GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (U talkin' da me ??), 250 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,160
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1654
10/04/02 09:31 AM
10/04/02 09:31 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
Originally posted by Snake:
WOW! Yet another Phoebe Cates!! I'm going [Linked Image] Good avatar, deathkiss!

Regarding Kay...you're right. But who would've taken the poor plain Jane anyway?? She would've died an old maid. frown
Plain Jane or not, at least in the novel anyways, aside from a little griping she made Michael a good, Catholic wife.

Marrying for looks isn't a real good idea, look as an example to Fredo in GF2 ending up married to Deanna and to Johnny Fontaine who left his faithful wife for a beautiful slut.

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1655
10/04/02 10:53 AM
10/04/02 10:53 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that he truly did love two different women in two different ways. The book even points out Michael's amazement that his love for Appollonia had nothing to do with his love for Kay. His relationship with Kay was built on his love for her intelligence and wit (a true partnership) as well as the fact that she was "different". In the book, his love for Appollonia was based on his obsessive need to possess her in every way.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1656
10/04/02 11:04 AM
10/04/02 11:04 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
I think you explained their relationships PERFECTLY! smile

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1657
10/04/02 03:08 PM
10/04/02 03:08 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally posted by Scarlett:
I think you explained their relationships PERFECTLY! smile
Mille Grazie!!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1658
10/04/02 03:31 PM
10/04/02 03:31 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I think that he truly did love two different women in two different ways. The book even points out Michael's amazement that his love for Appollonia had nothing to do with his love for Kay. His relationship with Kay was built on his love for her intelligence and wit (a true partnership) as well as the fact that she was "different". In the book, his love for Appollonia was based on his obsessive need to possess her in every way.
Processing is different than loving someone. And if he truly loved Kay, why did it take him three years to seek her out? If he was solely interested in her.
The New Hampshire scene was not a loving reconcilation between kay and Michael. It sounded like more of an acquision. In other words, it was if Michael was saying, "look, I am working for my father so I need a family, children (heirs). This scene reminds me of Napoleon marrying an 18 year old Austrian so he can have heirs. It has nothing to do with loving someone.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1659
10/04/02 03:42 PM
10/04/02 03:42 PM
New Mexico, USA
La Dolce Vita Offline
Underboss
La Dolce Vita  Offline
Underboss
New Mexico, USA
"Pheobe Cates should have played Mary Corleone"

Deathkiss: Phoebe Cates is a good 8 years older than Sofia Coppola and in the early 90's was probably too busy making those Gremlins and Drop Dead Fred movies.

And speaking as someone who feels a close, personal bond with her character in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, if you are gonna be a fan, at least spell her name right!

I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve -
I have a history of taking off my shirt.....
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1660
10/04/02 05:14 PM
10/04/02 05:14 PM
USA
PastaPunk Offline
Capo
PastaPunk  Offline
Capo
USA
I loved "Drop Dead Fred", "Princess whatever you call it"... and the "Gremlins". lol I haven't seen Fast Times, though..

I agree his proposal to Kay wasn't very romantic. He didnt' sound very loving. *monotone* "I need you. I want you. I love you. Marry me. It's an offer you can't refuse." wink He should have used Clemenza's line.

Call me what you will, but I really could wait for a man for 3 years. Especially if he's as hot as Michael Corleone. *wiggles eyebrows*

I'm a girl, and I just want to have fun.
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1661
10/04/02 05:24 PM
10/04/02 05:24 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally posted by PastaPunk:

Call me what you will, but I really could wait for a man for 3 years. Especially if he's as hot as Michael Corleone. *wiggles eyebrows*
i'll call you romantic smile . i think you can say that in your teens, when your whole life still spans ahead. after 25 you don't feel like waiting. oh well, i have been accused of not being romantic enough. one of the many things i'm being accused of lately rolleyes .

romantic or not i would have liked a better proposal from Michael too. geez.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1662
10/04/02 07:55 PM
10/04/02 07:55 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by La Dolce Vita:
"Pheobe Cates should have played Mary Corleone"

Deathkiss: Phoebe Cates is a good 8 years older than Sofia Coppola and in the early 90's was probably too busy making those Gremlins and Drop Dead Fred movies.

And speaking as someone who feels a close, personal bond with her character in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, if you are gonna be a fan, at least spell her name right!
Ohh CAT FIGHT!!!
FYI: Mary Corleone character is suppose to be in her mid 20's, and I believe Pheobe was in her mid to late 20's in 1989--the date of filming, so Pheobe is age approprate.

Gremlins and Drop Dead Fred was made in the mid 80's, so she should be available.
Speaking of spelling, I find it amusing that a person who has a "..close personal bond" spells her name EXACTLY like I spell it. So, are we BOTH spelling her name incorrectly? I am not a huge fan of Pheobe Kline, but you don't seem to know a lot about her, I mean KEY FACTS!
...have a wonderful day La Dolce Vita
..end of cat fight! <meow>

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1663
10/05/02 03:21 AM
10/05/02 03:21 AM
New Mexico, USA
La Dolce Vita Offline
Underboss
La Dolce Vita  Offline
Underboss
New Mexico, USA
I must have dyslexia because your spelling of Pheobe does not = my spelling of Phoebe, but oh well. Details. Not gonna bother going into the other facts.

Wasn't trying to be insulting, just stating the obvious.

Me- still having a wonderful day. Thanks.

I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve -
I have a history of taking off my shirt.....
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1664
10/05/02 01:51 PM
10/05/02 01:51 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by La Dolce Vita:
I must have dyslexia because your spelling of Pheobe does not = my spelling of Phoebe, but oh well. Details. Not gonna bother going into the other facts.

Me- still having a wonderful day. Thanks.
I agree!! I think is will be unwise for you to go into into details, especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1665
10/05/02 05:11 PM
10/05/02 05:11 PM
USA
PastaPunk Offline
Capo
PastaPunk  Offline
Capo
USA
LDV -> [Linked Image]<-deathkiss

Reow reow! lol Come on.. ladies, I know you're bigger than this... besides... it's just Feeby Kates! wink

I guess as a teen I feel it's wiser to wait than mess around with any ol' guy that says he "loves" me. But Kay was still pretty young too. And Apollonia was just happy to move out of her parents' house. wink

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1666
10/05/02 08:36 PM
10/05/02 08:36 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I am of the opinion that Michael did love both Kay and Appollonia, but unlike most people marriage and family were not as high on the priority list as his business and strive for power. frown Yet, I think even tho he loved Kay, he probably considered the fact that it would look good to have a wife/kids to give the appearance of a "good family man." ohwell

I too, would not have waited for Michael. However, Kay knew what kind of family he came from and she chose to wait for him and then later she chose to marry him even after he told her he was in the family. I don't know if blame is the right word, because we all make wrong moves and do stupid things when it comes to love. I prefer to call it a "life experience," not a good experience but still a life experience.

I still say, even though both ladies were good wives to Michael (I know we didn't get to see Appollonia as a wife for long, but I am judging by her culture/heritage at that time in Sicily), Appollonia would have made a better wife for Michael, for the simple reason that she wouldn't give him "flack"....I ;am not saying that made her a better wife than Kay, but the better choice for Michael. Sicilian women (like mama), would know when to keep quiet and when to speak. And to be married to Michael I think you'd have to understand and accept that.
confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1667
10/07/02 01:54 PM
10/07/02 01:54 PM
Scotland
A
Aberdeen Fascisti Offline
Button
Aberdeen Fascisti  Offline
A
Button
Scotland
It seems to be other women who are most critical of Appolonia.
I think they are just jealous of her beauty and identify more with Kay because she is more of an 'everywoman', not too beautiful but not too ugly either.

I Don't Feel I have To Wipe Everyone Out. Just My Enemies.
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1668
10/07/02 02:39 PM
10/07/02 02:39 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally posted by Aberdeen Fascisti:
It seems to be other woman who are most critical of Appolonia.
I think they are just jealous of her beauty and identify more with Kay because she is more of an 'everywoman', not too beautiful but not too ugly either.
oh yeah, that's it. rolleyes

you know i hear that argument a lot whenever when a woman criticizes another woman. it always has to be a jealous thing rather than just an opinion .

i'm probably more like Apple than Kay anyway. not one ounce of WASP in me.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1669
10/07/02 02:51 PM
10/07/02 02:51 PM
Scotland
A
Aberdeen Fascisti Offline
Button
Aberdeen Fascisti  Offline
A
Button
Scotland
Originally posted by Saladbar:
[qb]It seems to be other woman who are most critical of Appolonia.

you know i hear that argument a lot whenever when a woman criticizes another woman. it always has to be a jealous thing rather than just an opinion .
I stand by my statement.
You're entitled to your "opinion" but judging by all the posts on this thread and others most of the people who are bad mouthing Appolonia are women, rather than men.
You have to ask yourself, why this is?

I Don't Feel I have To Wipe Everyone Out. Just My Enemies.
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1670
10/07/02 03:08 PM
10/07/02 03:08 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saladbar:
[qb]
You have to ask yourself, why this is?
well because this is a bulletin board and she is a hot mama and there are red blooded men here! lol i'm, at least, trying to be objective. if i were simply jealous of her because of her beauty then i wouldn't have even time to post! i'd be too busy sitting her being jealous of 99% of the women in movies/tv. i recognize beauty in LOTS of women and like them for it not critical of them for it. that would be a very shallow way to always have a debate (i guess that is what you consider me as, a shallow jealous woman). if i am critical is it because of other things.

perhaps in your little study (not a great random sample) all the women here hate her, but please don't lump me in the generalization that i dislike her because her beauty (and i don't really dislike her or Kay) is far greater than mine. i would have to hate LDV, Capacino and PastaPunk too those awful wenches lol !

now i really have to get back to work.

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1671
10/07/02 03:17 PM
10/07/02 03:17 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[Linked Image]

Gotta give you credit, Aberdeen...you may have caught on to something (though I doubt many of the ladies would admit it - even to themselves).

I love how some are obsessed with this 'thunderbolt' thing. Yes, Michael & Appolonia were struck big time when they first ran into each other. But it's not as though they ran off together that night. They married after a respectful meeting with her family, with her father's permission and a respectable courtship. I don't think there was anything selfish about it. He saw her, wanted to meet her, got to know her, loved her, married her.

I do not think this storyline would have work had Appolonia been described as a homely or plain girl, or had a dog of an actress been cast in the part.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1672
10/07/02 03:52 PM
10/07/02 03:52 PM
USA
PastaPunk Offline
Capo
PastaPunk  Offline
Capo
USA
Uh ohhh... first the ladies fighting with eachother over Feeby, and now womankind discovered to be shallow. Who'da thunk??

Aberdeen, I see your point, but I'm sorry... jealousy is an unfair accusation. Are you JEALOUS of all good looking men you can say something bad about? I certainly doubt it.

Would it be better if we only put down UGLY women? That way we'll be jealous of ugly chicks as well? I'm really sick of being called jealous just because I can find faults in beautiful women. Jealousy really isn't the reason. Now you tell me WHY some men just can't understand that?

(p.s. Welcome, Aberdeen! I hope you or anyone else will not find my post rude. This is just my opinion...
Also... I sincerely think I AM jealous of Saladbar and AppleOnYa, who I can't think of anything bad to say about even though they are both very beautiful...)

Re: Kay and Apollonia #1673
10/08/02 07:02 AM
10/08/02 07:02 AM
then - Philippines; now - Phoe...
don papa Offline
Made Member
don papa  Offline
Made Member
then - Philippines; now - Phoe...
i am a girl, and though my face may not look like Apollonia's, i am not the least bit jealous of her beauty.

and i don't think Michael's relationship with Apollonia was based on lust, or anything that can be labelled as "improper". as the others have said, there was the proper introduction to the family, visits to her home, courtship (the walk with the whole family behind them, then Apollonia almost trips), etc. everything was decent, and there was courtship.

i believe Michael really loved Kay, even while in Sicily. but more often than not, long-distance relationships don't last. it's very difficult! and in their case, they couldn't even communicate with each other, so there was no long-distance relationship to work on, in the first place. Apollonia just came at the right place and the right time.

"Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking again!" - Don Vito to Sonny

"Never let anyone know what you're thinking." - Michael to Vincent
Re: Kay and Apollonia #1674
03/14/05 05:22 PM
03/14/05 05:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Hey cut Mike some slack! He wasnt exactrly kicking up his heels for all those many months he was in Sicily, and the way things were going, I think he realized that he would either be there a long time and/or once he got back to New York he would be in the family business and Kay would have moved on. I think he was struck by a thunderbolt when he saw Appolonia and so was she, and had she lived he would have been content to have an obedient Italian wife instead of some shrill American who was always carping at him for not becoming "legitimate" quickly enough, and who ran off to have an abortion because Mike had a "Sicilian Thing," which had to be stopped. Notice Kay didnt mind living in luxury though.
Moreover, Michael was back a year or more before he even bothered to contact Kay, so I have always wondered if he wasnt exploiting her just a little.
In fact I think they were exploiting each other, but thats another thread.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull