GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (British, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 144 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,909
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tomboy #153244
03/30/06 06:48 PM
03/30/06 06:48 PM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
Is this term still exists? does a girl have to be REALLY boyish to be called a tomboy, or does it go around more easily? does it only apply to teenagers...what about married women?

Im an avid fan of mob films, godfather goodfellas you name it - does that make me a Tomboy?

I read some threads here, and it looks like theres plenty of female activity in the sport section, which I think is really cool, some of the female posters on this board seem to be real experts and I must say that I never had the chance to meet so many girls who share such passion for sport - but does that mean that we, the female posters who like sport and mob films - does that make us tomboys?

Sicilian Babe and Ginaitaliangirl have a male figure in their avatars - this seems natural to me, an avatar is just an avatar, but I wonder - why is it that there isnt a single male member with a female figure in his avatar?
Is it then more acceptable for a female to be drawn into the boyish world, but a taboo for a male to enter the female world?

bogey posted pictures showing how her face got dirty after soccer match, or maybe I mixed it up with another thread, but nevermind, and she says she hang out with guys more than girls. bogey, if you read this, please tell me do ppl call you a "tomboy" a lot for that? do you feel like a tomboy? do you like it or does that bother you?

TIS- I saw your list of favorite movies, and most of them are action movies. Die Hard, Rambo etc. Again, this sort of list is something I dont get to hear in the real world. Other girls I know usually prefer comedies or romance, so I ask you TIS the same questions I asked bogey, gina and all the other girls on this forum. Id like to understand how you look at yourselves and how society looks at you.

like I said I do love mob films a lot. My hubby thinks its really weird how much I love these movies, but he says thats just "one of the things he likes about me so much"

If ppl want to call me tomboy, so be it. I dont care. I dont think Im any less "woman" because of my taste for movies.

Hilary Swank - a tomboy?

Re: Tomboy #153245
03/30/06 06:56 PM
03/30/06 06:56 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Far as I know, the term 'tomboy' applies to a young girl around age 8-15 who is more interested in sports & athletics than dolls and dancing. Or likes to dress in jeans/t-shirts as opposed to dresses & skirts.

I never felt it was meant as a derogatory term, or that there was anything wrong with any of the 'tomboys' I knew...it was more a term of affection while I was growing up.

Don't know how people feel about it today...

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tomboy #153246
03/30/06 08:42 PM
03/30/06 08:42 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Pschh... Tomboy's... Don't you ladies have some cooking or cleaning to do? Knitting?

:p

Actually, I can't remember the last time I've heard the term "tomboy" used. And, I can't think of any personal instances where I've heard the word flung around because someone acted... em... man-like? (in the utmost, non-physical sense)

I think it's more-so used when a girl dresses in a uni or masculine way... And maybe tops that off with behavior that is more common in males.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Tomboy #153247
03/30/06 09:44 PM
03/30/06 09:44 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Nice topic!

(LLC, your dinner's on the table, honey. Can I offer you a massage and a beer? )

I hardly ever hear the term used, except by my mom (and myself - I suppose I got it from her), but I'm sure the same "kind" of people still exist. I suppose I would consider myself one.

I like chick flicks (to some extent), I can go on forever about how cute a guy is, but I choose not to, except on here, because I'm too shy (how cute our avatars are, is the reason why SB and I have them there, by the way... ), and I'm very emotional - I guess I'm the "typical" girl in those ways. But, there are many ways in which I differ from most of my friends. These are all just generalizations, of course, to compare to other girls...but this is how I figure that I differ:

- I hate shopping.
- I don't carry a purse.
- I rarely enjoy dressing up - not to mention, I have a terrible taste for fashion. I mean, I'm not wearing green polka dot pants and an orange and pink striped shirt right now, but I've never been one of those who can understand what's "in" and what looks really good as an "off-set to" whatever. I can see when things match, but I just don't "get" fashion.
- I don't wear nail polish or makeup, and I only wear a watch and cross necklace as jewelry.
- I get annoyed with stuff that is too frilly, pink, lacy, fluffy, etc.
- I hate talking on the phone, except to my best friend...simply because the conversation always flows. I also don't have (or want) a cell phone - I might get one for safety and convenience reasons, however, when the time comes where I need one.
- I do enjoy mob movies.
- I love roller coasters (not that most girls don't like them, but I think some are more scared of them...?)
- Though I certainly can't play it, I love following baseball (MLB - Astros), and not just for the cute guys in tight uniforms! Most people at school just think I'm a nut for obsessing over it so much.
- I like beer, and my dream (as in, if I didn't need a job... ) is to sit in a recliner drinking beer and watching baseball.
- I'm not extremely "tough" or strong, but I hate admitting pain or not being able to do something - I always try to keep up with the guys on things like working, carrying stuff, etc., and I'm extremely stubborn.
- I sometimes enjoy the company of guys more than girls. I hang out with about equal amounts of each, but I think guys are a lot less complicated to get along with than girls...myself, included. Growing up with a brother, no sister, and two guy cousins who are like brothers, I've learned to deal with the annoying habits of guys and appreciate the better things of them.

As I said, most of my girl friends aren't the same as I am on these things, but that's, of course, not to say I'm the only one. I know there's probably a lot of other girls who share my feelings and way of doing things.

Re: Tomboy #153248
03/30/06 09:54 PM
03/30/06 09:54 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I like tomboys...they're better than the girlie-girls who try (and fail) to act like stuck up Valley girls. :p

Re: Tomboy #153249
03/30/06 11:06 PM
03/30/06 11:06 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I don't hear that term used much anymore, but I'm sure tomboys still exist. Like Apple said, there isn't anything wrong with it, and usually it's the young girls who seem to have some of the same interests as boys. And as you become an adult, some of the same interests stay with you.

When I was a kid, I loved to play baseball in the back yard with my boy "friend" neighbor, climbed trees, and even remember playing with toy guns. Is that even acceptable anymore? Oh, and I cringe when I think of the time that same boy and I were picking up toads and won't tell you what a cruel thing we did. I can't believe that was me.

On the other hand, I loved to play with dolls, paperdolls, jump rope, hopscotch, get in my mom's lipstick and play dress-up and in general girly things, and have slumber parties of course.

As I became a teen, those tomboy interests disappeared and of course boys in general, as opposed to boy type interests, became a number one interest. :p

Now I do like action movies, good whackings (like on the Sopranos) but I also like a sweet love story, but definitely not into sports or cars, won't go near a toad, and would probably break every bone in my body if I tried to climb a tree.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Tomboy #153250
03/30/06 11:22 PM
03/30/06 11:22 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:

(LLC, your dinner's on the table, honey. Can I offer you a massage and a beer? )

Good. Now, clean the house and wait for me in the bedroom while I eat my steak. With my hands. No silverwear... Like a real man should. Grrrrrrr...

Returning from that imbalance of testostorone, I think I have to agree with Double-J by saying I would prefer a girl some tomboyish interests over a stuck up girlie-girl myself. Which, now that I--the vegetarian man who does not watch sports--put that into words, it seems a bit awkward. :p

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Tomboy #153251
03/30/06 11:31 PM
03/30/06 11:31 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Haha, I started to reply to this without even seeing that you directed a question to me.. haha

Quote:
bogey posted pictures showing how her face got dirty after soccer match, or maybe I mixed it up with another thread, but nevermind, and she says she hang out with guys more than girls. bogey, if you read this, please tell me do ppl call you a "tomboy" a lot for that? do you feel like a tomboy? do you like it or does that bother you?
I've always been called a tomboy because I wear jeans/t-shirt instead of a dress or a skirt. And I play a lot of sports.. including tackle football and street hockey with some guys from back home. I don't mind getting dirty. As a matter of fact, I think the funnest soccer games are the muddy ones that you can slide tackle real easily in. And I have a tendency to stick up for myself, physically.. when I'm playing sports, or just in life in general.. whether its against guys or girls, if they deserve it, I'll hit them.. hard. :p

It doesn't bother me at all.. I'd rather be known as a tomboy than a priss. I can hold my own.

Haha, when I was about 8.. most girls my age were playing with their dolls and barbies.. I was pretending to be Michaelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I pretended to be Power Rangers a lot too.

My grandma ALWAYS tells me... "I was so excited when you were born because I thought I'd FINALLY be getting a princess. And here it turns out I got another prince." (Most of my family is male.. theres very few girls)

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Tomboy #153252
04/10/06 04:07 PM
04/10/06 04:07 PM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
wow those were interesting replies, thank you!

Gina & Bogey : an opposite question if I may - what do you consider to be the best thing about being a girl and not a boy?

for me, its the ability to gossip all night with my best friend - boys dont do that do they?

Re: Tomboy #153253
04/10/06 04:42 PM
04/10/06 04:42 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
- I hate shopping.
- I don't carry a purse.
- I rarely enjoy dressing up - not to mention, I have a terrible taste for fashion. I mean, I'm not wearing green polka dot pants and an orange and pink striped shirt right now, but I've never been one of those who can understand what's "in" and what looks really good as an "off-set to" whatever. I can see when things match, but I just don't "get" fashion.
- I don't wear nail polish or makeup, and I only wear a watch and cross necklace as jewelry.
- I get annoyed with stuff that is too frilly, pink, lacy, fluffy, etc.
- I hate talking on the phone, except to my best friend...simply because the conversation always flows. I also don't have (or want) a cell phone - I might get one for safety and convenience reasons, however, when the time comes where I need one.
- I do enjoy mob movies.
- I love roller coasters (not that most girls don't like them, but I think some are more scared of them...?)
- Though I certainly can't play it, I love following baseball (MLB - Astros), and not just for the cute guys in tight uniforms! Most people at school just think I'm a nut for obsessing over it so much.
- I like beer, and my dream (as in, if I didn't need a job... ) is to sit in a recliner drinking beer and watching baseball.
- I'm not extremely "tough" or strong, but I hate admitting pain or not being able to do something - I always try to keep up with the guys on things like working, carrying stuff, etc., and I'm extremely stubborn.
- I sometimes enjoy the company of guys more than girls. I hang out with about equal amounts of each, but I think guys are a lot less complicated to get along with than girls...myself, included. Growing up with a brother, no sister, and two guy cousins who are like brothers, I've learned to deal with the annoying habits of guys and appreciate the better things of them....
So apparently I suck at reading, and didn't see this before.. but anyway..
Wow, Gina.. I think me and you are one and the same.. Those are all me.. except for the beer part. While I'll drink it if I have to, I always prefer Rum & Coke, and if I can't get that then my good ol' Vladimir Vodka (its very cheap and gets the job done very fast ) That's one of the things my boyfriend's friends like about me - I don't drink girly drinks like Wine Coolers or that Hypnotiq stuff. I like me some Rum and Vodka

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:
wow those were interesting replies, thank you!

Gina & Bogey : an opposite question if I may - what do you consider to be the best thing about being a girl and not a boy?

for me, its the ability to gossip all night with my best friend - boys dont do that do they?
Umm.. honestly? I'm not sure.. I guess I'd have to say I like the challenge of proving myself to guys.. whether it be in soccer, in school, in drinking. It's a good feeling, in my opinion, to be "one of the guys"

About a month ago when I drank Vladimir Vokda straight with my friend Sean and we played Soul Caliber 3. (that's what he and all his friends do).. so he told me that I was officially "one of the guys"

Re: Tomboy #153254
04/10/06 05:43 PM
04/10/06 05:43 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
- I like beer

But you're right, why wouldn't you like it. How many beers does it take to get you drunk, by the way? :p

Quote:
and my dream is to sit in a recliner drinking beer and watching baseball.
Great! You're gonna end up like Homer Simpson...

Quote:
I think guys are a lot less complicated to get along with than girls.
That's true, and believe me, I know.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Tomboy #153255
04/10/06 05:50 PM
04/10/06 05:50 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
As a matter of fact, I think the funnest soccer games are the muddy ones that you can slide tackle real easily in.
Yeah, those are fun. Especially when you're a defender or a keeper, and all the grass around the goal is gone, only mud, sand and dirt left. Your clothes are totally dirty after a while.
And then those nasty tackles which would probably end up in a penalty kick, but you do them anyway. Just to injure the attacker.

Or maybe you go even further?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Tomboy #153256
04/10/06 06:03 PM
04/10/06 06:03 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Enzo, I only drink when my mom allows me, which isn't often, so there's no room for me to get drunk - though my cousin and I had a nice evening with margaritas a few weeks ago. Anyway, I've made it clear to her that I would never drink without her supervision or permission, because, as corny as that sounds, I want her trust. Once I'm old enough, I'll be Homer.

Bogey - awesome! I sort of figured you'd agree with me on those things...that's why you're so cool.

Debra, I think being a girl has quite a few advantages, still. Girls are very catty, and I suppose they compete, as well, but I guess that I wouldn't want to be a guy because of all the tough "macho man" talk they have to do - or maybe I'd somehow slide by being a nerd in the background. Also, probably not so much for gossip, but just for listening, I think girls are better. If the game's on, I understand where guys are coming from, but sometimes I just need someone to hear me out.

Re: Tomboy #153257
04/10/06 06:30 PM
04/10/06 06:30 PM
New York
MafiaJ Offline
Wiseguy
MafiaJ  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
Hmm I haven't heard that term for quite some time. That's what I used to be called back in the day but I couldn't really help it, I grew up with two older brothers so I was very much like that. Most of the things Gina listed I can agree with. I'm like this:

-I'm not much into chick flicks, its more comedy, action, and horror for me.
-I HATE shopping and dressing up, I cannot stand it! I don't understand how some women can take two hours to get ready, it doesn't make sense!
-I like alcohol, Kahlua is good, Molson XXX, basically any Canadian beer, and I love Smirnoff, and it’s delicious! haha
-I like sports, I really do. Growing up with two older brothers I was very into sports, especially football! I'm pretty good at punting actually! And I love playing B-ball when I can, not baseball, basketball.
-I like to watch mob films.
-I like hanging out with guys, its pretty fun.
-I hate the phone the longest I'll be on is 1 minute, my friends and I get to the point immediately.
-Oh yea, I like rollercoaster, camping, rock climbing, all that good stuff and I plan on going parasailing, skydiving, and bungee jumping next summer when I go to Canada, that should be fun!

I really don't like those girlie-girls, I'm not like that and my best friend isn't like that either, that's probably why we get along so well, plus we have the same odd sense of humor. Anyway, back to the whole tomboy thing, it's been many years since I last heard that term but I think it's for the younger kids, I never found it derogatory, it doesn't really mean anything, it's just a girl who is athletic and doesn't wear preppy clothes and such. I know a lot about sports and love cars but if that means I'm a tomboy then I guess I am.

"To announce that there should be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American people."-Theodore Roosevelt
"It's better to live one day as a lion, than a hundred as a sheep."-Benito Mussollini
Re: Tomboy #153258
04/10/06 07:08 PM
04/10/06 07:08 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Well, MafiaJ, you can join me and Gina's club of Cool Girls who do Guy Stuff

Re: Tomboy #153259
04/10/06 07:13 PM
04/10/06 07:13 PM
New York
MafiaJ Offline
Wiseguy
MafiaJ  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
Well, MafiaJ, you can join me and Gina's club of Cool Girls who do Guy Stuff
Hahah cool, sounds fun!

"To announce that there should be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American people."-Theodore Roosevelt
"It's better to live one day as a lion, than a hundred as a sheep."-Benito Mussollini

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull