GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 57 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,683
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156951
05/02/06 12:37 PM
05/02/06 12:37 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release

The final recordings made by country music legend Johnny Cash will be released by his longtime producer and friend Rick Rubin this summer. American V: A Hundred Highways features a dozen tracks, including the final song Cash wrote - "The 309." According to Rubin, Cash felt a sense of urgency to record his final album after his wife June Carter Cash died in May 2003. He recalls, "Once June passed, he had the will to live long enough to record, but that was pretty much all. A day after June passed, he said, 'I need to have something to do every day. Otherwise, there's no real reason for me to be here.'" Rubin kept an engineer and guitarist on standby around the clock so Cash could record when his health permitted. He adds, "It's an amazingly sad album. At times it's hard to get through, but it's really beautiful. It's remarkable to hear an artist of his stature being so vulnerable and open and sounding strong so late in his life. I don't think there's ever been an album like this."

This is great news. I have American IV: The Man Comes Around, and I think it's one of the best recordings ever, certainly one of his best. This sounds like it's going to really be special and I can't wait for it.

Any other fans of Cash here or anyone else anxious to buy this album?

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156952
05/02/06 12:49 PM
05/02/06 12:49 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
yes, and yes. I'll definately be getting it.

And I'm still mad at you for the CSNY tickets you got :p

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156953
05/02/06 01:58 PM
05/02/06 01:58 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Yep, I'm another Cash fan. It's rare that my husband and I actually agree on music.

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156954
05/02/06 02:30 PM
05/02/06 02:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'm sure I'm one of a hundred "new" Cash fans who got turned onto his music from the movie, Walk the Line. I think I've listened to the entire American IV: The Man Comes Around album, but not 100%. I'll listen to the new one but my favorite is definitely Live at Folsom Prison

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156955
05/02/06 03:05 PM
05/02/06 03:05 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Last week I finally rented "Walk The Line". I did not know that he was married before and he was in the military. I also didn't know that June had kids before John. Did they have any kids together? The love that he had for June not wanting to go on living with out her. I know he was very sick to. I wonder if his first wife is still alive? I to will buy the new Cd.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156956
05/02/06 03:58 PM
05/02/06 03:58 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
This is great news. I'll definitley go and get it.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156957
05/04/06 08:16 PM
05/04/06 08:16 PM
New Jersey
Obsessed With The GodFather Offline
Capo
Obsessed With The GodFather  Offline
Capo
New Jersey

My love and respect for him can never be explained..
It's a JOHNNY CASH THING, AND THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY..
I will continue to honor him at every chance...
The Man With The Guitar On His Back.

Thank you so much for just mentioning my Man Cash!

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash Fan!
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156958
05/04/06 08:28 PM
05/04/06 08:28 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
I think the last recordings of a musician's life are fascinating. I can't wait for it.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156959
05/04/06 09:06 PM
05/04/06 09:06 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
One of my top 5 favorites as of late. His cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt is hauntingly beautiful.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156960
05/04/06 11:04 PM
05/04/06 11:04 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b]Any other fans of Cash here or anyone else anxious to buy this album?
yes, and yes. I'll definately be getting it.

And I'm still mad at you for the CSNY tickets you got :p [/b][/quote]Hahaha.

I'm basically still in a state of shock, so it has yet to hit me as to how cool it will be to see Neil Young that close.

As for Cash, what can I say. One of the best artists ever!

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156961
05/05/06 12:52 AM
05/05/06 12:52 AM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
This is going to rule.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Get Hannitized

I support racial profiling.
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156962
06/10/06 07:52 PM
06/10/06 07:52 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
It's a few weeks away, set to be released on July 4th.

While looking at it's Wikipedia article, I noticed this;

Quote:
The liner notes of Unearthed, a box set comprised of outtakes from the first four entries into the series, claim "around 50" songs were recorded during the American V sessions prior to Cash's death on September 12, 2003. However, only two albums worth of material will be released, including American VI, which could be released within a year.
Yes.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156963
06/10/06 09:50 PM
06/10/06 09:50 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I think the last recordings of a musician's life are fascinating. I can't wait for it.
Unfortunately, many are mediocre (George Harrison's Brainwashed, for example, has good songs...and some not so good songs).

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156964
07/05/06 01:14 AM
07/05/06 01:14 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Just bought it today. Blew my mind. Seriously. This could be his best album ever, including Folsom. His voice is SO weak on some songs and you just want to reach out and hug him after the loss of June, yet on some tracks, like "God Will Cut You Down", his voice is more powerful than the likes of anything. After listening to the first song "Help Me", if you don't feel so pumped with emotion, you might need to check your pulse. His cover of the widely covered song "Four Strong Winds" rivals only Neil Young's version, but is a masterpiece all in itself. A Must Own. For Anyone. With Emotions.

Also bought American III: Solitary Man a while back. Also amazing. The tracks "The Mercy Seat" and "I See A Darkness" were some of the best songs I've heard in years.

The Doc

P.S. JJ, as for Brainwashed, I loved it. "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" is one of my fav songs. "Any Road" is filled with so much energy and fun, it's impossible not to like. I was dissapointed with the title track though. All-in-all, a good farewell.

P.P.S. For another great "last album", check out Warren Zevon's The Wind. A few of the songs made me really emotional. But Zevon goes out in style as always.

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156965
07/05/06 02:58 AM
07/05/06 02:58 AM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
I'm going to pick up a copy tomorrow.

Get Hannitized

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156966
07/06/06 12:15 AM
07/06/06 12:15 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
[b]I'm going to pick up a copy tomorrow. [/b]
After listening to it all day again, it only got MUCH better. Buy now, everyone!

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156967
07/06/06 02:49 AM
07/06/06 02:49 AM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
I did'nt have a chance to go today .....tomorrow for sure.

Get Hannitized

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156968
07/06/06 07:47 AM
07/06/06 07:47 AM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Quote:
Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release

The final recordings made by country music legend Johnny Cash will be released by his longtime producer and friend Rick Rubin this summer. American V: A Hundred Highways features a dozen tracks, including the final song Cash wrote - "The 309." According to Rubin, Cash felt a sense of urgency to record his final album after his wife June Carter Cash died in May 2003. He recalls, "Once June passed, he had the will to live long enough to record, but that was pretty much all. A day after June passed, he said, 'I need to have something to do every day. Otherwise, there's no real reason for me to be here.'" Rubin kept an engineer and guitarist on standby around the clock so Cash could record when his health permitted. He adds, "It's an amazingly sad album. At times it's hard to get through, but it's really beautiful. It's remarkable to hear an artist of his stature being so vulnerable and open and sounding strong so late in his life. I don't think there's ever been an album like this."

This is great news. I have American IV: The Man Comes Around, and I think it's one of the best recordings ever, certainly one of his best. This sounds like it's going to really be special and I can't wait for it.

The Doc
You Bet, I have the "Personal File" CD too!
Thanks!

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156969
07/06/06 09:06 AM
07/06/06 09:06 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Obsessed With The GodFather:
[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b] Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release

The Doc
Thanks! [/b][/quote]I wanted to buy that. How is it?

The Doc

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156970
07/06/06 11:02 PM
07/06/06 11:02 PM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Obsessed With The GodFather:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b] Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release

The Doc
Thanks! [/b][/quote]I wanted to buy that. How is it?

The Doc [/b][/quote]Oh Doc it is great, It's like he is in the room with you telling his story, in song.
I miss him!

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156971
07/07/06 09:44 PM
07/07/06 09:44 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I just got it. So far it's great.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156972
07/08/06 04:59 PM
07/08/06 04:59 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I finished listening to it today and it's magnificent. This is definitley one of John's finest albums. My favorite song off this is probably "If You Could Read My Mind."

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156973
07/13/06 10:36 AM
07/13/06 10:36 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
"Cash Scores First US Number One Album Since 1969"

Country legend Johnny Cash has scored his first US album chart number one in almost 30 years - three years after his death. The singer recorded American V: A Hundred Highways from a wheelchair at his home in Tennessee as he battled blindness and diabetes in his final four months. And his swan songs have earned Cash his first US chart topper since live album Johnny Cash At San Quentin went to number one in 1969.

The new album, which earned a number one debut today with just 88,000 first-week sales, also ends the Dixie Chicks' seven-week reign atop the Billboard Country Albums charts.

Though it's a great week for Cash and album producer Rick Rubin, it's a bad week for the US album charts - American V: A Hundred Highways has broken a new record as the lowest-selling number one debut since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking chart data in 1991.

----------------------------------------------------------

Way to go Johnny! Still scoring from the grave!

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156974
07/13/06 06:56 PM
07/13/06 06:56 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
That is awesome. A dying Johnny Cash, struggling to get lyrics from his mouth, can still top the fucking charts.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156975
07/15/06 11:47 AM
07/15/06 11:47 AM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
That is awesome. A dying Johnny Cash, struggling to get lyrics from his mouth, can still top the fucking charts.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!----
STILL TOPS THE F------G CHARTS!

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156976
07/15/06 11:57 AM
07/15/06 11:57 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
P.S. JJ, as for Brainwashed, I loved it. "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" is one of my fav songs. "Any Road" is filled with so much energy and fun, it's impossible not to like. I was dissapointed with the title track though. All-in-all, a good farewell.
It's not one of my favorite Harrison albums. While it can't touch All Things Must Pass (can anything?), it falls somewhere near the bottom of the rung. It's okay. But I can't get into it as well as his other material.

Besides, my favorite Harrison album is still Live From Japan.

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156977
07/15/06 12:28 PM
07/15/06 12:28 PM
United States
A
Ayperi Offline
Button
Ayperi  Offline
A
Button
United States
Johnny Cash was always a favorite of mine. My dad used to play his songs on guitar and sing them for me when I was younger. I have to say alot of my friends didn't like him until Walk the Line came out. I like all his music but haven't heard his final recording but read about it in EW. I Got Stripes is my favorite song.

Re: Johnny Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release #156978
07/18/06 10:55 PM
07/18/06 10:55 PM
New Jersey
Capo
Capo
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
Last week I finally rented "Walk The Line". I did not know that he was married before and he was in the military. I also didn't know that June had kids before John. Did they have any kids together? The love that he had for June not wanting to go on living with out her. I know he was very sick to. I wonder if his first wife is still alive? I to will buy the new Cd.
Mig, His first wife passed away too- the same year i think as June & John.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull