GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 401 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,528
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Racism v. Politicism #161494
07/06/06 12:08 AM
07/06/06 12:08 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
What is the difference between the two? And I'm not talking about someone having more liberal views or conservative views and constantly voting that way in an election. That's a person's constitutional right to do so. I'm talking about the terms democrat and republican. They've basically become the same as n*****, sp***, ch***, yadda yadda yadda. I'm talking about how there are citizens in our country who hear that someone is a democrat and automatically dislike that person, much the same as someone would have automatically hated a black person back in the 40s.

Just like some people were genuinely happy when Malcolm X or MLK, Jr. got shot, there are many people who are happy when things go bad in our country with Dubya in office. It's like it's a race to see who can be the first person to gleefully post news about our country that we should not be excited about. I'm sure if we elect a liberal in '08, there will be others just as happy to do the same, so please don't think I'm attacking one group or the other. It's just that with all the political debates going on lately(which I must admit liven up the boards quite a bit), I've seen an awful lot of generalizations, preconceived notions, personal attacks, and name calling. It truly does remind me of Alabama back in 1948 or something to that effect.

How is disliking someone for their political party different than disliking someone for the color of their skin? And please spare me any, we don't dislike them, we just disagree, because I have seen some serious, psychotic, fucking hatred(to steal a term from Carlin) going on at both this board and throughout the country.

Now I know that not everyone is like that, in fact the majority of Americans don't feel that way toward members of opposite political parties. But most people aren't racists either, yet racism is completely frowned upon, rightly so, while politicism is considered to be a wonderful example of our American freedom. What am I missing?

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161495
07/06/06 12:29 AM
07/06/06 12:29 AM
Martin Joseph Offline
Button
Martin Joseph  Offline
Button
are you maybe thinking of bigotry?

I ask because what you described sounds like a bigot,which is defined as: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

or is this more a combination of both a racist and a bigot?

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161496
07/06/06 12:55 AM
07/06/06 12:55 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I think Martin Joseph might be right with considering it bigotry.

Or prejudice - one of its definitions is irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.

I agree that, regardless of which side is doing it, politics can get way out of hand. I guess I'm not one to talk, since I don't participate, nor do I fully understand all of the issues involved, but it seems some just make it into a contest to decide which party is "better," and every dicussion has to be "tallied up" for one side or the other. When something goes wrong, it should be brought to everyone's attention...but out of concern for the country's well-being, not out of satisfaction in the opposing side's failure.

This sounds completely out of place, but it reminds me of baseball. I was at an Astros game yesterday with three of the most negative "fans" I know. One of them complains mainly in jest, but the other two actually thrive on the team's failures, because they enjoy griping so much. Nothing makes them happy. Well, during the game, our guys failed to pick off a runner who was attempting to steal second - they even caught him in a rundown, but one player dropped the ball. Depressing, of course, and most of the crowd just "awwed" at it. As I did this, I heard and saw my two negative relatives next to me, buzzing with delight at our sorry screw-up. They weren't happy about it, but they were simply relishing the moment. Instead of recognizing that it was hurting the team (or country...in an attempt to make this into a politics/baseball metaphor), they were just happy that they had something to point out as being wrong, which supported their view as pessimistic fans.

Okay, I went way off-topic with the baseball story, but it seemed relevant when I first started typing. Maybe someone will see a connection.

I hope you all understand that I'm not looking to offend either side or any person here - I'm not even directing any of this at anyone in particular. I just found a lot of truth in JB's argument and wanted to comment.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161497
07/06/06 04:07 AM
07/06/06 04:07 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer:

How is disliking someone for their political party different than disliking someone for the color of their skin?
Disliking someone for their poilitical views or skin color or anything else is OK in my view. What is not ok is expressing that hatred in any form, directly or indirectly. In a civilized society, people are expected to behave according to certain rules, irrespective of what one actually believes.

One technical difference is that while one cannot change their race, one can definitely change his/her political affiliation. So the hatred towards an idealogy is not as absolute as that towards a race.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161498
07/06/06 08:31 AM
07/06/06 08:31 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Liberals suck.

Thank you.

[/bigot]

:p

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161499
07/06/06 08:56 AM
07/06/06 08:56 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Joseph:
are you maybe thinking of bigotry?

I ask because what you described sounds like a bigot,which is defined as: [b]One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

or is this more a combination of both a racist and a bigot? [/b]
In general, a bigot and a racist essentially mean the same thing. I don't care what the dictionary says, I'm talking about society. Sometimes society and the dictionary don't always mesh 100%. So if you prefer the term bigot rather than racist, be my guest. But yes, I am talking about a bigot, racist, hate mongerer, klansman, pick the synonym.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161500
07/06/06 12:07 PM
07/06/06 12:07 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
there are many people who are happy when things go bad in our country with Dubya in office.
I don't want things in general to go bad. But Bush just has the wrong plans for me. From some of them I can only hope they fail because that will be better for the world. For other plans I want him to succeed but they're just unrealistic. Or he's using the wrong method.

Quote:
How is disliking someone for their political party different than disliking someone for the color of their skin?
You choose your political view, you don't choose your color.

If you are extreme-right, fascist, nazi, or belong to zny other dishuman dirty ideology, I believe I have the right to have something against you. I am not allowed to have something against you for your color.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161501
07/06/06 12:19 PM
07/06/06 12:19 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
But just like it would be wrong for me to hate black people if I hear on the news about how one black person shot and killed someone, it is wrong for people to hate republicans just because of the actions of a few. I'm not talking about on an individual level, but rather a general level. If you dislike someone for whatever reason, then that's the way you feel. But if you dislike someone for whatever reason, then extend that hatred toward others like him, then you're generalizing, just the same way racists do.

BTW, obviously when we're talking about Nazis we're talking about racism anyway. I think it is pretty extreme to compare extreme right wingers to Nazis. As a matter of fact, you just proved my point for me.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161502
07/06/06 12:38 PM
07/06/06 12:38 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
BTW, obviously when we're talking about Nazis we're talking about racism anyway. I think it is pretty extreme to compare extreme right wingers to Nazis.
Extreme right .... nazism... Same room to me. Both are they ideologically wrong, inhuman, narrowminded and not toughtful.

I have nothing against rightwing people, even tought I don't agree with them. But extreme right is something else.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161503
07/06/06 12:40 PM
07/06/06 12:40 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I think the point of this thread is weak. Everyone is hated for different things. People with red hair are hated by some people.

It's nothing special to say omg ppl h8 democratz n rebuplikanz juss lyke ppl h8ed blak ppl.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161504
07/06/06 12:44 PM
07/06/06 12:44 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
We just have slightly different perspectives then. To me, Nazism is completely off the spectrum. I consider the extreme right to be staunch Republicans

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161505
07/06/06 12:46 PM
07/06/06 12:46 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
It's nothing special to say omg ppl h8 democratz n rebuplikanz juss lyke ppl h8ed blak ppl.
Are you getting excited for junior high this fall?

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161506
07/06/06 01:12 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Are you getting excited for junior high this fall?
OMGZ PWN3D 2 THA MAXX TEH DAN. WUT U GUNNA DO BRUTHA WEN JIMI BUFFR RUNZ WILLLLD ON U?!? LOLLERZZ!!11

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161507
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] It's nothing special to say omg ppl h8 democratz n rebuplikanz juss lyke ppl h8ed blak ppl.
Are you getting excited for junior high this fall? [/b][/quote]Not really, that sentence is merely a comedic exaggeration. I think the point of this thread is ridiculously general. The point is comparing distaste for people through race and political affiliation.

I don't see what is special about it. Everything can be compared to those two. Why not throw in religion? Atheists vs. religious?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161508
07/06/06 01:21 PM
07/06/06 01:21 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Evidently, it was meaningful enough for you to respond twice, so I guess it's not that meaningless

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161509
07/06/06 01:26 PM
07/06/06 01:26 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
The main reason behind posting was because I am baffled at why the concept of political parties is hailed as such a wonderful thing. Look at how wonderful the mood in our country is. As horrible as 9-11 was, that's the kind of event it takes to unify our country. Again, I'm not talking about disagreements of differences in opinion, I'm talking about disrespect and hatred towards others. Maybe the best thing that could happen is if North Korea did launch its nuke at us. Just make sure it misses me.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161510
07/06/06 01:38 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Evidently, it was meaningful enough for you to respond twice, so I guess it's not that meaningless
This has to be the most moronic defence of a topic. The first was my comment. The second was a reply to something you said to me directly. Get some common sense.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161511
Rejected from Witness Protecti...
Henry Hill Offline
Wiseguy
Henry Hill  Offline
Wiseguy
Rejected from Witness Protecti...
As a proud libertarian, I hate conservatives and liberals.

"If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing"
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161512
07/06/06 01:41 PM
07/06/06 01:41 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
That's number 3. You must be so glad I started this thread.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161513
07/06/06 01:46 PM
07/06/06 01:46 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
That's number 3. You must be so glad I started this thread.
And here's #4.

You're a fucking idiot. Opps, there goes my maturity.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161514
07/06/06 01:49 PM
07/06/06 01:49 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Quote:
Just like some people were genuinely happy when Malcolm X or MLK, Jr. got shot, there are many people who are happy when things go bad in our country with Dubya in office. It's like it's a race to see who can be the first person to gleefully post news about our country that we should not be excited about. I'm sure if we elect a liberal in '08, there will be others just as happy to do the same, so please don't think I'm attacking one group or the other.
Actually you make an excellent point. People who get too partisan often allow their political bias to get in the way of what is good for the country. Personally, I am a democrat and was against the war in Iraq, and I think George Bush is the most incompetent president we have ever had. I also think this Iraq thing will end in disaster.
That said, as an American I hope to God I am wrong. If it works out, if Iraq becomes a deomcracy etc etc then all of us should be glad about the result and give credit where credit is due.

In truth, however, if Hillary Clinton were president she would be getting the same flak on the right that Bush gets from the left. It is a serious problem in this country and people should be aware that there is a hair trigger mentality to a lot of this.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161515
07/06/06 01:55 PM
07/06/06 01:55 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Well said, DT. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to have certain point of views, I'm just saying that this country is becoming more divided by the day. Not just on the issues, but hatred is spreading all throughout society.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161516
07/06/06 01:58 PM
07/06/06 01:58 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer:
[b] That's number 3. You must be so glad I started this thread.
And here's #4.

You're a fucking idiot. Opps, there goes my maturity. [/b][/quote]Now, now. Don't make me call your mother.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161517
07/06/06 02:03 PM
07/06/06 02:03 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
You're a fucking idiot.
You should know better than that. WTF?

Remember this? If you don't like certain topics or particular members, please ignore them

So cut the crap.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Racism v. Politicism #161518
07/06/06 02:06 PM
07/06/06 02:06 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Sorry Geoff, I really don't care about sanitizing my posts, especially when it comes to the point of debating with someone who has to resort to childish defense means. Yeah, yeah mine was childish too, but big deal. I'm simply using honest language for once. And in all honesty, I really don't care if I'm even banned anymore. I'd probably move onto more important things I was too lazy to do before.

I guess you can say my attitude has changed somewhat since our talks.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161519
07/06/06 02:16 PM
07/06/06 02:16 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
No harm no foul.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161520
07/07/06 02:19 PM
07/07/06 02:19 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
People with red hair are hated by some people.
It's those damn Ginger kids! DAYWALKERS! :p

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161521
07/07/06 02:39 PM
07/07/06 02:39 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Quote:
Sorry Geoff, I really don't care about sanitizing my posts, especially when it comes to the point of debating with someone who has to resort to childish defense means. Yeah, yeah mine was childish too, but big deal. I'm simply using honest language for once. And in all honesty, I really don't care if I'm even banned anymore. I'd probably move onto more important things I was too lazy to do before.

I guess you can say my attitude has changed somewhat since our talks.
Take a deep breath and get a grip.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161522
07/09/06 02:45 PM
07/09/06 02:45 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I have a perfect grip.

Re: Racism v. Politicism #161523
07/09/06 02:57 PM
07/09/06 02:57 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Uhhh...has anybody besides me and Vercetti noticed that Jimmy Buffer is being a manipulative asshole in this thread? If anybody should be banned, it's him.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull