GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, m2w), 97 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,753
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,301
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,527
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,407
Posts1,060,385
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Value of someone's life #164305
08/31/06 12:22 PM
08/31/06 12:22 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Don Alessandrio Offline OP
Capo
Don Alessandrio  Offline OP
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
I didn't know this and I am not surprised by this. When a medical malpractice has occured the compensation to the family is determined by the victim's worth. Major factors that are considered in someone's worth include: Income of family, Highest level of education the victim and the victim's immediate family has achieved, residence. Now I know you need some sort of guidelines to determine the amount of compensation, but this is kinda screwed up.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: Value of someone's life #164306
08/31/06 12:39 PM
08/31/06 12:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Actually Don Allesandro, it is not only used in medical malpractice cases. It is also used in accidental death, murder, etc where settlements, distribution of donated funds and civil suits may be involved.

Many times, especially when there are surviving children involved, the time that the deceased parent would have spent with the child or children had they not died, is taken into consideration and calculated for any monetary damages that may be awarded to the family.

I personally know someone who went through exactly what you are talking about as far as considering the value of a person's life. Her husband was killed on 9/11 and when those in charge of the 9/11 fund were figuring out the amount of money that should be distributed to each family, she had to appear and was asked how much time her husband spent with the children while he was alive, how many times a week he mowed the lawn, how many hours a day did he help her in cleaning the house, who took car of bringing the car for repairs, etc. etc. Things you or I would never even think are considered in deciding monetary damages. All these factors were considered, calculated and then converted to a monetary amount, in order for those in charge to decide how much each family deserved to get from the fund.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Value of someone's life #164307
08/31/06 01:03 PM
08/31/06 01:03 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Capo
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
I am sure the process is very difficlut to determine the amount of money is rewarded, and a job I never want to do. But the context in which I thought about this is 2 families who have the same number of kids and one child is killed in the same way. One family is from a wealthy neighborhood and another from the projects. The family in the wealthier neighborhood would receive more compensation for losing their child than the family in the projects. But is one child really worth more to the family than the other? Considering that we are told that in the US anyone can grow up to be President.

I do see how 2 fathers are killed and one was a shitty father and one was "The World's Greatest Dad". That the family of the shitty father should receive less because they obviously have survived without his help. And the other family should receive more because they lost a true provider.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: Value of someone's life #164308
08/31/06 01:05 PM
08/31/06 01:05 PM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I personally know someone who went through exactly what you are talking about as far as considering the value of a person's life. Her husband was killed on 9/11 and when those in charge of the 9/11 fund were figuring out the amount of money that should be distributed to each family, she had to appear and was asked how much time her husband spent with the children while he was alive, how many times a week he mowed the lawn, how many hours a day did he help her in cleaning the house, who took car of bringing the car for repairs, etc. etc. Things you or I would never even think are considered in deciding monetary damages. All these factors were considered, calculated and then converted to a monetary amount, in order for those in charge to decide how much each family deserved to get from the fund.
Seems pragmatic if somewhat cold. It sometimes amazes me as to the information that corporations find valuable.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: Value of someone's life #164309
08/31/06 03:07 PM
08/31/06 03:07 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Her husband was killed on 9/11 and when those in charge of the 9/11 fund were figuring out the amount of money that should be distributed to each family, she had to appear and was asked how much time her husband spent with the children while he was alive, how many times a week he mowed the lawn, how many hours a day did he help her in cleaning the house, who took car of bringing the car for repairs, etc. etc. Things you or I would never even think are considered in deciding monetary damages.
That's sick. What the hell? There are 6.4 billion people on these planet and they are all human beings that shouldn't be judged in cases like this on conditions like these.
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
factors that are considered in someone's worth include: Income of family,
I can accept the income difference. When you have to struggle to get everything paid, a financial injection can make you in fact happier. If there is for instance 10,000 dollar to divide between two families, one of them verty poor, one of them very rich; then I would give 7,000 to the poor family, 3,000 to the rich.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Value of someone's life #164310
08/31/06 03:10 PM
08/31/06 03:10 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Capo
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
factors that are considered in someone's worth include: Income of family,
I can accept the income difference. When you have to struggle to get everything paid, a financial injection can make you in fact happier. If there is for instance 10,000 dollar to divide between two families, one of them verty poor, one of them very rich; then I would give 7,000 to the poor family, 3,000 to the rich. [/QB][/QUOTE]

But it is the opposite. The rich family gets more than the poor family. thats why I think it is screwed up.

Re: Value of someone's life #164311
08/31/06 03:59 PM
08/31/06 03:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I can tell you that the calculation of awards by juries in wrongful death cases aren't that scientific. Sure, they take into account the expected earnings, life expectancy, loss of consortium, as well as the depth of the pockets of the responsible parties, but it is far from an exact science.

Funny story about juries and damages. A thief, fleeing a crime scene, runs head first into a parked city bus while looking away. The criminal breaks his neck, and becomes partially paralyzed, and promptly sues the city because the bus was parked 6-12'' beyond the legal limit from the curb.

11 of the 12 deliberating jurors immediately agree that this guy shouldn't profit from his crime and his own negligence caused the accident. The 12th, who recently lost a case against the city about parking tickets kept saying, "Give him $5 million."

The foreman, trying to reason with him, said, "Even if we wanted to, the judge said that the state laws limited the city's liability in these types of cases to only $2 million." The hold-out persisted and disagreed.

Finally the foreman got the hold-out to agree that if this were indeed the case, he'd go along with the others and find for the city. Accordingly, the foreman asked the judge by written note, which was read in the presence of the jurors, "Can we award more than $5 million?"

The City immediately settled with the thief for $500,000 before the jury could return with a verdict against the thief.

Re: Value of someone's life #164312
08/31/06 05:47 PM
08/31/06 05:47 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The State and Love are two mutually exclusive concepts.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Value of someone's life #164313
09/02/06 12:08 PM
09/02/06 12:08 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

What about the Ministry of Love?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull