GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 388 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When does free speech become treason? #155405
04/21/06 09:11 PM
04/21/06 09:11 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline OP
Underboss
Snake  Offline OP
Underboss
State Asylum
I'd like to start a sincere (not flame-throwin') topic. It seems to me that yes, while we in this country have the freedom to say whatever we want about our government, some step over the line. For example, an ordinary citizen cannot even joke about assassinating a president without legal consequences, although I know the current president has been the brunt of such jokes by talk show hosts, commedianes, etc. I hear a lot of UNconstructive crticism here in the U.S.; a lot of criticism, but no alternate solutions that are feasible. I hear the diatribe of our sworn, worst enemies abroad and then hear talk from certain leftists at home and realize that the only thing which distinguishes one from the other is that one can prove he is a legal U.S. citizen while the other cannot. So, my question is, When does free speech cross the line and become treasonous against this country?

I already know some simpletons out there are addicted to mere Bush-bashing and will inevitably resort to such. But I'd really like to know from the brighter ones -- current administration aside --when does free speech turn to treason?

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155406
04/21/06 09:18 PM
04/21/06 09:18 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
When you're telling government secrets to other countries.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155407
04/21/06 10:01 PM
04/21/06 10:01 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Great topic Snake!!!

Looking up the "exact" definition, it is pretty much I assume what we all think:

Treason: "Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies."

Given we are fortunate enough to have freedom of speech in our country, and knowing that some of that free speech may not please everyone, I think, for the most part "speech" is merely words.

HOWEVER, our freedom of speech "would" be treasonous as in DV's example (and the most known definition) of giving secret info to another country; and although I'm not sure if it would fall under treason or not, of course threatening to kill your President wouldn't be included as freedom of speech, as in threatening anyone's life.

I guess anything one might intentionally say with a purpose of malice,to cause harm to, or betray one's country would be considered treasonous. I am curious though for other examples of "Speech" being treasonous.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155408
04/22/06 03:03 AM
04/22/06 03:03 AM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Treason is giving assistance to enemies of the state. #

Freedom of speech relates to what you can say in public without legal sanction.

So the two concepts aren't really related.

But come on Snake... what you're really saying is that you think people who offer "a lot of criticism, but no alternate solutions" are just as bad as "our sworn, worst enemies abroad", except that the former just so happen to be US citizens.

You seem to imply that severe and trenchant criticism of the US government should be punished as treason, and that is so very wrong.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155409
04/22/06 03:41 AM
04/22/06 03:41 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Treason is plotting actively against the government of your nation-state. If this involves any speech you use while carrying out your plot or plotting the word "the" can be considered "treason."

This question assumes the worst of those who differ from the neo-Conservative, far right, Bushie worshipping, "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir," "kell 'em all an led gaaad sort 'em out," "dey're taaaken r jaaabs" set and assumes that people in the centre or the centre-left no matter where they're from do not have legitimate arguments. The question therefore is logically weak because it is by its very nature argumentative and not conducive to rational, coherent, lucid, productive political debate. Regardless of the poser of the question, or his/her motives the question is accusatorial and is shaky to begin with because of this. The questioner may well say "until you prove your patriotism keep your frikkkin mouth shut." Now, obviously no one in their right mind would say such a thing be they American, Canadian, Afghani, Iraqi, Palestinian, Israeli or whatever...

However, bushie the retarded elf has created an aura of fear, an Orwellian, 1984-like atmosphere as far as his influence carries and the byproduct is questions like this.

Free speech, is free speech. If you have to ask what or what isn't free speech, you don't know what free speech or what it means to be truly free really is. Free speech is protected in Canada by The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and in The States by The Bill of Rights. Thank Allah, God, Yahweh, Jehovah, Jesus whatever Almighty for these documents.

People are truly free when they accept, understand, appreciate and act on their freedom. If they don't, they are just wrapped in a cloud of amusement, a pawn for the government or any other large organization to do any thing they please. Be free, think free, live free, speak free and you'll BE free.

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155410
04/22/06 06:31 AM
04/22/06 06:31 AM
UK
Underboss
Underboss
UK
Quote:
Don Jasani
If this involves any speech you use while carrying out your plot or plotting the word "the" can be considered "treason."
That's wrong....

the words you use in plotting or carrying out the plot would be evidence of the treason but they would not constitute the treason itself.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155411
04/22/06 08:19 AM
04/22/06 08:19 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Free speech stops were respect begins.

Treason of your country is voluntarily plotting against it.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155412
04/22/06 09:31 AM
04/22/06 09:31 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
No, your aren't plotting against your country when you criticize it. :rolleyes:

Hey, how's it going?
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155413
04/22/06 12:48 PM
04/22/06 12:48 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Treason is lying to yourself.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155414
04/24/06 11:54 AM
04/24/06 11:54 AM
State Asylum
Snake Offline OP
Underboss
Snake  Offline OP
Underboss
State Asylum
See? My, how the lefties looove to read into the most objective question! Cracks me up, man.

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155415
04/24/06 11:56 AM
04/24/06 11:56 AM
State Asylum
Snake Offline OP
Underboss
Snake  Offline OP
Underboss
State Asylum
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
This question assumes the worst of those who differ from the neo-Conservative, far right, Bushie worshipping, "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir," "kell 'em all an led gaaad sort 'em out," "dey're taaaken r jaaabs" set and assumes that people in the centre or the centre-left no matter where they're from do not have legitimate arguments...However, bushie the retarded elf has created an aura of fear, an Orwellian, 1984-like atmosphere as far as his influence carries and the byproduct is questions like this...
(See my last paragraph in my first post.)

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155416
04/24/06 12:07 PM
04/24/06 12:07 PM
UK
Underboss
Underboss
UK
Quote:
Capo
Treason is lying to yourself.
You mean like when you tell yourself that your poetry is any good!?

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155417
04/24/06 01:33 PM
04/24/06 01:33 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Yes, if you were a bad poet, and you told yourself your poetry was good, then you'd be committing treason, I guess.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155418
04/24/06 01:34 PM
04/24/06 01:34 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Snake, frankly I'm surprised that you're capable of writing any thing beyond anti LEFT or Centrist or Centre-left diatribes. Poetry eh?! About what, killing every one who isn't you?! Grow up!

:rolleyes:

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155419
04/24/06 03:09 PM
04/24/06 03:09 PM
UK
Underboss
Underboss
UK
Quote:
capo
Yes, if you were a bad poet, and you told yourself your poetry was good, then you'd be committing treason, I guess.
Glad you agree.

Cutie... !

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155420
04/24/06 04:17 PM
04/24/06 04:17 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Is leaking the identity of a CIA operative treasonous?

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155421
04/24/06 04:29 PM
04/24/06 04:29 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think that it depends on what exactly constitutes the leak, who the (C.I.A.) agent is and what his/her operation exactly is? Some major Republicans may have committed major treason a while back by outing a female agent I think...forget her name.

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155422
04/24/06 04:56 PM
04/24/06 04:56 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
See? My, how the lefties looove to read into the most objective question! Cracks me up, man.
I don't know if your question is objective or not, but it's definitely incorrect and vague.

Just look at Dokter Lucy's quote
Quote:
Treason is giving assistance to enemies of the state. #

Freedom of speech relates to what you can say in public without legal sanction.

So the two concepts aren't really related..
Anyways, I just replied with my thougts.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: When does free speech become treason? #155423
04/24/06 09:01 PM
04/24/06 09:01 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
I think that it depends on what exactly constitutes the leak, who the (C.I.A.) agent is and what his/her operation exactly is? Some major Republicans may have committed major treason a while back by outing a female agent I think...forget her name.
That would be Valerie Plame, and you bring up an interesting question. According to an interview with Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald after Libby's indictment:

"The special counsel's office said that Plame's CIA employment was classified and that her connection to the CIA "was not common knowledge outside the intelligence community" prior to Novak's column. Disclosing such information had "the potential to damage the national security," the office said in a news release."

Now, "if" leaking this info did damage national security in some manner,(btw, for those who don't know, she was working undercover in a fake consultant firm, but acutally working on WMD info) would it treason? And would it be because of freedom of speech on Libby's part,(or anyone else involved) assuming he KNEW it could be potentially dangerous? Somehow I can't connect the freedom of speech to treason. It would just seem treasonous.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155424
04/24/06 10:14 PM
04/24/06 10:14 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
T.I.S. and others, I think that Mr. Libby is not only guilty of treason, he should be tried, easily convicted after having been given a FAIR trial with the best defense at his means and disposal, convicted and prosecuted according to the judge to the fullest extent of the law. I believe, that Mr. Libby did know about the damage this could do to North American and International security and that he should serve time because of it.

Snake, justice in this case would be somewhat, POETIC, don't you think?! :rolleyes:

As for Mr. Novak, well he should just shut his ignorant, ugly, two faced, hypocritical, abnormal downright retarded mouth up unless he has valuable contributions to make to rational political discourse.

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155425
04/25/06 12:18 AM
04/25/06 12:18 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Should NY Times correspondant Herbert Matthews be considered a traitor for going to the Sierra Maestra and confirming and propogating (essentially "inventing") Fidel Castro and bringing worldwide sympathy to his "free" and "democratic" cause?

Re: When does free speech become treason? #155426
04/25/06 02:43 AM
04/25/06 02:43 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If that hurt U.S. interests as significantly as what Novakie and that miscreant Libby did, then and only then yes!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull