GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 62 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,158
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,812
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Italy television documentary #162864
08/05/06 11:34 PM
08/05/06 11:34 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Did anyone happen to catch the documentary Little Italy: Past, Present and Future that aired in the NYC area Saturday evening on our local NBC station?

I'm surprised it was not shown on Public Television, but maybe I shouldn't be; I think all our local PBS stations are again showing Doo Wop Reunion shows or Andrea Bocelli concerts for the millionth time.

Opinions, anyone?

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162865
08/06/06 07:55 AM
08/06/06 07:55 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I didn't see it, but what could they show about its present and future?? There's very little Little Italy left. Aside from a handful Italian restaurants, it's been swallowed up by Chinatown. I would've liked to see about the past, though.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Little Italy television documentary #162866
08/06/06 09:33 AM
08/06/06 09:33 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Obviously it wasn't on our local stations here, but I'd love to see a documentary on Little Italy. I was only there once so I can't compare how it used to be. I still would like to visit it again though. Is Chinatown bigger than Little Italy now?

One thing that I found so interesting & neat when I was in NYC was the diversity of cultures/languages. During my long walks I'd pass people speaking languages that I didn't know. Here in California it's Spanish or English.

Btw Vitelli, they did have that Doo Wop on public television here just last night.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162867
08/06/06 11:11 AM
08/06/06 11:11 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Is Chinatown bigger than Little Italy now?

One thing that I found so interesting & neat when I was in NYC was the diversity of cultures/languages. During my long walks I'd pass people speaking languages that I didn't know. Here in California it's Spanish or English.

Btw Vitelli, they did have that Doo Wop on public television here just last night.
TIS
Chinatown has been swallowing up Little Italy for a long time. Far more Asians than Italians have emigrated to America in the last few decades. Chinatown has a lot of sweatshops, too, that employ many illegals. Same thing's happening in parts of Brooklyn.

Census Bureau last year reported that New York's immigrant population percentage is higher today than at any time since the early '20's, when restrictive legislation was passed. Your observation is right on, TIS--much of NYC looks and sounds like "Blade Runner." If you watch the news on TV, nearly all the people interviewed on the street have foreign accents.

PBS's Doo-Wop show was another begathon--one third music, two thirds begging.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Little Italy television documentary #162868
08/06/06 11:27 AM
08/06/06 11:27 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I know that now it is all businesses, but assume in the early days there were residences there no? My grandparents were in NYC for a short time when they came from Sicily, and I wonder if they lived in Little Italy.

Btw, how many "Littles" are in NYC??? Little Italy/Chinatown are the most popular, but I assume there are other ethnic areas as well.

TIS

Btw, on a side note, I want to go back to Little Italy when I'm in NY. Any suggestions on a decent restaurant to eat at? Also, I wouldn't have a problem getting a cab anytime of the day or night to/from L.I. would I???

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162869
08/06/06 01:20 PM
08/06/06 01:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
There are still decent restaurants in Little Italy. When Beth and her daughter were visiting last year, we met at Sal Anthony's SPQR for dinner on a Sunday. Here's the website: Little Italy Restaurant . We had the Prix-Fixe dinner, three courses for $30. It was pretty good food. Across the street is Il Fornaio, which is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never eaten there.

For a real Italian neighborhood with authentic shops and restaurants, I would rather go to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. It, too, is shrinking, but many of the stores are still owned by the original families and the restaurants are all very good. You could make a day of it, and include the Botanical Gardens or the Bronx Zoo, as they are very close.

As for taxis, it's never a problem getting a taxi in NYC to take you just about anywhere, but they will charge you an arm and a leg, most probably. If you're visiting someone, you might want to take the train and have them pick you up at the station. You might have trouble getting a taxi back, and would probably have to call a private cab company in Long Island. Additionally, traffic in LI is usually not good, and you'd end up seeing the meter click away while you sat on the LIE.

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162870
08/06/06 03:07 PM
08/06/06 03:07 PM
Detroit
TonyD Offline
Underboss
TonyD  Offline
Underboss
Detroit
The show on Little Italy sounds great. One of these days I'm gonna visit.

I don't mind the Doo Wop Reunion shows or Andrea Bocelli concerts too much. I really like doo wop, and Bocelli's music too (especially that show he did with Sarah Brightman).
I agree, some PBS stations do re-air the same stuff way too much. Here in Detroit it's the self help stuff that drives me nuts ... I'd as soon watch documentaries on sea mammals (another one that bores me to tears).

"we are bigger than US Steel" ... Hyman Roth and Meyer Lansky
Re: Little Italy television documentary #162871
08/06/06 04:00 PM
08/06/06 04:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162872
08/06/06 04:53 PM
08/06/06 04:53 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, I'm watching Andrea Bocelli now on NJN. It's his Vegas concert. He just finished singing a few songs, and now the begging comes. Time to switch to Field of Dreams on HBO Family.

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162873
08/08/06 02:17 PM
08/08/06 02:17 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Whats the name of the place that claims to have the first espresso in America? I forgot, but I think it starts w/ an "f"

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Little Italy television documentary #162874
08/08/06 04:37 PM
08/08/06 04:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
You may be referring to Ferrara's, which is famous for coffee and pastries.

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162875
08/08/06 06:37 PM
08/08/06 06:37 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Actually, I was sitting in front of Ferrara's this very afternoon for awhile, taking in the passing show.

Having nothing but time on my hands today, I decided to head into Manhattan (from the wilds of Brooklyn) and take a walk around what is left of Little Italy. And, as has been noted in previous posts, there is much less remaining than there was. I hadn't been there for any length of time since I had dinner with some friends at Puglia's around seven or so years ago.

The few blocks I walked were packed with tourists, and there seems to be mostly wall-to-wall restaurants along Mulberry St. punctuated by a few "gift shops" (mostly what I call the "souvenir hat, shirt and keychain" type). Most of the shirts displayed outside these shops had every type of profanity silk-screened on them (Gee, I'm a real New Yorker! I can swear with the best of 'em!), and there were a lot of touristy things relating to The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Sopranos, Scarface, etc. Not everything, mind you, but a lot of things. And, almost all of these stores are now Asian-owned.

I sat down on a bench in front of Ferrara's on Grand St. to give my tired feet a rest. The Little Italy I remember as a child is pretty much gone, but things in this world do change. Mott St. (where Genco Olive Oil Co. was located in the film) is all Asian stores and markets. Still, there are lots of Italian restaurants (many with outdoor tables) to chose from if one desires a meal. Maybe too many; with such a proliferation, some eateries may be worthwhile, some may be mediocre tourist-traps. (Old Chinese proverb: "Man who has choice has troubles.") Actually, the only Italian I heard spoken on the streets occurred while I was sitting: a large family from Italy was outside Ferrara's taking photographs and happily commenting on World Cup trinkets in the window of an Italian-owned souvenir shop (E. Rossi & Co.) next door. But hey, they seemed to be having a really good time...

Noticed in the window of E. Rossi: An Italian flag emblem. The sticker on the outer packaging said "Made in China". (Infamia!)

Anyhow, I was weak. (I think my brain is going soft...) I bought a cap. No cussin' though; not my style.

Now, as far as the original topic of this thread: I saw some posters for the Little Italy documentary plastered on a few shops in the area. There is supposed to be a website for the production company - http://www.medicifilms.com - but when I checked the site, it seems it is not up and running yet. Pity. I thought it might have info on how to purchase their film, or where it will be shown next.

Now, if anyone would really like a copy, I do have it on tape. Not the greatest speed, but I can "copy it up" (I can't burn DVDs.). I have a bunch of older VHS tapes that I'm looking to recycle, so I can make a few copies. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Signor V.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

Re: Little Italy television documentary #162876
09/21/06 06:50 AM
09/21/06 06:50 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Underboss
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
The website for Medici Films seems to now be up and running. The documentary is available on DVD in a "director's cut" with (I imagine) additional footage and/or extras for $14.95.

http://www.medicitelevision.com

Also, when I was at San Gennaro (my feet are still sore), I was told by Ernest Rossi (who was interviewed for the film) that it will air again in the NYC area over our local NBC station sometime near Columbus Day.

I'll post more when I find out more.

Signor V.

--------------------
"I'ma notta your new master - I'ma not evena your Olda Master!"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull