders from all sides to step up, have some dialogue, and educate each other so that they can educate their own flocks as to what these religions really and truly belive in and represent.

I feel that if this is done between these religious leaders, and passed on to the people of these religions, the theoligical anxieties that do exist will become less and less and as all begin to understand and respect what the other religions truly stand for and represent, you will begin to see the huge cultrual gap between the western world and the muslim world begin to shrink.

Let's face it, most of what has caused such anxiety and strife on both cultures has been the misrepresentation and the false teachings of those extremists who claim to represent certain religions.

As for the trinity issue, no, it is not a major factor in the differences between both cultures. I was only replying to what was brought up about it and was using it as an example of as why one culture does not understand what the other culture is taught and believes in.

Respect and understanding for one anothers culture must begin somewhere, and being that the religious beliefs and teachings of these cultures seems to be the major topic of talks whenever something occurs between these cultures, it is important to create a foundation that will support the efforts of building relationships and understanding between these cultures. And the laying of that foundation, in my opinion, should begin with understanding the religious beliefs and teachings of these religions.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165817
09/26/06 10:58 AM
09/26/06 10:58 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Well said. I agree that the religious leaders are and will be instrumental in bridging the gap.

I believe that this is done beautifully in New York. I recall the installation of Cardinal O'Connor (who had been the bishop in my original hometown of Scranton) in the mid-1980's. Religious leaders among the Muslim, Jewish, Greek Orthodox and Protestant communities gathered at St. Patrick's to welcome him. It is a great atmosphere for interfaith relations and respect. Our similarities take precedence over our differences.

Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165818
09/26/06 11:48 AM
09/26/06 11:48 AM
Cincinnati, Oh
Don Alessandrio Offline
Capo
Don Alessandrio  Offline
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
I am under the impression that what the extremist teach is that the West is bad because we only are helping them for our own finacial gain. They preach that we extort the Middle East to profit ourselves and do not really care about the well being of the people. I know our leaders say the right things and from my perspective do the right things but extremist teach that these are empty promises and feelings.

In my opinion it is really out of jealousy that the extremist try to destroy the west.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165819
09/26/06 12:44 PM
09/26/06 12:44 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
I think Americans have a bad taste for Islam because we blame a lot political behavior on the religion. However, to what extent the behavior is inspired by the religion? or to what extent it is purely economic/political actions by religious people? or is simply a means of using religious rhetoric to justify a need to conquer neighbors and committ atrocities against them? That's the debate.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165820
09/26/06 01:29 PM
09/26/06 01:29 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Quote:
Originally posted by Saladbar:
I think Americans have a bad taste for Islam because we blame a lot political behavior on the religion. However, to what extent the behavior is inspired by the religion? or to what extent it is purely economic/political actions by religious people? or is simply a means of using religious rhetoric to justify a need to conquer neighbors and commit atrocities against them? That's the debate.
Americans feel the way that they do because the nutcases who say that they are doing the work of allah but are really not are the ones guilty of using religious rhetoric to justify the need to conquer neighbors and commit atrocities. they are the ones who have brought on this bad taste.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: An idea for peaceful discussion #165821
09/26/06 02:57 PM
09/26/06 02:57 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Saladbar:
I think Americans have a bad taste for Islam because we blame a lot political behavior on the religion.
You're right, it wasn't radical Islamic fundamentalists who attacked on 9/11! We just decided to shuffle the blame in their direction because we've gotten tired of bastardizing Catholics.

Err... :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull